GDT Oilers 4, Blue Jackets 2 – Game 65 – 2011-03-03 @ 7:00 PM MST – SNETW

Edmonton Oilers vs. Columbus Blue Jackets
logo AT logo
31-24-7 Record 21-35-8
Location: Rexall Place
Date: March 3, 2011 @ 7:00 PM MST
TV:SNETW

Tonight is fan appreciation night. I’m not sure exactly what that means, but I’ll be at the game. So I’m hoping it means that they give us something cool for free, as well as the Oilers players themselves show appreciation by winning. The Penner-less Oilers won in a shootout on Tuesday vs. the Predators on a nifty goal by flashy, but unsociable, Swede Linus Omark.

There’s been some speculation in the papers and such that Taylor Hall has run out of gas. This is the same Taylor Hall that played 57 games in the regular season in Windsor, plus playoffs, plus the Memorial Cup, plus the WJHCs, all with a high compete level, right? I’m not willing to think that’s all that is left from this kid. But I do know that he himself has said that the season does take it’s toll. However, I’m going to write the last game off for Hall, Cogliano and Eberle as just simply an off-game. It may only be juniors, but I know Hall was really pushing himself through that final year as well. The NHL is a much tougher league, but 64 snail-paced Oilers games don’t have the same intensity of a WJHCs, OHL playoffs, memorial cup, etc. either. So let’s just hope that he still has plenty left in the tank.

Hemsky and Peckham both should miss this game. In Peckham’s case, he’s been out since being rocked by Horton in a fight. Hemsky hurt his shoulder in the Nashville game and was said to be getting an MRI today for precautionary reasons.

I would like to see another win tonight, but this time with a bit more of an exclamation point on our end.

Prediction: 5-1 Oilers

EDIT: Per Jason Gregor, Hemsky will be out 2-3 weeks. Also, Horcoff will play with Eberle and Hall again. Fraser draws back in.

CONFIRMED LINES

Hall – Horcoff – Eberle
Pajarvi – Gagner – Omark
Jones – Cogliano – Brule
JFJ – Fraser – Reddox

Smid – Gilbert
Vandermeer – Foster
Petiot – Strudwick

Dubnyk
Gerber

LIVE CHAT

Closed.

35 Responses to “GDT Oilers 4, Blue Jackets 2 – Game 65 – 2011-03-03 @ 7:00 PM MST – SNETW”

Hemsky out 2-3 weeks with shoulder injury. Horcoff will move up to center a familiar line with Hall/Eberle (woohoo). Fraser draws in.

No word on lines yet. Edit: sounds like the lines I guessed above are right.

Dubnyk starts.

2. dawgtoy says:

Racki:
    Hemsky out 2-3 weeks with shoulder injury.

3. Haboiler says:

I agree totally dawg….

According to Stauffer, the only change from your list Racki is to change out Gagner and Cogliano.

I’ll leave the lines up for now, cause Millhouse was the one that mentioned Gags with Jones/Brule. Not sure which guy is correct. Probably Stauffer though.

dawgtoy: That is the only thing that bothers me about the trade, we kept the oft injured player. Not sure that was the right move, from a health standpoint.

Yeah, makes you wonder. But if the offers were as poor as reported, I doubt they will go down during the summer, should we trade him then or at the draft.

chucker: Yeah, makes you wonder.But if the offers were as poor as reported, I doubt they will go down during the summer, should we trade him then or at the draft.

From Jason Gregor: Theo Peckham has officially been diagnosed as having a concussion and will be out for a few more games. He was making progress, but according to Renney, Peckham levelled off yesterday and is not even considered as day-to-day.

Racki: My thoughts are that if the offers are that poor, you just don’t trade him…. *shrug*. Like OIB stated before, why DID we trade him? The only reason I can think of was to really strengthen our future.. which I’m not so certain we did. The only other thing I can think of is that the Oilers weren’t sold on him re-signing.It would be interesting to know what figures the Oilers have in their mind for about 3 or so years from now, when everyone from Hall to Hemsky is under new contract. Maybe they figure it’s impossible to keep them all (which teams like Chicago have shown). I think it’s impossible as long as we have Khabi/Horcoff contracts.. but if we pay the big bucks to the real stars, we should be OK.

Yeah, good point. However it would be contingent on us being able to re-sign him as well. He sounds pretty much on the fence right now. Hopefully that changes as he’s a very hard player to replace. I guess we’ll see over the summer what happens. Again, not a CBA guy, but can they negotiate an extension over the summer or do they have to wait? I think they can but every time I think I know something about the CBA, I’m corrected. :(

A bird in the hand I guess.

chucker: Yeah, good point.However it would be contingent on us being able to re-sign him as well.He sounds pretty much on the fence right now.Hopefully that changes as he’s a very hard player to replace.I guess we’ll see over the summer what happens.Again, not a CBA guy, but can they negotiate an extension over the summer or do they have to wait?I think they can but every time I think I know something about the CBA, I’m corrected.:(

A bird in the hand I guess.

10. dawgtoy says:

Did Gillies get suspended? Damn I love that stache!

dawgtoy:
    Did Gillies get suspended? Damn I love that stache!

No word yet, but I personally hope he gets a light suspension for hitting that douche!

Racki: My bad.. I was talking about Penner, you are clearly talking about Hemsky. I meant we shouldn’t have traded Penner if this was the best offer available. Now that I’ve had time to soak it all in, it feels rushed.. like “let’s get whatever we can for him and just get this done…”

I’ll agree with that. It really shows Tambellini is not THE DECIDER. He’s in perpetual evaluation mode and I get the sense he’s not assertive enough to make an ultimatum to a team that covets a player. i.e. You give us Forbert plus your first or quit wasting my time.

What has me even more concerned is that it was clear he and the Kings had been kicking around ideas for a few weeks up until the trade and it looks to me like he caved to a more experienced and confident GM. Lombardi is notorious for being “cheap” in his offers for players. That’s something that should have been evaluated by the Oiler brass in the context of how he would counter offer. I think Lombardi basically gave up nothing that will ever have an effect on his team for a guy who can pot 25-30 without much effort.

God I hope Teubert turns out to be Marchment v2.0. Thing is, Mush made the Jets in his second camp….

I would expect Teubert will be in the line up in time for the remainder of the season. Barons schedule: http://www.okcbarons.com/index.cfm?fa=Schedule.calendar Doesn’t look like there has been a game yet for him to play i.e. we were in a slack weak schedule-wise. Lots of games coming up.

14. MetalOil says:

Racki:

Yeah he took a pretty good shot there.

Not sure if this has been discussed here but Hemsky may be shut down for the rest of the season now.

Oh boy, The optics from this news does not look good on Tamby coming off the controversial trade of the reliable and almost always healthy Dustin Penner.

15. hemmerlady says:

Racki:

dammiiiiiit. Pecks out too now?
    & Hemsky, babe, you gotta stop fucking getting injured.

Doesn’t change anything for me. Its good that we didn’t trade Hemsky. Injuries happen. As Renney said, I would rather him go into the tough areas to get scoring chances then avoid them.

Not sure how long it will last but for kicks… Penner-less Oilers 2-0. How many wins can we go?

On a serious note, I was hoping for helmets off in the Hall tilt (would be a wicked header for POTF layout), I hope he’s okay and pulls a gumbo Stortini.

18. oilinblood says:

I was P*ed off. Magnum was the best player on the ice all night. At one point he played 3 shifts of the oilers 4 shifts each of those 3 on a different line (Gags, then Horcs, then a breather, then Frasers). Magnum was just stupid tonight (in a good way for the Oil). He made 3 beauty passes that stand out with neon lighting, danced at the blue when gaining the zone on the pp a few times, and made Nash look like a little boy at one point winning a board battle vs a fresh RN and doing a strong board play to exit our defensive zone.

Magnum was… the 1st star. Hall was awesome too… Eberles goal i missed because i went and grabbed Popcorn but meh.

Petiot Sucked balls. first 4 shifts… 4 huge blunders. He is consistent at suckage.

This game was one i was happy i went too even though i missed a bit. Normally i dont show up if i will miss the first.

Magnum reminds me more and more of young federov and im now convinced its not just the jersey number. Ive said it a few times this year; I wouldnt mind seeing him tried at centre. If the faceoffs are whats lacking why did we waste so much time on Cogs trying to improve? To me Magnum might be better used as a centre.

19. hemmerlady says:

Hallsey with the Gordie Howe hat trick. Luvvvit.

Enjoyed watching this one last night. Pajarvi was just plain suick last night. Man is he going to be good. Same can be said for Hall and Eberle wh oboth played really well last night. Its hard not to get excited for the future when these 3 youngsters are going to be leading the way. They have soooo much potential and are already good NHL players. Gagner played a good game last night in my eyes, same with Cogliano and Brule, who is playing physical again and I like that in his game a lot.

As for the bad, Petiot looked good against the Preds, but looked like an AHL defender tonight. Other than that, there really wasn’t much that I thought was too too bad last night out of the Oilers.

Also, I wanna point out how impressed I am with Jim Vandermeer. He is playing so many minutes for us, and is doing a good job with them. I’d love to get him signed for next season to give a guy like Tuebert more AHL time. Jimmy is agreat option to have as a 3rd pairing shut-down guy that can step up. Dubs played great last night too, and really responded after two losses. He is going to be a good goalie one day, and hopefully Renney sees that. He might just be the biggest reason we got two points last night.

Strudwick is also finally doing something as he stood up and had a good fight again last night. I’m also impressed with Hall just throwing down the gloves and going at it last night. Says a lot about this kid and how tough he is.

I don’t have an issue with someone standing up for Hall right at that moment, as he even said himself in the after game interview that he doesn’t like having to be rescued all the time. That said (and the Sportsnet panel pointed this out after the game), Arneil put out Dorsett to start the third in order to get any retribution out of the way, and Dorsett was waiting for it, but the only thing that happened was Brule tried to start something (according to the play by play guys…I didn’t see it exactly). That I put on Renney. Jones even lined up beside the guy and just skated away after slashing his laces. Renney should have put out someone who would have done something.

So by my count:
    Hall +1 for not taking shit.
    Dorsett +1 for being accountable after. Plus he has a point, if someone starts swinging at you, you fight back.
    Arneil +1 for being accountable after.
    Renney -1 for not putting the right people out to start the third.
    Jones -1 for skating away from him.
    Brule +.00001 for apparently trying to start something, but like I said, I didn’t see it (only heard Quinn or Debrusk talk about it) and nothing actually happened.

Oh and BO, I’m with you on the Vandermeer for another year.

Yes Jones has fought before (when he was wearing a visor). But, uh, what use is Jones if not to be physical? To only hit? We already have someone like that in JFJ. At least Jones can pot a few goals here and there.

Its weird though, because Renney was known to love his goons in New York, so I don’t see why he’d hold them back now.

And one last Vandermeer comment…It was mentioned on Twitter (but I think it was by Bob McKenzie (Edit: It was Barnes)) that Hall really likes his Vanderbear and really didn’t want him traded. Might be worth keeping him another year just to keep Hall happy. And maybe fighting tips.

I looked, and Jones has had 1 career NHL fight (vs. Stefan Myers.. and I recall him not doing too hot) and 3 at the AHL level.

Not all your 4th liners have ability to fight, unfortunately. Yah, he’s here to check and score the odd goal, and play reliably defensively.

As for “Vanderbear”… that would be good to keep him around just for that reason. Interesting. I don’t think Vandermeer or anyone else should give Hall fighting tips though. Let him do his job, which is scoring.. not fighting. Let Vandermeer/MacI, etc. handle the rough stuff.

From Mark Spector’s twat:

Kevin Lowe: “We certainly do not want Taylor Hall fighting. That’s evident.”

28. Mr.Majestyk says:

maybe Hall does need fighting tips…Youngblood got destroyed by Racki in his first bout too…but we all know how that ended up.:)

chucker:
    Vandermeer should be re-signed without question.He’s meshed well with the team and knows his role.Hall liking him is a nice nudge to Tambi to get something done.

On another note, if Struds is re-signed, I will lose it.I understand great guy etc. and can fight, but it would be nice to upgrade on him with a guy like Nic Boynton.Yeah I said it.

It’s funny though.. I still remember him, how he was a month in (not good). I’m hoping he was just suffering from some nagging injury or Renney was being a bad coach or something. We all know he looked bad. So we have to be careful and wary that he possibly isn’t a very consistent d-man. But the way he’s playing right now is very good.

Mr.Majestyk:

That was probably the most phony part of that movie ;)

Vandermeer was good for the flames, cause I remember a buddy of mine kept talking him up and saying he was one of his favorite flames. And then he got traded to the coyotes and started scoring a bunch too.

Are you kidding?? It beats fighting with a shoe…

32. oilinblood says:

hemmerlady: Hallsey with the Gordie Howe hat trick. Luvvvit.Did not love the lack of response to the abuse of Hall…sounded like Dorsett was on him all night and Hall just had to make his own stand. If Pecks was in the lineup, it would have been different. Why can’t we get SOMEONE who can send a message to the other team: “mess with us, and you’re going to get hurt.”?Question: how much was the lack of retaliation (i.e. sticking up for your teammate let alone star player) a failing on the part of the players, and how much of it was a coaching mistake? Do you think Renney reined the guys in, warned them to stay disciplined, or that just nobody stepped up? Or both?

The issue was Halls hit in the middle of the ice. At first sight i thought it was a elbow but upon replay it looked like a blind side shoulder to head. That hit got Dorsett interested and Hall answered the bell. In a way a hit like that is always put a target on you whether you meant to connect with the head or not.
    People arent always going to be able to bail guys out and Hallsy responded in the right way. No one is going to blame hall for jumping Dorsett to get the first few punches in. He picked a guy who is a fighter and he was well aware of it.
    I dont think Hall and Eberle and Gags need to be protected as much as people think. Do you want them to do it often? no. But once or twice sends a message.
    As far as retribution, i think Halls hit in the middle of the ice was dangerous and dirty but not intentional. Dorsett finished some clean hits on him and Hall didnt like the attention. Whats done is done. Hall picked the fight… it was his move. Dorsetts hits were clean although certainly targeting Hall.

33. oilinblood says:

Racki: Are you kidding?? It beats fighting with a shoe…

Ahhhh, Terry O and Mad Mike.

34. oilinblood says:

Steve-O: Vandermeer was good for the Flamers, cause I remember a buddy of mine kept talking him up and saying he was one of his favorite Flamers. And then he got traded to the coyotes and started scoring a bunch too.And so long as Hall doesn’t try to sword fight anyone at centre ice I’ll be happy.

chucker: Vandermeer should be re-signed without question. He’s meshed well with the team and knows his role. Hall liking him is a nice nudge to Tambi to get something done.On another note, if Struds is re-signed, I will lose it. I understand great guy etc. and can fight, but it would be nice to upgrade on him with a guy like Nic Boynton. Yeah I said it.

Vandermeers funny. Upshall went into the net for the second time in a row and Vandy told him “why dont you just take it with you?”

35. oilinblood says:

Racki: Great fight by Strudwick last night against Dorsett. Too bad someone didn’t stand up to him after the Hall stuff. I don’t blame Dorsett or any Blue Jackets at all. Although like I said, I don’t think Dorsett was innocent in it at all either, so they should have sent someone to take care of business. Hall hit someone near the blueline I believe, and it didn’t look like a very clean hit (arms up?). Dorsett eventually went towards him and gave him a check, from what I saw, and then Hall reacted. So while Hall dropped the gloves, it wasn’t just because he felt like it. So it definitely warranted someone on the Oilers stepping up. Someone big was on the ice at the time of that fight too. I want to say Vandermeer.. I know I saw one of them yelling at Dorsett afterwards. I wish more would have been done.I’m going to hang this noose around Renney though. Too many players that have history of fighting have sat back… and I can only guess that Renney is holding them back. As for Jones not fighting him.. has Jones really ever fought? I don’t see much need for Jones attacking Dorsett’s fists with his face to get retribution. It should definitely be up to the guys who know how to handle themselves since Dorsett isn’t exactly a push over.

yes it was Vandy.