Trade Deadline Awesomeness

By , February 27, 2011 9:38 pm
Trade deadline approaches.. FUCK YEAH!

Trade deadline approaches.. FUCK YEAH!

So, the Christmas day of the NHL approaches… the trade deadline. It’s Monday, February 28th @ 1:00PM MST. The days leading up to the deadline were actually quite excitement filled. TSN has a trade tracker page up here. I count 25 trades this month alone (26 now, as I type this.. as news just came in that Brad Boyes was dealt to Buffalo). Who even thought Erik Johnson, James Neal or Craig Anderson would be available? It’ll be interesting to see if this deadline finishes with a bang or fizzles out.

As for the Oilers, I don’t expect much at all. Foil contributor Zackman35 had a good comment today about the moves he could see the Oilers making, which inspired my list below…

Here are the players I could see teams having an interest in (that are “available”.. in order of interest):
Hemsky, Penner, Gagner, Cogliano, Smid, Vandermeer, Jones, Foster

Guys who I can see us actually moving:
Vandermeer, Cogliano, Smid

Guys I don’t want to see moved from the names above:
Hemsky/Penner/Gagner (unless the return is huge), Jones/Smid (again, unless its an offer we can’t refuse)

Other guys I would like to see moved / stuffed in deals for names above:
Strudwick, JFJ, Fraser, Gilbert

As for needs… the needs are obvious. We could use more draft picks, we could use a top line center with some size, and we can use some better defensemen – guys that can take care of business in their own end, but perhaps have some offensive ability. The key here is that if we trade our proven talent in the form of Hemsky, Penner, Cogs, etc. that we trade for a player with high potential and for picks.

Anyways, once the deal’s start flying, I’ll probably post the big deals in this thread here (i.e. I’ll edit the thread). Enjoy deadline day!
EDIT: Going to just post Oilers trades. One so far..

OILERS MOVES

Deal 1:
To EDM: Kevin Montgomery (D)
To COL: Shawn Belle (D)

Not a big deal… Mark Spector claims that Belle was “sulking in OKC” though, so this was just a move to rid the team of a bad apple, by the sounds of it.

The Pipeline Show also has a short write up on Montgomery.

Deal 2:
To EDM: Colton Teubert, LA’s 1st in 2011, and conditional pick in 2012 (not mentioned yet)
To LA: Dustin Penner

Teubert wasn’t the Kings best D prospect (that is Derek Forbort), but he fits a need.. he’s a big, shutdown d-man type. Read more here.

Here is the scouting report:
Assets – Is a nasty defenseman with loads of toughness. Owns a projectable frame and all-around upside. Can also score goals due to a good shot from the point.

Flaws – Must fill out his frame to fully develop into an all-around blue-liner at the highest level. Needs a bit more refining in the defensive zone.

Career Potential – Potential all-around blue-liner.

What do you think of the Penner trade today?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

171 Responses to “Trade Deadline Awesomeness”

Scarriere:
    I don’t like it at all. We’re one of the lowest scoring teams in the whole NHL and we trade our top scorer. To me, that’s a HUGE step backwards. These last few years have been tough, now I gotta look forward to more of the same.
    NOT COOL!

It definitely does suck losing one of our best scorers (him and Hall are currently tied). But I think there is potential for us to like this trade in the long term.

I personally already came to terms with the potential of next year being a dud. Penner not being here definitely makes that more likely. However there is still a lot of time between now and the start of the season for Tambellini to pick up another winger.

While I was pretty strong that we shouldn’t trade Penner, LW is definitely one of our strongest positions, before that trade.

And while we are actually the 4th worst team for scoring, we are also the 2nd worst for goals against. So it might seem a bit of a sideways move, but like M.O. said, I prefer the Oilers build from the back end up. Having a solid, reliable blue line will afford our talented players ability to do what they do best.

Next year it will be tough, unless we sign someone or trade for someone. I am kind of unsure what this means for Hemsky and Horcoff too. The new player has some big shoes to fill.

For me, I’m a far more patient fan than the average fan. Tambellini is taking the long, honest route to building a dynasty, and I like that. It is rough to lose such a quality player though.

2. oilinblood says:

Racki: Penner had a few awesome parting lines today.. my favorite:“I was playing ping pong with Horc. The news came at a good time because I was down and would have lost 50 bucks”

I am going to miss him.

Personally I am not all that impressed with the trade. From a kings stand point they have a meh pick in a meh draft and a prospect who didnt make the team for the last pairing RHD spot. They get a guy who has missed 4 games in 5 years who has a big body and is an easy 25+ Gs from either wing. That 1st is already in a terrible position for a draft loaded with 3-4 year projects on the front 9 and will be a worse pick as penner plays there. its basically a late second not a 1st and the 2nd is a 3rd.

I am kind of stunned people think the return was good when you likely have 23M in cap July 1st with ales and Penner still in the fold.
    Question though. I know as of July 1st 2011 you can begin negotiations on extensions that begin in July 1st 2012… can talks begin before that? If Tambi talked to Penner and his agent about how much it would cost to keep the massive body 30 g scorer…and it seemed too much than i guess it makes more sense but I think he lived up to his contract and these players are rare.

3. MetalOil says:

Remember that LA did trade 2 1st round picks(17th & 28th overalls) to select Teuburt with the 13th overall pick in 2008

5. oilinblood says:

Racki: Penner already stated that the two sides didn’t talk. If i recall correctly, they can negotiate early, although they can’t actually extend the contract until the final year of the contract (i.e. July 1st 2011 in this case). And OIB.. Teubert is 20, trying to make a team with a pretty solid D group, plus Derek Forbort in their prospect pool. I don’t think it’s such a shock that he’s in the AHL right now. You know as well as anyone the development path for most D-men is quite long. I wouldn’t expect a 20 year old Teubert to be jumping right in the lineup without earning his stripes in the AHL for some time.

I am certainly aware of that (concerning Teubert). I am stunned that all we got for a 30 g scorer, big body, misses no games in 5 years except for 4 healthy scratches under mac T, can play either wing, gets 4M, … we get a 1st pick which will get a typical 2nd to 3rd round pick talent in this draft, and i love my RHD’s but jeeze. I would have told LA good luck missing the playoffs or getting hammered in the first round and ill talk to them MAYBE on draft day.

6. MetalOil says:

Actually if you trace the picks that were traded by LA to the Ducks for that 13 pick you ironically find that the first rounder that Edmonton gave to the Ducks as compensation for the Dustin Penner offer sheet was involved. It gets a bit tricky to fully understand as there was a lot of 1st rounders being flipped in that 2008 draft.

confusing but here is a bit of detective work on this:

12th overall pick:
    Originally the Oilers pick > Ducks take this pick from Oilers as compensation in Penner offer sheet. > Ducks trade pick to Kings for 17th overall & 28th overall > Traded to Sabers for 13th overall & 2009 74th overall and select Tyler Myers.

13th overall pick: Aquired by Kings from Sabers for 12th overall pick(Tyler Myers) and 2009 74th overall.

Wow. I’m underwheled. Meh trade.

Damn edit button. Had this been Forbert, I’d be much more impressed.

9. oilinblood says:

chucker: Wow. I’m underwheled. Meh trade.Teubert? Really? A guy who’s been in the Kings org. for two years and is pretty boring. Nasty though, I guess that’s good, but I’m finding it really hard to see Teubert as any better than Belle at this point. First rounder is good and possibly a 2nd, for sure a 3rd.I’ll be honest. Not liking this trade at all. I think they should have insisted on Simmonds with those same draft picks. I know we need help on D and Teubert could turn out to be that big nasty D man we want/covet, but right now, he looks like he’s not a homerun player. Only 15 players had more goals thatn Penner last year. I would have thought that would get you more than Teubert plus the picks.Another guy they should have insisted on is Bernier. L.A. has tonnes of goalies. They are fine in goal for a long time. I doubt they would have gotten the same draft picks, but for sure the 1st rounder. The other thing is this is an intraconference trade. I hate those so you better overpay (looking at you Lowe….). This trade comes with a huge question mark and that is Colton Teubert. I’m not sure he’s progressed the way he has expected to. I give this one to Lombardi for now, but with the knowledge that Teubert plus picks could turn it in our favour if they develop the way they should. On the other hand, we gave up a 1st, 2nd and 3rd for Penner, now we effectively get back two firsts and a second or third. Even from that POV.

A 30 goal scorer for 3 prayers.

10. oilinblood says:

chucker: Damn edit button. Had this been Forbert, I’d be much more impressed.

yeah whats with the edit? i much rely on that damned thing working…

oilinblood: Colton is better than BElle based solely on his right shot. I like a balanced d so that is the only upside of this aquisition in my mind. 30 goal scorer on a crap team who plays either wing and is never injured. hmmm. We got fleeced imo.A 30 goal scorer for 3 prayers.

Yeah, we’re not really getting anything proven here. Just more “potential”. That’s why I suggested I’d have been more comfortable with Simmonds plus picks or Bernier plus picks or a higher end prospect like Forbert.

I really liked Teubert at the WJC’s when he played, but I’m really undecided whether or not this was a panic trade or a trade that seems poor but will pay off later.

It’s obvious it’s a “present for future” trade, but I have a hard time removing a big body in the roster without a proven replacement. I think Simmonds would have been a guy to plug in nicely, though it’s rumoured he was not on the table.

It could be it turns out great, but this all depends on the drafting and Teubert’s development. Dude seems like another Plante to me, which I like, but still unproven at the NHL level.

TSN guys seem to think we stole that trade, caveat, MacT is one of those guys….

Oh btw, I’m 100% with Chucker that Tambi should have squeezed Simmonds out of Lombardi, even if he had to give up another lesser player in the deal or given up one or both picks. I’m sure he did try a variety of things though.

Also, I wonder what the asking price on Zack Bogosian was.

Yeah, it’s definitely a trade of an established player for futures basically. The one comfort is that our AHL team is proving already it can properly develop guys. I would guess Teubert goes there but who knows?

As for the drafting, agreed on Stu’s ability to give us good drafting choices.

I guess if you look at the Neal and Niskannen trade for Goligoski, we likely did fairly well in terms of top picks/prospects. Different style of trade, but likely even for where the Oilers are at in terms of comparability. It’s too early for me to digest this fully.

Like you said, it’ll take some time to see how we did on this one, which is asking a hockey fan to be even more patient, and well, we know what that’s like. :P

PENNER AND LEHTONEN HAVE NOW BEEN TRADED TO THE WILD FOR ANTON KHUDOBIN!!!

Ok, so it was Jeff Penner, and Mikko Lehtonen ;)

chucker:
    Yeah, it’s definitely a trade of an established player for futures basically.The one comfort is that our AHL team is proving already it can properly develop guys.I would guess Teubert goes there but who knows?

As for the drafting, agreed on Stu’s ability to give us good drafting choices.

I guess if you look at the Neal and Niskannen trade for Goligoski, we likely did fairly well in terms of top picks/prospects. Different style of trade, but likely even for where the Oilers are at in terms of comparability.It’s too early for me to digest this fully.

That’s the thing… this trade is all about patience. On the outside, it looks like we were ripped off.. but this isn’t a simple trade like that. It’s one where we need to digest it for a few years ;) Much like when Penner was signed here… we didn’t see the fruits of that signing until, what, year 3?

I’m still curious though, like I said, what Renney’s options are now.. I guess this bodes very well for Jones, no? He jumps up the depth chart, I would figure.

Hall Cogliano Eberle
    Jones Horcoff Hemsky
    Paajarvi Gagner Omark
    MacIntyre/JFJ Brule Reddox

For the moment.. yes.. awful.. but again, I’ll throw out that patience word. We’re not ready to compete yet. Perhaps Jones and Paajarvi or Omark swap spots.

18. MetalOil says:

With all our Cap space we have now maybe we should offer sheet Stamkos and Weber :)

LOL we could.. boy would we ever be the scourge of the hockey world though!

20. MetalOil says:

^^^ With that said we will not be in the same situation as the Blackhawks and have to dissemble our team right when it peaks.

21. MetalOil says:

I think Tamby’s rebuild plan is not too get the Oilers in a playoff spot for a 5 year window then dismantle and start again. I think he wants to build us up to a contender and then keep us as one for years to come. With the state of the team being as it was when he got here I think that will be a monumental task and will take a great deal of patience from us fans.

MetalOil:

Yah that’s the thing… I think a lot of Oil fans will immediately hate this deal because most can’t see the big picture. That said… I fully admit that it still has potential to be a dud of Pronger-trade proportions.

23. oilinblood says:

chucker: TSN guys seem to think we stole that trade, caveat, MacT is one of those guys….

Interesting that TSN has two different panels. One with macT, made up of hacks, says the oilers did well. The other made of hockey experts who make aliving of watching deals over decades says ‘what was edmonton thinking? this has to be a cap dump’. A cap dump when you will have 23-25M in cap space standing pat to july 1st.
    argh

24. MetalOil says:

Maybe all the cap dollars we are not spending can go towards the new arena :) That or we are gonna be very aggressive in the summer on FA’s and in trades.

Here is how I see our depth chart.. did I miss anyone?

Left wing: Hall, Paajarvi
    Key players in the system: Hamilton, Hartikainen
    Right wing: Hemsky, Eberle
    Key players in the system: Rajala
    Either wing: Omark, Jones
    Center: Gagner, Horcoff, Cogliano, Brule, Reddox, Fraser
    Key players in the system: Pitlick, Lander, Martindale, O’Marra

LHD: Whitney, Peckham, Smid, Vandermeer, Strudwick
    Key players in the system: Marincin, Chorney
    RHD: Gilbert, Foster
    Key players in the system: Petry, Teubert, Plante

Goal: Dubnyk, Khabibulin, Deslauriers
    Key players in the system: Roy, Bunz

Quick analysis… looks like we’re week as shit in goal, as expected. Also the RW isn’t exactly deep.. which was one reason I wasn’t anxious to see Hemsky go… although Jones and Omark can play the right side, as can several other centermen.

But I see we’re also very week on the RHD. So that helps solidify that position. I think LW was one of our strongest positions, if not the strongest position on the team. So while I hate seeing Penner go, at least they dealt from a position of strength. And yes, we gave up size… but Penner doesn’t play with small players very often anyways.. aside from Gagner, on occasion. Anyways, I can see this being followed for a while like the Pronger deal… people tracing the draft picks.. and then the teams they are potentially traded to and such. But I just hope the outcome will be better in our favor.

27. oilinblood says:

Racki: I think that for this one I just have to give it time. Right now it seems on par with the Chris Pronger deal. Intra-conference… we gave up the best player in the deal (as of today’s standards). But who knows.. things could change. Really I don’t think we can judge this trade at all, because it was 100% about taking a solid player and converting it into 1 player with potential to be a workhorse on the blueline.. perhaps with comparison to a Robyn Regehr…, as well as a couple kicks at the cat from Stu MacGregor (or Magnificent Bastard Stu, as he’s affectionately known in the Oilogosphere). In every draft there are hidden gems.. if Stu can uncover those, this might be one where we’re looking back and saying “wow”. Anyways, what a funny story Dustin Penner is, no? When he was signed here, I think I was one of a very small few people that were happy about it (admittedly, I’m generally optimistic about most acquisitions though). He’s had his ups and downs… there was a point where people would have given him away for nothing, thinking he had negative value. Now he’s a coveted player in the NHL. I’m happy for him and hope he plays well in Los Angeles.

I was very happy to get Penner, especially since i felt from the start that Lupul was a garbage player and that Penner was the type of player some were saying lupul was supposed to be. I had made a video of Lupuls goals and put it on youtube and OMB and basically pointed out how soft he was and when we looked at penner i made a video about him and how his goals were actually made with the kind of strength and effort we needed.

I wanted him traded in summer 09 (but didnt want heatley) but only because i felt things had gotten so bad for him that it might be detrimental to him to stay.
    Meh, he will love LA but i heard he loved it here too. SUCKS!!!!!!!

From Dan Tencer:

Tambellini: “Stu MacGregor is an excited man now. He knows he has options now.” Talked about having enough picks to make package trades.

Again.. I’ll just bring up, that this trade also could have a follow up to it come July 1st and beyond. We’ll see.

30. oilinblood says:

Racki: As for the cap dump business.. in 2 or 3 years, it will be necessary to free up the cap. Lots of players that should expect big raises. Although I’m not justifying the “cap dump” mentality of Tambellini, if that’s what he’s thinking.. just saying that this is probably why the TSN guys mentioned that might be why the Oil did it. On the surface, this trade doesn’t look good. But be patient Oil fans, because we can’t really tell how good or bad this deal is until a few years from now. That said though, I kind of wish though that we did target some lower risk prospects.Maybe they don’t see this team having potential to contend until Khabibulin is gone. haha

Rack. I cant really see any reason for this deal. And why now? This deal is a loss for us even if; Colton achieves his ceiling as a no-offenc, easily to replace 5th dman and with the knowledge that a good scout staff doesnt need the picks they will find the gem at any position (detroit). Its a loss for us before you even take into account that making a move now means nothing to us but everything to LA. This trade at the draft would have made me just as mad yet LA right now could lose their entire season> This was charity and thats lame. the nhl is not charity. A 30 goal scorerfor some throw away and a pick in a crap draft when Stu should already know the gems he is going to select regardless of position from all those half decade projects this draft is chock full of.
    END RANT THIS SUCKS. Just like the CP trade it will be a true player for …organizational depth, not just today but the same in 3 years…thats if we remember their names at all.

31. John says:

I’m not very happy with what we got for Penns. For those in the biz who say Tuebert is wonderful, I’ve heard just as many rumblings that Tuebert is possibly not even full time NHL material nevermind not a bluechip D prospect this team desperately needs. Top developing defenceman are worth their weight in gold so why is LA so willing to give up on him now?If that deal was done with Florida, NYI, Ottawa, etc, I would be much happier with those 1st & 2nd picks. As always is the case time will tell but I feel that Lombardi fucked us you know where again :(

32. oilinblood says:

Racki: Hey one thing that seems like no one is talking about… Theo Peckham turns RFA this year… what kind of contract should we look at giving him?? I suspect he’ll get a significant raise from his $0.55M… at bear minimum, Smid money.

way to change the subject. me so furious.

Thats the only thing i like about this trade. Colton might look good with Pecks. Plante done with the oil?

I dont expect anything from this trade but more feeling like we are an ahl team feeding the nhl teams. Go TAMBS!!

33. MetalOil says:

I think Peckham should get $5.5M over 3 years.

Principe says that Tambellini is working on a deal for Jones. good to hear.

OIB: Not all “gems” are found in the deep depths of the draft. I’m talking about Mike Richards / Ryan Getzlaf / Mike Green / Zack Parise type gems. They happen every year. I will just re-iterate the Montreal Canadiens of 70s/80s shotgun-blast drafting method of scooping up shit loads of 1st rounders and praying 1 or 2 pan out (which often they did).

I definitely like acquiring LA’s first, although I too have doubts on Teubert. Time will tell there.. and like I said, it’s tough because he wasn’t even the Kings top D prospect.

And MO, I think I’d be happy with that deal for Peckham. 3 years would be a decent length I think too.. expires the year after Hall/Pajaarvi/Eberle to give a bit of breathing room.

36. oilinblood says:

you cant tell me we couldnt have gotten this return at the draft so why did we do this now? We just helped LA without any advantage for ourselves.

It’s kind of too bad actually that the Oilers didn’t jump on a trade for Blake Wheeler. If we could have put together a good deal that didn’t involve Penner/Hemsky, that would have made the Penner trade more acceptable. I think we could have matched what the Thrashers gave up, no?

oilinblood:

But yah, I don’t see why it couldn’t be done later I suppose.

39. oilinblood says:

Racki: What advantage would there be to keep Penner around for the rest of the season? The season is a write-off.But yah, I don’t see why it couldn’t be done later I suppose.

40. oilinblood says:

Penner also wanted to stay here and was quite clear about that. I hate the fact that we let a good guy go for such dismal return when there was really no reason to. Just because Hall and Magnus are doing ok as rookies doesnt make it ok to do this deal. Penner could play either wing has over 25 goals in a season on both wings and is a mammoth on a good contract looking to stay in edmonton of all places.

I honestly would have been happier keeping Penner even if it was for secondary scoring with Hall moving up… and letting Pens walk for free after another season together rather than trade him to a conference enemy for “the mistake” and a weak draft late 1st.

Racki: Principe says that Tambellini is working on a deal for Jones. good to hear.

Yeah, I saw his twat.

oilinblood: Its more about LA prospering from a trade now and not us. I dont like that…ESPECIALLY when the trade is in our conference. Like WTF. Tell me why are we helping other teams. Oh yeah one of the sportsnet guys called Colton Lombardis mistake as far as draft pick, a guy Lombardi desperately wanted out. Yay.

44. Scarriere says:

I’ve had a dark cloud over me all day now. When I saw the trade come up on Sportsnet I was freaking out. My daughter came out of her room after and asked me if I was okay. I’m a lil better,but gotta get over it. It’s nice to see you guys trying to be positive about this. Especially Racki.
    Thanks Dudes.

chucker: Jones tweeted “I thought Joey Moss was going to cry when he found out. Penner really looked after him. etc. etc.” (I’m paraphrasing because I’m lazy.

Joey’s had it tough – Sparky and the rest of the training staff let go over the summer, Penner now, coaching staff the summer before, probably a few other players over the past few years that were his fav’s. This team has seen a lot come and go over the past few years. HL and I were looking at the roster since the cup run a few GDT’s ago and only Horcoff & Hemsky remain. And Joey.

SO lost in this… Richard Petiot has been recalled by the Oil.

47. oilinblood says:

Yeah Penner said Joey told him he “could keep the belt”. .. whatever “the belt” is
    Honestly from the rumblings it sounds like the oilers were pretty down that hes leaving. Not that its surprising. I hate that Gene and others keep harping that penner is still a whipping boy. That was 2 years ago.
    Teams are always looking for secondary scoring. if hall came to carry this team Penner would have just slipped to that secondary sscoring big body eevery team covets. I would have kept him.

49. oilinblood says:

Racki: Yah, I’ll say I’m a little nervous on Teubert, as I’ve read some stuff on him. Although JW at Oilersnation mentioned he’s been compared in the past to a Bryan Marchment type. Destructive temper. But he’s also a leader-type. Really for me, I think the 1st round pick is a higher selling point. But a 20th overall pick on it’s own doesn’t sound too spectacular. Hopefully we can flip it and move up. As far as us allowing LA to prosper.. I really couldn’t care about that… we’re out of the playoffs. Does it make a difference? Not at all. That said, I can see there is a LOT of question about whether we got the most for Penner. Again.. time will tell.

LA prospering makes a difference to me…because it means value. If a GM cant see that than he shouldnt be in that position. I wont battle about it anymore because its done and this crap draft has another pick which likely will end up being in the 24-25 range.

Guy can play either wing, score 30 from both, play 3rd 2nd 1st lines with anyone, good in room, loved edmonton, good quote to boot, and when a true cheap shot is made and hes on the ice he grabs the person throws them in the air with one hand and punches them with the other so they go on IR with a concussion for 2 weeks.

lets throw him away for Deans “mistake” and a 25th pick in the crappiest draft of the decade.

50. oilinblood says:

LateNightOilFan: We pretty much knew it was either Penner or Hemmer going at the deadline. A couple weeks ago non-Oiler fans were laughing at me when I said we wouldn’t take less than a 1st rounder for either of them. Tambi gets a 1st rounder ++. I will miss Penner, and I’m glad he’s leaving on good terms with the fans after all the crap he took just a couple seasons ago when fans were trying to get rid of him and his contract for a bag of pucks, not to mention everything else that was being said about him and reportedly hurled at him.He got married over the summer to Zednik’s ex/actress Jessica Welch who reportedly lives in LA, I’m not so sure he would have stuck around Edmonton as a UFA. So from that perspective, we could have lost him for nothing if he walked in a little over a year, or only receive rental return for him next trade deadline.Tough decisions, but I’m really not upset about this return. I don’t think he would have been staying. I’ll miss him and wish him luck in the playoffs. Looking forward to seeing him in the playoffs, actually.

Actually she and their child were here in edmonton full time. she only stayed at their cali house on business/summers .