Oilers Recall Taylor Chorney

By , January 10, 2011 10:52 am

Taylor Chorney

The Edmonton Oilers have recalled the Chorn-dog

From the Oilers:
General Manager Steve Tambellini announced today the Edmonton Oilers have recalled defenseman Taylor Chorney from Oklahoma City of the American Hockey League.

I know he isn’t the most favored young d-man we have, but I’ll give him a chance to see what he can do. Hopefully he won’t have Strudwick as his partner (sorry Strudwick). The two just did not mesh at all last year. Not sure if it was all Strudwick’s fault at this point…

8 Responses to “Oilers Recall Taylor Chorney”

Why is the question. Why did we recall another defender? This leaves us with Strudwick, Peckham, Petry, Smid, Vandermeer, Foster, Gilbert and now Chorney. I hope to christ there is a trade in the works.

It could mean an injury again for someone… Vandy’s ankle was bothering him again, last I heard. But I don’t know how bad. It could mean a trade. My guess would be Foster or Vandy, if someone is being traded. But I doubt it.

Fistric to Edmonton? lol

Seriously though, I would think that if we were trading a player, he would be gone before we’d worry about the callup, with us having 7 d-men currently.

Ummm look take it with a grain of salt, but that man who’s rumors are never right says on the twitter that The Rangers like Vandermeer. Makes sense, I mena we just called up a defender, they have space and they just traded one away opening up a spot. Just throwing that out there.

Vandermeer for Marc Staal? :P

Seriously, I’ll take my grandma’s Oilers rumors with more basis than anything Twatwaffle has to offer.

Hemsky for Staal and I’d do that. As for the callup, I’m wondering if Foster has something ongoing. He was “scratched” the other game, perhaps he now has an injury. SHEER speculation on my part.

Gilbert is supposed to be playing with a bad shoulder too. Heard it at work from a guy who would know.

Or perhaps I’m just a wannabee poster who knows nothing at all. Which is more likely? :P

chucker: Hemsky for Staal and I’d do that.As for the callup, I’m wondering if Foster has something ongoing.He was “scratched” the other game, perhaps he now has an injury.SHEER speculation on my part.Gilbert is supposed to be playing with a bad shoulder too.Heard it at work from a guy who would know.
    Or perhaps I’m just a wannabee poster who knows nothing at all.Which is more likely?:P

It’s Vandermeer for Staal, don’t change the rumors!!! :P

And Foster.. I’m pretty sure he was benched for failing at being a d-man. lol No more politer way to put it. He’s struggled. Renney mentioned it, as did Foster.

And I think I heard that somewhere about Gilbert too. He was playing with some sort of injury.. shoulder sounds right.

7. oilinblood says:

LA needs a dman, probably a lefty, and are actively looking for one in addition to asking for available top wingers (Iginla and recently ELias stated he said no to an offer to waive his NMC to LA)
    The Oilers had their mid season scout meeting. The Oilers are likely to make moves now rather than at the deadline because they will see now what most scouts have been saying all year. Dont expect anyone from 2011 to help you right away. Nobody fromt his draft class looks like they will make an impact skill wise for 2-3 years. Someone with character might make a team based on hunger and intangibles like compete level and physicality (Landeskog).

The move of Hall moving to centre at practice has put my mind to ease that the oiler scouts see the lacking in the draft pool that i see. Its not simply a move to experiment while people are injured…as gags needs that time on a top line to develop as well. The Oilers are doing this to find out what they need in trade IMHO. This draft class will not be able to cure holes for a few years.

–i should point out that i have an extreme bias for north american bred talent. Landeskog is perhaps the only swede and non north american SKATER i would even think of taking. Alot has to do with the fact that he made the jump to the CHL and has proven himself on NA ice… and plays a physical heads up NA game with no soccer like theatrics that are so popular with those babies from accross the seas.
    Need compete level and intensity with a punch in the face to your opponents? Landeskog.
    The talent level of this draft is really lacking in my mind but if you switch the attributes from mainly skill to leadership and copete level… GL wins.
    Despite my bias for NA skaters… Landeskog is the only player in the top 10 ranking by CS that i would keep my pick to draft.

———–
    He has a NMC but i would be interested in talking to C Phillips in OTT. cost to get him would likely be cogs and a 3rd. UFA at years end but frankly we need a shut down dman and Phillips can play his wrong side. Infact Phillips arguably best year was on his wrong side. Seems like a small price to pay if he was willing enough to waive the clause in the first place-thus showing hed likely be interested in a new contract with us for our rebuild.
    Doesnt hurt to ask.
    Just like Malhotra said no to a rebuild. The point is we did ask.

I’ve said it before, I’m really interested to see what the Oilers do. They WILL make some moves. Didn’t know our scouts met this weekend. Thats good news to know they are already preparing. And I love the Chris Phillips idea, but would he re-sign here is a big question. Hopefully he would, because I’m a fan of Phillips and would love to add him. I hope Tambi realizes a player here, a player there and we can be a playoff team, and allow our young prospects to develop in the AHL/ Junior level. We aren’t far off from playoff contention. A shut-down defender (or 2) and a top line center away I think.