Trade Deadline Awesomeness

By , February 27, 2011 9:38 pm
Trade deadline approaches.. FUCK YEAH!

Trade deadline approaches.. FUCK YEAH!

So, the Christmas day of the NHL approaches… the trade deadline. It’s Monday, February 28th @ 1:00PM MST. The days leading up to the deadline were actually quite excitement filled. TSN has a trade tracker page up here. I count 25 trades this month alone (26 now, as I type this.. as news just came in that Brad Boyes was dealt to Buffalo). Who even thought Erik Johnson, James Neal or Craig Anderson would be available? It’ll be interesting to see if this deadline finishes with a bang or fizzles out.

As for the Oilers, I don’t expect much at all. Foil contributor Zackman35 had a good comment today about the moves he could see the Oilers making, which inspired my list below…

Here are the players I could see teams having an interest in (that are “available”.. in order of interest):
Hemsky, Penner, Gagner, Cogliano, Smid, Vandermeer, Jones, Foster

Guys who I can see us actually moving:
Vandermeer, Cogliano, Smid

Guys I don’t want to see moved from the names above:
Hemsky/Penner/Gagner (unless the return is huge), Jones/Smid (again, unless its an offer we can’t refuse)

Other guys I would like to see moved / stuffed in deals for names above:
Strudwick, JFJ, Fraser, Gilbert

As for needs… the needs are obvious. We could use more draft picks, we could use a top line center with some size, and we can use some better defensemen – guys that can take care of business in their own end, but perhaps have some offensive ability. The key here is that if we trade our proven talent in the form of Hemsky, Penner, Cogs, etc. that we trade for a player with high potential and for picks.

Anyways, once the deal’s start flying, I’ll probably post the big deals in this thread here (i.e. I’ll edit the thread). Enjoy deadline day!
EDIT: Going to just post Oilers trades. One so far..

OILERS MOVES

Deal 1:
To EDM: Kevin Montgomery (D)
To COL: Shawn Belle (D)

Not a big deal… Mark Spector claims that Belle was “sulking in OKC” though, so this was just a move to rid the team of a bad apple, by the sounds of it.

The Pipeline Show also has a short write up on Montgomery.

Deal 2:
To EDM: Colton Teubert, LA’s 1st in 2011, and conditional pick in 2012 (not mentioned yet)
To LA: Dustin Penner

Teubert wasn’t the Kings best D prospect (that is Derek Forbort), but he fits a need.. he’s a big, shutdown d-man type. Read more here.

Here is the scouting report:
Assets – Is a nasty defenseman with loads of toughness. Owns a projectable frame and all-around upside. Can also score goals due to a good shot from the point.

Flaws – Must fill out his frame to fully develop into an all-around blue-liner at the highest level. Needs a bit more refining in the defensive zone.

Career Potential – Potential all-around blue-liner.

What do you think of the Penner trade today?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

171 Responses to “Trade Deadline Awesomeness”

oilinblood: LA prospering makes a difference to me…because it means value. If a GM cant see that than he shouldnt be in that position. I wont battle about it anymore because its done and this crap draft has another pick which likely will end up being in the 24-25 range.

Guy can play either wing, score 30 from both, play 3rd 2nd 1st lines with anyone, good in room, loved edmonton, good quote to boot, and when a true cheap shot is made and hes on the ice he grabs the person throws them in the air with one hand and punches them with the other so they go on IR with a concussion for 2 weeks.

lets throw him away for Deans “mistake” and a 25th pick in the crappiest draft of the decade.

That’s a huge stretch, the comment about him standing up for teammates… in my humble opinion, that was severely lacking in him. He did it on occasion, but not nearly enough. But I’m not going to rag on Penner, as he was a fave of mine, and I can agree with a lot of the rest (not sure he can score 30 from both wings though). I just think it’s a strange comment, given that was the biggest knock on him from a lot of people.

The pick is currently a 20th overall pick (although that can change – either way, however)… “and the crappiest draft in the decade” can still easily have some good gems.

I am still on the fence on the deal, but I am not judging it fully yet as we will not see the fruits (good or bad) of this deal until at least a few years in.. unless the picks and Teubert prove to be huge duds.

I didn’t get to hear the interview, but here’s what his AHL coach said on Teubert (per Ryan Rishaug):

Big, brave stand up guy, needs to make better decisions with puck at times, but moves well.

Bottom line.. we’ll see. Could have potential to go either way.

And BTW, you’re comment about a team prospering, and “because it means value” is a bit of a no-brainer. I don’t think Tambellini set out to get the worst deal possible. He obviously knows he has value to a team and tried to get the most out of a Penner trade. I can’t quite put into words what I’m getting at here, but it’s a bit of a silly point. A GM isn’t going to move a big name player with a thought in their mind that their player isn’t going to do much on the other team. Obviously they’re going to try and squeeze every bit out of the other GM.

I would say if anything maybe we shouldn’t have dealt with the Kings, as what they were offering for Hemsky was insulting. But I think Tambi got the most he could possibly get for Penner from the Kings. I wonder what other deals were out there though. Montreal did apparently show interest.. but they don’t really have much to offer, imho..

BTW, I really would have liked to have seen Tambellini try to squeeze a little more out of the deal. Maybe sacrifice the 3rd rounder and try and pull one of the two overrated 3rd liners Lombardi was trying to hock on us.

So I’m definitely not saying it was the best deal. I just am acknowledging the fact that writing it off as a bad deal at this point is a bit silly since there is a lot of unknown in the deal still.

3. MetalOil says:

The more I think about the deal the less I like it however the one thing I like in Teuburt is that he is a mean guy and that is something we need. On Global news they said he writes punisher on the knob of his stick to remind himself of what he needs to do. I am hoping he turns into a 2nd pairing, stay at home defender that will deter our opponents from taking runs at our stars. That is the ideal outcome for me but this deal is a wait and hope for the best type of deal just like the Pronger deal was. I absolutely hated that deal when it went down but in the end we did get Eberle out of it and that made it more bearable.

Speaking of Eberle… Tencer quoted that Teubert (I think it was him) mentioned that Eberle is excited about it because Teubert used to protect him in junior.

5. hemmerlady says:

I’m not sure what I think about this yet. I will admit my first reaction was relief of not seeing Hemmer’s pic on the Tradecentre page :). Ok so my second reaction was “nooo…what are we gonna do about toughness now, other than Wreckham?” But then I thought about it…although Penns had been playing tougher at times, I don’t think he always used his size to his advantage. I wanted to see him stick up for guys, e.g. the Timbits more.

I agree that this may turn out to be a really good deal, but it seems like life is going to suck for longer than I hoped. I’ll miss Penner’s personality and I think the team will miss his presence and scoring contribution.

I kind of wish we’d gotten something more tangible out of the deal, but considering we’re in the bowels of the NHL and have the opportunity to draft well this year…Short term pain, long term gain? (We’re oil fans. It’s long term pain.)

6. oilinblood says:

off the top of my head i think it was 28 goals from the RW his rookie season, maybe 29.

I dont think this trade made any sense. doesnt help now and i dont think it will help in the future. as for the now … we lose a big body who has a good touch. Far from a power forward his game was based on smart positioning due to his lack of speed… he wouldnt finish checks because to check someone would mean removing himself from the play and at his foot speed catching up would be a slow matter.

Personally i would have kept him an oiler all the way and offered him something next feb based on the current situation. if i felt he was the third best LW at that time id offer him a deal for a 3rd best lw. He could play any wing in any combo. If he felt like rejecting it i would have been happy to either trade for a mediocr pick or let him walk for free.

To me having a player like Penner next season is more important than a couple of prayers. i think stu is great at what he does and we have a great team of amateur scouts, but cmon. I think a 2nd in 2012 (50-59) is more attractive than a 20-30 this year.

Also i had asked about negotiations and wondering if my understanding of the cba was correct on extensions… i had asked if it was even possible to negotiate before July1st 2011 on a contract expiring july 1st 2012… i got a resounding no. Infact horcoff even brought it up in his interview that its against the cba to talk figures before the 1year countdown. Horcs called it “illegal” giving thoughts of feds breaking down doors… but hes basically correct in nhl terms.

I think in the intro to this thread you said Hemmer or Penner shouldnt be traded “unless the return is HUGE”. Do you feel you got that? Remember we didnt need to do anything. We had Penner happy here with a good contract and another season to go full of sophmore jinxes.

8. MetalOil says:

Racki:
    SO lost in this… Richard Petiot has been recalled by the Oil.

Nice!! I absolutely loved Petiot’s play at camp and am looking forward to seeing him on the big club for a game or two.

OIB: Did he play RW in Anaheim? I was under the impression he was a LW there too. I know he played of course with Getzlaf and Perry, and Perry is a RWer… and I believe he also was out with Marchant a lot too, who is also a RWer. I never heard anything about him playing RW there, but granted I also didn’t follow the Ducks at all either. But I’m not so sure he played a lot of RW there to where I’d confidently say he can score 30 from the RW… a little moot though, in my opinion anyways, as I don’t think that’s much of an issue for me. He’s a stellar LW.

Also, no, I don’t feel at this time that the return was huge on Penner. Does it have potential to be huge? Tough call.. likely no though. If we are actually getting a Robyn Regehr, I think it is, especially if that 1st rounder really pans out (or the 3rd / potentially 2nd rounder). Like I said, I’m still on the fence and won’t really know 100% how I feel until a few years from now.

I can say that right now though, I do have a lot of trepidation too. I don’t think it was at all as good of a deal as I would have expected and I don’t think I would have made it. But I’ll wait and see before I fully judge.

One thing I like hearing is that Teubert is apparently tough to play against.. i.e. he punishes players. Having Peckham and Teubert out there could make the Oilers pretty difficult to play against one day for forwards.

10. oilinblood says:

Racki: MO: I kind of agree with a bit of both of what you guys said. I too am a bit more worried about the deal the more I think about it. However, if Teubert lives up to his original potential, then this is a great deal for us. Right now the comparisons being made are to Matt Greene. As far as the 1st rounder.. well, we’ll have to wait and see on that. HL: Yah, that’s exactly it.. short term pain.. potential long term gain. The problem of course is that it’s only “potential” at this point.. and we know potential can go either way. So all that said, I’m definitely worried about the trade too. I’m open to the chance that it could work out to be very good for us though and don’t see reason to call the deal just yet – as a bust or as a success.

I was honestly irritated by the idea that you so willingly approved this trade and seemingly endorsed it. I think alot of people miss the fact that his contract wasnt expiring this year. Nevermind that he was vocal about wanting to stay. As one journalist noted, Penner nevers turns down a reporter – although he can be grumbly, and make you look foolish with silent responses to ill advised questions- but hes never been one to seek out reporters. The single known occassion came on sunday when Penner directed all the journalists to his stall after practice to clear the air. Dustin stood before the crowd of tape recorders and mics and made it abundantly clear that his hopes are that he remains an oiler past the conclusion of his current deal”. that was 2 weeks ago

meh. where the return of a 30 goal player to our lineup? People will say hall… how was penner holding hall back that this trade makes sense? Magnus? Last i checked Penner played with everyone well and plays both wings and Magnus has chemistry with Omark but isnt consistent. So why is Penner expendible? Cause his contract is expiring? in 100 games and after 12 months of possible negotiating.

11. oilinblood says:

it irritates me when people whos opinions i respect seem to be so 180 from me on a rather important topic. sorry about the rant but i am still fuming.

Its nice to see otehrs are seeing the situation. we gave up something EVERY team would love to have… and thats at his worst (a big body, positionally sound, soft hands, secondary scorer with high hockey IQ and great personality in the room) . We gave that up and made a GIGANTIC Hole which no one has yet to point out but will become very very clear soon as the flashbacks to 07 come in… and we took Deans crap. In return the pick will go from 20 to 25 and likely we plummet hard to the bottom and if Karma is true we will lose the lotto.

12. oilinblood says:

it doesnt irritate me… it frustrates me…then the frustration irritates me

fix the edit thing.

As I mentioned, I’m still on the fence about the trade and will wait to judge fully. The more I read up on Teubert, the less sure I am , either way. And if you’re getting frustrated/irritated over this, and consider this an “important topic” then perhaps you need to seekout some meds, as I can’t say I’ve ever reached that point in my history of being a hockey fan!

14. MetalOil says:

Did we get enough for Penner? Maybe, but probably not. Trade aside the one thing I like is the depth we now have on D and there is some size there now.

Plante
    Petry
    Teuburt
    &
    Possibly Larrson

The future of our D looks a lot more promising today and I think we can bank on at least 2 of those 4 turning into NHL D men. And that in its self does not make me feel all that pissed off!!!!

Oilinblood, I’m not sure this trade is nearly as bad as you think. I think it was becoming more and more possible Penner would walking in July 2012. He wanted to be in Cali, and if you watch the presser it almost looks like he is holding a smile back. I’m not saying that Penner wanted out or anything, but i’m thinking he would much rather be an LA King.

As for the return, well to get a 1st round pick and a 2nd round pick is nice. Who knows where the picks are but its nice to have 2 in round 1. As for Teubert, well I like him but I would rather Forbort. Teubert will be an NHL defender. I don’t care much for the Matt Greene comparison, but we need a top 4 shut-down defender for the future. No one will argue that and we get one here by the looks of it.

I think you might be over reacting to this deal. I know Penner is a good player and Powerforward, but I think we will be just fine without him.

Also, love the callup of Petiot, he played well in training camp. Looking forward to seeing Teubert in the AHL aswell. Let that kid develop correctly Tambi! I think Tambi got a good deal here in the Penner trade, and I’ll take that any day of the week over him walking in 2012. Also, I’m thrilled Hemsky stayed, hopefully he re-signs here and doesn’t walk. Something also tells me Vandermeer will get a contract extension after the season. Just a gut feeling.

16. Mr.Majestyk says:

not really happy with this trade. We didn’t need to make any moves because we’re in last place…the Kings needed to do something. Originally there was talk of Brad Richards going to LA. Well Dallas didnt move Richards so that probably made it that much more important that the Kings get someone to push them. So they decide to pick up Penner, but we don’t even get their top D prospect. Not too long ago when we were all talking about trading Pens or Hemmer, it was all about possibly getting Schenn. I realize that Tambi tried to get Schenn but LA wasn’t willing to do that…but again…no Schenn, no Forbert…basically no can’t miss prospect or young NHL ready roster player…that makes me not like this deal.

If we held onto Penner and ended up dealing him at next years deadline we probably would have gotten almost as much.

17. dawgtoy says:

18. Mr.Majestyk says:

dawgtoy, for me i just feel like we should have gotten more for Penner.

Ottawa got a 1st and conditional 2nd pick from Nashville for Fisher

Kris Versteeg got the Leafs a 1st and 3rd.

I’m fine with moving a guy like Penner, but I would like to see us get a young NHL ready player back…or no brainer prospect…Forbert if we’re getting a D.

I wanna point out everyone screaming and wanting to kill Tamib after the Whitney deal last year cause we all (mysef included) thought it sucked. I trust Steve with this deal, I like the deal. Think we got some good pieces for a rebuild. I for one am happy with both deals today. I liked Pens, was a really nice guy when I got the chance to meet him, but Tambi picked Hemsky to keep for the rebuild, so lets move forward and hope for the best with this deal to help our rebuild.

20. MetalOil says:

Also worth noting here is that Teubert was injured at the start of the year and missed all of camp. That’s never the best way to start off a pro career and maybe a good reason for his apperant lack of progression this year. If I remember correctly Theo Peckham went through the same sort of thing in his development and look at him now!!!

21. dawgtoy says:

In Stu I trust, if he was asked to give his 2 cents worth on Teubert, and he signed off on it…that’s good enough for me. BO, I agree, just fans knee jerking. We love our Oil and want to return to the winning ways, in a few years this team will be on the other side of this trade. We will be the team signing the talent for prospects and picks. It took LA a long time to get where they are. Oiler fans said they’d be patient, we need to show it. Bullets for Stu, stay the course.

dawgtoy: I’m a little in shock and a lot in awe today. Not necessarily on the return for Dustin Penner, but how negative the comments have been. Maybe it’s a knee jerk reaction based on the frustration of the rebuild, maybe it’s a fundamental lack of understanding the rebuild, or maybe just not understanding the time frame of a rebuild. Either way, did fans really think we’d draft Taylor Hall and we’d live happily ever after? Maybe people are able to see into the future and say for certain that Teubert is never going to be a solid prospect, but did anyone think Teddy Peckman would have the season he is having? Bullets are needed to make this work, we lost a good soldier, but were dead last with him. I know Joey Moss is very sad, but why is everyone else?

I was thinking the same thing dawg. (I sound like Randy Jackson)

Anyways; The Peckham comparison is a good one, but I’d say that Teubert has and does have bigger potential than Pecks. That’s good. I expect him to follow the same path in terms of being up for a few cups of coffee and then a regular in two years. In the meantime we have Plante, who IMHO, is NHL ready very, very soon and Marincin will take Plante’s spot in the rankings.

I kind of like a guy who writes “punisher” on his stick to be coming here. Smashmouth D men that we can use in spades. Although I would have definitely been happier with Simmonds and drop the last pick or Forbert same deal, Teubert will be good. How long did it take the Johnson’s to become regular NHLers? Yeah, a couple years and they are still rough. Teubert will be no different, but I definitely am being optomistic in this post. I still would have preferred Forbert or Simmonds with the first.

As for the draft OIB, the draft is said to be weak because of the lack of elite talent, but it’s also supposed to be the deepest draft in the top 80-90 players in years in terms of guys who will definitley play some role permanently in the NHL. That first could get us a guy like Simmonds pretty easily. I’m hoping and praying that MacGregor turns this deal into a huge win. As for the conditional draft, it’s hard to say what that will be and what we can get, but I like our scouting a lot.

Let me be clear, I’m not really excited by this trade and I think we could have done a lot better, especially with the gun to Lombardi’s head from management to get playoff revenue, but it is not terrible either. It’s a mediocre trade with potential to be a good trade, all contingent on our abilities to convert a prospect and two draft picks into roster players. I like our odds right now.

BTW, not saying Teubert is going to be like the Johnsons, just that D men don’t always follow a smooth upward development tragectory.

I’m still 50/50 on this one. I can understand why there are people freaking out about it… we gave up a top roster body for unproven player and a couple of picks (by the way, for those saying the other pick is a “2nd rounder”, it’s not.. it’s a 3rd with a very slight chance of being a 2nd). So I completely understand that. We also didn’t get any of the “home run” prospects like Schenn (who, granted, isn’t necessarily going to be successful.. although I think he is). It was a risky trade. We didn’t have to move Penner. I don’t believe he wants to go anywhere (although most players don’t Sheldon Souray their way out of situations they don’t like, and the City of Edmonton shit on Penner for 2 years… I do take his words of wanting to stay at face value). So the more I think about it, the less I like it.

When I first read about Teubert (and remembering back to the WJHCs), I was excited to get him, as I know how he has played in the past. He’s struggled in LA’s system, but I wonder if that has a lot to do with the fact that they have a lot of depth at D there.

As I’ve repeatedly said, I’m still keeping a very open mind to this trade. Only time well tell here. On the surface, it is a little disappointing to me too when I think about it, because this one has the potential to bomb like the Pronger deal. But I think we could pick up a guy who may even end up like a Robyn Regehr type for us.

I like the toughness he brings, and like that he isn’t just a useless thug. He should be able to play regular NHL minutes at some point.

On a positive, yet also negative note (lol), this might even seal the deal on us landing the #1 pick (lottery aside). Also, if Tambo follows this up with some smart signings at forward, I’m cool with it.

Oh uh.. what Chucker said above mine (the bigger post). That pretty much sums up how I feel on this trade as of now.

26. MetalOil says:

It’s a mediocre trade with potential to be a good trade, all contingent on our abilities to convert a prospect and two draft picks into roster players.I like our odds right now.

Some quotes to help feel better about this haha (I feel like this is the Dustin Penner trade support group):

Lombardi on Teubert: “He’s come a long way. He was arguably one of our most improved players down there (in the AHL)”

Teubert on Eberle: “We always joked about retiring together”

Teubert on his chances with the Oil “This is just great news. The Kings had a strong roster with a lot of depth. For me, to be going to the Oilers, and having an opportunity to be a part of that organization is exciting. But I’m not expecting to walk in and just get handed an opportunity. I have to earn what I get.”

Smid on his own trade rumors: “You try not to pay too much attention to it, but at the same time you do. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t. I said it before, I’d like to stay here. I enjoy coming to the locker room every day. It’s fun here. We have huge potential. It’s the city, too. It’s hockey crazy and I love it. I know we haven’t been winning that much, but I think this team can be really good and I’d like to be a part of it in the future. It’s just fun to play here.”

Also, Tambellini has pitched an offer to Ryan Jones’ agent.. I am happy about that. I hope they get something done.

MetalOil: Yeah this trade reeks of past Oiler trades (before the lockout until after the Pronger deal)were we were always trading proven players for unproven prospects). The difference is the player development and the scouting in this organization has improved 10 fold in a short period of time so maybe that can give us a lil more hope that things will work out better this go around.

Yah, I’m personally putting a lot of stock in our current scouting staff’s ability to judge talent. Although they did screw up with Foster/Fraser, I would say. Neither of them were risky pick ups though.

29. Mr.Majestyk says:

our amateur scouting staff has made some really good picks in recent years but in order for this trade to be a good one atleast one of the pieces coming back has to be as good or better than Penner. I think that would put the pressure on Teubert to be that guy because even if there are gems with a late first rounder there aren’t too many impact players or 30 goal scorers down that far…even less so when you look at a late third rounder.

I agree with Racki that this trade won’t look so bad in hindsight if Tambi is able to plug holes in our lineup via free agency, because signing a free agent is like trading for a proven NHL vet without giving up any picks or players…but then there’s the heavy price tag that comes with the free agent frenzy…its almost always a huge overpayment.

30. John says:

OinB; I’m not as radically upset by the trade as you but I definitely smell what you’re tasting! Of course it will take another year or two to fully assess the value of those draft picks but right now I think we as fans got hosed yet again. The thing is what’s bad for the fans in the short term is not necessarily bad for the franchise in the longer term which is what guys like Chucker & Racki are trying to say (I think,)so as unhappy as I am about the trade, I will try to project patience & support for management. Having said that, if/when the Oil are down a goal or several at the end of the 3rd & I’ve had a “few” Rye & Cokes, don’t think I’ll miss an opportunity to mention how some of Penner’s big game clutch goals/PP goals could have turned the game for us ;)

Actually I’m looking at the bright side right now; Tambi just secured the 1st or 2nd overall picks for the next 2 years for the Oilers :) See, it’s easy lol.

I actually like the trade, it’s going to take some great scouting and some luck in development and in the area of the Kings defeat. It’s a gamble but it could payoff.

The reality of it seems like that Penner wasn’t looking to stay in Edmonton for the same price and all and all I think that it was a pretty smart move on ST’s behalf. Penners physical stature is a commodity in itself however his psychological side of his game is something else. Every time I attended a game in the past three years, even though it’s only been a handful of games I’ve always noticed Penners lack of urgency, and a sense of lazy rovering with his skating. When the play would get going sometimes he could turn into a wrecking ball but a lot of the times he would saunter during the play. He’s a good player there’s no doubt about it but I think the psychological factors will hinder his ability to play at his own peak.

I’m okay with the Penner trade because we get a prospect that I have no doubt Stu the magnificient bastard, has had some time to look at him not only that but now getting another pick in the first round we could have some more success. In Stu I trust. The other thing is that I doubt Penner is going to get a much higher stock value on our roster. He’s signed at a reasonable price for another year, and compared to Hemsky, I think we still have a pretty good chance of getting a lot out of him next year if we fail to make the playoffs, I wouldn’t be surprised if Penner had another year with less than 55pts. In ways I think a lot of the fanbase overvalued Penner, and we don’t win in this trade today but I think we’ll feel the value of this trade come next July.

I’ve had a bit more time to soak things in. I was initially liking this trade because of Teubert. While I knew he wasn’t their best d-prospect.. the scouting reports on him all sounded good. Basically, it sounds like we’d be getting a punishing d-man. Matt Greene comparisons seem reasonable. I even heard him referred to as a Bryan Marchment type. That comparison I can see too.

I was youtubin’ it up last night and found a video of him train-wrecking Jared Cowan in a Team Canada practice (I presume tryouts). Cowan crossed the blueline with his head down, and Teubert laid him out with a very unforgiving, and what would now be termed as illegal (head shot) hit. This kind of reminded me of old stories of “Mush”. He had a tough time drawing the line between teammates in practice and enemies in game situations. I’ve seen some silly fans (that I’m not even sure watched the Oilers at the time???) trash Marchment, but I loved the guy. If we get a similar player in return for Penner, I will be content. If the 1st round pick reveals a “gem”, I will be ecstatic.

But I will say, on the surface, the deal stinks like the Ryan Smyth trade right now (but without the pain and surprise of seeing a fan fave leave – even though Penner was a player I really liked).

Teubert is still a big unknown. His coach seemed to speak well of him, which was nice to hear. He also captained the Regina Pats.. the same Pats that Jordan Eberle played for. But you have to wonder why he’s been a healthy scratch a handful of times so far this year. We know the offense for this kid isn’t going to be there… which is probably another reason for his Matt Greene comparison.

He’s a high risk player, and I think the likelihood of this deal being akin to the Smyth deal is fairly high… the likelihood of us breaking even or coming out slightly above/below is about the same, and the likely of it being a big win is extremely low. So I do wonder why the deal was really even done.

But anyways.. here are some words from Lombardi made last year on Teubert that I found:

“[Teubert has] made a lot of progress, but he still has a lot to learn,” said Lombardi. “The whole thing about his physical game still has to be channelled in the right direction. You can’t play like the Flyers of the Seventies, so you have to channel that type of aggression. You can’t get away with just running around being physical.”

“I think we saw in the [Kings] rookie camp [tournament held in September 2009], I loved the fact that when you saw that guy run Hickey, he was in there,” said Lombardi. “Those are the type of things that, as that type of player, he’s got to do. But he’s got to pick his spots better.”

“Then, he’s got to get smarter with the puck,” added Lombardi. “Sometimes these guys try to add to their game too much, thinking they should be rushing pucks. Whoa. You were drafted to be that physical, make the first pass guy.”

“I think he had his ups and downs last year,” Lombardi noted. “The World Junior team wanted him because of that [toughness] element, just like why we drafted him. But he got a big wake-up call when we sent him to the [Ontario Reign of the] ECHL [late last year]. He wasn’t ready for [the AHL].”

Sounds like a bit of a reclamation project. High risk… medium reward. Could work out.. again.. I’ll reserve complete judgement until a few years from now when this has had time to really develop.

33. John says:

In all seriousness Racki, have you ever heard a coach say of a player who has just been traded; “Thanks God that bastard is gone! All he did was take stupid penalties & take up a valuable roster spot…” I haven’t anyway. I just realised today why I had so little faith in the scouts & management to trust & know what they are geting in Tuebert. Aren’t these the same folks who must have done their due diligence when they chose to aquire pos P.O.S.? Anyway, I really do hope Tuebert gets an honest shot to make the team next year.

34. mrgod2u says:

My take on it is that there must be “a Plan beyond Penner” for them to have done this deal. Whether that is looking at projected salaries and not seeing a place for him, or sights set on a UFA that will hold a big future block of salary. Maybe the LA pick will be a piece of a plan to trade up into a second pick in the top 4, with Penner gone there are 3 players in there that would benefit our team. I think we will see an interesting picture in the next Oil Change.

So, is there any chance that L.A. misses the playoffs? Pretty tight race there, even though they currently sit 6th, it’s only by a couple points.

I guess to some up my previous post, I look at it this way. Next July would we have the cap space to consider signing Penner for a three plus year deal probably around 5mil+? How much more can his stock value rise, and it wasn’t looking like we were pushing for the playoffs next season either. So there was a pretty good chance that Penner wouldn’t fit into the rebuild with a new contract unless he took a significant decrease on the payroll. Other teams apparently weren’t offering too much, at least compared to LA, so I think getting a prospect, even if he only pans out to be a Marchant or Greene + 1st round pic + 3rd round pic for Penner who probably would have been a UFA next season is a good deal in my eyes.

38. John says:

Racki: John: P.O.S., Foster, Fraser… all recent names where it would appear the research wasn’t all there. But who knows. As I’ve said before, I will not judge this trade until it’s had time to mature. It’s like trading a nice, ripe apple for 3 apple seeds. This isn’t a deal that we win or lose on right from the start. I can somewhat confidently say though that Teubert at max potential alone isn’t likely getting 100 cents to the dollar for Penner. So I’m really hoping this extra pick works out, because I’m tired of hearing people follow the Pronger trade… not looking forward to people following the Penner trade. But I also agree (and mentioned the same thing earlier) with MrGod2u… they can follow this trade up with some good off-season signings that will make us forget about Penner. The ball is in their court there. Fan patience is going to be necessary on this one, as this isn’t a deal that improves us today, but could really improve us in the long run if players/picks pan out.

Good post, sums things up pretty well I guess. Even though I’m trying to practice some patience now, I still feel a little pissey about the immediate return. I’ts not like I was expecting to get Schenn, Seabrook, etc for Penner but I was expecting a dance partner a little lower in the standings (for better picks), with a little more exciting prospects comming back. Oh well, if I can survive Gretzky & Smitty being traded, I can survive anything lol.

Jason Gregor and Ryan Rishaug did an interview with Colten Teubert’s former AHL coach. It gives a bit of insight into what we’re getting.

I’d prefer to pass the credit their way, rather than post it here.. so go check it out in their game day thread here, and comment over here about it if you like.

P.S. Zack… Marchment, not Marchant ;) Two completely different players.. I hope he doesn’t play D like Marchant! :P

40. John says:

After reading the Rishaug interview I was left furrowing my brow a little; seems the closest comparison to CT is Matt Greene? Thing is, we already had a Matt Greene! We all suffered watching him make stupid mistake after dumb penalty for a couple years then he finally started putting it all together, then when he finally showed signs of being a solid defenceman the Oil traded him. Now we have to go through that whole learning curve, shitshow again with a player that will essentially be about the same player we already had. I need to get some fresh air…

41. MetalOil says:

I think we have to give Teuburt a lil bit of leeway in regards to his development. Missing camp and and the first part of the season with a wrist injury down in Manchester is probably(hopefully) the main reason his stock has dropped this year, especially in his first pro year.

Theo Peckham went through the same sort of thing in his development missing Camp for the 2009-2010 season and some would say struggled mightily(some would say, I wouldn’t) but now look at him now, everyone loves him now!!!

Now Peckham and Teuburt seem to be fairly comparable in terms of what they do/could bring to the team and I would like the team to do is follow the Peckham model in development of this kid. This should include having Teuburt playing a couple of games for the Oil in this season’s last 10 games of the year, Giving him 10-20 games in the NHL the following season and then increasing his NHL Game action based on how productive his is from then on out.

Now if there is one thing this team needs more then anything (besides goaltending :) ) it is more Theo Peckham types. So in that regard I am happy to have another one of these types in the system.

P.S I want some more Theo Peckham types for the forward ranks to be added to the team in the next few years.

Also:
    Yes we took a risk in the Penner trade but I think it is a very calculated risk as our great scouts are sure to have seen Teuburt play a ton when he played for the Pats when we were scouting Eberle so we must have a good knowledge of what we are getting here. Because if there is anyone in the Oilers organization that I trust then it has to be the “Magnificent Baster”

John:

43. mrgod2u says:

Fighting Majors in the A are a different matter than in the big show as well. In that league there are guys that will never play in the big show unless they can make a name for themselves and you need guys that will stand up for your developing future stars. If he took those penalties for rag-dolling a wannabe Cooke from cheap-shotting a bluechip prospect, then it is a great penalty to take… just sayin’

If he plays big and mean, and keeps the front of the net clean, then he is something we need. Regardless of if he is worth a Penner.

Not to say we won’t miss Penner, but if the cap space gets us Brad Richards or some other top 6 it’ll be worth it.

I think Penner is going to flourish in LA, good luck to him too.

Ya either way I don’t think fight majors are bad penalties. just noting that 25 mins were for fights. both teams give up a player… no man advantage… no issue for me.

I am looking at it this way; Plante, in my opinion, should be on the roster next year in the same way Peckham was this year. Teubert takes Plante’s spot on the AHL club and hopefully does the same the next year or sooner. Both tough, big RHD’s that are not fun to play against. Pain? Sure. That’s always the way with new D men, but hopefully it’s what happens with these guys.

46. MetalOil says:

I read somewhere that Plante’s development has hit a snag lately. Not sure where I heard it but I remember it saying something like “Plante the Pylon”

47. MetalOil says:

Comment #5. It is from a Msg Board so take it is just one persons opinion.

Oh yah, I read up there a fair bit, and I know opinions of Plante aren’t so hot right now down there from at least a couple posters.

49. John says:

Racki: People like to lump players in with other NHLers because it’s easiest to relate to though. It’s not like Teubert IS Matt Greene. He’s a whole other body with a whole other mind. That said, I’d be willing to bet that he does take a lot of bad penalties, although I wouldn’t say 57 PIMs in 39 GP in Manchester is a huge concern when 25 of those PIMs are fighting majors. But yah, comparing a player to another is just an easy way for us to get an idea of what a player is like. Matt Greene is on the same team, so the comparison to him is pretty natural for that kind of hard-nosed d-man. What if people compared him to Regehr (aside for my hopeful wish)? What about Jason Smith? Or perhaps Theo Peckham? Bryan Marchment (which I’ve heard mentioned)?

I hear what you’re saying Racki, we do need to see what he evolves into it’s just frustrating when I see a guy work his way through our system (especially a defenceman), then get traded just when he starts to get good then we start all over again building up guys from almost scratch to acheive a similar style/ skill set that we already had. I guess it’s that whole grooming players for better teams thing that has exsisted in Edmonton. Hopefully that philosophy (or perceived philosophy anyway) is ending with this new management/ ownership regime. I too would be happy if CT evolved into a Regehr type :)

MetalOil: ^^^^ Okay I found it. http://www.okchockey.com/showthread.php?2138-Shawn-Belle-Traded-to-Colorado-AvalancheComment #5. It is from a Msg Board so take it is just one persons opinion.

Damn. Thanks for the link MO. Okay Teubert, no pressure….