GDT Oilers 5, Avalanche 1 – Game 66 – 2011-03-05 @ 8:00 PM MST – CBC

Edmonton Oilers vs. Colorado Avalanche
logo AT logo
22-35-8 Record 26-30-8
Location: Pepsi Center
Date: March 5, 2011 @ 8:00 PM MST
TV:CBC

Well, if you’ve been living under a rock tonight’s line ups might shock you a little… Taylor Hall sustained a high ankle sprain last game completing his Gordie Howe hattrick. Terrible to see him go down as he was steadily improving all season and with Hemsky out and Penner traded it’s up to Eberle, Magnus, and Omark to keep the excitement levels high enough to tune in. No pressure.

Perennial scratch Brule did not skate this morning and is out of the line up and Giroux, who has been leading the barons in scoring, has been called up to shore up the numbers. He’ll be wearing #12 tonight. Plante has also drawn in, but not sure who’s sitting on D.

Our MVP has returned! But Dubnyk will be getting the start again tonight.

Tonight’s opponents have gone 1-7-2 in their last 10, so expect them to come out hard against our boys who are pretty banged up.

CONFIRMED LINES

Paajarvi – Horcoff – Eberle
Jones – Gagner – Omark
Giroux – Cogliano – Reddox
JFJ – Fraser – MacIntyre

Smid – Gilbert
Vandermeer – Foster
Plante – Petiot/Strudwick

Dubnyk

LIVE CHAT

Closed.

36 Responses to “GDT Oilers 5, Avalanche 1 – Game 66 – 2011-03-05 @ 8:00 PM MST – CBC”

1. MetalOil says:

Oh wow Big Mac Draws in. I wonder what spurred on that decision?

He’ll be out there to protect Ha…er Eberle.

3. dawgtoy says:

No Brule tonight either, WTF is up with him anyway?

dawgtoy: No Brule tonight either, WTF is up with him anyway?

Brule has some kind of immune disorder. There has been some speculation it may be Lupus.

chucker:
    He’ll be out there to protect Ha…er Eberle.

My face when, and probably Eberle’s, when I read Mac will be out there to “protect”.

6. Trogdor says:

Cody McLeod seems to be the toughest customer to offer up tonight, so I doubt Mack will be dropping them with anyone.

6’2″ 210 lbs vs. 6’5″ 250 lbs. So maybe…

Petiot sits for Plante tonight

7. MetalOil says:

Trogdor:

6’2″ 210 lbs vs. 6’5″ 250 lbs.So maybe…

Petiot sits for Plante tonight

The Code says the Mac should not be fighting tonight but I say Fuck the code. Other teams don’t seem to follow the code when they play us so why should we?

Mario Lemuex threatened to leave the game because of it’s current state. The Oil need to turn into the team that shows him to the door.

Chucker: Just to clarify, my post is all in good fun. :razz:

zackman35: Chucker: Just to clarify, my post is all in good fun. As for the fighting, I bet you if anyone drops the mitts, there’s a good chance it could be Plante (which I’m excited to see in action).

Oh of course. I wouldn’t mind Plante making a statement either. McCleod would be a willing fighter if necessary for MacI. Mac should recognize this is a chance for him to do something tonight.

Coincedence that he’s in the game after Hall gets hurt with an injury? Maybe.

10. Trogdor says:

Sadly, Smac might be in because he’s the best option available…

11. hockey noob says:

The MVP is backing up Dubbie tonight. Really bummed about Hall’s ankle injury…

Take another look at the Oilers’ lineup. That’s got to be one of the thinnest lineups in recent years even for the Oil.

Smac is in because everyone else not in lineup isn’t healthy. No sense plundering barons more than necessary

Teubert had a good game tonight for the Barons getting 2nd star honors in the OT win.

15. dawgtoy says:

PETRY JEFF D 6’3, 200
    MARANCIN MARTIN D 6’4, 187
    PLANTE ALEX D 6’4, 215
    TEUBERT COLTON D 6’4, 195
    PECKHAM THEO D 6’2, 237
    BLAIN JEREMIE D 6’3 200
    Maybe
    JAMIESON OLEKSIAK D 6’7 244
    MUSIL DAVID D 6’3, 200
    HAMILTON DOUGIE D 6’4, 195

Size matters!

Remember when we used to have a d group that were mostly big, slugs? The whole reason we went out and grab a bunch of puff tart puck movers was because our blueline was too slow and hemmed in their own zone a lot. Got to be aware of that, but I think we’ve picked up several guys who can move the puck well, but still have good size.

Btw, if you look at the d group we have right now, they’re actually pretty big. Although some don’t use their size.. and some don’t really do much of anything well.. :P

Bostonoiler:

This is great to hear!

18. dawgtoy says:

chucker: Brule has some kind of immune disorder.There has been some speculation it may be Lupus.

Racki:

The coke machine drafting days, remember them all too well.
    GOILERS

Racki: For the record, Renney was asked on After Hours (fan sent in question) why Dorsett wasn’t held accountable for his fight with Hall. He noted that as a coach, he can’t/won’t/shouldn’t tap a guy on the shoulder because of the fines involved and such. I believe he mentioned a bit that players shouldn’t be pushed to do that (i.e. they should know on their own). But he mentioned that the group didn’t feel it was warranted here since Hall started the scrap and also that they were focused on winning the game. So there you have it. Not sure I agree, but that answers that. So I guess the players will have to step up on their own as Renney isn’t going to push them into doing anything (other than controlling their ice time).

Yeah, I don’t agree with that at all. I know Hall started it, but this is a situation where another guy has to man up and take the second man in penalty. I’m oldschool that way as you know. Hall=rookie of the year and team MVP. Anyone else=somebody who should have stepped in and taken on Dorsett. Hello Vandermeer.

Bostonoiler: Also, not only did Teubert play great defensivly, he scored with a few seconds left to tie the game up and send it to overtime.

Nice to hear. Hopefully he proves all of us armchair scouts wrong.

22. NorwegianOiler says:

chucker: Yeah, I don’t agree with that at all.I know Hall started it, but this is a situation where another guy has to man up and take the second man in penalty.I’m oldschool that way as you know.Hall=rookie of the year and team MVP.Anyone else=somebody who should have stepped in and taken on Dorsett.Hello Vandermeer.

23. NorwegianOiler says:

dawgtoy:
    PETRY JEFF D6’3, 200
    MARANCINMARTIN D 6’4, 187
    PLANTE ALEX D6’4, 215
    TEUBERT COLTON D 6’4, 195
    PECKHAM THEO D 6’2, 237
    BLAIN JEREMIE D 6’3 200
    Maybe
    JAMIESON OLEKSIAKD6’7244
    MUSIL DAVID D6’3, 200
    HAMILTON DOUGIE D 6’4, 195

Size matters!

Don’t interpret the following comments as attaks on you, dawgtoy, I know you don’t hold these standpoints, but they are often implicit ideas of the hockey world.

We have one of the biggest, if not the biggest, bluelines in the NHL at the moment. Why are they also the worst?

Size is overrated, as I see it, as a category of its own. As is ‘puck moving’, ‘hitting’ or ‘point bombs’.

The relief here is that several of our players seem to have a broader range of skills to add to their size, even if some don’t (the Foster-tower, for example). Petry, for his size, does not use it aggressively. But he has an offensive game, plays well positionally (for his experience) and manages to use leverage around the boards to some succcess. The same goes for Gilbert and Whitney. Whitney has a mean streak, however, that Gilbert does not. Then there’s Smid and Peckham, who can throw some hits, but appear to lack a well-rounded offensive game. Marincin, from the scarce samples I have, is somewhere in between. He’s not a Chara, but isn’t built like him either.

All in all, I worry that this is yet another round of overcompensation in Oil Country. We had assembled a blueline incapable of making an outlet pass after the cup run. They were replaced by players largely incapable of defending, but who could pass well enough. These were thinned out to form a largely soft blueline. Now we’re trying to add toughness and if we can not identify more than one single category at the time we will end up with a bunch of unskilled powerhouses to complete our circle. There is hope, as I see it, because players like Whitney and Smid have the ability to do it all. Peckham is good in his own end and isn’t dreadful offensively. Gilbert is enigmatic in that respect, because he can excel in both ends, but rarely does so for long stretches. Gone are many of the one-dimensional guys. But Tambellini is on the prowl again…;)

NorwegianOiler: Disagree. If it had been Dorsett that had jumped Hall, I’d be disappointed if no one had taken the additional penalty for going into the fight. Problem was, Hall took it on his own to fight – and at that point I think it would be a bit immasculating for Vandermeer (or anybody else) to fight for him. After all, it was his own decision. As he said, he is a ‘big boy’ now and can handle himself, even if it would be best that goons took the 5 minutes (and ankle injuries). Many stars fight once in a while, why not Hall?

Did you see his fight? Fighting isn’t for everyone.. and I’d have to say it wasn’t for him. Mind you, he was seriously outclassed, even though he had the size advantage on Dorsett. But Hall looked like he was play fighting… more or less just trying to let it be known that he doesn’t accept being pushed around. But he clearly didn’t belong in the fight, even if you take out the injury.

Possibly there’s a case there that he just needs to pick his battles. But given that so far Hall as a 1:1 fight to serious injury ratio, I think I’d prefer he didn’t fight. lol (I kid on the ratio of course)

I see Teubert actually got a goal in each of his first two games with the Barons. Not too shab.

26. NorwegianOiler says:

I did see his fight, and I agree that he certainly did not look like a fighter. Nonetheless, fighting looked outside of Stortini’s realm for the better parts of his time here as well. In the end, Hall dropped his gloves and at that point it was his choice. Frustration may have got the better of him, and inexperience may have lost him the fight, but he made his choice and I think the team was right to let him see it out. Whether he will continue to take the odd fight or not is another matter. At least he did not make it a cheapshot battle like Crosby has :P

NorwegianOiler:

Oh I wasn’t disputing about whether his teammates should have done anything about it.. I was just disputing whether he should fight again. In the end it doesn’t matter what I think, but I hope he doesn’t. If he laid a beating on Dorsett, I might be more interested in him fighting. I guess it’s not so much for me that he should never fight.. but it’s obvious that he has to pick his battles a LOT better.

As for Stortini.. he’s a brave dummy that really stood up when it was clear there was no other fighter on this team. I’d still say he struggles with fighting a lot, but I don’t mind him taking a beating or getting hurt like I do Hall getting hurt.

Maybe his second fight will be Evander Kane like… :P

Nice result on the scoreboard! Not sure if anyone made their way into the game chat, when I checked no one was there. Seems like we win when no one’s on it!

Loved the way Don Cherry chided Dorsett about Hall’s fight! Anyway, I do have to say that even though Hall shouldn’t be fighting, he looked a whole lot better than Plante did in his fight. Plante just looked like he didn’t know what to do with his fist. When all was said and done, he looked completely out of it so I was surprised he even did an interview after the game. I figured he’d be the next one out with an ‘upper body injury’.

I fully agree with Hall standing up for himself just like Gagner has on occasion or Crosby and many other “skill” guys. I guess I’m looking at that fight from the observation point of the whole shift.

You’re right in that to step in would be making Hall look a bit neurtered, but that’s the way it is. I think Vandermeer was already yapping at Dorsett before Hall jumped him. In any case, my reference points on how I see these situations if very old school. If Gretzky had gotten into a shoving match, within a millisecond Semenko was bombing the guy who Gretz had an issue with. I know, different time, different rules, but I see in very regularly in the league. It’s not unheard of to get a third man in penalty, although it is fairly rare, but it needs to be done in a case like this. If Hall was taking on a guy like Vermette or Nichol, I’d say let them go. I’m big on protecting stars with intimidation.

I know that he will have to fight some of his own battles and that’s good, but I also think there’s a time when a team mate steps into a clear mismatch and protects a guy like Hall. I know Dorsett could have really beaten Hall to a pulp and took it easy on him and also likely wrestled him down to stop it, presumably to stop the fight, but I don’t like the concept of Hall fighting at all. I know the ankle injury was a fluke thing too.

I guess I go back to the earlier part of the shift when Dorsett clearly went after Hall. That’s when a guy like Vandermeer should have went straight after Dorsett, and I think he was, but arrived a bit late.

Maybe I’m being unfair to Vandermeer as I fully believe he went over there to fight Dorsett, but arrived a few seconds too late, but I know what a guy like Semenko or Brown or Carcillo would have done in that situation. He would have stepped in, taken the suspension and been loved by his team mates.

Again, I think it happened a bit faster than Vandermeer would have liked and the injury was a fluke, but I see this in the context of our team over the last few years.

We need more guys on the ice who can play and also keep the other team honest. I don’t think anyone would disagree with that for the most part.

I just know in the old days nobody would have even dared to go after Hall. I know the rules have changed, but I see other teams stock up on tough guys to protect their stars e.g. Pittsburgh has the most fighting majors in the league. I know they have injuries, but I have to think that when a player gets run or looked at the wrong way, there is a response. Again it likely doesn’t prevent all possible injuries, but I do think it gives the guys some space and keeps the other team warry or who’s on the ice.

Racki: I’ve seen Plante fight a few times now, and each time he doesn’t look very skilled at it, to be honest. I don’t think that is his forte. And yah, in this game he just took a lot of shots and basically was in defensive mode… threw a few punches but nothing that really landed hard.

32. victoriaoilerfan says:

chucker: Yeah, agreed on Plante. Although a willing combatant, from what I’ve seen on his Youtube fights, he seems to not really know how to fight. There are a couple of “fights” with Exelby and Rosehill and a few others. Plante really doesn’t look like he’s experienced in fighting at all.

He not only isn’t he a good fighter, what concerns me a lot more is I don’t think he can play hockey very either.
    I was not impressed with what I saw from him at all.

33. John says:

Plante sucked last night! Even Stortini can fight better than that ;)

34. victoriaoilerfan says:

John: Plante sucked last night! Even Stortini can fight better than that

Thats scarey lol

35. dawgtoy says:

John: Plante sucked last night! Even Stortini can fight better than that

Cody Mcleod is a very tough customer. You have to admire Plante for standing in and trying. First game of the season with the big club, I didn’t think he “sucked.” He has much to learn, but I gave him a pass.

36. victoriaoilerfan says:

A Pass! Wow I wish you were marking my papers when I went to University lol. (being sarcastic of course)