Monday Morning Standings

By , March 9, 2011 9:04 am

Today I wanted to focus on some sports, so here is surfing.

GDT is located HERE

Just a reminder to those in the pools, the playoffs are starting soon. Only the top 6 teams make the main playoff part, however if you didn’t make that then there is still the consolation playoff to keep in mind. Also, super close in the pools for the next two weeks.

As for the Oilers, well Hall’s season is over. Dude was having a pretty good rookie season (Calder was an outside shot with Skinner, Couture and some rookie goalies in there) but he’s been the best chance for a Oiler Calder winner ever (although we all know Gretzky should have won).

In other news Hemsky got hurt (rotator cuff injury) and will be out for 2-3 weeks. Despite this, I still think he’s our best player and needs to be re-upped for another 3 years at a minimum.

In other league news Crosby still has a concussion (doubt we will see him back this year).

Gillies just came back from a 9 game suspension and proceeds to get a 10 gamer (on what I didn’t think was that bad of a hit at all).

Probert’s had his brain donated to medical study and it showed that he suffered from some brain damage. Question now becomes, how much of this was the fighting, how much was the hockey and how much was the lifestyle. Personally I think it has to do with the hockey, cause while bare knuckle brawling isn’t the best for the dome, I just think that the speed that the players are going and hitting each other, essentially with body armor on, can’t be good for the noodle.

Big news the last couple days is that the Coyotes might not be able to be sold (as it was depending on some crap to be sold which a government watchdog agency is saying isn’t cool). Wouldn’t be surprised to see the team move to Winnipeg here in the next couple weeks. (Thrashers are also looking for buyers…I bet Quebec can’t get that rink built quick enough)

On another note, I’ve been finding myself really enjoying Justin Bourne’s stuff at puck daddy, and therefore I shall recommend it to you fine people.

And now to the standings:

Conference

Racki mentioned that he likes seeing the standings, so I decided that I’ll just take a screenshot with a link. That way we can still see what they looked like next year.

The top part of the conference seems to be gaining some separation from the bubble teams. I would have to say that Montreal and above have all really locked up a playoff spot (obviously without one of them going 0-10 in the next bit). Rangers have gotten a couple big wins lately. I really think that Buffalo and Carolina will battle it out for the last spot, as Toronto has too much room to make up (although they keep getting the Bettman loser point). Atlanta and New Jersey are up there too, but still, I think they are all too far back.

The west is starting to see some separation too. Where it was only 2 points separating 5th from 11th, now we see it is 4 points. I can’t recall when it has been this tight, but from 4th (80 points) to 11th (75 points) any of those teams could make it.

League

Ah, back in last. I’m pretty sure that at this point, the Oilers have locked up 29th or 30th.

OKC Barons

Barons have dropped to 10th in the conference, with 73 points and 63 games played. 8th place (Chicago Wolves) currently has 74 points with 66 games played. Looks like it’s a battle to the end in the AHL as well. Although the Oilers haven’t done OKC any favors calling up their points leaders all year plus the better goalie for some time too.

Giroux is still sitting 2nd in league scoring with 65 points in 61 games and Moran is sitting 10th with 54 in 63. Gerber is the 18th ranked goalie.

Oil Kings

Oil Kings sit in 6th in the conference with 67 points in 67 games (I think there are only 6 or 7 games left in the season too). Haven’t locked up a playoff spot, but with 8th 10 points back I’m sure its only a formality at this point.

Dylan Wruck still leads the team in points with 74 in 66 games, and sits 26th in league scoring. Michael St. Croix sits in 33rd with 72 points. Oiler prospect Hamilton is 21st, and Pitlick is 46th in scoring. Jon Groenheyde is 14th and Laurent Brossoit is ranked 16th in WHL goalies, with Oiler prospect Bunz sitting 3rd.

Pools

Again, reminder the playoffs start soon. And 6th place is the cutoff (for the main playoff, there is still the consolation playoff). Looks like it’ll be a dogfight to the end in these leagues too.

Foiled Again

5 mrs.gr80ne 116-120-24 0.492 256
6 dawgtoy 118-123-19 0.49 255
7 SamusBrattus 115-121-24 0.488 254
8 awesomeness 111-122-27 0.479 249
9 d0nkey.punch(gr8one) 113-125-22 0.477 248
10 Metal Mulisha 105-118-37 0.475 247

14 Responses to “Monday Morning Standings”

1. dawgtoy says:

Steve-o says

2. dawgtoy says:

As per NHL.com “Max Pacioretty has a severe concussion, as well as a fracture of the fourth cervical vertebrae”

3. victoriaoilerfan says:

dawgtoy: Steve-o says“And finally, everyone is talking about Chara’s hit on Pacioretty last night. Personally, don’t think its a bad hit at all. If it were to happen 2 feet further up, or 2 feet further down the ice then we wouldn’t be talking about it at all. I’m not even sure its actually interference either. But I am glad that dude is seeming to be OK.”I agree … It’s an ugly hit based on his head striking the glass, not necessarily a dirty hit. Ugly hit to watch, and ugly to see a player taken off the ice by a stretcher. The NHL needs to find a way to make that area safer, thankfully that doesn’t happen very often.

It happened to Ryan Smyth as well and there have been numerous close calls as well. It may finally get the league to look at doing something about a very dangerous are of the glass but who knows. They drag their feet until someone gets killed or so badly hurt that the media gets all over it.
    It wasn’t till a girl died from getting hit by a slap shot while sitting in the stands that the nets appeared.
    I am aware this isn’t a fan safety issue but it still makes you wonder why the NHLPA doesn’t get involved at demanding this be fixed.

Yah honestly, either just add some curve to the glass there, or put it in an angle, and that prevent most of the damage.

P.S. No suspension for Chara

My response to the ladies in the pic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V2mE_QCpzU

Why does HabOiler have and * beside his team. Hmmmmm.

I presume that means he sealed a playoff spot

8. victoriaoilerfan says:

chucker: Why does HabOiler have and * beside his team. Hmmmmm.Also, I’m really hoping LA gets bounced from the playoffs so our pick is better. They have a freakin’ tough schedule too. Lots of 4 point games.

It’s a double edge sword tho Chuck. If L.A. misses there is a real good chance the Flames are in.
    Pick your poison.

LOL I’ll take the better draft pick, as I am sure that the Flames will screw it up anyways.

10. Haboiler says:

I agree Racki. As much as i dislike the Flamers, I’d rather the better pick, especially if LA is out.

Racki: LOL I’ll take the better draft pick, as I am sure that the Flamers will screw it up anyways.

Agreed. I’ve already resigned myself to the likelihood of the flamers making it in. I just want that pick to be better. Calgary sucks at the draft.

12. hemmerlady says:

I can’t believe I’m actually saying these words, but I’m starting not to hate Calgary with every fiber of my being. (Sacrilege!) I do however hate the Nucks and hope for a swift 2nd-round exit. Vancouver is the new Calgary.

(very nice tail btw.)

And now the Montreal cops are investigating Chara about being charged. This is stupid.

Next up will be Edmonton police charging every visiting player with rape/assault and battery.

I have to sign a waiver to play hockey, you would think these people would too.

Oh, and Petry just got called up and Plante sent back down.

The Montreal Police actually received a bunch of calls from Montreal citizens yesterday (I heard while driving last night, per Tencer). I think it’s fucking ridiculous. This wasn’t done out of Malice and is a FAR fucking cry from the Bertuzzi incident. Montrealers are nuts.