Trade Deadline Awesomeness

By , February 27, 2011 9:38 pm
Trade deadline approaches.. FUCK YEAH!

Trade deadline approaches.. FUCK YEAH!

So, the Christmas day of the NHL approaches… the trade deadline. It’s Monday, February 28th @ 1:00PM MST. The days leading up to the deadline were actually quite excitement filled. TSN has a trade tracker page up here. I count 25 trades this month alone (26 now, as I type this.. as news just came in that Brad Boyes was dealt to Buffalo). Who even thought Erik Johnson, James Neal or Craig Anderson would be available? It’ll be interesting to see if this deadline finishes with a bang or fizzles out.

As for the Oilers, I don’t expect much at all. Foil contributor Zackman35 had a good comment today about the moves he could see the Oilers making, which inspired my list below…

Here are the players I could see teams having an interest in (that are “available”.. in order of interest):
Hemsky, Penner, Gagner, Cogliano, Smid, Vandermeer, Jones, Foster

Guys who I can see us actually moving:
Vandermeer, Cogliano, Smid

Guys I don’t want to see moved from the names above:
Hemsky/Penner/Gagner (unless the return is huge), Jones/Smid (again, unless its an offer we can’t refuse)

Other guys I would like to see moved / stuffed in deals for names above:
Strudwick, JFJ, Fraser, Gilbert

As for needs… the needs are obvious. We could use more draft picks, we could use a top line center with some size, and we can use some better defensemen – guys that can take care of business in their own end, but perhaps have some offensive ability. The key here is that if we trade our proven talent in the form of Hemsky, Penner, Cogs, etc. that we trade for a player with high potential and for picks.

Anyways, once the deal’s start flying, I’ll probably post the big deals in this thread here (i.e. I’ll edit the thread). Enjoy deadline day!
EDIT: Going to just post Oilers trades. One so far..

OILERS MOVES

Deal 1:
To EDM: Kevin Montgomery (D)
To COL: Shawn Belle (D)

Not a big deal… Mark Spector claims that Belle was “sulking in OKC” though, so this was just a move to rid the team of a bad apple, by the sounds of it.

The Pipeline Show also has a short write up on Montgomery.

Deal 2:
To EDM: Colton Teubert, LA’s 1st in 2011, and conditional pick in 2012 (not mentioned yet)
To LA: Dustin Penner

Teubert wasn’t the Kings best D prospect (that is Derek Forbort), but he fits a need.. he’s a big, shutdown d-man type. Read more here.

Here is the scouting report:
Assets – Is a nasty defenseman with loads of toughness. Owns a projectable frame and all-around upside. Can also score goals due to a good shot from the point.

Flaws – Must fill out his frame to fully develop into an all-around blue-liner at the highest level. Needs a bit more refining in the defensive zone.

Career Potential – Potential all-around blue-liner.

What do you think of the Penner trade today?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

171 Responses to “Trade Deadline Awesomeness”

Blues have just traded Brad Boyes to Buffalo for a 2nd round pick in 2011

http://graphjam.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/cec566ca-b5bb-496a-b49d-c0b161bcd1f3.png ….in honour of Chuck Norris.

Yeah, I’ll be spending Monday morning at the office instead of my planned day off to watch TSN, Sportsnet and surf for trade stuff. Lots of last minute contributions comming in. Peeps have the cashola this year and it’s good!

I pretty much agree with what everyone’s saying. (surprise) There’s no real urgency to move anyone and that suits me fine. I do like the desperation many other GMs might bring to our doorstep though. Should be interesting none the less. I fully expect Vandermeer to be gone and Foster as well. After than, maybe one of Brule or Cogs, but I doubt it.

Wideman to the Caps for Jake Hauswirth and a 3rd. And Jimmy Howard is apparently on the verge of an extension with Detroit for 2 years @ $2.25M, per Bob McKenzie.

Also reports on twitterland are that Konopka has been traded to the Ducks for a pick.. but that’s not finalized yet.

Nashville is apparently quite interested in Smid. Ryan Ellis is also available. Now obviously it wouldn’t be a 1 for 1 swap.. but that might make losing Smid easier to handle.

Jim Matheson figures that Jones will be traded today. Boooooo.

6. MetalOil says:

Penner rumors also picking up. Booooo

7. Ktown says:

Quote from the movie Mystery, Alaska: “every team needs a thumper”…

Boo to the possibility of trading Jonesy…

8. MetalOil says:

All that I have to say is that if Penner gets moved their better be some size coming back.

9. MetalOil says:

Maybe we can trade Jones and sign him in the summer. He seems to like it here!!!

Fourth Period says Habs and Predators pressing hard for Penner. Not sure that the Habs have what we need for Penner, aside for maybe on the blueline.

Jackets and Yotes make a deal: Klesla for Upshall/Lepisto

12. MetalOil says:

Racki:

They defiantly don’t have the size that I would want coming back. I guess that is why the Habs want him

The Preds may be able to give us a decent return. Maybe we can pry Ellis from them. I think Hemmer is out of play now. His strong play of late has maybe given us 2nd thoughts about moving him as he is still young and can still be a key component to our team when we start being contenders.

13. Ktown says:

I’m thinking it was Schenn or bust as far as a Hemsky trade was concerned, and I’m ok with that.

If we get him, good. If we keep Hemmer, I’m ok with that too.

The Predators’ top D prospect isn’t even Ryan Ellis (and I’m sure a lot of that has to do with his size).. so if we’re looking for a D, Jonathan Blum sounds like the guy to pry from there, as well as a pick. I don’t think I’d like it though. I’m pretty opposed to moving Penner unless we have another deal for size lined up.

15. MetalOil says:

Racki:

Ya I saw that Blum scored his first NHL goal last night.

I would actually be interested to see if we could pry both of these dmen from the Preds. Maybe for Penner & Smid going the preds way???

16. MetalOil says:

^^^^ I would be a high risk move on our part though as none of those players are NHL proven so I would want some picks included.

17. MetalOil says:

Shawn Bell to Colorado. Kevin Montgomery headed to Oil Country.

Hall and Ellis re-united on the PP? ;)

Add Dane Byers to the Coyotes receiving end on that Klesla deal.

19. MetalOil says:

Correction headed to OKC. 4th rounder 110th overall in 2006 not much more info on him but he was a productive member of the London Nights in 2007-2008 netting nine goals and 43 points in 63 games, all career-high numbers for Montgomery; his 95 penalty minutes was another high for the D-man.

Talent Analysis (from Hockeysfutures http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/kevin_montgomery )

Montgomery plays an offensive style of play, using his quick skating for mobility. Montgomery is a defensively sound player despite his offensive play. He has great hockey smarts and knows exactly when to make a crisp pass and when to use his stick handling skills to go end to end. Montgomery does not play the most physical game you’ll find but he knows his best assets are his skating and stick handling so he uses them to their fullest whether it be in the defensive zone taking the puck away from the opposition or whether it be at the point on the powerply. Montgomery gives his all every game. He plays a similar style to that of the Toronto Maple Leafs’ Tomas Kaberle.

Sounds like a fair deal with us only giving up Bell!!!

Mark Spector says the word on Shawn Belle was that he was “sulking” in OKC.

BTW.. are talent analysis (analysees? what the hell is the plural of analysis) not absolutely hilariously ridiculous? “He plays a similar style to that of the Toronto Maple Leafs’ Tomas Kaberle.” …. except he isn’t a #1 defenseman on most teams in the NHL, can score 50+ points, and play mid-20s minutes.

21. MetalOil says:

I am hearing that Penner to the Habs for Jarred Tinordi and 1st rounder.

22. MetalOil says:

Fewf NVM that was the fake Pierre LeBrun twitter account!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If he plays like his father, I’d be happy with that.. although I’m a little meh to the idea right now.. but the 1st also helps. Come on Habs.. tank! :P

MetalOil:

How are you even following a fake Pierre LeBrun?! lol

25. MetalOil says:

Got confused there. It was a retweet of a fake Kyper account from Lebrun’s real account LOL.

Penner to LA for Teubert and 1st + another pick

According to Oilers Tom Gozolla, that’s legit.

27. MetalOil says:

Penner to Kings for Tueburt, 1st rounder in 2011 and conditional pick in 2012. Thats actually a good deal and a legit one :)

28. mrgod2u says:

Wonder what the condition is and how high the pick is…

I have updated the post above to link to Hockeys Future write up and his scouting report. Sounds like Teubert is a good pick up. I do like the deal, even though we lose a big forward. The picks are nice too. I wonder what the condition on the 2012 pick is, and what kind of pick it is.

Now the Oilers need to keep Hemsky. This also makes Smid expendable.

30. MetalOil says:

31. DropIt says:

Edmonton did very well here. essentially a mid 1st round in teubert, a late 1st round and potentially a 2nd rounder for Penner… plus the cap space.

Payback for the Gretzky trade i think

Corey Graham had a good comment…

We gave up a 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd to sign Penner…

My own comment… Penner is built like a house.. Tambellini flipped him like one. Well done.

33. DropIt says:

MetalOil: It is ether a 2nd rounder or 3rd rounder for the 2012 pick. Not sure what the conditions are???

conditions are based on the LAK performance in the coming playoffs i believe

34. DropIt says:

Racki: Corey Graham had a good comment…We gave up a 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd to sign Penner…Trading him we got 2 1sts, and a 2nd or 3rd (hearing that is what the conditional pick is – 2nd or 3rd depending how far LA goes).

one of those first did turn out to be Tyler Myers though, so i would still say they came out even

35. MetalOil says:

So we filled the need for a big stay at home defender but opened up/add to the hole of toughness up front. I am okay with that because I believe in building a team from the back end and out.

36. NorwegianOiler says:

I am pleased with the balance of the trade, but it also implies a longer timeline for our resurgence than what I’d like. Teubert might contribute well next year, but we’ll miss a 30 goal scorer with a unique skill set on our roster. The picks are likely 3-5 years away from contributing on NHL level, and even then they’d be very green. Trade Hemsky now and we’ll be gutted for legitimate NHL talent and I can just foresee the dread of deciding to move Eberle/Pääjärvi or someone a few years from now because they “can’t carry the team on their own”. Still, balanced return, but I’d hoped we’d get more concrete value. A 20-25th overall could be another Cogliano, Schremp or Dubnyk, or another Eberle…

The LA Kings should be renamed to the LA Ex-Oilers, taking over the reins from Carolina who moved former Oiler to FLA.

I hope the Oil are talking to the Preds about Smid now though.

And yes, it does set the rebuild back. I was prepared for another bad year next year though. And well, I think Hall/Eberle compete at a pretty high level that amkes Penner unnoticeable SOME nights. But his size and his ability to play a good 2-way game and make linemates better… that will definitely be missed. Who are they going to pair with Hemsky now?

38. MetalOil says:

I also think this may open up a spot for 6 foot 1 Teemu Hartikainen to possibly earn a spot on the team next camp to compensate for the size we lost up front in the Penner deal. Hartikainen best asset is said to be a tremendous forcheck and that is something we could dearly use on the big club now. I originally had him pegged as a few years away but I think that just got potentially bumped up to next year.

If we now draft Larrson keep Peckham & with Teuburt’s arrival we could all of a sudden have a pretty mean D in a few years.

Gonna miss Penner alot but I endorse this deal.

Some Twats out there mentioning that Eberle and Teubert are former teammates in Regina, as well as World Jrs and u-18s.

Larsson and Teubert pairing, anyone? The rebuild may be set back, but that could be phenomenal years from now. Although I will note that both guys are RHDs (which makes me like Teubert even more).

40. NorwegianOiler says:

Big, good passer, good shooter, around 25 goals per season at 4.25M? I’d want that right now, just for reference. It’s instantly becomes a missing piece. Filling one hole by punching another? This trade may also affect Hemsky’s willingness to re-sign, in a worst case scenario.

In my opinion, Teubert does in no way make Smid expendable. We currently have very few NHL defencemen (as well…) and moving a young defensive talent in hope that an unproven (in the NHL) defenceman picks up the slack? I’d rather keep Smid and toss Foster, Vandermeer to make room – if that was the problem.

Smid-Teubert…? Sounds wonderful ;)

NO: Oh for sure, I’d move Foster/Vandy/Gilbert over Smid.. give me some credit here ;) But I’m just saying that if as you say, this dials the rebuild back a bit, it gives opportunity to perhaps try and swing a deal with the Preds for another D prospect, since they are interested in Smid. Smid’s been our 3rd pairing… sometimes 2nd pairing. Expendable is a bit strong a word, but I think what I see down the road IF we were to get Larsson would be:
    Larsson, Teubert, Peckham, Petry as a top 4…

But I do agree that moving Penner to fill the shutdown d-man hole is creating a hole to fill one. But I’d prefer the back-end holes filled up first anyways. Only thing is, as you noted, we don’t know for sure that we actually filled it. The extra 1st rounder + conditional pick are nice to have too though.

I don’t think it’s a bad deal at all, in the long run. While the size thing is a big nice-to-have, I’ll also mention that Penner plays with Horcoff and Hemsky, who aren’t exactly two players getting pushed around out there either. I would have rather seen them keep Penner, don’t get me wrong.. but it’s not catastrophic either, especially since we got a solid prospect and another 1st rounder. I like the deal for the long term.

Anyways, I am sad to see Penner go. I would have preferred Hemsky moving over Penner, to be honest, as I mentioned. But this team has two solid lines that can act as top sixes. I just wonder what this means for Hemsky now though. Who are they going to play him with? That limits Renney’s options.

For the short term, I’m disappointed.. but for the long term, I think this is great.

43. MetalOil says:

I was actually against a Penner deal because I had a feeling that the return would not be sufficient. The return we got today totaly blew my expectations away.

So here is something to ponder: Did Tamby used a hefty premium on a possible Hemsky return to from the Kings to increase the return on the Penner deal?

If that was his plan all along then Tamby may have to share Magnificent Bastard Stu Mcgregor nickname.

BTW I just read a twat saying that the condition for the pick in the Penner deal is: If Kings win the cup, it’s a 2nd.. otherwise its a 3rd rounder. So I’m just going to say now.. Penner for Teubert, 1st in 2011 and 3rd in 2012.

Gonna miss Pens, but that’s a nice return.

Think we’re done?

46. MetalOil says:

LateNightOilFan:
    Gonna miss Pens, but that’s a nice return.

Think we’re done?

TSN said we are officially done :)

From the Isles board – a Bridgeport Sound Tiger fan:

[quote name='OneTigerFan' date='Feb 28 2011, 04:21 PM' post='1006757']
    Hope the Oilers don’t mind that Teubert is short a few pints of blood. He sprayed them all over the ice in Bridgeport on Saturday night after Gallant beat the crap out of him. Took the guys with ice scrapers and shovels over five minutes just to get all of his blood cleaned up.
    [/quote]

Penner had a few awesome parting lines today.. my favorite:

“I was playing ping pong with Horc. The news came at a good time because I was down and would have lost 50 bucks”

49. Scarriere says:

I don’t like it at all. We’re one of the lowest scoring teams in the whole NHL and we trade our top scorer. To me, that’s a HUGE step backwards. These last few years have been tough, now I gotta look forward to more of the same.
    NOT COOL!

I’d say the Oilers deadline was a bit of a fizzle. As they say though, sometimes the deals you don’t make are better than deals you do make. Vandy has been great for us in the last 20-ish games, so if he sticks around another year, that could be good (if he keeps playing this way). Although I originally wanted to see him gone.. because he was playing awful hockey. Jones I was afraid would be traded… glad he wasn’t. I would have liked to have seen Foster moved.. and perhaps Cogliano, just for the sake of not seeing him at C and getting value for him while we still can. Also, would have liked to have seen Fraser gone too. And then the short list of overpaid, modestly skilled guys… would have loved to see them moved too, but oh well.