Hemsky leaves game against Wild early with concussion

By , January 18, 2011 10:45 pm
Stock photo of Hemsky getting hurt

Stock photo of Hemsky getting hurt for the umpteenth time

For those of you that missed the game tonight, Hemsky left midway through the game with what looked to be a concussion.

Buzz around the internet is that it might not have been one that was suffered tonight. Principe first tweeted this:

“Latest on Hemsky concussion may not have happened tonight..tried talking to him Sunday he didn’t feel well.so this could go back game or two.”

Dan Tencer also jumped on the story with: “Renney says Hemsky was ‘out of sorts’…sounds like he had some symptoms heading in that they thought he could play with.”

So how long as he been playing with concussion symptoms? Better yet, why have they been playing him if he was suffering those symptoms? Are we still pushing for a playoff spot? Yah, I didn’t think so.

So does this make the Hemsky poll question a bit more relevant?

With some other injury updates… Dubnyk was absent for tonights game due to the flu. Horcoff sounds like he’s getting a lot closer and should be back soon. Eberle doesn’t sound far off, but he mentioned he was still feeling some pain, so I’d have to think he’s still got a bit before he’s feeling 100% again. I’m kind of hoping that they just hold off until after the all star break, and don’t rush him back.

9 Responses to “Hemsky leaves game against Wild early with concussion”

2. hemmerlady says:

Racki: Oh btw, I think this seals it.. Hemsky likely won’t be at the All Star game this year, you’d have to figure. It isn’t entirely out of question though, but if I were the Oilers, I’d say “no way”.. especially after Horcoff got hurt in it last year.

Yeah, fuckit.
    Don’t let him go unless Hem will play with gear made of bubble wrap. [goes without saying I don’t mean that as a slight, the guy has some serious luck trouble that I can identify with. I picked him in my pool, and this week’s trade deadline was today.]

3. NorwegianOiler says:

Dat’s trrible!

The circumstances of this situation, given Renney’s remarks on Hemsky’s status prior to the game, somehow makes me think of Souray…who claimed he was forced to play early.

Simple, distant, quasi-journalism would dictate a story here. Is there a culture of pressing players into service too early when recovering from injury/illness?

New Jersey, watch your heads as we plunge by you soon.

Damn, hope he gets back soon. I was thrilled he was picked for the ASG, but I don’t think he should be going anymore. I hope it isn’t too serious, and New Jersey is gonna have some company down bottom pretty soon!!! Wonder who wil replace Hemsky…..

Well it sounded like Horcoff wasn’t TOO far away… so I would imagine that when he’s back, that will help things. Hall will probably be moved off center in that case.

It’s pretty amazing isn’t it? I’ve never seen a team with so much ongoing injury trouble, controversy and poor play. Never.

As for him playing, yeah, it makes you wonder about why he was playing. It is possible they didn’t suspect a concussion too. I hope that’s the case.

What a sad state of affairs.

Yah really, it did cross my mind that this could just be the media playing up something that really isn’t there… they love their controversies. But as Renney said, lots has happened in the last few games to Hemsky that could have led to a concussion. Too bad Hemsky didn’t see the Cogliano-effect where several smacks to the face resulted in better play.

8. Oiler420 says:

Why the frank was Hemmer playing after a concussion to begin with?
    I knew something was way off with his game in the last couple… I (like noroiler) was reminded of the Souray situation when i heard Renney had prior knowelage of this.

Well thankfully, not much truth to the allegations floating around that made it sound like the Oilers pushed Hemsky to play through injury and/or knew about a potential concussion.. from the EJ:

Head coach Tom Renney said the winger didn’t show any of the typical signs before the Wild game and had not indicated to the medical staff that he had any concussion symptoms. He told athletic therapist T.D. Forss after the first period that he didn’t feel right but that he was going to go back out.

Hemsky played one shift in the second priod before he was pulled from the game.

“He didn’t give us any reason to feel like he could not play. He wanted to go back out last night and we held him out,” said Renney. “We’re pretty prudent with our people here.”

Further on…

“There comes a point in time where you have to listen to your athlete and he has to describe what he’s feeling,” said Renney. “Sometimes, we have to step in and protect them from themselves because they just want to play.”

Hemsky will not play Thursday, and once the team has a better idea of how long he might be out, a decision will be made on his status for the NHL all-star game.