GDT Oilers 4, Coyotes 3 – Game 48 – 2011-01-25 @ 7:00 PM – SNET W

Edmonton Oilers vs. Phoenix Coyotes
logo AT logo
14-25-8 Record 24-16-9
Location: Jobing.com Arena
Date: January 25, 2011 @ 7:00 PM MST
TV: SNETW

The Oilers head on a short road trip with stops in Phoenix and Dallas before the Hemsky/Eberle-less All-star break. The Oilers have been on a horrible skid, allowing the Devils to catch up in standings. We currently sit 1 point higher in the standings (albeit with 1 game in hand). The Oilers are 2-7-1 in their last 10 while the Coyotes are 6-3-1 in their last 10. The Oilers have been playing some better hockey than their record would suggest, but when you’re a team this young, it’s hard to get over that hump that is the difference between a loss and a win in most games in today’s NHL. I think they’ll win this one though

Prediction: 4-2 Oilers

PROJECTED LINES

Hall – Horcoff – Penner
Paajarvi – Gagner – Omark
Reddox – Cogliano – Jones
Jacques – Fraser – Stortini

Peckham – Gilbert
Smid – Petry
Vandermeer – Foster

Dubnyk
Khabibulin

LIVE CHAT

(Please post in the comments until the game starts, just for posterity’s sake)..

[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

8 Responses to “GDT Oilers 4, Coyotes 3 – Game 48 – 2011-01-25 @ 7:00 PM – SNET W”

1. Trogdor says:

You need to check the sunshine and rainbows at the door with your predictions. Start predicting some losses and maybe we’ll start winning.

I’ve predicted several losses. I think the last game, I predicted a loss.

Edit: Actually I see that I was bang on (for once)… successfully predicted a 3-2 (SO) loss. Given that I predicted not just the score but also that it would be in the shootout, I think that makes up for me being inaccurate 99.9999% of the time. Or if you prefer, it gives me an Eklund Twatwaffle-like success rate.

3. Trogdor says:

I’m comfortable with that comparison.

4. Scarriere says:

The game looks pretty important for Phoenix. They’re in the thick of some early jousting for a playoff spot. But I can’t ever say that the Oilers are gonna lose.
    5-2 for our Team.
    Go Oilers!

5. hemmerlady says:

Lalala. Winnity goodness.

Not the prettiest goals tonight, but the Oil battled pretty hard and deserved the win.

Our top line was dominant tonight. They scored two, not a lot really dominant, but they could have easily scored more. Both goals actually were a little lucky. I thought they really controlled the play when they were out there though. Hall continues to get thrashed around, but keeps on bouncing back up.

Also, I just want to say I’m starting to buy into Omark a bit more now. That guy is a lot better without the puck than I gave him credit for before. I’m not so sure that’s too true in the defensive zone as I haven’t been focusing on that, but he creates a lot of turnovers in the offensive zone due to hard battle and a strong compete level. I think in a few years he’ll be a real gem for us, so I’m hoping we keep him around. He’s getting better with each game.

7. NorwegianOiler says:

Finally a win to go with a solid effort. I am pleased that our compete level is becoming more and more consistent throughout the year. The really dreadful roll-over-and-die games are farther and farther apart.

I have watched Omark closely too, and his forecheck is better than his defensive coverage. He is a bulldog on the puck, as I have seen him prior to this season, which allows him to hang on to the puck and create offense when others would lose it or dump it along the boards.

Hall’s desire to win is outstanding. I can’t wait to see him in the playoffs in the future. He should be demonic to play against.

Also, time to change the goaltending plan for the remainder of the season and allow Dubnyk to start many more games. He is earning it – although his competition has been mediocre at best.

I wish Pääjärvi could get lucky and pot a couple of goals in a game one of these days. I would dread to see him go down the Cogliano-road of bad touch around the net. He’s getting big chances almost every game, better put them away!

Yah that’s what I like about both Hall and Omark.. they both seem to have very strong compete levels. That is very refreshing after suffering through watching players be very complacent here. It’s like early 2000s Moreau with actual talent. Hall is getting his ass kicked pretty handily, but he bounces back up and keeps going. Hopefully this won’t lead to wear and tear.