GDT Oilers 5, Thrashers 3 – Game 59 – 2011-02-19 @ 1:30 PM MST – SNETW

GDT: Edmonton Oilers vs. Atlanta Thrashers
logo AT logo
25-24-10 Record 18-32-8
Location: Rexall Place
Date: February 19, 2011 @ 1:30 PM MST
TV: SNETW

This afternoon the Oilers host the Atlanta Thrashers at Rexall (1:30PM start.. it’s an early one). The Oilers have been great in the two games since Steve Tambellini’s pep rally in which he told the players to stop worrying about the draft and just try to win. As much as I want us to get the number 1 pick, it’s great to see that they can turn on the “give a damn” setting at any moment. I expect another solid game today. Sounds like Dubnyk will get the start, from what I hear via Twitter, even though Khabibulin has been quite good the past two games (apparently his “give a damn” was switched on recently).

Prediction: 3-2 SO win for the Oilers.

GUESSTIMATED LINES

Hall – Cogliano- Eberle
Paajarvi – Gagner – Omark
Penner – Horcoff – Hemsky
Jacques – Reddox – Jones

Peckham – Gilbert
Smid – Foster
Vandermeer – Chorney

Dubnyk
Khabibulin

LIVE CHAT

Closed.

60 Responses to “GDT Oilers 5, Thrashers 3 – Game 59 – 2011-02-19 @ 1:30 PM MST – SNETW”

Hemmer + our first for Malkin maybe :P (injured though, so that won’t happen)

How about Hemmer for Staal straight up?

God, I’m feeling dirty these days for even talking about Hemsky trades. I have a tough time building our lines with either of Penner/Hemsky traded too (and why Steve-O is such a crybaby about trading the two… :P)

2. victoriaoilerfan says:

Racki: Hemmer + our first for Malkin maybe (injured though, so that won’t happen)How about Hemmer for Staal straight up? God, I’m feeling dirty these days for even talking about Hemsky trades. I have a tough time building our lines with either of Penner/Hemsky traded too (and why Steve-O is such a crybaby about trading the two… )Honestly though, Hemmer would absolutely rule with the Caps too. Too bad teams don’t really get the exposure to him that we do to know how deadly he can be, especially if playing with someone of Semin, Ovechkin caliber.

Racki I have what could be some interesting information about trading injured players. I ws watching a Canucks game on Sportsnet Pacific and one of the guests on between periods was Laurence Gilman. He does all the cap space calculations and contract work with the Nucks.
    He stated emphaticaly that an injured player CAN be traded. I remember I was shocked when I heard that but the interviewer said at the time” I just found that out, and I suspect most fans would be surprised to hear that”.
    It goes against what I understood. I am going to dig around and see what I can find out, but Gilman knows what he is talking about

3. MetalOil says:

Yeah I have always wondered about teams trying to trade injured players and if the could be traded. I think they should be able to be traded. I mean if a team has no issue with trading for an injured player then what should stop them from doing so?

Anyways, I was only kidding about Malkin for Hemsky and our 1st.. no way would the Pens do that. :P

5. hemmerlady says:

I don’t think my opinion can be seen as neutral in any way, but I honestly believe that, whether or not I have a monumental crush on him. :)

I’m threatening a filibuster on the Hemsky trade issue.

6. victoriaoilerfan says:

hemmerlady: Have to agree with you Racki. If Steve-o is a crybaby then put me in a high chair next to him… From a practical standpoint, I just don’t see what good it would do for us to trade Hemsky. How would we make up his share of the offense? I don’t see us coming out on the winning end of a deal, as has been usually customary for us. We could get a couple mediocre players for him (“mediocre” always sets my toes a-tappin’), or possibly gen up on the defensive side, but Hemsky plays a role we desperately need, and if we got rid of him, I think it would only cripple us. (perhaps a poor choice of word in his case)I don’t think my opinion can be seen as neutral in any way, but I honestly believe that, whether or not I have a monumental crush on him. I’m threatening a filibuster on the Hemsky trade issue.Could we please change the subject, (okay that’s never going to happen) or at least act like Hemmer being traded isn’t a foregone conclusion? That would really do wonders for my mental health.

So how about we offer to extend him, give him a raise and see how Ales/his agent react.
    If they balk at it, I think then it is the signal to look at moving him.

victoriaoilerfan: I hope this calms your anixiety Hemmerlady. Has anyone ever discussed sitting down with Ales and extending his contract? I don’t think there are many that want him gone really, but we are all nervous about his looming UFA status.
    If they balk at it, I think then it is the signal to look at moving him.

At any rate, it sounds like Tambellini is playing hardball with other GMs with Hemsky trades. So if he does get moved, it sounds like it will be a hell of a deal anyways. Hemsky is a great player, but he isn’t Gretzky. If we can survive that trade, we can survive a Hemsky trade. I’d say it’s on par with a Smyth trade though, so I can understand the hurt.. as that one stung for me too!

8. hemmerlady says:

Racki: I think it was Steve-O that mentioned it, and this is the way I understood it too, but I don’t think the Oilers can actually extend Hemsky until he’s in the final year of his contract. As for talking about it early, I don’t see why they couldn’t do that.

well we survived the Smyth trade, but is it really surviving when you’re locked in the dingy basement of the NHL for the past 5 years? (Not saying Smytty’s trade is solely responsible for our suckage) The fans will survive if we trade Hemmer, I’m not talking about disappointment. I want to ask: is trading Hemmer the best move for the team? I don’t think it is. He’s too valuable.

It depends on what we get for him, really. It’s definitely nice having two big scoring lines (you know who they are) and a 3rd that can contribute decently (Paajarvi/Gagner/Omark).

However if the Oilers get a blue-chip D player and possibly a pick, that *could* go farther in the long run than hanging on to Hemmer. It’s hard to say though.. there’s a lot of unknown to either side. If we keep him, will he stay healthy? Is he going to be OK taking a bit of a backseat to Hall/Eberle? If we trade him, can we fill that scoring gap? Will it put too much pressure on the young kids?

One thing I can say is that after a couple of years or so, it won’t be the Ales Hemsky show here anymore (at least solely), but I’m sure he’d be willing to accept that.

On our forward lines, we’re definitely better here with Hemsky than with out. I think the team really desperately needs some D help though, and would really, seriously benefit from a home-run, complete D prospect. There is a chance we’ll land that in this year’s draft though.

Anyways, HL, Steve-O and all the others that don’t want to see Hemmer gone (which I somewhat include myself in, albeit to a lesser extent), I can all but guarantee that if Hemsky is traded, it will be for a very solid package. I think proof of that is that we’ve heard a couple of GMs now say that the asking price is too rich for them.

10. victoriaoilerfan says:

Racki: To be honest, I wasn’t really sure and I think an injured player was traded not all that long ago. But I can’t remember who, if it did happen.Anyways, I was only kidding about Malkin for Hemsky and our 1st.. no way would the Pens do that.

Racki I called the a fellow that my family knows very well and has been heavily involved in the NHL as a coach and GM. and asked the question about weather injured players. can be traded?
    The answer he gave is this: “according to my understanding,there is no injury based restrictions on trades in the CBA. So even a player on the LTIR can be traded as long as there is a clear understanding of the players condition among the trading partners.”
    It does fly in the face of what I “thought” I knew on the subject. It opens up a lot of trade posibillities I didn’t think could be done.