GDT Oilers 0, Kings 2 – Game 76 – 2011-03-29 @ 7:30 PM MST – TSN

GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. Los Angeles Kings - Rod Phillips last broadcast
logo AT logo
43-26-6 Record 23-41-11
Location: Rexall Place
Date: March 29, 2011 @ 7:30 PM MST
TV:TSN

Tonight the Oilers say goodbye to another huge legend.. Rod Phillips. Rod’s been broadcasting Oilers games since their WHA days (since 1973). How many of us have turned down the sound on a game and flipped on the radio. Thanks to radio delay, that doesn’t work so well anymore, but my dad used to do that back in the day, and it was glorious. Rod’s already been inducted into the Hall of Fame.. will we see a jersey retired in his honor (or perhaps a start of a ring of honor here?). I hear the players will be wearing a specific number with Phillips on the back for the ceremony (37, to commemorate his 37 years of service). Whatever they do, I am sure it will be memorable. Phillips is a great announcer. I think he hands the mic off to a guy who will one day be seen as a great talent too, in Jack Michaels, but that guy has BIG shoes to fill. Anyways, on to the game…

The Oilers are coming off a tough loss against the Flames in which they got to a 4-1 lead before seeing it slowly chipped away. They lost it 5-4 in the shootout. What a heart breaker. But really, it was great to see this band of misfits get off to such a great start and play a hard game. But the Flames comeback was just too much for them. The Kings have won their last 3 and sit in 9th in the league right now. If you’re like me, you’re hoping for an Oilers win BIG TIME tonight, because the Kings are in control of one of our 2011 1st round picks. Right now it’s looking to be a high 20s pick. But, given how tight the standings are, the Oilers can help try and give themselves a mid-round pick for the 2011 draft. This is a draft pick rally we can all get behind, unlike “Losin’ for Larsson” and such.

That said, I have a tough time believing the Oilers can win this one.. but I’m going to spread some positive vibe and guess that they win…

Prediction 5-3 Oilers

P.S. Trogdor asks: “In true Oiler fashion, how loud will Penner be booed?”
Followed by Steve-O with: “also, how many goals will he score?”
Indeed.

VERY GUESSTIMATED LINES

Hartikainen – Vande Velde – Eberle
Paajarvi – Cogliano – Omark
Jones – O’Marra – Reddox
Jacques – Fraser – MacIntyre

Peckham – Strudwick
Smid – Gilbert
Vandermeer – Petry

Khabibulin
Dubnyk

LIVE CHAT

Closed.. please use the comments section.

12 Responses to “GDT Oilers 0, Kings 2 – Game 76 – 2011-03-29 @ 7:30 PM MST – TSN”

“And Finger bangs it in the corner…”

Racki: “And Finger bangs it in the corner…”

“In the slot…Finger looking for a greasy one…..and it’s in.” (Rod Phillips excited voice)

From Darren Dreger:

Interest is picking up in 28-year-old Swedish goaltender Viktor Fasth. A number of NHL teams have contacted Fasth’s North American agent, Joe Resnick who says he’s looking at all of the options that may lure the AIK star to North America.

Five teams are believed to be keenly interested in the free agent, including the Edmonton Oilers, although Resnick would not comment on the specific teams.

Fasth, who may earn a spot on Sweden’s national team for the upcoming world championship, helped AIK to the Swedish Elite League’s semifinals where they lost four straight to Farjestad.

In eight playoff games, Fasth posted an impressive .945 save percentage, bettering his regular season stats (.925) which earned the veteran goalie the “Honken Trophy” – awarded annually to the Elitserien’s top tender.

With another year remaining on his contract with AIK, Fasth is comfortable in Sweden, but is eager to play in the NHL, providing the team and terms present a good fit.

Now we just have to figure out a way to off Khabi…

If the Oilers actually did pick him up, we’d be going above and beyond the Detroit model of rebuild… (i.e. lots of Swedes!)

Does anyone think that if Khabbi ends up in jail this summer that the Oilers will seek to void his contract? Special circumstances? I don’t know if they would, but I can see them assigning him to Europe if they are serious about winning some games next year.

Racki: Well I would love to see it happen but I doubt it. They like him here and there is more similarity to Strudwick than that they both stink lol. Apparently khabi is a good locker room guy / teammate

Yeah, you keep hearing what a great guy he is. That contact just pisses me off though.

7. hemmerlady says:

(Not so bright) Fans: please don’t be the idiots you are and boo Penner. Honest to God. Boo Pronger, sure – he’s a douche and asked to leave. Penner got traded (i.e. no say in his leaving) and is a good guy. See the difference? (Yeah I know you’re going to boo him anyway.)

Thought Pens’ interview was funny about hearing all the negativity all the time when he was in Edmonton, whether gassing up or going to Timmy’s: “Here’s your double-double, and by the way you guys were 0 for 8 on the PP last night, eh?”

I miss Penner.

8. Ktown says:

Well. Rod gets his banner hanging from the rafters. Not a retirement of a number per se but a good tribute all the same.

9. Ktown says:

10. John says:

Ktown: Man… I sure wish we could have a guy that could win face-offs like Stoll. Where did LA find him? That woulda been a good find. /sarcasm

Hahaha……*then starts crying* :(

chucker: Yeah, you keep hearing what a great guy he is.That contact just pisses me off though.

Me too. Im hoping they sign this euro guy though. I am not looking forward to a 3 headed monster again, but maybe if they grab him, they re think khabi’s usefulness

Fasth or whatever his name is? Yeah, I’m hoping they just realize that Khabby is f’n useless and actually hurting the on ice morale of the team. You can bust your nuts all you want, but when a goalie sucks arse, it’s just deflating for the whole team, good guy or not.