GDT Oilers 1, Coyotes 3 – Game 71 – 2011-03-17 @ 7:00 PM MST – SNETW

GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. Phoenix Coyotes
logo AT logo
37-23-11 Record 23-38-9
Location: Rexall Place
Date: March 17, 2011 @ 7:00 PM MST
TV:SNETW

The picture above is of Chris Vande Velde, who makes his official NHL debut tonight. He was called up, along with centre Ryan O’Marra and winger Alex Giroux. Also previously called up was Teemu Hartikainen, who will also make his NHL debut tonight. By my count, Vande Velde and Hartikainen join a list that is now 8 7 players long of players who have made their NHL debut with the Oilers this year: Jeff Petry, Magnus Paajarvi, Taylor Hall, Linus Omark, Jordan Eberle, Shawn Belle, (snipped Belle because he actually played a few games in Minny and Montreal) Vande Velde, and Hartikainen. That also makes 11 different players that the Oilers have called up from the Barons (8 of them currently sitting on the Oilers team). Trogdor also reminds me that several ladies made their NHL debut with the Oilers this year as well: Octane.

I would not expect a pretty one, but it will be nice to get a closer look at Teemu Hartikainen, who has played quite well for the Barons this year. Chris Vande Velde has had his struggles, although his focus has been on the defensive aspects of his game. It will be good to get a close look at him too.

So now with these 3 call ups, the Oilers have an average of a shade over ONE whole full season played per player on their forward group (just over 2.5 for all skaters). Yikes. Sounds like Theo Peckham is close to a return, at least.

On to the fun stuff… the Coyotes are a mere 4-4-2 in their last 10, however 3 of those 4 wins came all in a row recently, as they’re on a 3-game winning streak. The Oilers are 4-5-1 in their last 10, looking at times like a team that wants to compete hard on one night, and a team that has no place in the NHL (mainly because it’s composed of AHLers) on other nights. We’ll see which one we get to watch tonight!

With any luck, this will also be the last time the Oilers ever play the Phoenix Coyotes (sorry Phoenixonians… Phoenixites… Phoenixers… whatever).

Prediction: 4-0 Coyotes

VERY GUESSTIMATED LINES

Jones-Cogliano-Eberle
Omark-Fraser-Paajarvi
Giroux-O’Marra-Reddox
MacIntyre-Vande Velde-Hartikainen

Smid – Gilbert
Vandermeer – Petry
Strudwick – Foster

Khabibulin
Dubnyk

LIVE CHAT

Closed.. please use the comments section.

11 Responses to “GDT Oilers 1, Coyotes 3 – Game 71 – 2011-03-17 @ 7:00 PM MST – SNETW”

Lines have been updated.

2. Ktown says:

Jonesy with the hatty,
    Van de Velde gets his first NHL goal
    Dubnyk makes 42 saves for his second career shutout.

zzzzzzz… Huh? wha? not yet… just 5 more minutes, ma…

Prediction: Ryan Jones will play 30 minutes of hockey tonight, including 5 mins of PP time and 3 on the PK.

4. Ktown says:

Yeah – you’re prediction sounds way more likely than mine… LOL

Is Cogs really the most experienced forward? When’s Mac start playing line two?

Scary, isn’t it?

7. dawgtoy says:

So far so good as far as the first period goes,GOilers!

8. Scarriere says:

Scary is DEFINITELY the word. Wins may be few and far between (still hoping though). I wonder if there could be any good fights? Who would Mac fight?

There is no one in the building that would even tussle with MacIntyre, nevermind in the Phoenix line up.

Unfortunately.

Well, we’re starting to close the gap for a guarantee top two pick…

On a side note, every now and then I head over to the box’ and check out what my layout could have been, really wish we could have found a way to make it work. I really like that template, is there any way it can still be uploaded if I make a new skin for it?

I was watching March madness most of the night, but I saw a good amount of the game last night. The callups actually looked good from what I saw. Hartikainen really impressed me. O’Marra and Vande Velde were about as expected. The team hung in there and almost took that one. Oh, and suprise surprise two of the three goals were S O F T from Khabi. Good game from the call-ups tho, I was impressed.

I think we have a 3rd liner for the future in Hartikainen also…just saying.