Monday Morning Standings

By , February 8, 2011 12:45 pm

The lovely Shay Maria

Trying out some changes. This thing takes an hour or two to put together usually, and work gets pretty hectic so it ends up getting missed every now and then. So I will try something else. mainly, instead of having the NHL standings, there will just be a link to the NHL site and some comments about them. We will continue to have an update on the Barons, Oil Kings and the POTF pools. Plus any NHL news that I find interesting.

The Oilers won a fucking game! Holy shit! And Khabibulin wasn’t in net…go figure. We are still 30th though, although Ottawa is looking to make it interesting at the end. Rangers were apparently scouting the Hershey Bears (re: Souray) and according to Sportsnet dude, he’s too slow for the A. That’s not good for us. Also, apparently the Thrashers have been scouting our team for the past 3 games…although when you think about the fact that we are a terrible team in dead last and its only three weeks to the trade deadline that probably shouldn’t be too surprising. Oh, and Dubnyk got his first shutout. Congrats to him.

In other league news Stamkos hit 40; Savard broke his grape again (or got it broke); Kessel doesn’t really like his coach (I’d laugh if Burke tried to shop him around for 2 firsts and got a whole bunch of “Not a chance” responses); Crosby is out till March and now Malkin out for the season; Brent Johnson knocked the fuck out of DiPietro; Conroy was fired/forced retired in Calgary; and the Dallas/Boston game ruled (well at least the first few minutes).

Anyways, on to the standings:

Conference

Here
A few things jump out at me here. First is How amazing terrible the Oilers are compared to the rest of the west. Also, spots 14 thru 4 in the west are separated by 9 points. That’s crazy with only a little under 30 games left. The east doesn’t have the same craziness however spots 7th thru 9th should be a decent battle going to the end, with a chance that Buffalo or Florida make some noise too. The Devils are also 7-1-2 in the last 10! Calgary is too! Edmonton is 2-7-1 with only Ottawa being worse the past 10 games (0-8-2).

League

Here
The bottom of the east looks terrible (Oilers style terrible too). The 14th place team in the west is higher in the standings than the 10th place eastern team.

OKC Barons

Barons currently sit 7th in the conference, 1 point up on 8th and 3 up on 9th. That said, they are only 1 point out of 3rd but have played more games than most other teams.
Alexandre Giroux is second in scoring with 60 points in 53 games, and Moran is 8th with 47 in 53. McDonald is 3rd on the team with 33 in 53. Gerber is still the best goalie, but JDD seems to have closed the gap a bit and also brought his stats to a more respectable level.

Oil Kings/WHL

The Oil Kings are 6th in the conference, 4 points up on 8th and 7 points out of 5th. Surprisingly the Hitmen are dead last. Awesome.
No Oil Kings are in the top 20 of scoring and neither are any Oilers prospects (although the Nuge is 3rd). Hamilton and Pitlick are both in the top 40 though. Bunz is also the third best goalie in the W.

Pools

5 Layin Pipe 93-92-23
6 YDNAR 91-99-18
7 awesomeness 86-99-23
8 dawgtoy 89-105-14
9 d0nkey.punch(gr8one) 83-106-19
10 Metal Mulisha 77-101-30

10 Responses to “Monday Morning Standings”

Oh, and as per twitter, Renney might miss a game or two due to his fathers passing.

2. Scarriere says:

Nice update.
    I was so fricken happy when I heard the Rangers were kickin the tires. Then so choked when I read they weren’t impressed. :( Fairly obvious that other teams have heard why Slats & co are gonna pass. That doesn’t bode well for our chances of getting something for him.

Even if rangers were interested, they weren’t going to give us anything. no point. would be about salary relief.. but would cost us some cap hit. I think we’re better off even if katz isn’t

But enjoy her!

LateNightOilFan: Ok – I have to say it – she looks plastic there.Not saying it because I’m jealous and trying to draw attention away from her goddess-ness, but when the site loaded, I really thought she was a Barbie ad.Racki said you guys were getting ads, I thought Mattel was the first one.But enjoy her!Thanks for the update.If the season lasted for 2 more years I might succeed in my gradual climb to the top of Foiled Again.Since I really don’t want to drag out the season from an Oilers perspective any longer than I have to, a bottom half of a top-10 finish in the pool would be nice.Nice to hear JDD is improving, have to wonder if the Oilers will qualify him in the off-season.Not good about Souray, but I’ll take Ranger comments with a grain of salt.
    Couldn’t believe my eyes when I watched Johnson deck DiPietro as it happened, but at the same time it didn’t surprise me.Injuries don’t seem to just happen to DP, he seems to find them.

Isn’t airbrushing wonderful? ;)

JDD .. meh… whatever happens, happens. Not worried about him. I see no future with him with the Oilers, so it’s all about providing quality for our farm team. If he can hack it there, I’m fine with him sticking around. But I’m fine with him being on an AHL contract. So on that note, I guess like you said they have to qualify him, which would not be good.. so no thanks to qualifying him. But if he became a free agent and was willing to sign a cheap AHL contract, I’m good with that.

6. hemmerlady says:

on Souray: not surprised, but too bad Slats isn’t taking him off our hands.
    on Kessel: looks like he’s no Mohammed Ali – he misspoke and meant his linemates, not the team or Wilson. I don’t think it’s smart to say that in the press though. Keep it in the dressing room.
    on Calgary sucking with no legitimate excuse: sweeeet.
    on Ms. Fussy-Britches: she is quite hot but I’m with LNOF. No way those are real. :) I’m also still waiting for a shirtless Hemmer pic. :D

About Kessel, I don’t think he misspoke at all. The original interview didn’t give me the impression in the slightest that he wanted new linemates. OK, yes, wait.. he wanted new linemates.. just on another team. :P

On Calgary.. sucking? They’re rocking right now.. it’s disgusting. lol They’re in the playoff hunt now, after being in #14 in the West not that long ago. As much as I hate them, it deserves some applause.

LateNightOilFan: Ok – I have to say it – she looks plastic there. Not saying it because I’m jealous and trying to draw attention away from her goddess-ness, but when the site loaded, I really thought she was a Barbie ad. Racki said you guys were getting ads, I thought Mattel was the first one.But enjoy her!Thanks for the update. If the season lasted for 2 more years I might succeed in my gradual climb to the top of Foiled Again. Since I really don’t want to drag out the season from an Oilers perspective any longer than I have to, a bottom half of a top-10 finish in the pool would be nice.Nice to hear JDD is improving, have to wonder if the Oilers will qualify him in the off-season. Not good about Souray, but I’ll take Ranger comments with a grain of salt. Couldn’t believe my eyes when I watched Johnson deck DiPietro as it happened, but at the same time it didn’t surprise me. Injuries don’t seem to just happen to DP, he seems to find them.

Oh, don’t worry, I’ll enjoy her. A sight for sore eyes after a day in Dreadfull Valley. God I hate that place, but there’s a shitload of money there.

Anyways, yeah, Souray’s a piece of shit. Who knew?

Here’s hoping that Dubnyk gets the ball and is allowed to run with it like JDD did last year. What’s the point of playing Khabbi at this stage? Try and trade him for a 4th. I doubt we’d get that, but stranger things have happpened. Like the Dodo bird. That was strange, and it ended well too.

JDD has to be done after this year as an Oiler. It’s too bad because I truly believe his development, as well as Dubnyk’s, was a complete disaster with our lack of an AHL club over the years. What genius shut that down? Good to see we don’t have to worry about that anymore though. Gold star for Tambellini.

Also, I’m very pleased that the lames are poised to make a dash for the playoffs. I hope they get in, renewing the optomism that they always get even though they suck, and get swept in four. That would be satisfying.

Back to Souray; I’d have to think he’s only gone if we try to recall him. I’d recall him at this point just to get rid of him and see if their are any half price takers. The other school of thought would be to do this in the summer and see if their are takers then. I have a feeling we’ll end up doing both.

DiPietro; What can you say about this guy? Just the worst result in every possibility to get injured in everything he does. I laughed when that contract was signed, because you just knew karma would do this, but now I just feel sorry for the guy not being able to play. I did laugh my ass off though when I saw the fight and heard he would be out. It’s just a comedy of ridiculous situations there on The Island.

9. hemmerlady says:

Oh, wow, did I ever accidentally invert their last 10 record to reflect my desired psychological state (gloating over their perceived failure). Damn.

Well I can see how you would make that mistake… who would have thought they’d actually right that ship anytime soon??? I don’t think it’s a long term thing though, even if it works this year.