Monday Morning Standings

By , March 24, 2011 8:41 am

Taking a brief break from my focus on sports, to bring the spotlight down on some ladies who have been getting rave reviews from players on twitter.

GDT IS UP HERE
Bruins/Habs tonight. Should be fun watching Chara murder whoever pulls the short straw.

Well, the Oilers are limping towards their second 30th place finish ever. Players keep getting injured, although JFJ is now healthy again so we got to send some help back down to OKC. No point in keeping a useful player on this team when we have JFJ to play! Right now the best part of being an Oiler fan is twitter. Whitney is pretty funny, as is Terry Jones! I’ve also cut Tencer out of my twitter feed and couldn’t be happier.

And that’s it for Oiler news. Well, as far as I’m concerned.

In league news Cooke performed his patented flying elbow to the chin move, and the league suspended him for the remainder of the season and the first round of the playoffs. I loved this (not the hit, but the results). Basically it forced Lemieux to put up or shut up (the whole team really didn’t give a shit about head shots it seemed until Crosby went down) and it forced the league to actually do something. Now there is a precedent and future hits like that should have similar consequences. And I hate that fucker Cooke.

Ottawa signed Anderson to a 4 year deal, just over 12 mil. Seems steep, but Anderson’s played well the past two years so maybe it’ll work out.

Oh, and Malhotra is out for the season now with an eye injury. Makes me start to think about wearing a visor in my league. Yikes.

And now on to the standings:

Conference

Pretty sure the east is getting locked up as is now. Only 9 games remaining and 3 points separate 8th from 9th. Plus Buffalo is playing well right now. Only thing to suss out now is the seeding, and even that looks pretty solid for the most part. I think we are seeing our match ups for the first round. Boston/Montreal should be a doozy (if it works out that way).

The west is a little more fluid, where right from 5th to 10th could make it (I think Phoenix locked up 4th). I’m going to the game Saturday, so I hope the Oilers can knock out the Flames. That would be pretty sweet.

League

Pretty sure Edmonton locked up 30th here. And Vancouver locked up 1st. Puke.

OKC Barons

The Barons are sitting 6th with 82 points in 72 games played, only 1 up on 8th spot (only 2 up on 10th!). Getting Giroux back should help them out.

Giroux is still 2nd in league scoring with 67 points in 63 games, but first is way up there with 81 points in 63 games (Corey Locke with the Sens). Moran is sitting 7th in league scoring with 63 in 72 games.

Oil Kings

Oil Kings play the Red Deer Rebels in the first round of the WHL playoffs. Series I believe is being televised on the Shaw channel, and on the radio at AM1260.

The 3rd and 4th games are scheduled to be at Rexall on the 28th and 31st (Monday and Thursday).

Here is hoping for a good series.

Pools

Playoffs have started. I’ll throw in the brackets as they stand today instead of the standings.

Foiled Again

Championship

Consolation

Foiled Again Too

Championship

Consolation

13 Responses to “Monday Morning Standings”

Yeah, the Dallas girls are smokin’.

2. dawgtoy says:

Looking forward to watching RNH vs our Oil Kings. Derek Laxdal has stated in the media that he plans to have the Oil Kings pound RNH in an effort to get him off his game. It’ll be interesting to see how he does against some very real pressure for a playoff series. Just a thought.

Yeah, it’ll be an interesting series.

I forgot to mention, but apparently you can get a $40 ticket that gets you to every Oil Kings playoff game this year…worst case it’s only 2 games, but best case you could see a lot of hockey for 40 bucks.

That’s a hell of a deal that I am kicking myself on for not taking part in. But I won’t be able to make it to the first couple of games, I don’t think. And there may not be any games after!

new poll is up. (try Ctrl-f5 to refresh without cache, if you still see RFA offersheet poll)

Went with “Slapchop”. Sounds like slap shot.

chucker: Went with “Slapchop”. Sounds like slap shot.

I did too – doubled the vote count. It reminds me of “shake weight” for some reason…

I’ll see if I can attend a game or two this weekend, sorry Oil Kings fans but Rebels will take the series 4-1. :razz: I reeeaaallllyyyy want to see the Rebels and the Blades go head to head, last year it was quite spirited to say the very least. It would be two talented teams facing off hopefully holding some what of a grudge.

Yah it’s pretty likely that Red Deer will smoke the Oil Kings.. but hey, they play the playoffs for a reason, right? You never know.. everyone always thought Detroit would cakewalk their way through every playoffs..

Yeah, I’m just trying to enjoy it while I can because next season it will probably be a whole different team. A lot of the names are familiar on the roster right now and I think a good chunk of the team will either turn pro or move on with their lives next season. It’s what usually happens with CHL teams though, they’re good for a few years and then a total dismantle.

11. dawgtoy says:

Shaw channel 10 for the Oil Kings game, fyi

And a hell of a game so far. Good scraps, good hockey and a tight game.

RNH had a sick pass setting up one of the goals, watched the entire game. Red Deer fell asleep late in the first, all through the second and until midway in the third. It was a pretty good game I must say, the announcers seem a little on sided though haha.

I wonder how Nugent-Hopkins would do between Hall and Hemsky?