GDT Oilers 3, Blue Jackets 4 – Game 52 – 2011-02-05 @ 5:00 PM – CBC

Edmonton Oilers vs. Columbus Blue Jackets
logo AT logo
24-22-5 Record 15-28-8
Location: Nationwide Arena
Date: February 5, 2011 @ 5:00 PM MST
TV: CBC

The Oilers are officially dead last in the league again (not sure if this was just after last night though). Today they’ll face the 2nd last place team in the West, the Columbus Blue Jackets. The season is absolutely out of hand yet again, as the Oilers can’t seem to win even when they put up a good effort like they did last night. They are currently on pace for an even worse year than last year. That said, I’m not worried about this team, and I don’t think many of you are either… we knew it would be bad.

Early report is that Dustin Penner should be back for this one (flu).

I’m not even sure what to predict for this one. The Oilers have to win eventually though, right? Prediction: 4-3 Oilers.

GUESSTIMATED LINES

Penner – Horcoff – Hemsky
Paajarvi – Gagner – Omark
Hall – Cogliano- Eberle
Reddox – Fraser – MacIntyre

Peckham – Gilbert
Smid- Petry
Vandermeer – Strudwick

Khabibulin
Dubnyk

LIVE CHAT

Closed.

22 Responses to “GDT Oilers 3, Blue Jackets 4 – Game 52 – 2011-02-05 @ 5:00 PM – CBC”

Apparently Jones is out of the lineup as a healthy scratch (which makes no sense to me, given he’s been one of our best players… but maybe they’re staying the course on this Titanic) according to Tencer. Fraser might be too (which does make sense).

2. hemmerlady says:

Why would they scratch Jonesy?? Maybe he’s in Renney’s doghouse for some reason, and I can’t see how it would be play-related. It’s just unfathomable.

3. Haboiler says:

I don’t like it either, but at this point try anything lol…

I can only guess that they’re dressing guys they want to showcase for a trade. lol

Can you change Blues to Blue Jackets for your GDT header Racki? Had me confused for a second…

Makes no sense to scratch Jones unless he isn’t 100%.

LNOF: Oops… as you can maybe guess, I copy the previous game day thread when making new ones (thus why I make mistakes like that all the time).

Anyways, Foster out now too, Strudwick in.. and JFJ not really in.. Fraser still in.

7. hemmerlady says:

Strudwick?? Are we getting desperate, or is there a larger game plan at play?

I just assume that it’s either about sending a message to Foster, or just giving Strudwick a chance to play. Not sure though.

Where is Jones. Renney better stay away from the East coast if he is benching him.

10. Scarriere says:

I look at the names on the top three lines and think “Holy cow! We’re gonna score 5 to 7 goals!”
    Then, sadly, I realize that isn’t gonna happen. Yet.
    I sure can’t wait until that DOES start happening and I think it is inevitable.
    GO OILERS!!

Fun one to watch.. the Omark/Gagner/Paajarvi line is magic. Our Powerplay.. is not.

Watching this gae it really looks to me like we have our forward group set for the future. Our offense is so much fun to watch, I just hope we are able to put together a defense that can help us out. I keep going back and forth and am back on the Larsson train. I hate reading on TSN from almost eeryone, even Oilers fans, that the Oilers have no hope etc. etc. I really think that this team is going to be a good team that just needs some developing up front and some more defenders to help out.

I really like PRV-Gagner-Omark, and Cogliano looked good with Hall and Ebs. I really like our forward group right now, just think we need some bottom 6 guys to go with it, and some defense to help out.

Oh, btw deadline day gets more interesting every day. Te Rangers have been in looking at Sheldon Souray. I’d love to dump him off to them. I’m hoping that someone grabs Vandermeer as well as I would love to get a draft pick for him. Gilbert Brule I heard is being looked at by teams too. Looking forward to it.

I was mentioning it somewhere else that I would love for the Oil to draft two more Swedes next year – Adam Larsson and Victor Rask (they’ll need a mid-round first for that). That answers our need for the all-around blue liner, and gives us potentially a capable center for the top line (down the road). At the very least, it would give a good secondary center to work with Omark/Paajarvi, although Gagner is definitely doing a fine job of that right now.

But anyways… Larsson for sure should be our target if he’s available.

I don’t think Souray will end up with the Rags. He’ll probably get claimed by a team looking for a playoff push on re-entry. But that said, I’d have no issue with it.. wouldn’t hurt the team for him to stay in Hershey.. wouldn’t hurt the team for him to go through re-entry waivers. Option B saves Katz some cash though.

14. MetalOil says:

Racki: I’m still 100% on the Larsson bandwagon.. I faltered a bit and bought into Couturier (who I’m sure will be good), but I still think that your best teams have that rock on the blueline first and foremost.
    But anyways… Larsson for sure should be our target if he’s available.

Agreed. I think the Oil should Draft Larrson to fill the hole on defense(although we would probably have to wait a few seasons for him to find his pro game as the Drew Doughty/instant impact types are just down right a rare breed. The the Oil should try and trade the always injured Hemsky for the proven center we need. Lets face it we have so much up and coming talent on RW and I think Penner bring more to this team then Hemsky does and will probably come at cheaper cost then Hemmer will when their contracts are up.

Yah MO, that echoes my sentiments.

And I am leaning more and more towards being OK with a Hemsky for Schenn trade, although I’m not sure if either side would do it. But he’s listed as ~193lbs, and 6′ – 6’2″, depending on where you look. That’s decent size, although I don’t think he’s a very physical guy. But really, I think our forward group is strong enough to fake its way through not having a big #1C, but we can’t fake not having that elite d-man (which Larsson might not even be, but I’m willing to find out).

16. MetalOil says:

Hemksy for Schenn. That’s an interesting idea. I remember reading that LA Kings GM Lombardi saying it would take a wow offer for him to even consider moving Schenn but with The Flames being back in playoff contention thus meaning Iggy in all likely hood being off of the table and with the Kings barely hanging on to the 8th spot they may be desperate enough to trade Scheen. Hemsky probably would not be enough on his own but adding a 2nd round draft pick and mid level player(Cogs Maybe???) might appeal to them.

18. sp0rtsnutone says:

19. NorwegianOiler says:

Racki: I wonder if Toni Rajala is a prospect that would garner any interest, and I wonder if he’s a guy we should thinking about moving due to numbers game. That probably sounds funny, givfen that he hasn’t been given a chance yet… I just have a fear that he’ll slip into the netherworld if he stays on this team. So I’m thinking get something while we still can.

Wouldn’t you think it would be for another unsigned prospect in that case?

NorwegianOiler:
    Wouldn’t you think it would be for another unsigned prospect in that case?

Could be right.. and I wasn’t suggesting Rajala in any specific deal BTW.. just saying that I haven’t got the feeling that he is going to be here long term. But…. I also had that same feeling about Omark, and here he is. So you never know. But I just don’t want another asset to just slip away like we’ve seen in the past.

sp0rtsnutone: I love playing fantasy hockey and fantasy football, but after watching the game and browsing the forums, I get bored and find myself with lots of time on my hand. Can anyone recommend a game to play where I can compete against others everyday and put my skills and luck to the test? It would be great if it had some sort of championship.

You missed out on it, but every year we have a fantasy pool. The Yahoo pools are good in that you’re involved daily (or weekly) setting your line up. But aside from that, I am not too sure. I remember years ago before the “internet” I used to play this game called SHL that was set up on a bulletin board. Basically it was a text-based, turn-based hockey game.. which sounds horribly lame, but it was a lot of fun because you played against other people that way and it was all about strategy (albeit pretty basic). I think I’ve ssen other games around like that, but now that great games like NHL 11 exist, I’ve had no interest in those kinds of games. If i come across anything, I’ll post it here.

21. NorwegianOiler says:

Better put these onlinetourney-guys on waivers, Racki.

Sorry about no gdt yet. Got busy at work and forgot about it. will do it up soonish