Trade Deadline Awesomeness

By , February 27, 2011 9:38 pm
Trade deadline approaches.. FUCK YEAH!

Trade deadline approaches.. FUCK YEAH!

So, the Christmas day of the NHL approaches… the trade deadline. It’s Monday, February 28th @ 1:00PM MST. The days leading up to the deadline were actually quite excitement filled. TSN has a trade tracker page up here. I count 25 trades this month alone (26 now, as I type this.. as news just came in that Brad Boyes was dealt to Buffalo). Who even thought Erik Johnson, James Neal or Craig Anderson would be available? It’ll be interesting to see if this deadline finishes with a bang or fizzles out.

As for the Oilers, I don’t expect much at all. Foil contributor Zackman35 had a good comment today about the moves he could see the Oilers making, which inspired my list below…

Here are the players I could see teams having an interest in (that are “available”.. in order of interest):
Hemsky, Penner, Gagner, Cogliano, Smid, Vandermeer, Jones, Foster

Guys who I can see us actually moving:
Vandermeer, Cogliano, Smid

Guys I don’t want to see moved from the names above:
Hemsky/Penner/Gagner (unless the return is huge), Jones/Smid (again, unless its an offer we can’t refuse)

Other guys I would like to see moved / stuffed in deals for names above:
Strudwick, JFJ, Fraser, Gilbert

As for needs… the needs are obvious. We could use more draft picks, we could use a top line center with some size, and we can use some better defensemen – guys that can take care of business in their own end, but perhaps have some offensive ability. The key here is that if we trade our proven talent in the form of Hemsky, Penner, Cogs, etc. that we trade for a player with high potential and for picks.

Anyways, once the deal’s start flying, I’ll probably post the big deals in this thread here (i.e. I’ll edit the thread). Enjoy deadline day!
EDIT: Going to just post Oilers trades. One so far..

OILERS MOVES

Deal 1:
To EDM: Kevin Montgomery (D)
To COL: Shawn Belle (D)

Not a big deal… Mark Spector claims that Belle was “sulking in OKC” though, so this was just a move to rid the team of a bad apple, by the sounds of it.

The Pipeline Show also has a short write up on Montgomery.

Deal 2:
To EDM: Colton Teubert, LA’s 1st in 2011, and conditional pick in 2012 (not mentioned yet)
To LA: Dustin Penner

Teubert wasn’t the Kings best D prospect (that is Derek Forbort), but he fits a need.. he’s a big, shutdown d-man type. Read more here.

Here is the scouting report:
Assets – Is a nasty defenseman with loads of toughness. Owns a projectable frame and all-around upside. Can also score goals due to a good shot from the point.

Flaws – Must fill out his frame to fully develop into an all-around blue-liner at the highest level. Needs a bit more refining in the defensive zone.

Career Potential – Potential all-around blue-liner.

What do you think of the Penner trade today?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

171 Responses to “Trade Deadline Awesomeness”

1. dawgtoy says:

MetalOil: I think we have to give Teuburt a lil bit of leeway in regards to his development. Missing camp and and the first part of the season with a wrist injury down in Manchester is probably(hopefully) the main reason his stock has dropped this year, especially in his first pro year.Theo Peckham went through the same sort of thing in his development missing Camp for the 2009-2010 season and some would say struggled mightily(some would say, I wouldn’t) but now look at him now, everyone loves him now!!!Now Peckham and Teuburt seem to be fairly comparable in terms of what they do/could bring to the team and I would like the team to do is follow the Peckham model in development of this kid. This should include having Teuburt playing a couple of games for the Oil in this season’s last 10 games of the year, Giving him 10-20 games in the NHL the following season and then increasing his NHL Game action based on how productive his is from then on out.Now if there is one thing this team needs more then anything (besides goaltending ) it is more Theo Peckham types. So in that regard I am happy to have another one of these types in the system. P.S I want some more Theo Peckham types for the forward ranks to be added to the team in the next few years.Also:Yes we took a risk in the Penner trade but I think it is a very calculated risk as our great scouts are sure to have seen Teuburt play a ton when he played for the Pats when we were scouting Eberle so we must have a good knowledge of what we are getting here. Because if there is anyone in the Oilers organization that I trust then it has to be the “Magnificent Baster”

Very true.

2. MetalOil says:

I have to think the Penner trade is some sort of precursor to some big activity in the summer. Be it the free agent market or or in trades including some draft day movement. The FA market is not heavily stocked this year as I don’t see us making a play at
    Richards(if he even makes it to free agency). I would love to add Ville Leino from the free agent market but he does play LW where we are pretty stacked at, especially if we do resign Jones. Other then that there not much more out there that interests me all that much( Radim Vrbata interests me a little too). So I hope we can expect the trade market to be our friend this summer or else its gonna be another rough ride next season.

John: I hear what you’re saying Racki, we do need to see what he evolves into it’s just frustrating when I see a guy work his way through our system (especially a defenceman), then get traded just when he starts to get good then we start all over again building up guys from almost scratch to acheive a similar style/ skill set that we already had. I guess it’s that whole grooming players for better teams thing that has exsisted in Edmonton. Hopefully that philosophy (or perceived philosophy anyway) is ending with this new management/ ownership regime. I too would be happy if CT evolved into a Regehr type :)

Yah it can seem like a very cyclical process of bringing players in here.. developing them.. using them for a bit.. sending them out.. and then looking for the same player again. Matt Greene I don’t mind so much, because he (and Stoll) fetched us Visnovsky, who fetched us Whitney. The Whitney’s are harder to come by, in my opinion.

Anyways, I’m starting to read some more positive comments about Teubert. Most of it is coming from the LA Kings org… which is either a way of directing us away from the thought that Lombardi bent Tambellini over the table, or Teubert actually is a good player on a long, but solid development path.

At any rate, as I’ve been saying along, this deal needs us all to be patient. I will say though that at the moment, it feels a little unnecessary to me. But it might open the door for Paajarvi (or someone else) to get more ice time… and possibly help with their development. It might also afford us the ability to sign or trade for a big C. The trade also might allow us to package that pick and move up in draft (I mean with the 2nd pick, not our 1st pick which I’m almost certain will be #1 overall again).

Still lots of unknowns. I’m a little worried about it, but also feeling positive that this could really pay off in the end. Time will tell!

chucker:
    http://communities.canada.com/edmontonjournal/blogs/hockey/archive/2011/02/28/the-warren-harding-error-why-the-oilers-kept-others-but-traded-away-dustn-penner.aspxStaples survey’s the Oilogosphere on the trade.Not very positive.

What did they have to say when we signed penner? (dont sweat it ;) )

5. MetalOil says:

When the trade first went down my first thought losing a lot of size in our lineup. I started thinking about how we can address this with the most likely possibility being in the FA market and off season trade market. But looking from within could this open up a spot for Teemu Hartikainen to earn a spot on the team next camp? Teemu seems to be progressing rather nicely in OKC this year and is said to be a very good forchecker. He also recently won AHL rookie of the month honers. I originally had him pegged as being a couple of years away from landing a spot on the big club but with Penner gone could he be fast tracked to Edmonton if we strike out on landing some big bodies this summer?

6. Mr.Majestyk says:

i’m not a big fan of fast tracking guys to the NHL. An argument could be made that Paajarvi would have been better served playing this season in the AHL but due to the team selling the future and thus the rookies.

Hartikainen might be fine Oiler someday, heck it might be next year…but he should have to earn a roster spot…the way it stands guys don’t have to do much to earn a spot…they just get it. If we had called up Hartikainen and he looked like he was ready to replace Penner next year, it would be a natural progression. The young guys need to push the older guys out the door, we shouldn’t be getting rid of a useful player if we don’t have someone to take his spot in the roster.

On the note of size… it is the first that jumps to mind, for sure. But a couple things I want to point out: 1) Penner didn’t use his size in an aggressive manner it all and 2) Penner occasionally played with the smurfs, but his regular linemates were two guys that didn’t have any issues with battling – Horcoff and Hemsky.

I will say though that Penner was good at opening up ice. That isn’t necessarily because of his size, but more so probably because he’s a threat out there. For me, Penner will be missed.. but I’m not so sure the lack of his big body is a big impact yet or not. I think having a big center to play with Hall and Eberle would have a bigger impact though than Penner’s big body playing with Horcoff and Hemsky. Just my 2 cents on that.

I guess what I’m saying is, we need size in certain areas. We need it with players that have tough time in corners and get knocked around. We need big guys to help push back when our players get pushed around. That’s the way I see it.

That said, I guess there is something to say though about his ability to entrench himself in the slot and bang pucks in. I guess we’ll have to change to a more Camalleri type mentality of scoring goals – stand in the high slot and hammer away, perhaps. Jones will probably have to take over for now for the net traffic-type guy. But he definitely doesn’t have the hands of Penner. Not a lot of players do.

8. Mr.Majestyk says:

yeah, whether or not a guy uses his size to his advantage or not…size is still a factor to an extent. Just standing infront of the net or whatever. He just goes where he wants to go…smurfs around the nhl can’t handle him.

A lot of people are saying the Oilers lost this deal. If I remember correctly however, the same people thought we got crushed on the Lubo for Whitney trade, which honestly I think we did a really good on.

The Penner trade does not make us a better team right now, everyone knows that. However, the Oilers add a piece which will help them in Teubert, and any time a rebuilding team can add a first and what looks to be a 2nd reound pick, its a good deal. I understand the Oilers lost their lone power forward, but did Penner really use his size all the time? No not really. He took so many shifts off as well. He said he wanted to stay, but in all honesty does anyone here think he really would have? I know I don’t.

The Oilers currently only have 1 top pairing defender on their roster, and that is Ryan Whitney. Lets say the Oilers draft Larsson this June, he becomes the other top pairing defender, and that leaves Petry and Teubert together for the future on the 2nd pairing. Colten is the perfect fit for this team right now. He is young, has loads of potential, has size, plays physical and is a shut-down defender, something we so badly need. If he turns into a 2nd pairing defender, PERFECT! We will have him and Petry holding down the 2nd pairing for years to come, with Larsson and Whitney on the top pairing.

I know a lot of people have no faith in the front office, but I do. Why? They were laughed at for their bad drafting. Stu has turned that around with great picks like Petry, Gagner, Omark, Paajarvi, Eberle, Hall, Marincin, Hamilton, Pitlick, Roy, and Plante. In trades they turned Lubo into Whitney and a pick, Staios into Johnson and a pick, POS into Vandermeer, and now Penner into a first, 2nd and top defensive prospect. I’ll take this deal any day of the week.

I know some will say I’m just saying this to make myself feel better about the trade, but in all honesty Tambi did a great job filling a need on the backend, and did a good job to get us that 2nd pick in round 1, and what looks to be another pick in round 2 next season. I’m not sure why people are flipping out, because we just added 3 nice pieces to this rebuild. One of which we could see as soon as next season.

I am in favor of this deal, and think Steve got the best trade on the market, which also fit a need for a top defensive prospect who is BIG, PHYSICAL and plays a SHUT-DOWN style. Good work Steve.

11. John says:

Racki: Just pointing out… its a 3rd. Still good. But its a 2nd if kings win cup. We DON’T want that. If they win cup this year.. that first becomes 30th overall.

12. MetalOil says:

We really should have just made that conditional pick a none conditional 2nd rounder. I think Lombardi would have caved.

John: Not only would our pick slip to 30 but once again Oil fans would have to sit & watch one of our best players help an inter-conference rival win a cup, talk about sour grapes :/

I would be OK with this one though, if not for the picks. I only hated seeing the Ducks win because it was Chris F. Pronger. I’d be happy for Penner, Smytty, Stoll and Greene if they won a cup. I personally don’t get too wrapped up in the whole intraconference thing when our team is a bottom feeder anyways. Unless that team has a dick on it like Pronger ;)

MetalOil:

15. MetalOil says:

Racki: I would be OK with this one though, if not for the picks. I only hated seeing the Ducks win because it was Chris F. Pronger. I’d be happy for Penner, Smytty, Stoll and Greene if they won a cup. I personally don’t get too wrapped up in the whole intraconference thing when our team is a bottom feeder anyways. Unless that team has a dick on it like Pronger

Yeah the Kings of late have always been a team I have liked because of the ex oiler factor. I had planed on them being my team to cheer for out of the west. Now not so much. I don’t think it will matter anyways as I am predicting a the Canucks to come out of the west VS ether the Bruins or Flyers in the SCF’s.

Some good news on the trade from Elliot Friedman that makes me feel a little better about it:

Several other execs thought the Dustin Penner trade was fair. Colten Teubert is exactly what Edmonton needs: a nasty, edgy brute. He’ll never be a huge point producer, but does have it in him to become a shutdown guy. When you’ve had 21 first- or second-round picks since 2003 (Kings), you can take this kind of a risk.

Also…

Another GM who really swung for the fences was Edmonton’s Steve Tambellini. He refused to back off a steep price for Ales Hemsky. It’s common knowledge he asked L.A. for Brayden Schenn, and was rejected. He asked Columbus for Ryan Johansen, a non-starter for the Blue Jackets. Similar hardballs were thrown at Pittsburgh (which was willing to include Alex Goligoski before his own trade) and Nashville. Biggest problem for Tambellini? Teams were wary of paying that price for a guy who’s missed 77 games over the past two seasons. A healthy year helps Hemsky’s value.

Racki: I agree. I think Lombardi is guaranteed to have gotten a great player. For us… that trade will be uncertain for at least a few years.

So is Teubert in OKC now? I, like all, am VERY interested in following his progress and seeing some video when it comes available.

I don’t need much. Just some bone crunching hits, a few fights and some chippy play will make me feel better.

Also, I was wondering if guys like MPS and our other young guys are eligible to go to OKC for the playoffs. I’m not sure on the CBA issues etc.

Don’t quote me on all of that though ;)

Racki: Well there is no reason why we shouldn’t be able to send MPS down, right? In his case, anyways.. he could be sent to the AHL now, so there is no reason why he couldn’t be sent later. Same with Omark and Eberle.As for Hall, I think Windsor’s playoffs/season would have to be over, and if it were, he could go down to OKC. Don’t quote me on all of that though Also, I redirect your attention above your post to some quotes I snuck in before you posted… came from Elliot Friedman. Makes me feel a little better about the trade.

Yeah, I was mildly comforted by those comments. Friedman seems like a guy who knows what the deal is.

As for the kids, yeah, I was thinking the same thing about eligibility to go to the A. I think there will be a split between that and the worlds for our young guys. Either way, I’d like them to get the experience.