2011 NHL Entry Draft Lotto…Oilers pick #1 as Devils win the Lottery!

By , April 12, 2011 6:07 pm
2011 NHL Entry Draft Lottery - Who Wins?

2011 NHL Entry Draft Lotto - Who Wins?

This is going on now on TSN… I’ll “live blog” this in the comments, since Steve-O did this last year, then I’ll update the main post with the winner.

Live Blog:

Racki:
Live Blogging the NHL draft lottery…. right now TSN has the bottom 5 GMs in the house right now… these are the guys that all can potentially earn the #1 overall draft pick in this year’s draft.

Racki:
Right now they’re doing a spot on Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, and he gives his own self-assessment…

- Notes his strengths as: Vision, side to side agility / speed
- Notes that without that speed he’d get bumped around a lot
- Notes he’s more of a setup man on the PP
- Feels his defensive game has improved
- Likes to separate man from puck rather than lay the big hit.

Racki:
Bob McKenzie does a survey of various scouts every so often, at this point here are the rankings:

1. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
2. Adam Larsson
3. Gabriel Landeskog
4. Jonathan Huberdeau
5. Sean Couturier
6. Ryan Strome
7. Dougie Hamilton
8. Ryan Murphy
9. Duncan Siemens
10 Mika Zibanejad

It sounds like there was a pretty big gap between RNH and Larsson.. so RNH sounds like the current consensus #1 pick.

Racki:
Landeskog gets interviewed by Duthie. Duthie mentions how Taylor Hall thinks he can play in the NHL next year. Landeskog mentions he’s a 2-way player that can play in any situation (even mentions taking draws??). James Duthie notes that he has ZERO accent (like Nick Lidstrom)

Racki:
Ryan Rishaug now interviewing Taylor Hall about his experiences last year. Rishaug points out that the Oilers were impressed with Hall’s knowledge of the organization. Hall notes he also knew a lot about the Bruins and was very excited to be selected by us (for what it’s worth).

Rishaug also notes that Oilers fans were polled by the Sun on who we should take in the draft: take the forward, take the center, take the defenseman, or take the best player…
Overwhelming 50% of scouts saying: take best player available if you have the #1 pick

Racki:
#5 goes to… the NYI…. there is a change… which means that the Oilers didn’t win the lotto…. the Devils did…

THE OILERS GET #1!!!!

Racki:
#4 goes to the Devils

Again.. the Oilers get #1!!! (this is pointed out by James Duthie who knows that the Devils moved up in the draft, thus the Oil keep their spot).

Racki:
#3 goes to the Panthers and #2 goes to the Avalanche

So to sum up:

1 – Oilers
2 – Avalanche
3 – Panthers
4 – Devils
5 – NYI

The Senators get bumped down to #6.

Congrats, Oil fans!!!

Here is the current pick order that has been determined as of this point:

1. Edmonton Oilers
2. Colorado Avalanche
3. Florida Panthers
4. New Jersey Devils
5. New York Islanders
6. Ottawa Senators
7. Atlanta Thrashers
8. Columbus Blue Jackets
9. Boston Bruins (from Toronto Maple Leafs)
10. Minnesota Wild
11. Colorado Avalanche (from St. Louis Blues)
12. Carolina Hurricanes
13. Calgary Flames
14. Dallas Stars

49 Responses to “2011 NHL Entry Draft Lotto…Oilers pick #1 as Devils win the Lottery!”

- Notes his strengths as: Vision, side to side agility / speed
    - Notes that without that speed he’d get bumped around a lot
    - Notes he’s more of a setup man on the PP
    - Feels his defensive game has improved
    - Likes to separate man from puck rather than lay the big hit.

1. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
    2. Adam Larsson
    3. Gabriel Landeskog
    4. Jonathan Huberdeau
    5. Sean Couturier
    6. Ryan Strome
    7. Dougie Hamilton
    8. Ryan Murphy
    9. Duncan Siemens
    10 Mika Zibanejad

THE OILERS GET #1!!!!

#4 goes to the Devils

Again.. the Oilers get #1!!!

#3 goes to the Panthers and #2 goes to the Avalanche

So to sum up:

1 – Oilers
    2 – Avalanche
    3 – Panthers
    4 – Devils
    5 – NYI

The Senators get bumped down to #6.

Congrats, Oil fans!!!

9. MetalOil says:

Well this seems all to familiar. Now a couple of months of speculating, mock drafts and crazy trade scenarios that will see us trade half our roster for Sid the Kid, I think this year I am gonna sit back and just let the process take care of it’s self.

Go Bolts Go!!!!!!!!!

1. Edmonton Oilers
    2. Colorado Avalanche
    3. Florida Panthers
    4. New Jersey Devils
    5. New York Islanders
    6. Ottawa Senators
    7. Atlanta Thrashers
    8. Columbus Blue Jackets
    9. Boston Bruins (from Toronto Maple Leafs)
    10. Minnesota Wild
    11. Colorado Avalanche (from St. Louis Blues)
    12. Carolina Hurricanes
    13. Calgary Flames
    14. Dallas Stars

Murray is pissshed. lol

hahah yah, at first he had that “wait.. did I win?.. please tell me I won…” look. Then Boom… New Jersey… “Mothafucka!!!”. Meanwhile Tambo looked like he was about to crap his pants from excitement, but held it in respectfully.

(btw, laughed @ “pisshed”)

So I’ll say we have to go with RHN. Playmaking centre that we desperately need. I’d also like to see Hemsky and LA’s first used to move up to top ten if possible and grab Couturier or Hubredeau.

chucker:
    So I’ll say we have to go with RHN.Playmaking centre that we desperately need.I’d also like to see Hemsky and LA’s first used to move up to top ten if possible and grab Couturier or Hubredeau.

If we made that jump, I wouldn’t pick RNH. I’d pick Larsson and Couturier or Huberdeau. I would NOT (edit: oops..) draft two centers.

Really there is risk and reward with all these guys.

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins:
    Reward: the kid has EXCEPTIONAL talent. A very high top end.

Adam Larrson:

Gabriel Landeskog:

Yeah, as I said earlier, I think Couturier is very under rated in this draft. He’s a big dude who can play both ways. We could use that. I do have the same concern with RHN as you, however I am hoping he can fill out to 190ish and play centre. A bit of a risk though, especially with all the skilled small guys we have. He is over six feet though, so if he fills out, it’s good. I guess we’ll have to see what Sardachny says about his body potential.

Larsson would be pretty hard to pass up as well. He was very well spoken on the draft thing.

I’m just glad we have stuthemagnificentbastard picking.

16. John says:

I think the inability of anyone to clearly build a case for any of these 3 or 4 guys to be the decisive #1 choice (or even how these players should rank in general) cuts a lot of slack for the scouting staffers for the first 5 or so teams picking this year. Having said that it will be interesting to see how the Oilers staff approaches their first pick; Stu & Co. definitely will be earning their money this time around ;)

17. oilinblood says:

Racki: If we made that jump, I wouldn’t pick RNH. I’d pick Larsson and Couturier or Huberdeau. I would draft two centers. I have been a big long text-message debate with a good buddy of mine (and fellow Oiler fanatic) as to who we should pick. I don’t think that either of us really have a for-sure pick we want to see.Really there is risk and reward with all these guys.Ryan Nugent-Hopkins:Risk: Too small.. might not even play in the NHL as a centerman.. might need to go back to junior because of his size to bulk upReward: the kid has EXCEPTIONAL talent. A very high top end. Adam Larrson:Risk: He hasn’t really proven quite yet to have the offensive talent (numbers aren’t there yet.. but he’s playing with men). His stock has dropped a bit.Reward: He is EXPECTED to be a very solid two-way d-man… potential “next Lidstrom” material. Gabriel Landeskog:Risk: His numbers are decent, but not outstandingly good (I mean, not #1 overall good). Will he be nothing more than a solid checking winger?Reward: He’s been called the “Swedish Mike Richards”. His size is already there (200+lbs). He plays a solid two-way game. It’s a tough call. I personally think the top 3 are likely “can’t miss” players… we won’t be disappointed with either of the 3. On the surface, they each meet some sort of need of this team – RNH meets our need for a world class centreman (but will he play center?), Adam Larsson meets our need for a blueline rock, and Gabriel Landeskog meets our need for more grit/size/strength in the top six. Not an easy choice!

I am leaning to Larsson but last year i leaned to Seguin and spun on a dime when i saw the interviews. The interview won it for Hall to me. If RHN and Larsson both nail the interviews I lean to Larsson as a franchise anchor. Unlike others floating in and out of positions Larsson has been in a steady top 3 position for more than just this year. It goes to show his consistency and readiness. Others are jumping up or dropping down with evident chaos and that doesnt speak well to them…RISE OR FALL. I like going with Canadians and have a deep bias but Larsson’s readiness speaks for itself. With all the movement thru out the year in the rankings its not hard to believe that there is a gem centre to be found in this draft who hasnt had his big leap yet and is playing the steady hare like Doug Weight. I will trust in the scouts.

The interviews will play heavily.

People forget we have Lander. I expect Lander will be the pick of that draft for us (which i said on draft day and have only seen more proof i am right and not much at all to the contrary–despite Magnums great rookie year)

My friends were telling me all day Ottawa was going to win it, and for a moment I was ready to kill them thinking Ottawa had won it lol. I’m just glad that Stu and co get to pick the guy that they feel is best. Its down to Nugent-Hopkins and Larsson for me. I think it will be RNH tho and that we will try and jump up and grab a defender mid-first round. Who knows, it will definatly be interesting to see what happens and I look forward to the interviews and such. Should make the next few episodes of Oil Change even more interesting.

Btw, i just realized my typo above (that I corrected). I said that I *would* draft two centers. Obviously meant that I *would not* draft two centers. I think the need for a top center is important, but I also think that RNH is a bit of a long shot to play center because of his diminutive size. I think he’s a hell of a hockey player though and likely will be a superstar in the league… but as a center? No guarantees.

So I’m back on the Larsson bandwagon again. I saw we scoop up Larsson with pick #1… then with LA’s pick, we do everything in our power to move up. It’s unlikely that we’ll move up far enough, but you never know. I’d like to hope we could then pick up a Strome, Huberdeau, or maybe Hamilton (yes I know he’s D, but I see no reason to not stock the shelves if there isn’t a better player available).

As far as interviews.. I’m not one that thinks it’s irrelevant at all, but I wouldn’t put HUGE stock in it either (it could be a good tie-breaker, however). At any rate, Landeskog sounds like the best interview of the bunch so far. Very well spoken (and he has next to no accent, incidentally). RNH sounds like your typical nervous, happy-to-be-here kid that just wants to make a good impression (and that isn’t a bad thing at all). I haven’t heard Larsson at all.

B.O: the final episode of Oil Change is next week. No talk that I’ve heard of continuing the show.

There’s the Draft Lotto in a nutshell. I think you guys will like those expressions.

As for the actual draft I total trust in Stu (Magnificent Bastard) MacGregor and his team. I doubt any of the players drafted except for Landeskog could actually play in the show next season, maybe Larsson. Yet again I don’t think I’ll put any strong emphasis on drafting opinions until the combine has come and past, it probably won’t make too much difference but it does have the potential to influence my opinion a bit. When players are being scouted its almost primarily based on skill.

As for the Oil Change I hope it continues the next two or three seasons to document this team from rebuild up, I think that would be quite interesting. I kind of wish HBO would take over though but I don’t think they would get too many viewers at this time. It will be interesting if things go somewhat as planned, documenting the new building of the arena, almost a full team change around and the push deep into the playoffs potentially sometime in the next few seasons.

I’m getting kind of sick of the rebuild though and I think we have a good stockpile of players, or at least after this draft to finally start putting pieces together. I really hope ST does something ballsy this summer, like trade up within top 8 of the draft, submit an offer sheet to Stamkos/go after and sign Erik Gudbranson (If possible) etc.

21. MetalOil says:

I am still on the Larrson bandwagon too but the more I think about it and the more i see and read on Niagara Icedog center Ryan Strome the more I want up to trade the LA pick and something else to move up in the draft and take him. Strome has built up a reputation as being a Center who can do it all. He can score, he can hit, can fight and is strong defensively. One scouting report says that Strome is extremely difficult to knock off the puck when he has it and when he does not have the puck is very aggressive in his pursuit of it.

Srome is currently pegged as going 7th in many mock drafts so it would probably take Hemsky and LA’s pick to move up and grab him but I could also see Strome dropping a bit as his pt totals really exploded this season, He was pegged as a 2nd round pick heading into this season.

I am buying into the hype.

I would definitely be on board with that, MO… that’s what I’ve been hoping for… draft Larsson with #1, then move up with LA pick and draft Strome. Perhaps with NJ jumping up, they might be a target…? Do they want “win now” players like Hemsky or someone else? Or do they want prospects? (although for the record, if we’re giving Hemsky, I don’t think we need to give the LA pick… or else we get back more in return).

23. MetalOil says:

MetalOil: Plus if we draft Hopkins 1st overall then down the road we will be faced with some large salary demands at forward and we could potentially become one of those teams who’s cap is too heavily invested in one area(forward) leaving big holes in the lineup elsewhere(on D).Having 1st overall picks is great but with it comes the need for fiscal management as these players will soon eat away a large chunk of cap room. Now really should be the time to invest on defense with a Larrson pick and if we play our cards right we still should be able to land a sought after center in this draft in addition to fill that hole as well.Hearing comments comparing Hopkins to The Great One, apparently coming from high up Oiler scouts lead me to the belief that the Oilers draft propaganda is in full swing this year. In a wide open draft, such as the one coming up that is probably the best strategy to employ IMO.

Tambellini’s presser today said that the mandate for our scouts is to get bigger in every position. Not sure if that applies to our first pick, but I’ve always wanted Couturier (big) and Larsson (big). RHN may be super skilled, but he’s a feather. Tough decisions will be made.

Couturier may ends up being our Paajarvi pick this year? (for the 2nd pick). I know he won’t slide down below 14, but if we traded up into the top 10, maybe we get him late, with Huberdeau and Strome and Hamilton having their stocks increase (and Couturier’s own stock decreasing). Craig Button on TSN did a mock draft and Couturier going at 7. Now, I wouldn’t pick him at 1, but I sure as hell would be happy with him at 7.

I’m 100% on board with the idea of Larsson first overall and Strome, Huberdeau, or Couturier with a 2nd top 10 pick at the cost of a bigger piece (like Hemsky… or LA’s first + more… but not LA’s 1st + Hemsky unless more comes our way). Huberdeau and Strome don’t have anywhere near the size right now, but they apparently have great talent, and have the “frame” to work with.

I still wonder if NJ at #4 might be our best bet at getting another top 10.

26. MetalOil says:

Strome is listed at only 175 on NHL.com’s player rankings but on the Icedogs website he is listed as being 183 pounds. Not huge but he ain’t small for a 17 year old and he seems to be able to handle himself pretty well out there. He also had a goal and 2 helpers in the Icedogs 6-1 win today over the Oshawa Generals giving the Icedogs a 3-1 series lead in the OHL playoffs.

Yah I saw his weight (and Huberdeau’s) but both are 6’1… although so is RNH, mind you. But RNH doesn’t have that frame where you think “oh he’ll be big one day” whereas Huberdeau for sure does (even though he is small), and I guess if Strome is already 183, that’s not too bad for his age.

And again… this is where the draft combine will help make things a bit more clear as to whether RNH has it in him or not (to bulk up), along with the other guys.

28. John says:

RNH might have mad skills but like Tambi, I am getting a little tired of the “little heros” syndrome this team has been afflicted with for several years now. Guys like Eberle, Hemsky, Brule, Cogliano, Gagner, etc all have skill & play hard but they definitely get pushed around & pounded into the ice by a lot of Western Conference teams all season. Might even cut down on the man games lost to injury if we had a better blend of sizable skill players to sprinkle through the top two lines as well as the bottom two. I would like to see the Oil pick Larsson #1, then move up for a decent sized forward with another high first round pick.

Yah, I liked the idea of making this team bigger. I’m starting to think I like every idea… lol

Wait until the playoffs. Couturier and Hopkins will dominate and move up much like Hall did last year. I’m thinking no way does/should Couturier fall to 7. If he does, there are a lot of dumb GMs out there. Well, at least four or five. :P

Well, considering RNH’s Rebels are down 3-1 against Medicine Hat (this is round 2), we probably won’t see him boosted up in rank any more (well, by that I mean, increasing the gap between 1 and 2, since he’s #1). But RNH does have 9 points in 8 games, which is decent.

Couturier’s Voultigeurs are tied 2-2 in round 2, and Couturier has 10 pts in 8 games. I am hoping they go far, and give us some more time to take a good look.

32. Ktown says:

I’m liking what I hear about the Nuge from all the scouts, writers, etc. but I am concerned with his size. Granted, he’s 6′ tall, so there’s room to put some meat on that frame – but to add an extra 30lbs (at least) could seriously jeopardize his game. Not to mention that’s a lot of muscle to put on that I don’t see happening in a short period. Maybe he hits a growth spurt (the kid’s only 18).

That said, I’m secretly hoping that Couturier continues to fall a bit in the rankings. Pick up Larsson with the #1 and then see if a deal can be made to jump up the draft a bit and snipe Couturier with a top third pick…

There are a lot of gambles there – 1) will Couturier fall much lower? – I doubt it, and I’m curious if he’ fallen as much as other guys around him have just gone up. 2) Will Tambi be able to pull the trigger on a deal that sends the LAK pick and a player (or two) to get that #10ish pick I could see needing to have a shot at this…

fun times, fun times… We’ll see what Stu and the boys have planned, I guess.

So, perhaps the Thrashers #7 pick is up for grabs?

The article just talks about how the Thrashers are looking for a scorer. It would take a lot to get that 1st, but perhaps if we traded a “redundant” body here and LA’s first, we could move up. Or maybe it doesn’t even take that, I don’t know.

Of all the teams in the top ten, I would think Altanta’s pick would be the one most in play. They could use a guy like Hemsky as well. They need a playmaker there. L.A.’s first and Hemsky and get a 1st and 4th back I’d offer.

I am lukewarm to trading Hemsky, but I think if we trade Hemsky, you’d have to figure it gets us the 7th without padding the deal. Penner got us a 1st rounder and a prospect.

Sorry… I critique every single trade suggestion lol

BTW, not saying we should trade Hemsky for their 1st.. just saying that *should* get it done, IMHO… or if the injury concerns are too much, maybe it gets padded a bit more, but not with a 1st

36. MetalOil says:

I would offer Hemsky plus our first 2nd round pick to move up.

I still think it’s too much. I know some overvalue Hemsky too much, but I think the opposite exists too.. some undervalue him too much (not to say either of you guys don’t value him.. just maybe that you might have more tendency to do it because of others out there who suggest Hemsky isn’t that great of a player).

It probably isn’t far off though, and maybe from the Atlanta perspective it might feel like not enough or whatever too.

For me, I just don’t think I’d move Hemsky unless there was more certainty. Maybe LA’s 1st, Hemsky for Atlanta’s first and a high prospect, like Cormier.

Anyways, I feel dirty for even talking about trading Hemsky, so I’ll just leave that thought out there and not consider him trade bait anymore! :P

38. dawgtoy says:

dawgtoy: Draft picks are obviously at their highest value right before or during the draft. Therefore the cost to move up will likely need to be LA’s pick and Hemsky. Personally I think in the long run it would be the best thing we could do. If Hemsky isn’t dealt on draft day, and he gets hurt….?

You have my full support on this. I floated the same idea earlier. Hemsky and L.A’s first for Atlanta’s 7th and a 4th/5th. I think that would do it.

40. dawgtoy says:

dawgtoy: Dougie Hamilton would look good in Oiler silks…If they trade up, he has to be on their radar.

Yeah, he should definitely get consideration.

Link

Racki: Jonathan Willis has a new article up about Couturier. He notes that he wouldn’t draft him at #1 overall (that wouldn’t be too wise, really), but suggests the possibility of trading down. Anyways, he poses a good argument, and I think this is one you can get behind, Chucker, since you have been touting Couturier as “the” pick.Link

Interesting stuff. I still say that Florida takes him if he’s available. They need centremen. Tallon is known for not always picking the guy who’s expected to go as well.

I still like the guy. He puts up points, he’s big, wins faceoffs, kills penalties and had the same number of points as last year even missing ten games and with mono. That +55 is pretty nice as well. I wonder if he didn’t miss those games and was healthy if he would have dropped so far. I doubt it personally.

I’m not taking away anything for RNH as he’s definitely a talent. He’ll also add on a few pounds and end up around 180 I think. Stome would be a nice consolation if we cannot get another top five. I really think Tambellini needs to make that home run this year at the draft. The top ten is very good. If we get two of them, we’re basically done with a lot of this lottery crap. I don’t know that those picks are out there for the taking is all.

Racki: Yah I think RNH will be a phenomenal talent, but his body type seems to scream East Conference, to me. There is possibility i’m looking at this post a few years from now laughing though, as who knows… he could put on weight. However I just see him as a guy destined to play the wing in the West, if he’s drafted in the West.

Patrick Kane can’t weigh more than a buck sixty-five. If he’s got this kind of skill, it may be moot.

Yah, but Patrick Kane isn’t a center in Chicago either (or is he? I think he’s RW now, right?). I’m just saying, if we’re looking for a center, RNH likely isn’t it. That said, I definitely would have no problems with him here as a wing. And again, I could be way off base in thinking he can’t play center (at the NHL level in the West). That is a complete generalization on my part. Ribeiro is probably a better example of a small center who has been successful in the west (albeit maybe not that big of a success story).

Yeah, Toews usually centres that line.

RNH 31 – 75 – 106PTS
    Gags 35 – 83 – 118PTS
    Kane 62 – 83 -145PTS

I think this draft will come down to or Couturier/Larrson.

zackman35: I think Kane had a much better junior career than RNH had or will ever have. I’ve read some comparisons (I think at Oilers Nation) and it mentioned how Kane was much more impressive than RNH 5×5 and just flat out statistically Kane was a better player. Although I think the London Knights were quite stacked that year and I think that was the year that Kane/Gags were on the same team/line? Look at these draft year stats…RNH 31 – 75 – 106PTSGags 35 – 83 – 118PTSKane 62 – 83 -145PTS This is what I worry about quite a bit, RNH may not have as good of line mates as the Knights had that year but still he got a considerable amount of ice time and a lot of PP time. Even as good as Kane and Gags were in juniors they are still not elite (Kane may be Pseudo-elite). Anyways, RNH has decent height but his build, unless he is an extremely late bloomer, he doesn’t shout out I’m going to have Sidney Crosby Quadrosaurus Rex Quads, or any type of bulky build. Like Racki mentioned, all of the top centers in the west with the exception of Ribero are either over 6′ 200lbs+ or like 5’10 190lbs+. If Stu and his team choose RNH first overall I’ll be pretty damn excited because he must be one hell of an exceptional player (he is good but every time I’ve seen him but he’s not a “holy shit he has the puck, here comes a goal-or assist in his case”). I’m still curious to see what happens at the combine and how his body is interpreted, that will make or break him as an Oiler I think. Taking the time to look up the top centers in the west, well all of them for that matter, move over Chucker, I’m boarding the Couturier train/bandwagon for top center pick. I think this draft will come down to or Couturier/Larrson.EDIT: I guess that is in the context if the Oilers draft for center. RNH could move to wing but then again so could Gagner.

Yeah, how many chances do you get to draft a centreman with that kind of size and ability? Not often. I’m thinking he’s this year’s Cam Fowler or Matt Duchesne. Guys that turned out fantastic and were rated very high and dropped. We need big centres and big skilled D. If it was up to me it would be Couturier and Larsson as the two guys I’m really interested in. Larsson looks like a solid SOB too. In my “I hope we win the lottery mind”, we’d get both, but I don’t know if that’s possible. I do think we should still go hard after one of those 6-9 picks and if Couturier’s gone, then we go for BPA with me leaning towards Strome or Hubredeau.