Monday Morning Standings

By , January 4, 2011 9:49 am

Keeping it somewhat classy...Happy New Year!

And we are back! The MMS makes its glorious return from eating too much over the holidays.

This will be pretty short however as I will have missed anything that has happened the past 2 or 3 weeks (I can’t even remember when I last did it…which is better than forgetting my password when I came into work).

Canada kicks ass. Oilers not so much. In fact, it was pointed out on twitter that the Oilers have lost every game since Renney’s playoff announcement. Next time he might want to mention hitting the bottom and see how fast we go in the opposite direction.

Canada hit a snag with Sweden (although, Sweden was full value for the win from what I saw, out playing the Canadians), but pulled it out with a dominating win against the Americans and now due to Russia’s upset of the Swedes we now face our true rivals.

One thing is noticeable at this time, is the difference in excitement level between the world juniors and the NHL. It really is kind of boring watching a NHL game now.

Everyone must watch that HBO 24/7. Some of the best TV I have seen in a long time. Makes the Oil Change seem like a bush league production.

OU won the Fiesta Bowl. Seahawks make the playoffs (yeah yeah, losing record…its still the playoffs). Good times all around.

Oh, and JDD played for Canada during the Spengler cup. Wonder what that means for him? (Also Canada finished second in that tourney).

Anyways, on to the standings:

Conference Standings

37 31
NY Islanders
37 30
New Jersey
38 22

OKC Barons Update

Well, looks as though the Barons have dropped quite a bit in the standings, now sitting at 8th in the western conference. I blame this entirely on the call up of Omark, as he got 5 points in two games upon his return. On that note, Giroux is 5th in AHL scoring with 36 points in 37 games, Reddox is currently 10th with 33 points in 37 games and Omark is still hanging around the top 20 (19th) with 31 points in 28 games. Gerber is the 19th ranked goalie.

POTF Pools

I think everyone will notice the big jump by my team in both pools.  Starting to make some noise!

Foiled Again

5 SamusBrattus 70-73-13
6 awesomeness 67-71-18
7 YDNAR 68-76-12
8 dawgtoy 66-78-12
9 Metal Mulisha 60-75-21
10 d0nkey.punch(gr8one) 58-82-16

12 Responses to “Monday Morning Standings”

1. oilinblood says:

I have been enjoying watching the OIlers play this year. For better or worse the team is learning, gelling and evaluating. I havent been on here for a while so i apologize if im repeating past conversations when i bring some issues up:

Regarding the Oilers. First, without putting any possible trades into consideration yet, there is the question i have brought up all year; if the oilers are in a top 5 pick position in January but still have a realistic chance to make a push for the playoffs during the final half… do you as a GM make a trade using the top pick to get help for the long term now so the players can play meaningful games and are shown confidence from the organization or do you trade away some vets who wont be coming back next year and pack it in for the season. Regardless of what anyonelse says, I do believe players pick up on these types of moves. The moves do go a long way to setting the mental tone of the players. Ofcourse players will say the politically correct thing when they see a team firesale but their comments when teams “go for it” speak of truth and not “i better watch what i say”. When teams go for it… Players immediately talk about things like organizational faith in them, confidence, and being ready to step it up for the last half/quarter.
    DO you make a pitch to LA for SMyth (cap dump) and B Schenn using our top pick and then try to get an established Centre for the rest of the year who can play for us short term and increase our ability to make the last half more meaningful? (Theres the chance our top pick would find its way to Calgary for iginla since Smyths departure gives them the room to aquire Iginla). Arnott has a nTC but i cant see him being a very expensive pick up, and also being on an Edmonton team might help his UFA ideas more than being on a contender –and at his cap hit it would be unlikely for him to find a contender this year. bit piece like COgs or Brule for Arnott?

Olivier Roy. WTF? I had a tonne of confidence in this kid but his WJC showing was atrocious.

Lander, Pitlick, VV …. centre doesnt look as weak as people make it seem.
    —–
    Are Hemsky and Penner on this team past 2011-12? if not then we should be shopping them and getting the core cemented.
    —–

The NHL All-star game format. I hear the usual Bettman bashing regarding this new format. As usual, the GB bashers have not paid any attention. The new format is Shanahans idea.

2. oilinblood says:

Also, i have long said that oilers fans – and really canadian hockey fans – are in tough due to the Metz Monopoly on hockey productions. Don Metz of Aquila and Instight sports is one of the most talentless POS in the business and his companys works are really pretty hackish. Unfortunately there will never be other options for oilers fans in particular since Sather pretty much signed over ownership of all the broadcast cable and thus footage from Rexall. I was in Broadcasting with CBC and then Headline Sports starting in HS where i did some HNIC remotes on weekends. I have to state that the production value of what comes out of Aquila/Insight is so weak it would be scrapped by any other reputable production house.
    I was thankful ESPN has put their attention onto the NHL because nowwe may be able to get away from the Metz amateur productions (amateur productions are fine when they are actually done by amateurs and not untalented cast-off pros).

Well, for me, the Oil Change series has been fun to watch. I don’t find it poorly done or hackish. I really look forward to a new episode, like the one tongiht. I would bet it’s one of the most watched specials that hockey fans watch on TSN.

Anyway. I’ll enjoy it.

4. dawgtoy says:

chucker: Well, for me, the Oil Change series has been fun to watch.I don’t find it poorly done or hackish.I really look forward to a new episode, like the one tongiht.I would bet it’s one of the most watched specials that hockey fans watch on TSN.Anyway.I’ll enjoy it.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the Oil Change series IMO. Totally agree!

5. oilinblood says:

I had commented when OIl change was done that its the first Metz production i havent felt was footage rubbed in dog sh&^ and thrown together by a 9 year old editor and tagged with elevator music. I think that has alot to do with KAtz stating that he was evaluating tearing out all the cables in Rexall because the contract was Metz owns the cables and is invoved in the holding rights on behalf of the oilers. That deal has been put under the microscope by Katz and will certainly not carry over to the new building.
    Its amazing how product quality is increased once competition comes into the picture.
    If the rumors are true Glen Sather got a box of cigars.
    *edited due to respect to a few people that might not have wanted me to bring up anything* its all in the past and blh blah bla.
    No more monopoly come the new building. I look forward to TSN doing their own documentarys and real producers of the same ilk as the McKeowns using oilers and nhl material to make masterpieces for the next stage. I always feel shame when i watch the crap 2002 gold rush and others. My 5 year old niece edits better family vacation videos.
    sorry about rant.

I find the Oil Change series … well, I’m not sure exactly. I like the “inside” look it offers, I just feel its obviously edited with the Oilers best foot forward.

I like most of the content, just could use more.

But comparing it to the HBO 24/7, its got nothing on that (and probably so because of the millions less spent on it). That HBO series is awesome, and I’d keep paying money to HBO for something like that every year. Imagine a battle of Alberta one! Even when the teams suck (as did the Caps for the first 2 episodes) they could find interesting stories and such.

Also, the HBO special I feel doesn’t have to pander to the teams to make them look good. It got its go ahead from the NHL and just shows how the teams operate (minus the obvious extremely non-PC stuff that gets said in every dressing room).

The HBO series is great, but not without it’s flaws too. They played up the woeful struggles of the poor Washington Capitals. A team sitting in 5th place isn’t woeful.. yes they went on a skid, but big friggen deal. The HBO writers would commit suicide after watching our season. lol

But outside of that, it was good stuff. Entertaining.

Btw, completely unrelated.. but I watched the beginning of the Flames/Oilers game in standard def because of CBC’s ineptitude. Omg was that ever disgusting. If that isn’t a commercial for HD, I don’t know what is.

9. oilinblood says:

Personally i think every team should be doing a year documentary for their fans. It doesnt actually cost that much considering you have the footage anyways. All it really costs is good editing and post production authoring.
    I dont know if people realize this or not but every frame of nhl content is vaulted and owned by the nhl and their clubs. There are agreements in place for sharing rights due to production cost associated but normally the nhl has 100% rights to use all footage for their own means. Every club and production house involved (tsn, sportsnet etc) vaults their footage. Aquila has every second of Oilers game footage since the WHA stored on site at their production house.

11. oilinblood says:

Steve-O: I liked what the Oilers sent out to the account holders after the cup run. A nice little DVD documentary going over the season quickly and the cup run in more detail. That was good stuff, even more so cause it was free (well other than buying tickets).And @Racki: They wouldn’t commit suicide, they would just spin a tale on the plights of a rebuilding franchise that would make all the other teams want to rebuild.

yup. i wonder where the oilers got that idea.

But anyways… since i can feel that my face is burning red, perhaps i can change topic to the trade issue i brought up?
    considering what signal it sends… if we can make moves to get a young centre, a vet centre, a vet winger and a defensive dman… at the cost of none of our young guys BUT definently our 1st rounder involved…do you do it?
    I am of the belief that yes we need a few holes filled. BUT with our cap space and ability to spend, we are one of very few options teams have to move salary. I believe in playing important games in order to keep a good atmosphere and also to increase development. This group as it stands will not make the playoffs.
    Kings want Iggy, calgary needs to rebuild. Kings need a bit of cap space. Smyth and B Schenn for our top pick which could be a top 3. flip that pick to calgary for iginla and the flames could have two in the top 5 because iggys absence will certainly put them there. Kings dont need to worry about cap and can afford to grab a few UFAs at deadline to fill gaps.
    Arnott from NJ is too much for a contending team to look at renting. Edmonton can use him more than NJ and if he waived his clause he could market himself better in edmonton for the UFA market than in the swamp.
    find a depth blue line shut down dman nearing ufa or with 1 year left on a non contending team.
    Weight even? can still win draws when healthy. UFA at years end. cheap pick ups.
    None of our d can really be upgraded unless we waive them. no one wants any of them.
    Not sure what to do other than i believe in making these games matter and cashing in on our low standing NOW. trade the pick, make the moves and be on full notice that there is no longer a prize for failure. Getting a guy like B Schenn as i said in the summer would make that pick worth moving since hes a top 5 from a few years ago and works in our timeline.

Do production companies have spellcheck or does Aquila have the monopoly on that too? ;)