Some more information regarding Teubert…

By , March 3, 2011 10:11 am
Hopefully there is a lot more of this comraderie in the Oilers future..

Hopefully there is a lot more of this comraderie in the Oilers future..

A while back, I had a conversation with fellow blogger Bobby Scribe from lakingsnews.com. He was asking me for information on Dustin Penner a month before the trade to learn more about him, which I provided.

Once the trade happened, Bobby got back in touch with me to return the favor on Teubert. If any of you guys have any questions on Teubert, please forward them off to me (in the comments is fine, or e-mail contact at thiswebsite (or use the contact us form under the help menu). Anyways, here is the information he’s provided so far, and it unfortunately adds to the uneasy feeling many are having about this trade. I had initially started things off by asking if Teubert was just a victim of the numbers game in L.A. (as they have a lot of D-talent there… both in the system, and in the NHL). Here were his comments (and more from the rest of the NHL world):

Regarding the numbers game, absolutely. He fell down the depth chart for several reasons: 1. Other defensemen (Voynov, Muzzin and Martinez) elevated their game to another level. Martinez ultimately made the team as the number 6 guy 2. Colten struggled with the fundamentals of the game and didn’t bring the physical brand for which he was drafted and 3. His skating put him a step behind.

He is only 20 years old and defensemen take longer as we all know. If he can work on his skating and get better at the positional game, he could develop into a good defensive defenseman.

I am still surprised at the trade. I think Tambs should have gotten Muzzin (a big, strong defenseman who can skate and brings both D and O) + a 1st for Penner. Dustin is going into his prime. It was a bad trade for the Oilers and I want to see them succeed. They are so much fun to watch.

Here are some other bits of information on Teubert that are out there (most of this will be old news to you, as I posted almost all of this already in comments.. but in case you missed it..):

Jason Gregor and Ryan Rishaug interviewed his now former coach in Manchester (the Monarchs of the AHL). You can read up on that here, rather than me posting the whole thing here and stealing their thunder.

Rishaug posted a summary snippet on Twitter (former coach’s words): “Big, brave stand up guy, needs to make better decisions with puck at times, but moves well.”

Here’s some quotes I posted in the trade deadline thread already, that some may have missed:

Lombardi on Teubert: “He’s come a long way. He was arguably one of our most improved players down there (in the AHL)”

Teubert on his chances with the Oil “This is just great news. The Kings had a strong roster with a lot of depth. For me, to be going to the Oilers, and having an opportunity to be a part of that organization is exciting. But I’m not expecting to walk in and just get handed an opportunity. I have to earn what I get.”

Teubert on Eberle: “We always joked about retiring together”

More Lombardi on Teubert:

“[Teubert has] made a lot of progress, but he still has a lot to learn,” said Lombardi. “The whole thing about his physical game still has to be channelled in the right direction. You can’t play like the Flyers of the Seventies, so you have to channel that type of aggression. You can’t get away with just running around being physical.”

“I think we saw in the Kings rookie camp [tournament held in September 2009], I loved the fact that when you saw that guy run Hickey, he was in there,” said Lombardi. “Those are the type of things that, as that type of player, he’s got to do. But he’s got to pick his spots better.”

“Then, he’s got to get smarter with the puck,” added Lombardi. “Sometimes these guys try to add to their game too much, thinking they should be rushing pucks. Whoa. You were drafted to be that physical, make the first pass guy.”

“I think he had his ups and downs last year,” Lombardi noted. “The World Junior team wanted him because of that [toughness] element, just like why we drafted him. But he got a big wake-up call when we sent him to the [Ontario Reign of the] ECHL [late last year]. He wasn’t ready for [the AHL].

David Staples also already summarized the Oilogosphere’s opinion on the trade. It should be noted that this is the same Oilogosphere that was pissed off when Penner was signed to an offersheet in the first place. So take it with a grain of salt, I suppose.

Anyways, I’ll just reiterate my own thoughts on all of this. Right now, when I look at the deal, I can’t help but think that we got ripped off. I can’t help but think that Tambellini COULD have and SHOULD have asked for more. And I can’t help but think that Tambellini shouldn’t have made that deal, if Lombardi wasn’t willing to up the ante. As others have noted, there didn’t really seem to be any urgency to trade Penner. I don’t buy into ideas that he wanted out of here. One thing I can guarantee though… this hypocritical fan base would have chastized Tambellini if it did become known that Penner wanted out and he lost value because of it a year or so from now. But I won’t really go on about that.

It is what it is. Right now, I think this deal has the makings to turn out OK for us. As someone else noted, in the Pronger deal, we did get Jordan Eberle (and of course Ladislav Smid). That worked out pretty well. We might pick up another rock-solid NHLer with the Kings’ 1st rounder, not to mention the possibility of Colten Teubert turning out to be a punishing, shutdown d-man.

One thing I will make clear though for everyone is that this trade absolutely set the rebuild back. I think we all recognize this. Today, Scott Reynolds over at Copper N Blue also noted that Lowe mentioned that this year was year one of a 4 or 6 year process. That’s a scary thought. I am hoping that at least a couple of those years include us fumbling around in the playoffs. It might also not be a coincidence, the timing of this re-build and the new arena project, which has been noted by Lowetide. LT makes the bold comment: “The Oilers under owner Daryl Katz–and make no mistake this drawn out process is his vision–have decided that Edmonton fans will not see a contending team in Rexall Place.”

Speaking of LT, as I type this and was looking to link back to that article, I see he posted a new article on Colton Teubert yesterday, which you can find here.

So to conclude… give this whole thing time to sink in. By the time we really know how this deal turned out, we’re going to be closer to being in that new building, and closer to the end goal that Lowe, Katz and Tambellini had aimed for this team. Perhaps by then, this deal won’t even matter. But my hopes are that Teubert will one day become a solid piece of this team, and that draft pick will pan out into a fantastic player for us. Again, time will tell…

P.S. game day thread up here.

21 Responses to “Some more information regarding Teubert…”

There you have it.

Racki: Originally twatted by Dan Barnes of the journal, but re-tweeted by Copper N Blue (crediting them, since this is what caught my attention):“I’m told the Oilers’ mgt. sees Colten Teubert as no better than No. 5 D in the NHL but love his on-ice attitude. Oil don’t have enough edge now.”There you have it.

Great work guys. I’m now firmly on the side of, this is a bad trade.

A project player that has an upside as no. 5. God I hope this turns out better than it looks. Stu needs to work some magic now.

Yah, I’ll be honest… I was initially supporting this trade because when I researched Teubert (and remembering his WJHC days), it sounded good that we were getting him.

We’ve been talking about it at work here, and how this isn’t the first time the Oilers have dropped the ball on a trade in recent memory. I thought Lowe did a good job (as Steve-O noted.. pre-2005 CBA) in the past.

But I have doubts that they had enough guys kept in the loop… “this is what LA is offering us… can you beat it?”.

If Teubert is a 5th d-man, this draft pick better be flipped into something good. Cause my thoughts right now is that if this is all we got, then no, we shouldn’t have traded Penner.

I still think that we have to wait to really find out, but the fact that the Oilers admit that they weren’t expecting THAT much out of Teubert makes me go.. huh?!

I wonder partly if the Oil Brass are trying to prevent Teubert from becoming the “Lupul” of this deal by downplaying him a bit too. I don’t think that makes much sense either, but just throwing it out there. I’m finding it harder to defend these guys..

Yeah, it does make them hard to defend. GMs will always downplay expectations of players coming in, but the guy was “struggling at the AHL level” according to Lombardi an he has an upward ceiling of Matt Greene. Matt Greene was an abortion on ice for four years and only really got decent after we traded him. So that’s the preferred path? I don’t know man, this looks worse and worse the more I look at it.

I sure hope I’m wrong and just being dramatic, but it’s hard believe we can polish a turd.

Well, here’s some comforting news/science. I bet Tambi is stoked about it too.

8. John says:

Oh boy, to be honest before reading this newest stuff I was polishing TambiLowes’ shit myself; in other words I was willing to drink a glass of Koolaid & say, “Hey this trade should work out just fine in the end”. Now that I read that CT’s future top end expectation is a #5 defenceman (which we could have traded a 3rd pick & a prospect or 3rd or 4th liner for at anytime), this is a definite fail! Of course there there is still the posibility that the draft picks the Oilers aquired will turn into something positive but unless Tambi’s plan is to load up on picks so he can poach another guy with an Offer Sheet, it’s a slim shot indeed.

9. MetalOil says:

10. MetalOil says:

MetalOil:
    If this game does not show the need we have for team toughness then I don’t know what will. Sorry wrong thread.

Agreed MO. Go out and sign some sandpaper and rocks.

Agreed here too. I know Hall technically started the fight, but Dorsett wasn’t innocent in that either.. he went at Hall, which is what made Hall drop the gloves.

Really though, if your star player gets into a fight, and you’re a tough guy.. you better pick somebody as a dance partner some time after, if you ask me. Was disappointed in that. Dorsett only had the one shift though in the 3rd. Perhaps the Oil thought he’d be out more, and delayed the revenge.. but I doubt it. We’ve never really seen them have that in them all year.

I’m of the mind that right now sending messages to the rest of the NHL not to mess with our stars is more important than a point or two in a completely lost season.

Tencer kind of accused Petiot of being in between Hall/Dorsett and not doing anything, btw.. but I think Petiot just didn’t really know what was going on, more than anything.

Anyways, hell of a game for Hall. That move he made on Tyutin was embarrassing! Too bad he didn’t score.

13. MetalOil says:

Millhouse kind of accused Petiot of being in between Hall/Dorsett and not doing anything, btw.. but I think Petiot just didn’t really know what was going on, more than anything.

Well Steady Peti (well not so steady tonight) left the the rink tonight with his sticks and equipment bag which should signal his return to OKC. Probably not related to said incident, more likely just an indication that Pecks is ready to return to action. Boy could we have used him tonight.

14. NorwegianOiler says:

chucker:
    Agreed MO.Go out and sign some sandpaper and rocks.

I like it. We have some stone hands. Better have a rock or two as well. ;)

15. Mr.Majestyk says:

i think some fans that like the trade have drawn the comparison between Penner’s trade and Lubo’s trade…but i just don’t see it. Its more like the Smyth trade to me. It did suck having to lose Lubo but atleast we got an actual roster player in return…a younger player and highly touted in his own right. He had seen his ups and downs in Anaheim so fans were skeptical but he made an imediate impact on our team after the trade.

i’m all for showing patience while the team develops but i’m not going to say that this is a good trade until we start seeing the fruits of it. Till then, it remains a bad trade. Aside from Teubert becoming a stud d or one of those draft picks turning into a better NHL’er than Penner i think we lost the trade.

Another possible scenario would see us trading picks to move up in the draft…but i’m not always a big fan of that method. So if we traded LA’s 1st(22nd over all for example) and our 2nd(31st overall)what does that get us? 10th overall? Unless there’s a can’t miss prospect i’d rather see us stay exactly where we are and draft the best possible players available.

16. MetalOil says:

Sometimes a player and a certain organization just do not gel right. Here’s to hoping that Teuburt takes this trade as an eye opener and he starts to reach his true potential. Going through his first NHL training camp next fall should also help this kids progression.

17. victoriaoilerfan says:

Why trade a bird in the hand that you know and are not being forced to trade for a couple of strange birds flapping in the bushes? Especialy, when Penner is going to be incredibaly hard to replace. I invite anyone to go out and find a big body winger that scores 2-25 goals. That is why Klowe signed him and caused such a stir. Lowe overpaid and overrated Penner IMO, but I can understand what he was trying to achieve for the Oilers.
    All I can say is that no wonder the Kings like trading with us.
    Look at the history the last few years.

18. victoriaoilerfan says:

victoriaoilerfan: I took a day after this trade thinking I must have missed something because I didn’t like this deal at all. Sadly every day this thing looks worse to me not better.Why trade a bird in the hand that you know and are not being forced to trade for a couple of strange birds flapping in the bushes? Especialy, when Penner is going to be incredibaly hard to replace. I invite anyone to go out and find a big body winger that scores 20-25 goals. That is why Klowe signed him and caused such a stir. Lowe overpaid and over rated Penner IMO, but I can understand what he was trying to achieve for the Oilers.All I can say is that no wonder the Kings like trading with us.Look at the history the last few years.

19. victoriaoilerfan says:

Is the \edit’ feature working properly for everyone?
    Mine isn’t coming with the timer after I post.nihilistic tedEE

20. MetalOil says:

victoriaoilerfan:
    Is the \edit’ feature working properly for everyone?Mine isn’t coming with the timer after I post.nihilistic tedEE

No the edit button is out of commission for everyone.

21. victoriaoilerfan says:

MetalOil: No the edit button is out of commission for everyone.

Yikes, for a crummy typer like me that could be a disaster!
    Thanks