GDT Oilers 5, Thrashers 3 – Game 59 – 2011-02-19 @ 1:30 PM MST – SNETW

GDT: Edmonton Oilers vs. Atlanta Thrashers
logo AT logo
25-24-10 Record 18-32-8
Location: Rexall Place
Date: February 19, 2011 @ 1:30 PM MST
TV: SNETW

This afternoon the Oilers host the Atlanta Thrashers at Rexall (1:30PM start.. it’s an early one). The Oilers have been great in the two games since Steve Tambellini’s pep rally in which he told the players to stop worrying about the draft and just try to win. As much as I want us to get the number 1 pick, it’s great to see that they can turn on the “give a damn” setting at any moment. I expect another solid game today. Sounds like Dubnyk will get the start, from what I hear via Twitter, even though Khabibulin has been quite good the past two games (apparently his “give a damn” was switched on recently).

Prediction: 3-2 SO win for the Oilers.

GUESSTIMATED LINES

Hall – Cogliano- Eberle
Paajarvi – Gagner – Omark
Penner – Horcoff – Hemsky
Jacques – Reddox – Jones

Peckham – Gilbert
Smid – Foster
Vandermeer – Chorney

Dubnyk
Khabibulin

LIVE CHAT

Closed.

60 Responses to “GDT Oilers 5, Thrashers 3 – Game 59 – 2011-02-19 @ 1:30 PM MST – SNETW”

The Oilers have played Souray on re-entry waivers.

Racki:
    The Oilers have played Souray on re-entry waivers.

EDIT: With Khabi playing well I wonder why Duby is getting the start already? I’d be okay with a shot at pick no. 2.

3. MetalOil says:

Souray on re-entry waivers.

Edited by Racki: moved this over here, just because I already posted on it here and Zack replied.. so might as well continue things here.

4. victoriaoilerfan says:

Racki: The Oilers have played Souray on re-entry waivers.I wonder if he gets claimed… I’m not looking forward to the Oilers having a $2.7M cap hit stuck on the cap, but hey.. it’s only for 1 year. Won’t be much of an issue at this point.

Have the Leafs got cap space for Shelly now that Kaberle is gone?

zackman35: I think that’s the intention, mine as well pay half then to pay full + possibly trade another asset. It’s not like we’ll be scratching the cap hit next season anyways. I wonder if a trade will happen after today’s game?

victoriaoilerfan: Have the Leafs got cap space for Shelly now that Kaberle is gone?

7. Haboiler says:

I think this is the perfect time for this move. No risk IMO. When do you think tambi makes a trade. I’d think by Tuesday. Great deal between blues and avs. An old time hockey trade. Love it!

Racki: You mean another trade outside of Souray, right? Cause if a GM is actually trading for Souray, then I’m going to have to suggest that the GM is freakin’ high. lol

Racki: All but 10 teams could afford Souray for this year (due to the fact that we’re part way through the season). However next year’s salary is where it would be in question. The Leafs are one of the 19 other teams that can afford Souray for this year. As for next year, they’d be pretty close to the cap if they kept all players at the same salaries. They’d have to make some decisions.

But Souray can be defined as containing testosterone, belligerence and to some degree tenacity. I actually think this would be quite a bitch slap to Lowe if Burke claimed him.

I’m still hoping that Tambellini definitely doesn’t deal Penner… to a fair bit lesser extent, I hope he doesn’t trade Hemmer either (in some ways I wouldn’t mind seeing Hemsky used to bolster our blue line.. but I don’t look forward to having to trying to replace Hemsky, although Hall/Eberle will do it one day).

I am just hoping for minor deals to happen.. as in: get rid of Foster and Fraser. To a lesser extent, try to move Brule and/or Cogliano. Aside from deals that will never happen (ex. Khabibulin), I’m fine with other players staying.

zackman35: Haha well I mean it would probably take Souray and at least a young roster player ex. Cogs for a team to offer anything for Souray. I don’t think we could get rid of him alone ex. just Souray for a 5th rounder. And hey we traded POS (Piece of Shit/Pat O’Sulli)… :razz:

Yah which makes no sense for us, right? We get rid of a perfectly serviceable/tradeable asset in Cogliano just to save $2.7 cap hit next year when as you said we won’t need anyways and take on that bum. Yah, no thanks :P

11. MetalOil says:

I still can’t see anyone picking Shelly up. I think this is the last ditch effort before he gets bought out this summer.

12. Haboiler says:

I agree Racki. Keep Penner. Trade Hemmer if the return is good, if not wait til next year. I think Fraser, Vandermeer, Brule, and possibly cogs will go. I really hope they keep Jones. Nice utility player that likes it here. If they keep Hemmer, then next years lines are similar to thIs year except for possibly 3C to play with the Swedes if Cogs doesn’t return. I’m waiting for Tambi to pull of the “unexpected”but I think that’s a pipedream.

13. dawgtoy says:

I always love it when teams make a trade on the same day that they play one another. I’d love to see that happen today! The players just grab their stuff and switch locker rooms…I can dream.

dawgtoy:

Haha with Tambo it’d probably come at the latest time possible, like when the players are entering the plane to leave the city, to have enough time to asses the player from the game himself.

MetalOil:

I know $1.5M is a lot of kablingy.. I just am hopeful that either Souray is claimed or Katz sacrifices a bit of money for the extra cap buffer.

Haboiler:

Maybe Lander next year can center his countrymen?

I kind of hope the Leafs pick him up. It would be another costly plug on their blue line.

Good move. He either gets picked up, dealt, clears and can be traded at the deadline without hassle, or goes back down if none of the above happen.

Katz is getting tired of signing this paycheque.

Teams that should have interest: Montreal (Injuries), Washington, Carolina, NYR, Vancouver and St. Louis would be my top contenders. St. Louis just because they’ve moved two D men recently. All the others because they need PP help on the blue line.

Or, it could be the first stages for a trade. Toronto has lots of first rounders this year…. :P

17. Haboiler says:

I like that Racki. Crossed my mind but wasn’t sure he would be ready or not. Landeskog would be nice as well. Interesting on Twitter that Rishaug is saying Caps have interest in Hemsky. Oil want Carlson back, Caps offering Alzner… I would love Carlson here…

18. MetalOil says:

Racki: I hope they don’t buy him out. I mean, it’s not my cash to spend (like Christ.. because I think I’d need a loan..), but I’d rather Katz eat the extra $1.5M (vs a buyout which would cost $1.5M next year and the following year, but with a cap hit of $2.4M next year and $1.5M the following year). I’d rather they do everything they can to prevent from having any unnecessary cap hit.. cause you just never know if in 2012-13 season if we might need that cash. Who knows…

True but If we just keep him burred in the minors then It may become one of those things that could be detrimental to getting other free agents to sign here. One of those “If I sign in Edmonton and things go sour then there just gonna hinder my career” type of things. I guess that damage has already been done but we should at least try to end this relationship. It would probably serve everyone best going forward.

19. dawgtoy says:

So many teams desperate for D-men…a playoff team would be smart IMO to give him a shot. We pay half his salary and he’ll be motivated as hell. Even if they used him as a power play specialist, his shot from the point on say San Jose…

Haboiler:
    I like that Racki.Crossed my mind but wasn’t sure he would be ready or not.Landeskog would be nice as well. Interesting on Twitter that Rishaug is saying Caps have interest in Hemsky.Oil want Carlson back, Caps offering Alzner… I would love Carlson here…

Rishaug says the Oil would be interested in either.. didn’t see that caps were offering Alzner. But really, either would be good… I don’t know if that is the right return for Hemsky or not though. To be honest, I don’t know enough about those two D.

MetalOil: True but If we just keep him burred in the minors then It may become one of those things that could be detrimental to getting other free agents to sign here. One of those “If I sign in Edmonton and things go sour then there just gonna hinder my career” type of things.

Yah for sure, that’s a very good point. I’m just hoping that if we get rid of him some way, it’s not via buyout, is all. But I guess a buyout should be the 2nd last resort (last resort being burying him).

BTW, for those suggesting Burke might do it.. I kind of have to wonder.. why would he? I mean.. if Burke was sane, why would he do it? The Leafs should be trying to get younger. I’m not sure what team would pick Souray up, but I wonder… if it’s the Caps, maybe that opens the door for them to trade one of their young d-men to us.

22. Haboiler says:

23. Haboiler says:

You are right, I had him and Couterier mixed up on positions.

Racki: Haboiler: Oh I forgot to mention… Landeskog is a winger… so no, you won’t see a line with all of Omark, Landeskog and Paajarvi on it.

Montreal and Vancouver both have huge holes on D due to injury. Just sayin’.

25. MetalOil says:

chucker:
    Montreal and Vancouver both have huge holes on D due to injury.Just sayin’.

I can’t see Vancouver doing it because of the extra year left of his contract.

Maybe Montreal because of the familiarity but does it really make sense to replace injured players with one that is made of glass?

Haboiler:
    Burke told Fan590 he won’t be claiming Souray.My bad on the Rishaug Tweet, he said the oil would want Alzner, not had been offered him.Personally, I would rather Carlson.Alzner has 20 points in 110 NHL games and no PP points.Carlson has 24 points, 5 on PP in 59 games.

I don’t know enough about the two guys, but just general observations….

– if Alzner brings a more solid defensive game, I’d much prefer Alzner, even if the offensive numbers aren’t there.
    – Alzner was drafted 5th over all in his draft, vs. 27th.
    – Alzner is Canadian.. sorry to stereotype, but I’ve got a bias against most American d-men, however Carlson at least played for London for a year
    – Carlson is a RHD.. so that works in his favor, as good RHD are a bit harder to come by
    – As you noted, the offensive numbers for Carlson are quite a bit better. Carlson is also a year younger

Here are the scouting reports on these guys:
    John Carlson:
    Assets

* Is an explosive offensive player from the back end, and also possesses great size and aggressiveness for the position. Shoots the puck very well and displays great instincts.

Flaws

* In order to maximize his vast potential for the National Hockey League game, he must round out his play without the puck and improve his defensive-zone coverage.

Career Potential

* Offensive defenseman with huge all-around potential.

Karl Alzner:
    Assets

* Has great size, mobility and the potential to play an all-around game from the back end. Should develop into a top-pairing, big-minute defender over time.

Flaws

* Needs to make better use of his 6-2 frame in order to keep pro forwards honest. Must continue to work on his shot from the point to score more goals.

Career Potential

* Potential big-minute shutdown defenseman.

Here are the scouting reports on both

Judging by TOI, it looks like Carlson has the edge there (plays more) across the board (i.e. PP, ESV, PK). So the Caps certainly do favor him. I’m only guessing, but again by ice time it looks like Carlson has the benefit of playing with Mike Green, whereas Alzner’s partner is Jeff Schultz (although according to one trusty site, it looks like Alzner and Carlson are playing together while Green is hurt).

I’d say it looks like the Caps do favor Carlson (suggesting he would be the better D-man). But perhaps either would be a good pick up.

Are they fair value for Hemsky though?

Btw, twats are also saying that the Habs are interested in Penner. No thanks.

MetalOil: I can’t see Vancouver doing it because of the extra year left of his contract.

Plus, it would be wiser for them to do it with an expiring contract and not take on another full year.

Yeah, but the pressure is HUGE on Gillis and Gauthier this year. I can see it happening. Vancouver has practically planned the parade route and Montreal’s expectations are what they always are. The one extra year is a concern for sure, but in the word’s of thecaptainethanmoreau “I look at it as a positive. A team will get me for an extra year.”

29. Haboiler says:

I agree, Penner should stay and I have zero interest in trading him. Great write up on both of the young D. I am not sure its enough for Hemsky. However, is Bogosian for Hemsky a good deal? I honestly don’t know.

Ah the heck with it, give the Caps Hemmer and Khabi and we will take Carlson and one of their young goalies. We can throw in Cogliano for good measure… thats my E5 for the day…. of course I’m kidding.

Haboiler:
    I agree, Penner should stay and I have zero interest in trading him.Great write up on both of the young D.I am not sure its enough for Hemsky.However, is Bogosian for Hemsky a good deal?I honestly don’t know.

Ah the heck with it, give the Caps Hemmer and Khabi and we will take Carlson and one of their young goalies.We can throw in Cogliano for good measure… thats my E5 for the day…. of course I’m kidding.

31. MetalOil says:

Racki: yah, Bogosian for Hemsky is just as risky as either of these two d-men for Hemsky. The potential is definitely there.. but neither are really proven either.

I like Bogosian but I would want Atlanta to Sweeten the Pot a bit to make me happy. The Thrashers are growing more desperate by the day.

MetalOil: I think the Hemsky for Bogosian is probably the most likely deal IF Hemsky is traded. With us playing the Trash today I can’t help but think something might get done today. It would be crazy if the two were forced to switch dresseing rooms right before the game just like the Doug Weight-Esa Tikkanen trade. That would be pure Drama.

Yah I agree with all of this.

33. dawgtoy says:

I’d love to see that

34. MetalOil says:

dawgtoy:
    I’d love to see that

The Preds are said to have high interest in Smid. Not sure what the return would be. I would say a 2nd rounder but I think they dealt that to the Sens in the Fisher trade.

35. victoriaoilerfan says:

dawgtoy: I’d love to see thatI agree Bogo for Hemmer would need some sugar. HEY ST, “Let’s make a deal!” You gotta know he’s getting itchy to pull the trigger on something, my guess is Smid…my wish is Gilbert.

Haboiler: Burke told Fan590 he won’t be claiming Souray. My bad on the Rishaug Tweet, he said the oil would want Alzner, not had been offered him. Personally, I would rather Carlson. Alzner has 20 points in 110 NHL games and no PP points.Carlson has 24 points, 5 on PP in 59 games.

I can’t see the Oilers even looking at a Hemsky/Bogasian deal. Why would they? Bogs. has nothing to show but the famous *potential which is pretty much useless IMO. We need a prospect that has proven he can play IMO.
    Hemsky has a great contract and is a proven player in the league. He is a proverbial bird in the hand after all. As far as what the Thrashers would have to do to sweeten this deal? Bogs. and a 1st rounder this year and their 1st next, just to start.
    Atlanta has to cushion the risk in this deal IMO
    Anything less you are throwing Ales away IMO.

TAYLOR HALL HAT TRICK!!!

37. dawgtoy says:

victoriaoilerfan:
    I can’t see the Oilers even looking at a Hemsky/Bogasian deal. Why would they? Bogs. has nothing to show but the famous *potential which ispretty much useless IMO. We need a prospect that has proven he can play IMO.
    Atlanta has to cushion the risk in this deal IMO
    Anything less you are throwing Ales away IMO.

Really? Kinda hard on a 21 year old defenseman don’t you think? Made the Thrashers as an 18 year old only to break his leg. He’s developing as most young defenseman do. Has few glaring weaknesses in his game, size, skating, toughness…and his age fits right into the rebuild.
    I love Hemmer, if he’s stays…great, but you’re proposing a starting price for Hemsky would by Bogo, their first this year and next. I’d say you’re overvaluing Hemsky by quite a bit.

I would think that Hemsky gets you Bogo plus… but I’m not sure what the plus is, however.

39. MetalOil says:

40. John says:

MetalOil: 7pts in the last 3 games for Hemksy. Maybe he does want out and is uping his trade value.

That’s definitely how you do it! Earlier in the game when the Oil just couldn’t get anything going, Hemmer looked unusually frustrated. Whether it was at himself or at his teams lack of focus & skill is hard to say.

Great character win for the boys today especially since it wasn’t one of Dubbies best games. Hall showing why he will be one of the next great ones :)

LOL come on guys. You’re killin’ me here (Someone else in the GDT was mentioning how Hemsky must want out).

Enough with the Edmonton is Siberia attitude. If Hemsky is playing well, embrace it for what it is… Hemsky playing good. The guy is playing some good hockey, but this is nothing new for Hemsky.

If he plays poorly, he’s pissed with the team and he wants out.. if he plays well, he is showcasing himself and wants out. Everybody wants out of Edmonton as quickly as they can. Enough with the butt-hurt over Edmonton… stop expecting it to happen. Yah, we’ve seen it happen before (like Pronger and Souray), but there’s also a heck of a lot of players that been upset about being traded away from here or have expressed that they want to stay here.

Very few players usually say they want out, for sure, but it’s embarrassing how people are always thinking players are trying to flee the city.

I’m sorry, I’m just targeting you two guys here, but I see it all the time on all forums/blogs.

Hemsky was clearly ecstatic when Hall got his hattrick goal (it was either the hatty or the 2nd goal).. I could see him smiling ear to ear and saying something to Hall. I take a different approach as you guys. Hemsky is loving hockey right now because it’s fun for these guys. It sucks to lose, but right now the team is riding a high.

42. MetalOil says:

I was just joking about thinking he wanted out because of his strong play.

Also I like what I just heard on HNIC’s After 40 Minutes. An unknow GM said “They can keep their Ales Hemsky with that asking price.”

Good to see Tamby playing some hardball!!!

haha OK, well my apologies for including you in that whole rant.. however I know there have been people frequently talking about Hemsky wanting out with really no merit. So the rant still stands, but you are absolved of all sins against Hemsky. :lol:

Anyways, yes, I’m loving that Tambellini isn’t allowing teams to push him over. I wonder who it was that said that. I’m guessing Chiarelli.

44. MetalOil says:

I’m thinking Dean Lombardi and I’m thinking that the Kings GM’s phone went dead when Tamby mentioned Schen.

lol

Well, I wouldn’t think that he would freak at a Schenn for Hemsky straight swap, but I can definitely understand him balking at it.

But I did think Lombardi as a possibility too.

46. dawgtoy says:

Based on recent developments, Penner would be my pick for the trade block. Hemmer has been the total package, just damn I wish for a season of Health….just one time…in an Oiler sweater that is.

47. dawgtoy says:

MetalOil:
    I was just joking about thinking he wanted out because of his strong play.

Also I like what I just heard on HNIC’s After 40 Minutes.An unknow GM said “They can keep their Ales Hemsky with that asking price.”

Good to see Tamby playing some hardball!!!

Completely agree with hardball, either get what you want, or keep what you got.

I’d say both Penner and Hemsky should be held on to unless we’re getting a big offer. There’s really not much reason to trade these guys, other than to bolster our blue line or strengthen ourselves down the middle (with a big, #1 C).

49. John says:

I don’t have a strong feeling that Hemmer wants out, especially because of the city or weather etc, just that he is a talented forward who is likely well aware that he could have his pick of any # of teams given the choice. Hemmer’s been good soldier for this team ever since his beginnings in Edmonton but it’s not inconceivable that a highly skilled forward in the prime of his career would seriously entertain the desire to ply his trade on a cup contending team surrounded by equally skilled team mates as opposed to spending several more of his key years on a basement dwelling rebuild team. I love what he’s brought to the team & would be happy if he stayed but wouldn’t blame him or hold anything against him if he wanted more out of his career, that’s all I’m really saying.

50. MetalOil says:

According to a tweet from the copper & blue a Pens source says the asking price for Hemsky is huge so maybe it was Ray Shero who was the above mentioned GM. Man oh man would Hemmer ever be a great fit on the Penguins.