Monday Morning Standings – Post Deadline aka Post Oilers getting screwed-line

By , March 2, 2011 9:11 am

Couldn’t choose which pic I wanted to use, so you get both!

What a wild and crazy two weeks eh? Holy crap.

First up, Oilers get screwed in a trade. Again. Who is this Montgomery fellow? I think Tambellini just likes saying Montgomery. I imagine he does it in a bad British accent. “Well Montgomery ol’ chap, how about you join me for some tea?”

In all honesty, thats a pretty lateral move, but since the Oilers used to be good at picking out D-men from other teams minor systems this might turn out. The trade I’m not happy about is Penner for Teubert, a 20th pick and what will probably be 60th pick next year. We turn a 30 goal scoring signed for 4.25 mil (and could probably be re-signed for that, if not a little more) into picks and prospects…who we hope will turn into players like Penner.

Not happy. I bet they could have traded him next deadline if he wasn’t going to re-sign for a first and a third. So basically Teubert for a year of Penner. This is just like the Smyth and Pronger trades.

In other Oiler news, Vandermeer is kicking ass and taking names. Scrapped Lucic (a Steve-O favorite) in a beauty tilt. I want him signed for another year.

Also, the Oilers have won a couple games here and there. What the hell. If all it took was Tambellini talking with them, then he should have been down there weeks ago. But I suppose he wanted to lock up last before he did anything drastic.

Souray was put on recall waivers and still wasn’t claimed. I wonder if he’s figured it out yet, or still thinks he’s the bomb.

Oh, and Petiot got called up. Due to Peckham catching a fist to the chin.

In other league news, well, the trade deadline happened. Preceded by two weeks of trades. Check the comments of this post to find out who were all traded etc.

Also the Heritage Classic happened, and wasn’t all that hot. No one showed up for the alumni game, and it was too cold for the real game. Apparently they couldn’t even give the ice a decent scrap between periods. Or so I hear…I had no interest in watching it.

Lessard and Rosehill had a pretty good tilt.

Finally, Charlie Sheen gave me the best quote ever.

‎”I’m sorry, man, but I’ve got magic. I’ve got poetry in my fingertips. Most of the time — and this includes naps — I’m an F-18, bro. And I will destroy you in the air. I will deploy my ordinance to the ground.”

Thats awesome. And now onto the standings:

Conference

Here
Well, holy crap. When did Toronto start playing well? Things are looking interesting in the East, with Philly, Tampa, Boston and Pittsburgh with a pretty comfortable lead in the standings. Even the Caps I imagine are not too worried. But after that, 6 thru 11 looks to be pretty tight.

The west is crazy tight. Outside of Vancouver, Detroit and San Jose (when did they start playing well?) it is super close. 4th thru 12th are only separated by 8 points. 2 points separate 5th and 10th!

League

Here
And in the league standings (otherwise known as lets see how shitty the east/Oilers really is/are) we have Minny, Nashville, Anaheim and Columbus all above the cutoff line for the east. And Edmonton has pretty much locked up 1st or 2nd in the draft. Only a couple more games to go.

OKC Barons

The Barons currently sit 4th in the conference with 71 points, 7 points back from 1st and 1 point up on 10th. Hopefully Teubert helps out there.
Giroux is 3rd in league scoring with 64 in 60, and Moran is 12th with 50 in 60.
Gerber was sitting 15th in goalies prior to the call-up.

Oil Kings

The Oil Kings are sitting 6th in the conference with 65 points, 3 up on 7th. 6th has already locked up a playoff birth with 73 points so they might be close to guaranteeing a playoff spot.
Dylan Wruck is the highest Oil King (19th overall) with 72 points in 63 games, but the Oilers own Hamilton is sitting just ahead of him (18th), but Pitlick dropped to 42nd. The Nuge is sitting 4th. Bunz is also the 3rd ranked goalie.

Pools

5 mrs.gr80ne 110-113-24
6 dawgtoy 111-117-19
7 SamusBrattus 108-115-24
8 awesomeness 106-115-26
9 Metal Mulisha 98-113-36
10 d0nkey.punch(gr8one) 104-122-21

20 Responses to “Monday Morning Standings – Post Deadline aka Post Oilers getting screwed-line”

Well, apparently the dual images isn’t working. Once I get home tonight I’ll check it on my computer to make sure its just not work being stupid.

2. MetalOil says:

Tencer just twated that Khabby is taking shot at practice today. I will leave this one open for your own interpretation :)

3. oilinblood says:

Steve-O. Rack can confirm i feel exactly the same as you do on the Penner trade. Know what is really cool about the Vany fight with Lucic? He admitted he was still dazed from the hit from penner when he singled out vandy. Penner lays out Horton AND Lucic like they are little babies. Penner was trying to make a statement to stay, as if calling all the press over and stating that case wasnt clear enough.

So what aare the Oilers plans for this Customer Appreciation Night?

4. oilinblood says:

I know Rack thinks i need meds but i wont change my opinion that losing a 30 goal scorer who can play both wings, take draws, and lay out Lucic and Horton both in 3 seconds…. and getting prayers/4 year projects to even know what you have… in return is an important topic on an oilers/hockey site.

For the record, the meds comment was a joke, although I’m sure you know that. I have no problem with you hating the trade.. it was more the tone, and that you were getting frustrated/irritated by people having different opinions. If that’s how it is for you, this isn’t the right place to be.

It is completely OK for you to hate the trade just like it’s completely OK for anyone to like the trade. As I’ve been saying several times, I’m still on the fence. There is enough reason to believe that this is a decent trade. More people than just MacTavish are saying that it was a fair trade (read more posts around here, I’ve provided quite a bit of positive feedback on it from people, as well as positive feedback on Teubert). The pick sits at 17th right now. Given how tight it is in the standings, it can very quickly and easily even become a 12-15th (I do think there is more likelihood for it to drop in value though). Like chucker stated, the elite talent in this draft might be lacking, but there are still some solid players. Even in the worst of drafts, there’s still good players to be had, as well. Plus this pick can be flipped upwards as well too. I’m not worried.

I myself have stated that the deal has the potential to be the next Smyth trade, and I’m not sure entirely why it was made. My only guess is that Tambellini has plans on using up this cap space in other ways. We’ll have to see in the summer what sort of follow-up there is.

As for Teubert, he won’t be a quick development at all. I fully expect that. The average fan thinks in 1-year stretches, whereas a good GM thinks in 5 or more year periods. I know we all think Tambellini is a complete clueless idiot (hell, some of his other acquisitions have definitely been questionable), but I’d be interested to know what the long term plan is with this team. There is a lot of money available now to sign a REAL MVP goaltender (hell, even Vokoun at this point) as well as plan for re-signing Hall, Eberle, Paajarvi, Omark, Gagner, Hemsky, etc, etc, etc.

Anyways, no need to sell me on Penner… I miss the guy, and I too at times question whether the trade will be a good one for the team, but I’ve conceded that this won’t really be known for at least a few years.

I’m an F-18 and I’m dropping ordinance. Poetry in my finger tips etc. etc.

7. oilinblood says:

I knew it was a joke and yes my reference was in jest. I think what bothers me most is i am not believing the mentality that it is in the oilers interest to invest in more projects when you get rid of one of the few stable and constant assets.

Going into this deadline i felt pretty strongly about all parts of our organization (even to a degree centre with Lander and a few other nice picks and a whole lot of cap space for short term stop gaps); knowing that some werent going to be ready next year but we would likely have a strong vet core to assist the pupils as they arrive.

Penner in my vision matched the otehr players styles better and added the big bog presence. I used to bash on Hemmer and his injuries are alarming, and ihave chose to trade him over penner, but i didnt want to trade either. In my opinion the good Penner and Hemsky could do by just adding stability for another year is far more valuable than what we received.

but im harping on this again .

anyways. I will be running late for the game tomorrow.

two tix SEC 112 ROW 8 SEATS 10 and 11.

Facevalue 318.00 but will sell for 250.00 / i had given them to a buddy but now he cant go either so i can go and likely miss 20 minutes or the entire first… but…

sorry if the above is out of line or against rules. I just figured id give someone a chance. Let me know soon if interested because ill have to let him know.

8. oilinblood says:

chucker: I’m told it’s one of the deepest drafts in years with about 90 legit future NHLers to be had. The “not deep” people are looking at the top five. No superstars here, just really good players. It’s kind of like a stock performance. i.e A company makes a 5% profit and people bitch because they were expecting 5.5% so the stock falls. Get my drift?I’m an F-18 and I’m dropping ordinance. Poetry in my finger tips etc. etc.

What i have heard from the scouts ive talked to or my friends in media is this. The majority of players after 12 are big projects to the point you cant even tell what their ceiling is but at the same time if they busted you wouldnt be all that surprised. So obviously its going to be the chaos draft everyone pegs it to be. certain scouts will go crazy for a guy that no one else wants, and this time it will have nothing to do with being russian. Ive heard its like that from 12th over all to the 4th round. Also there are only a dozen players that scouts in majority think have the goods to play next year.

The fact its a weak draft doesnt mean they are all busts. What the concensus seems to be is this crop needs a lot of work still and a top dman in this crop isnt a convincing top dman, and a top centre isnt a convincing top centre (other than the top dozen players)

9. oilinblood says:

oh and hats off to SteveO’s pic choice.

10. dawgtoy says:

“Anyways, Penner rarely used his size the way you described. That part of his game was hugely missing. That said, you don’t have to sell Dustin Penner on me.. I’ve said many times recently and even back in year one that I like Penner.”

I couldn’t agree more about how Penner rarely using his size, but I found myself often criticizing his performance. IMO, he will be missed for this season, maybe next…but this team will evolve and grow by leaps and bounds. 27 will always be Dave Semenko to me. The trade didn’t knock my socks off, but whether Oil fans like it or not, bullets and prospects are an important part of this organization right now. Using the Detroit model, you look at your prospects and figure 25% make it to the team, the rest either don’t make it or are moved. This is a very realistic way of understanding the need to have an abundance of prospects. I made the mistake of reading all the comments on ON and Lowtide….not really sure if those people can call themselves Oiler fans.

OIB: Definitely not against the rules to sell tickets here.. I never mentioned anything about it either way, but I have no problems with that, unless you’re trying to get more than face value (which clearly you aren’t), since that is illegal. No worries at all with that. You might even want to post that in the general discussion section so it doesn’t get lost here. I’ll have a GDT up tomorrow morning/afternoon too if you want to post in there. You might want to leave contact info.

Anyways, on topic.. I’m optimistic that the pick will be good for us, whether we trade up, or pick as is. And I have been more optimistic again about Teubert. As I’ve said though, I do get why people are pissed about the trade. It has all the makings of a Ryan Smyth / Chris Pronger trade failure. I won’t harp on it either, but I can’t say enough that we need to be patient. But really, I didn’t like either that we created a hole to *potentially* (not guaranteed) fix another. I’m optimistic that it will work out yet though.

OIB: I’ll give you $150 or both tickets. :razz:

And yes, nice pic Steve-O, nice tilts.

I wouldn’t call the Pronger trade a failure, we’re still waiting for that one to turn out. Immediately it wasn’t a great deal but so far we have a young and still developing shut-down d-man in Smid, 1st round pick in 2007 Riley Nash who was traded for Marincin, and a pick that we call Jordan Eberle.

So the Pronger trade looks like this today…

To ANA:
    Pronger

To EDM:
    Smid – Young top four/six shutdown
    Marincin – 6’4″ 190lbs+ Up and coming physical puck moving d-man
    Jordan Eberle – Enough Said

I’m not saying that the Penner/Tuebert + Picks deal will end up like the Pronger trade but I see the Pronger trade as a pretty good one considering the circumstances of him just “wanting out”.

Yah actually I was reminded that the Pronger trade netted us Eberle a few days ago, and I already forgot about that ;) So yah, that trade isn’t so bad at all, as I think Eberle is a hell of a player. Smid isn’t really a big impact player, but that’s OK.

At any rate, I still do see the potential in this Penner trade.

When Penner was signed here, I had little to no knowledge on the salary caps let alone the CBA. Well I was going to post on how I don’t know much about the offer sheets today but wikipedia answered it for me nicely.

Man, we can be dreamers…. I would by all means take any shit from the press/media/NHL fanbase if we sent an offer sheet to Stamkos. I could see him signing a 5-6 maybe even seven year deal in the $6,183,925 to $7,729,907 range (Second highest compensation). Could you imagine signing Stammer + sending over the two first-round picks and a second- and third-round pick post draft?

As for Weber I could see it a more likely option, especially if Nashville doesn’t make the playoffs but if we could get him without offering any of this years picks then I’d be okay with it I think, no where near as happy as I would be with Stamkos though. I can see the Weber type of deal more likely happening in the future but the Stamkos deal… we can be dreamers.

15. John says:

Racki: Yah actually I was reminded that the Pronger trade netted us Eberle a few days ago, and I already forgot about that So yah, that trade isn’t so bad at all, as I think Eberle is a hell of a player. Smid isn’t really a big impact player, but that’s OK. At any rate, I still do see the potential in this Penner trade.BTW, there’s been a little chatter out there suggesting the Oil should snipe one of the big RFAs. There’s at least two huge names on the verge of RFA. One is Weber.. another is Stamkos. Both are types that I would have no problems blowing a bunch of picks on (i.e. the compensation). However, can we afford the bad PR? I’m not sure I care that much… lol..

Aside from a few hockey people & some fans of other teams who recognize & covet a couple of our young guys, the Oil are still generally thought of as the laughing stock of the league that no one would want to play for (see NHL All Star weekend quiz for verification) so I say fuck ‘em all! What further damage to the franchise’s “reputation” could be incurred by tossing out a few more Offer Sheets?? Nobody talks about the Vanek thing anymore, or even the Penner snipe either really.

I still consider the Pronger trade a bust. We traded him for a hope and a prayer (one that happened to turn out in Eberle). Even other GM’s came out and said they would have offered more. Wasn’t Perry or Getzlaf on the table too, but Lowe wanted the local boy Lupul?

Basically, should have gotten more for Pronger (top 5 D-man in the entire league), should have gotten more for Smyth and should have gotten more for Penner. Shit, Penner and Smyth shouldn’t have been traded period.

EDIT: Are we sure the Eberle draft position was Anaheims? I’m not sure it was…
    INSTA-EDIT 2: Nevermind, yeah he was.

Wrong on Getzlaf. Correct on Perry (we asked for Getzlaf initially, they offered us Perry… we came back at them with Lupul…. hindsight on that one, I guess).

18. dawgtoy says:

Racki:

Hindsight for sure, Lupul looked good at the time, local boy putting up points.

19. mrgod2u says:

Tampa Bay has about $23 million in cap space to play with, but they have a huge number of UFA’s this end of season (including both goalies, Brewer, Gagne etc… Even if they just sign the current group at current salary they would be close to over $63. I bet Stamkos will be making bonuses this year that might hurt them further.

They will need to offer Stamkos a raise to get him to pre-emptively sign before he becomes offer-sheet liable. If they don’t someone will pitch him Ovechkin money (and we could do it if we wanted) and Tampa would either have to match and gut their team or take the picks and wave goodbye.

Racki:

I might be wrong on this BTW.. this is just what I’ve heard on the internets. But I’ve heard all kinds of things, including that Lowe did ask for Perry. So I don’t know what the real truth is. But I thought I dug into it a while back and found that Lowe asked for Getzlaf and was offered Perry.

As far as I’m concerned though.. it’s done.. no sense harping on it anymore. Eberle alone made that a decent deal for us, but at the time it definitely didn’t look good (and really is still up in the air).`