GDT Oilers 4, Predators 0 – Game 53 – 2011-02-07 @ 6:00 PM – SNET ONE

Edmonton Oilers at Nashville Predators
logo AT logo
28-18-7 Record 15-29-8
Location: Bridgestone Arena
Date: February 7, 2011 @ 6:00 PM MST
TV: SNET ONE

Sorry for the late GDT thread everyone! The Oilers head into Nashville tonight. The Predators are 5-4-1 in their last 10, while the Oilers are an abysmal 1-8-1, although the effort has generally been there.

I think the Oilers almost had one against the Jackets, and just let it get away. But I can’t see the Oilers winning this one.

Prediction: 4-2 Predators

GUESSTIMATED LINES

Penner – Horcoff – Hemsky
Paajarvi – Gagner – Omark
Hall – Cogliano- Eberle
Reddox – Fraser – Jones

Peckham – Gilbert
Smid- Petry
Vandermeer – Foster

Dubnyk
Khabibulin

LIVE CHAT

Closed.

21 Responses to “GDT Oilers 4, Predators 0 – Game 53 – 2011-02-07 @ 6:00 PM – SNET ONE”

Wow, this was a lonely GDT! I was worried at first the way the Oilers were out-shot but Dubnyk stood tall and once the first 2 goals went in the Oilers seemed pretty confident. Nice win and congrats to Devan on his first career shutout! He certainly kept them in it at the beginning until they got going.

Gilbert looks like he may have had his bell rung though, courtesy of Gagner’s knee in a goalmouth scramble. Hope it’s nothing serious but the replay showed his head took a good jolt.

Hope a few people got to see the game, 4-0 wins are hard to come by so it was enjoyable!

Yah, sorry, I had to drive OG77 to the airport tonight, so I missed all but parts of the first. I heard the 3rd period on the radio and was surprised to tune in on the 3-0 goal.

Apparently Horcoff gave a big speech to the team before the game (yesterday I think). Sounds like it worked out quite well.

3. hemmerlady says:

Nice win boys and kudos on the shutout Dubie!

Hope Gilby isn’t hurt too bad – that’s JUST what we need, another hurt defenseman. Because we have those to spare.

Sounds like he was taken out for precautionary reasons. Gilbert hasn’t missed a single game in his 4 years with the Oilers. For his sake, hopefully that streak doesn’t end. If it does for a while, I hope they call up Plante and give him a shot. But I have a feeling that Gilbert won’t miss any.

5. mrgod2u says:

I was most impressed by how the guys went to the mat to help Doobie keep his shutout. They were blocking shots and working like demons on the powerplay up 4-0. They could have phoned it in and still got the win but they came up big when he needed them just like he did for the team in the first period. I hope we see more of this one (and maybe Horc’s speech) in an upcoming Oil Change…

6. Trogdor says:

Trogdor: there is no way we trade our MVP!

Mrgod2u: That sounds very Oil Change worthy.

Trogdor: Sadly, I missed the majority of this game as well. I did catch a bit of the first and some radio play though. Finally a victory and it wasn’t even a squeaker. Also caught wind from the ched announcers that the Thrashers scouts have been road tripping with the Oilers. Big Buff for Bulin? Maybe if they throw in Pavelec as well.

Rumours from Principe’s twat are about Zach Bogosian. HF has a thread about it.

Here’s what Gene twatted: https://twitter.com/geneprincipe/status/34999600121122817

Apparently, the Thrasher scouts have been following the Oilers the last three games.

That’s the kind of trade I could be happy with.

Same here. Bogosian is a stud that would plug lots of holes. :D

LHD: Whitney, Peckham, Smid
    RHD: Bogosian, Gilbert, Petry

Still missing that home-run shutdown d-man, but Bogosian, Petry or Peckham could reach that status one day too.

Racki: Chucker: I’m not sure if you intended your comment to sound dirty, but you succeeded. lolBTW, Bogosian is that elusive RHD. He can also log a lot of minutes, including PP and SH time. I think that while he’s likely not on the same plane as a Doughty, he’s still a guy you can build your blueline around. That’s definitely the kind of piece you can trade a Hemsky or Penner for and feel OK about. He’s big, physical, and plays a 2-way game.

Yeah, I typed it out and then realized it was a bit lude. lol

Agreed on the RHD thing. I think if we went after a guy like Brewer in the off season on a two year, presuming Foster, Vandermeer and Struds are all gone, our D looks pretty good for next season.

Also Hejda is a UFA! I guess we tend to think of ex-Oilers all the time, but he shouldn’t have ever been an ex-Oiler, in most of our professional opinions. :P

15. Ktown says:

Ahh… trade deadline time… when you can’t get enough rumors, and there’s more bullshit flying on the net than at a Calgarian cattle ranch…

Bogosian would be a good trade for the Oilers, and for Hemsky, I’d do it – but I don’t think that’s the whole deal (especially from Atlanta’s end). Of course, given the fact that the Oilers tend to get fleeced on a lot of trades, we’ll probably end up with Atlanta’s 5th (in 2013) for Hemsky – LOL.

*sigh* all rumors, and I haven’t found any actual sources mentioning anything other than the Thrashers have had scouts at the Oil games. I love it…

ps – isn’t Jagr signing with the Oil soon?

I don’t think that’s right that the Oilers get fleeced in trades. Yes, we’ve had some bad ones, but I’d say historically we’re probably a lot better than most teams. But you are probably right that there is more to the deal…

17. MetalOil says:

The Oilers sure seem to be mentioned in a lot of rumours right now. I guess being one of the few teams totally out of the playoff race is a big reason. Spector even mentions Brent Seabrook being on the block in Chicago. Perhaps to Edmonton.

That kinda of player would be nice here. Not sure their needs though

19. MetalOil says:

I’m guessing they would want to add a big body power forward in Penner as a replacement for Big Buff.

20. MetalOil says:

DP

Hmm. That isn’t a bad trade at all. I still would prefer to move Hemsky before Penner, as crazy as it might sound to most people. Hemsky’s skills are above anyone on this team, but the injuries bother me. But I’d be happy with keeping either.. or both. Seabrook definitely would be a good pick up. I think Bogosian’s projection is to be a more complete d-man, but will he reach that potential? Moving Hemsky out East would be better than keeping either on another team in the West, for sure. Bogosian is pretty young though, and therefore more raw still, but he’ll develop at the pace of guys like Hall/Eberle/Paajarvi too.