Steve Tambellini… bumbling idiot, or man with a plan?

By , February 15, 2011 10:30 am

Bumbling idiot, or man with a plan?

Bumbling idiot, or man with a plan?

The Oilers are en-route to their worst season record in Oilers history. The pressure is on from the media, and even fans, to secure that top pick. Tambellini recognized that and delivered a speech to the team yesterday in which he encouraged the players just to win and forget about the pressure on them to hang on to that potential #1 pick (lottery aside). I’ve given Tambellini my share of licks, but I also think that there is an unfounded opinion that the guy is a bumbling idiot. I’m going to play devil’s advocate here and just say that I personally think that the guy has a plan.

The tough thing for us to understand is that GMs have 3-5 year plans. They’re thinking way ahead, while most of us are thinking of just right now. Almost all of us want the team to win now and be in the playoffs now… and if it can’t be now “then it better be next year!”. Unfortunately these things really do take time.

It’s hard to visualize Tambellini’s plan. He’s made his mistakes (like signing Nikolai Khabibulin to a ridiculous contract for a 35+ player), but I think the right intention was definitely there. Kurtis Foster was brought in to help with our defensive woes, and turned out to be a dud. Ditto with Colin Fraser. He has also made some good moves, such as retaining Gagner, Cogliano and Brule with reasonable contracts (although their development seems to have tailed off), bringing in Ryan Jones, trading Lubomir Visnovsky for Ryan Whitney and re-inforcing our farm team immensely (who are currently holding down a playoff spot, BTW).

But really… what is the guy’s plan? Is it to gather up another draft pick? Or is it to create a winning team? Well, I think with this message he sent yesterday, it’s evident that he’s laying the bricks down for creating a winning culture. This team has been through hell and back the last four, going on five, seasons. We had some players here that were known to be bringing the team down mentally. On any given night there were a lot of “passengers”… guys that just didn’t give a shit. But credit where it’s due… just about every night this season we’ve seen these guys bust their asses, even though the results have been demoralizing. That appeared to change a bit recently.. especially in the last game, and Tambellini was warranted to call the team out. But anyways, it helped me realize a bit that his goal right now is just to create a good environment for these players.. one where they can develop their game and enjoy doing it. That’s been there most of the season and slipped for a bit.

As a fan, I’ve enjoyed watching the season because I just see it as a development year for the kids. I get tired when I hear people rant and rave about how big of a screw up Renney is, or Tambellini is. Just see this season in a different light.. it’s going to be bad.. but respect the players and coaches and general manager on the nights that the effort level is there, no matter what the results are. This team deserved to be booed the last game, but we’ll have to look past that and see how they handle things from here on out.

Tambellini does have work to do, and I am quite confident he realizes that. He doesn’t make any excuses about the bed that Lowe made for him. He did a fairly good job though of weeding out the players that didn’t want to be here. I think we will see the fruits of Tambellini’s labor a few years from now. Right now the masterpiece he’s attempting to create is just a near blank canvas with a couple of splotch marks on it. Give it time. It’s silly to criticize the guy too much right now (although that Khabi contract…) until we’ve seen the complete work. It’s a marathon, not a sprint…

BTW, today’s GDT is down below this post. Or just click here.

Tambellini is....

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

28 Responses to “Steve Tambellini… bumbling idiot, or man with a plan?”

I’m pretty sure I’m going to be alone in thinking that Tambellini isn’t complete “bumbling idiot”. :P

No “bumbling idiot with a plan” ? :P

One has to admit he that after the summer, he was looking very good. I don’t think there were to many more messes he could have cleaned up more efficiently, and if Khabbi had gone to jail, it look like he was poised to sign a guy like Niemi.

We all knew this year was a true development year and year one of culture shift. I like what I’ve seen so far and hope for a few smile worthy moves at the deadline.

I know he comes of as a bit of a tard in his interviews sometimes, but to me he’s been very patient and following a clear mandated plan that all in Oilers brass have bought into.

He gets a pass from me.

3. NorwegianOiler says:

Consider the possibility that he is a bumbling idiot with a plan…

To my eye, Tambellini hasn’t done much to deserve credit or praise. His message is clear enough, we’re rebuilding and building a culture from the bottom up, but his acqusitions haven’t really impressed. So, even if he has had a sound plan so far, it’s not materializing. I don’t mean we’re not looking better now than last season, we clearly are, but I can not credit Tambellini for drafting Hall or Pääjärvi in their respective drafts – they were no-brainers – as were a few other draftees as well. Ultimately, I figure it was inevitable that we’d have more zing this year anyway.

Fortunately, we have ample time still, but we won’t have forever. If Tambellini continues to make a poor decision for every good one, we won’t likely reach our ‘potential’ (somehow that word is getting annoying…:P).

My eight ball predicts: Hemsky for…Drew Stafford and more?

4. Ktown says:

I’d like to think there’s a legitimate plan in place, and that the team is following that plan, no matter the short term impact. I would say there’s a fair bit of courage and strength involved in holding true to your course, no matter the obstacles. Of course, that shouldn’t necessarily translate to blind faith in the face of impossible odds – I don’t believe the team is at this point.

I’m a believer in “the Plan” thus far – the goal was to be a playoff team by year 3, and a legitimate contender by year 5. I’m ok with that. Unfortunately, I have to admit, I’m starting to feel a little depressed by the season’s results. Not necessarily because I was expecting a winning season (I certainly wasn’t), but the consistent reign of losses is really starting to take a toll.

I can only wonder, if I – as a fan – am taking these losses a little hard lately, how are the players doing? At this point, I’m hoping they can ensure a positive atmosphere in that room, and make sure that the “mental malaise” we saw in previous incarnations of the Oilers doesn’t take hold as a culture.

Poor special teams (PP & PK), horrible faceoff percentages, skyrocketing GA, and mental lapses are just fodder for my crumbling sanity right now, and at this stage I’m really curious how we’ll manage to fix all that ails this team in order to become a competitive contender someday.

I can’t think of a single plan that involves Khabibulin…well I should say well thought out plan

Well we needed a goaltender.. Khabi “seemed” to fit the bill… that said though, the contract is up there as one of the worst ones that an Oilers GM has penned.

NorwegianOiler:
    Consider the possibility that he is a bumbling idiot with a plan…

My eight ball predicts: Hemsky for…Drew Stafford and more?

Not enough there to pat him on the back.. definitely… but I don’t think we’ve seen enough to shoot him down just yet either. The guy needs time to evaluate, you know! :P

8. MetalOil says:

Racki:

Especially since we could have kept Roli for about half the price and for half the years.

9. NorwegianOiler says:

Khabibulin was one among many available UFA netminders. I can not believe we had absolutely no chance to pick up a cheap veteran goalie like Biron, Garon or even retain Roloson. This should rightly be seen as second-guessing, but no part of the Khabibulin signing seemed sensible even at the time. The length, the money and the age of the goalie in question do not signify a rebuild at all.

Losses always hurt, although there are many silver linings this season, Tambellini’s moves in the trade/UFA market have been questionable. There are many redeeming points to be made about the recent signings, like Foster, who is obviously a stop-gap at a rather harmless deal. Nevertheless, should this organisation not be better at spotting talent and needs than Tambellini has shown yet? I appreciate Edmonton’s lack of desirability, but we ought to do better, even at this early stage. The Fraser deal will likely be of no consequence either, but I can still not understand why Brodziak was dealt (though we have prospects to show for it) when he clearly filled a need we would go out and acquire Fraser to remedy.

As for this season, I see no need to go out and acquire bits and pieces to fix our special teams or defensive needs in the short term – but any deal we do now must cater to areas of need. We may well wait if we can not find a good deal, instead of going all Brian Burke and shuffle in hope of finding something other than the usual 52 suspects in the deck.

So; Patience, but quality during the process.

11. NorwegianOiler says:

Racki: Hall wasn’t a no-brainer… I don’t think he deserves the lump of the credit on that though, our scouts do. We could have drafted by need and gone with Seguin over Hall though.. and I think we made the right choice there. It’s too early to tell, but I think there is a big difference between the two players, aside from position, even though scouts at the time said otherwise. As for Paajarvi.. well, I suppose I could argue that 9 GMs passed on him. But yah, not exactly spectacular drafting when most knew he was a good player. But again, I don’t think the GM has much involvement there anyways, so it’s kind of moot.As far as his acquisitions, I agree that they didn’t pan out. I think most people were pretty excited at the idea of Foster though.. so I consider him to be a dud, but not at fault of Tambellini. Jones worked out really well, so I think that was a plus. Whitney for Visnovsky also made him look really good as a dealer. Really the stinker was Khabibulin. Fraser also was a bad decision in my mind (and I’m sure yours) and I’m not sure why he didn’t go for a sure bet with a guy like Betts or Konopka. I know they did try for Malhotra though, and Malhotra turned us down. Also on the note of acquisitions, without a doubt, his farm team acquisitions have been a huge help in turning our farm team from a last place team into one competing for the conference (depsite being picked apart by the parent club).Really though, while I completely agree that there isn’t enough here to give him a pat on the back, I’m not saying we should be… I’m saying don’t crucify the guy just yet, as the plan is still unfolding. He did make an effort in addressing needs (although I don’t think the offensive defenseman was a need I was considering… stay-at-homer is what I felt we need) and definitely didn’t do it well. I’m still keeping an open mind though and think there’s a chance he can redeem himself. Not enough there to pat him on the back.. definitely… but I don’t think we’ve seen enough to shoot him down just yet either. The guy needs time to evaluate, you know!

Let us just say that the past few drafts have allowed us a few “can’t miss” picks – such as Hall/Seguin or Pääjärvi dropping into our laps. But, as you say, our scouts have much more to do with that than Tambellini. My point was that our ‘improvement’ this year is more due to the inevitable injection of youth than any visible plan on Tambellini’s hand. Most, if not all, GMs would have had to/wanted to go down the path he has begun.

We have a hard time knowing what players were approached and who rejected our offers, but Malhotra was obviously one. Who knows, maybe Tambellini picked up Fraser as a 9th option or something? In that case I’ll re-state another point of mine: Sometimes no deal is better than any deal.

I concur that Tamby has succeeded in finally giving us a quality AHL team, which can contribute immensely.

My problem with Tambellini, and it is not a case of crucifition, are the small signs that he is not a shrewd enough dealer in FAs or trades. With failed assessments of Khabi, Foster, Fraser recently, I can imagine he is even more ‘patient’ and deeper into ‘assessment mode’ now than ever. Jones, clearly, was a good pickup. Vandemeer is plugging a gap, though not at all well enough to be considered a success. I do think the Visnovsky deal was fair, but while we gained a quality player we also lost one. Diffuse circumstances surrounding Souray’s health and trade-value makes it hard to assess whether there could have been other, similar, deals available to Tamby at the time. Our blueline would have looked far better with someone like Lubo in there, and that’s not based on him being a quality person alone.

So: The team needs improvement, and so does Tambellini’s eye for trades and FA signings.

12. MetalOil says:

We will know a lot more about Tamby’s plan or possible lack of one by the end of the off season. Last summer was mainly about getting rid of the dead weight so I would like to see this off season as one where we start addressing the positional holes throughout the lineup.

Racki: Yah, btw.. I’m not defending the contract in the least. I did support the idea of signing Khabibulin though and I know many others did.. but at 4 years and $3.75M, that contract had fail written all over it, and everyone knew from the start. But it is what it is, and us Oil fans like to live in the past… it sucks, and he can’t keep making those kinds of mistakes, but it’s not something the team can’t recover from. I think that one is the noose around his neck that fans want to hang him with. We might be able to live with the team’s failures right now, but most people bring up the goaltending as his biggest blunder (and I definitely agree).

Yeah, I was all for signing Khabbi….to a one or two year at 2.5 million, which is what he said in the press was the most he expected. One would have thought we learned our lesson on goalies over 35 with Rolison.

Have no fear though, he’s in tonight and will be looking to stop his 14 game losing streak, so I’m pretty stoked. (need a sarcasm emote)

Really though, this summer and deadline need to be about guys who will fill needs and make the team better over the course of three to four years, not just plugs like Fraser who were acquired to get us through the season and nothing else. (I hope….)

We’ll get a good player at the draft regardless of how the rest of the year unfolds, but like NO said, we have to be looking at quality moves from now on that have more of an impact on results and also for a number of years. We don’t want another year of this win/loss record. If we do, we become Florida or NYI. Next year we have to be competative and moreso than this year. We’ve had a lot of one goal games. We’re not that far off from a few more wins. Signing the right guys will garner us a better record. It’s the ability to recognize these guys that still seems in question to me. Hopefully the pro scouts do their jobs and we get some guys who fit the bill.

NorwegianOiler:

So; Patience, but quality during the process.

On Khabi.. two things…

1) I think he was a guy that many people would have gunned for (again, I even admit thinking he’d be a good pick up, and I won’t bus throw another guy who was also hoping we’d sign him too.. :P .. they can admit that on their own in our group counseling session later).
    2) The contract was obviously bad.. so you won’t get any argument on that.

Point #2 pretty makes #1 an invalid argument, so I won’t really bother arguing it. As far as the goalies mentioned: most people were happy to see Garon go (I wasn’t one of them though) and also the same can be said for Roloson…. not many people would have defended a 2-year Roli deal. You’re using hindsight there, I think. As for Biron… well… he was one of my first choices. But I also know that a lot of folks here questioned that idea. I also will point out that the Oil must have some sort of hate-on for Biron, because this wasn’t the first time he was passed up on by us.

Anyways, the goaltending decision was obviously awful.. yes… but we’re stuck with Khabi.. kinda like we’re stuck with Horcoff. They can still turn that into a positive, like I believe they have with Horcoff.

Khabibulin could have been a good mentoring goaltender, but the 4 year term threw that whole concept out the window.. for sure. I don’t think anyone will argue that.

Anyways, I can’t presume he was starting the season with hopes of blowing another year, but if he was, he did a fine job of that. lol But on a serious note, I’ll wait patiently and see how he addresses team needs at the deadline and in July.

I have confessed my sins on Khabbi. Even in this discussion. I thought he’d be way better than what he’s shown. :(

NO: I am in agreement for the most part.. I won’t defend that Tambellini has made some bad acquisitions. I think Foster was a guy that people thought would be a lot better. Fraser, I really knew nothing about him.. and it’s pretty obvious that neither did Tambi/our scouts. Khabibulin.. I’m with Chucker.. I wanted him for 1 year at around $2-2.5M. Vandermeer, I think getting rid of O’Sullivan’s cap hit and getting a usable player in return.. well that was a good move. Vandy is just starting to play like the guy we expected. Actually, shortly before he got injured, he was looking pretty strong defensively.

But yah, he’s definitely made his mistakes, but I think they are things he can recover from.. with exception to the Khabibulin contract. That one is dead weight similar to Sheldon Souray. I can’t figure that Katz will want another big contract burned up in the minors.

As for Vis for Whitney… that was probably mostly a sideways move, although we did get younger and cheaper with that one, so I definitely approve there. Maybe we lost a little bit of skill level though, as Visnovsky is one hell of a d-man.

chucker:
    I have confessed my sins on Khabbi.Even in this discussion.I thought he’d be way better than what he’s shown.:(

LOL you aren’t alone.

18. Scarriere says:

And yes, the contract was insane.

19. Sean says:

I think your post is reasonable. Its easy to get frustrated and blame Renny for this and Tambellini for that when your losing. But its a development year and a #1 pick is the best thing for this franchise.

Scarriere: I thought at the time and still do, that Khabi was a sort of carrot to lure Heatly here. We all know the saga there. He hadn’t signed and we didn’t have a number one goalie. I thought FOR SURE that steve was trying to show Heatly that we DID have a number one and coming here wasn’t a bad idea. I could be wrong, but I know I was thinking that at the time.And yes, the contract was insane.

You aren’t the only one who thought that. In addition, the Heatley saga had pumped the fans up only to be let down by his first refusal the night before free agency started. Tambi and Lowe were in “big splash” mode that off-season. At that point they had been given the big soaking by Heatley and I think they wanted that big name goalie with a ring to appease the fans and lure Heatley to change his mind.

I would go so far as to say I think they may have been hoping for Khabi all along, even when they gave the 1-year offer to Roli. They knew he wanted 2 years and didn’t respond at all when Roli and his agent countered. That makes me think they made the “take it or leave it” offer to show some respect in the eyes of their fans for the season Roli had. I think they wanted Khabi all along, but the Heatley situation factored into them giving Khabi an offer he couldn’t refuse.

21. victoriaoilerfan says:

I have been traveling a lot in the last while so have not posted. One of the more interesting trips was to the WJC in Buffalo, but that is an old conversation.
    Has Tambi. a plan? Yes and it is very clear. Stay young, stay thrifty and stay away from big fat stupid long term contracts.
    Other than Khabby he has pretty much done that. Which is why I am not convinced Khabby was Tambi’s. work alone.
    He gets a pass from me. He shoveled out the barn with the likes of Staois and Pissani etc. Booted Souray and his mouth out. He made signings that have not always worked I.E. Foster and Fraser but again hasn’t tied the Oilers up with these guys for years and years like Lowe would have.
    He has left this team with flexibility which is the key to building good teams IMO.

22. Fudge says:

The fans here were vicious to Penner, and it ended up working out (although of course he was traded now.. but he won people over, and lots of fans hated to see him traded). I think there were times off and on that fans were “vicious” to Roli, but I think that’s being overly dramatic. I don’t think he had a bad attitude either.. he actually wanted to come back. In fact, he wanted to sign with us for 2 years… but the Oilers didn’t want that.. they wanted only 1 year. But thankfully, rather than risking 2 years on one of the healthiest players in the NHL, they decided to risk 4 with a player with known injury issues. Excellent.

I admit, I was on the Khabi train initially (before he was signed)… but as soon as he was signed for 4-years at $3.6M, I immediately wished they kept Roli instead (and I’m not just saying that now in hindsight.. that’s what I instantly felt when the signing was announced). I think most people would have rather had Roli for 2 years at a decent price, even if they were hard on him in the end. You knew what you got with Roli. Khabibulin was a big gamble.. signing a 35+ year old player for 4 years at that high a salary is awful management.

Fudge: There is no way we could have kept Roloson. The media and citizens in Edmonton were vicious to Roloson. There’s no doubt in my mind he had a bad attitude here late, but considering what he endured who could blame him.

Yeah, I’m not sold on Roloson being a great guy in the locker room those last few years. He was part of the Staios, Moreau and Pisani group and I think it was pretty obvioius they wanted him gone just for a change from a PR POV and also to make it look like they were trying to succeed. The PR worked great until everyone found out the cost of the contract Khabbi signed and the term, so like, three days. The upgrade, not so much.
    I don’t miss Roli in the slightest, but it’s hard to argue that he would have been a better tender, but then maybe we don’t get Hall etc.?

Yah I suppose on that note, in the long run, having Khabibulin will work out better for the team :P I can’t say that’s so much the case for next year or the year after though.

Racki: Yah I suppose on that note, in the long run, having Khabibulin will work out better for the team I can’t say that’s so much the case for next year or the year after though.And I didn’t hear anything about Roli being a bad influence in the locker room. Don’t know much on that. I will say though that I’ve heard that Khabibulin is very good in the room. Just he has stunk up the joint on the ice most nights, unfortunately. Here’s hoping he has that bounce-back year Renney is expecting him to..

I’m not saying Rolison was necessarilly a bad apple, I’m just saying he was part of that vet group that got cleaned out. With the complete lack of interest by the Oilers in signing him, I’m kind of reading between the lines in that they wanted him gone for one reason or another. I think he got lumped into the veteran purge as he was obviously very tight with the guys who we know were issues.

I just never got the impression from Rolison that he was a great team guy. I do get the impression he was a great me guy like lots of goalies are, but I can’t say for sure on that obviously as I’ve never met him. I know JDD liked him, but what else is he going to say really? I think on a veteran team he’s a great guy. I’m not sure he was at all happy here with all the rebuilding and being thrown to the wolves every night. That has to play on a guy’s attitude towards a situation so I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt. His interviews were always good and he was definitely a competitor. I am pretty sure he was quietly happy to move on from the Oilers. Can’t really blame him on that to be honest.

I was just never sold on Roloson. Amazing cup run for sure and that was awesome, but in my mind I just never saw him as anything other than a guy who was almost good enough to be a true no. 1. To each their own I guess. I’ve seen all the stats etc. on Roloson from the other side so I don’t want to beat a dead horse. I hope he gets a contract from Tampa for next season and does well.

As for Khabbi for the next two years, I agree. I would have been really excited to see his contract up this year despite the reports of him being a great team guy, the dude just sucks.

And again, apparently the reason Roli isn’t here is because he wanted 2-years whereas the Oilers weren’t willing to risk two years and wanted to only give him 1 year. Him asking for 2 years suggests that he wanted to be here. The Oilers offering one year.. well.. maybe you could read between the lines and say it was another veteran purge, but I don’t know about that. Not something I’ll speculate on though. Bottom line though.. Roli @ 2 years and ~$1.5M/yr is far superior to Khabi @ 4 years and $3.6M/yr. I’d have even taken Conklin at 2 years over that. lol Pretty much any goaltender at 2 years is a lot less painful than Khabi at 4 years. Bah.. I’ll stop complaining.. for now :P

Racki: FYI, I’ve never been a Roli fan per se either.. but just saying I definitely would have preferred Roli for 2 years (and likely a cheap salary) over Khabi at 4 years and $3.6M, even at the time the deal was done.And again, apparently the reason Roli isn’t here is because he wanted 2-years whereas the Oilers weren’t willing to risk two years and wanted to only give him 1 year. Him asking for 2 years suggests that he wanted to be here. The Oilers offering one year.. well.. maybe you could read between the lines and say it was another veteran purge, but I don’t know about that. Not something I’ll speculate on though. Bottom line though.. Roli @ 2 years and ~$1.5M/yr is far superior to Khabi @ 4 years and $3.6M/yr. I’d have even taken Conklin at 2 years over that. lol Pretty much any goaltender at 2 years is a lot less painful than Khabi at 4 years. Bah.. I’ll stop complaining.. for now

Yeah I think he had a term an number in mind and the Oilers new what it was an offered less to save face due to his popularity. I’m sure he would have stayed if they offered what he wanted, but they didn’t want him for two years as you said. Looking back, if you presume the team results remain the same, you should have kept Roli. i.e. Presuming that the guys we got due to finishing last would still be here if that makes sense.