Omark, or Nomark?

By , December 6, 2010 4:49 pm
From one of the other many times Hemsky was hurt..

From one of the other many times Hemsky was hurt..

Today Tom Renney announced that he thinks Ales Hemsky might be out for as long as a month. If you figure him out for at least a month, that’s at least a dozen games of action for one of our prospects in Oklahoma City.

Do we do it? Oklahoma City is currently sitting at 4th in the Western Conference, and just a shade out of 3rd. Omark is currently the leading scorer in Oklahoma with 26 points in 25 games (13 goals, 13 assists, +6). Omark is 8th overall in scoring in the AHL, and just 4 points behind the current leader (Andrew Gordon of Hershey and Dustin Jeffrey of Wilkes-Barre/Scranton). Reddox is another logical choice with 13 goals and 10 assists in as many games, and a +11 rating. But the question is… should they do it, and if so, who?

One has to think hard as to whether they should do it because they have a pretty good team in Oklahoma this year, and they don’t want to upset that balance. Omark is a big piece of the puzzle down there, as is Reddox, but they are getting a fairly healthy balance of scoring, even from unlikelier names such as Colin McDonald.

You also have to ask, do we bring up Omark and put him in a top six role? Or do you bring up Reddox, and allow Jones to remain in the top 9 since he’s doing well, and put Reddox on the 4th line (if anywhere)?

It’ll be a tough choice for the Oilers. Me, I’m going to side with the bandwagon in favor of giving Omark opportunity. There won’t be many better chances than this.

Last year the Oilers picked apart Springfield and it cost them their season, in my belief. So I think this year they need to bear that in mind and be respectful of their farm team’s needs. If Omark is called up and the team just can’t get it together, he’s going to have to go down (unless Omark is absolutely on fire here). The same can be said of Reddox, as well.

It’ll be a tough choice.

26 Responses to “Omark, or Nomark?”

The oilers don’t NEED to call omark up so I wonder if they will. Calling him up benefits him. Not sure it benefits the oilers that much right now. It definitely doesn’t benefit Okc. So for that reason, im skeptical that they do it

As per one of Lowetide’s posts, he mentioned that the Oilers were going to call up either Petry or Plante (which makes sense from a rebuild point of view) but decided to call up Belle as a stick-tap saying good job.

While it might not makes sense to call up Omark, if anyone deserves the “good job” its him.

3. Trogdor says:

I know what you mean about not upsetting the farm but reality is they exist to develop players for the big club and for call ups when the injuries hit. Hemsky is a big piece of the Oiler puzzle and we need someone other than MacIntyre to fill the void. Hopefully its nowhere near last year for man games, but if we need to pillage OK city then grab a pitch fork and light the torches.

Trogdor: I know what you mean about not upsetting the farm but reality is they exist to develop players for the big club and for call ups when the injuries hit.Hemsky is a big piece of the Oiler puzzle and we need someone other than MacIntyre to fill the void.Hopefully its nowhere near last year for man games, but if we need to pillage OK city then grab a pitch fork and light the torches.

Well the thing though is your players aren’t going to develop as well if they’re on a shit team that doesn’t make the playoffs. So while it is in your best interests to make sure the NHL team is thriving, the same can be said of the minor league team. And the question is, is Omark going to make that big of a difference at the NHL level over say Jones, who is currently producing? (Omark obviously has way more talent, but he’s still unproven at the NHL level)

Jones is the guy who’ll remain bumped up in the top 9 if there is no call up. Jones’ promotion doesn’t necessarily mean we’ve got a plugington mooching top line minutes either. He’ll get some extra minutes, but Horcs’ line will bear the brunt of the load, with the rest falling to the Penner/Cogliano/Brule line and then also the Paajarvi/Gagner/Jones line (assuming status quo).

I’d like to see Omark up here though, that would be my preference. But I can see why the Oilers would mull it over quite a bit and not jump right on it. They’re winning right now with Jones in the top 9. He’s got 2 goals (one in each game) since Hemsky got pulled again for the groin injury. So things seem to be working in that regard so far. I am sometimes a bit of an “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” kind of guy, although my excitement over Omark and my belief that he deserves some reward for his play take over a bit.

Not sure what has been said yet, haven’t had time to read because I should be doing homework but don’t fix what isn’t broken.

6. LJPD says:

CALL UP OMARK!!!!

7. hemmerlady says:

no hemmer in the lineup makes hemmerlady cry :’(

I’d be interested to see Omark play upstairs some. Mgmt has to have its reasons if they aren’t calling him up. It’s been cool to see the Oil Change segments to see a little bit of what goes on behind closed doors, what the bigwigs are thinking.

I think he should be called up just for asset management. The guy deserves it based on play, we have a top six guy out and he needs to be shown that his good play is noticed. I don’t want another Mikhnov/Schremp type situation where he just says f this and goes back to Europe because he wasn’t given any call up time.

Yah that’s something I’m concerned about too, Chucker. I’d really like to see him here. There’s enough excuses for him not to be here though. But I really hope we get to see him for a bit here. This year is the year of our youth, right? Might as well give him opportunity now. Especially considering that opportunities may be few and far between, given there is some good top-six talent up here already.

For some reason I kept thinking he was 5’9 170lbs and that was being generous but apparently I’ve seen him posted as 5’10 now and 190lbs+? I know its only an inch but when your on that side of the scale it can be monumental. Is Omark going to be the new Hemsky? His attitude says no but his highlight reel goals on youtube says he’ll be better. I wonder if management doesn’t bring him up, will they use him as a trading asset?

11. john says:

The whole bring up/don’t bring up Omark thing is very interesting to say the least as we are all waiting to see how the Oilers manage him. I imagine that part of the potential concern in bringing Omark up is what if he plays really well then they ship him down again as soon as Hemsky is healthy again? How would that affect Omark & imagine the fan backlash that would ensue. I would like to see how Linus could do up here but would almost rather wait until he could slide into a permanent roster spot if he earned it instead of being rewarded with a plane ticket to OKC.

As far as whether or not OKC should suffer medoicrity for the sake of bolstering the big team goes well, I think we all know who pays the bills & calls the shots! If it was up to me though I would sacrifice some Oiler success for the good of the Barons since they are a new club who need a winning team to fill the seats & build a loyal fan base. Mostly I just really want the Oilers to get a top 3 or 4 pick though so it’s easy for me to live with some losses up here ;)

Is Hemsky the new Gaborik? Sublime talent, but never able to showcase it because he’s always injured?

13. mrgod2u says:

14. otto says:

Maybe it’s because I haven’t really been following the Barons but I’d rather see him get some time in the NHL (because he deserves it) then see him left down there so they can win more.

mrgod2u: Agreed with the majority of that. Although the last line I disagree with a little bit. I think one thing people often forget is that a good farm team often makes for better developed players when they’re called up to the show. So a good farm team directly benefits our NHL team (and I’m glad that Tambellini is well aware of this). It’s not about doing Oklahoma City a favor (which is nice, and all), it’s about doing the future of our organization a big favor.

That said though, I am in agreement that Omark should get a chance here for a bit. I’d even consider sending down someone like Jacques, since he’s been pretty flat so far since coming back. There is a small risk of losing him to waivers though, and I’m not sure the Oil brass would want that. He’s really only effective as a physical player, and that’s been absent for the most part.

16. john says:

mrgod2u: I think Omark should see some call up time. Otherwise he may sour on the process and then he is no longer producing for our AHL team, or worse is bringing down the other guys that are trying to develop. A team can “go to shit” for a lot of reasons other than that their skilled players got taken to the big show.As to what we do if he shines when Hemsky comes back…? There are any number of non-productive pylons on this team that could (should) be waived. Speed and skill are winning us these games, even our little guys are hitting and fore-checking like demons. Omark in that environement could step up and be an amazing forward and develop into a top 6 quicker. We need to focus on the real team here. Do we want to win the Calder cup this year at the cost of Stanley in 3 years? 60% of the guys that play for our farm will never see any time in the NHL beyond an emergency injury call-up. While having a good base to develop players is important, it is never more important than the destiny of the new Oilers Dynasty.

17. Old Skool says:

Reddox is playing very well only because he has Omark playing with him…..which says 2 things…..1)if Liam gets linemates with some skill, he can produce. 2) Bring up Omark…He has earned it. Omark will also pack his bags and head back to Europe at the 1st available opportunity if the Oilers don’t start showing this guy some respect. He was pissed went they sent him down, even though he was performing and now he’s performing in the AHL and he has earned a month long look.

18. Old Skool says:

john:
    I hear what you are trying to say but first of all I can’t believe that the Oilers future ability to win Stanley Cups hinges on whether or not Omark gets NHL time this season. He needs to be brought in when he can be a consistant contributor to really help the team which brings me to my second point. The idea of bringing Omark in & skidding a roster player sounds good until you realise the difficulty in making that happen. I think we all believe that Linus is top six player but we already have a plethora of capable top six players. If Omark took one of those positions who do you get rid of? Hemsky obviously holds one of those positions when he gets back, Gags is playing too well to demote, Penner is creating room & scoring some timely goals with his line, Horcoff is not only playing pretty well but actually being a real captain & mentor. The last 2 spots have been filled by a rotation of Paajarvi, Hall, & Eberle who have all been doing good things & needing top line minutes.That puts the Oilers in a position of either moving down an already productive player to the 3rd line (which is redundant) or sticking Omark down on the 3rd or 4th lines meaning very little playing time & a waste of his talent. It’s a difficult decision to make for sure & like I’ve said before I’m glad I’m not the GM!

Put J.F.Jacques back in the minors where he belongs and put Jones back on the 4th line with Storitini and Fraser. Then turn Omark loose with Brule and Cogs. It’s a small line indeed, but Brule plays the body and Omark doesn’t seem to mind rough play at all.

So there is a rumor floating around (credit originally to Sandra Blood on Oilers Nation, which Lowetide pointed out in a recent post) that the Oilers have put in a claim on Todd White (waived by the NYR yesterday) and that’s why no one has been called up. I actually can see the truth in that. I’m not really sure I’m too big a fan of that idea, since White is a pretty small player and long in the tooth now at 35 years old. His better years are definitely behind him, and he isn’t exactly a replacement for Hemsky at this stage of the game. Perhaps he is a replacement for Jones on the 4th line though, since he’s been bumped up. Todd White is a decent drawman though, as he was 53.8% on over 700 draws last year with the Thrashers and 50.6% on over 1300 draws the year before. Those are good numbers, but I’m not sure what else he really brings to the table.

His PK time has been on the decline (about 45 secs/game the last 2 seasons in Atlanta). His production dropped a lot without Kovalchuk. He is a small player. He costs a fair chunk of change ($2.6M). Sounds perfect for the Oilers (sarcasm). I wouldn’t be surprised if we did it, given how our front office often lives in the past. But on the other hand, there is something to be said about a veteran player here with the kids… they often have something to teach the young kids.

Really though, I think they could have done a lot better than Todd White… so if that’s who they’re after, I’m a little disappointed. Unless they’re claiming him to send him to the farm… however, a) that would be expensive for a farm player and b) he’d have to reclear waivers for everyone after us, and the NYR.

20. john says:

Old skool, I didn’t even bother mentioning Brule or Jones because Jones is a temporary experiment (just Renney sending a message saying “Look guys, if you play hard enough anyone can play on the 1st line”) & Brule will continue to float between the top 3 lines. My point was that even without Jones & Brule we still have 7 much deserving players; Hemsky, Penner, Gags, Horcoff, Paajarvi, Hall, & Eberle who are already fighting for top 6 minutes & even Cogs shows flashes of 2nd line material. Add Omark & now you have 8, possibly 9 capable forwards who need top 6 minutes!

Racki; as for the White thing it’s a little puzzling to me too. His only redeeming quality is the FO% but surely that can’t be reason enough to bring a new guy in can it? Maybe it’s like you eluded to as far as being part of some roster shuffling between the big club & the farm. Oh well, at the end of the day Tambi & Lowe will do whatever they want & leave the fans to guess why lol.

Todd White cleared waivers, so no truth to that rumor.

LJPD: CALL UP OMARK!!!!

This got caught in the spam filter. Not sure why.. perhaps the spam filter is scared of all capitals, or exclamation marks. Sorry about that! But welcome to the site, anyway.

23. mrgod2u says:

Hey Racki, I get you for sure. About the farm team, I am not necessarily saying we should call up Omark and tell him to get a realtor in Edmonton… But I am saying he deserves a chance to show that he was the wrong guy to send down. If he comes up and plays like an NHL’er for the games maybe then we look at the future. He is doing well in the AHL, and may rise to the challenge and play good enough to stick. So leaving him there when he could develop even better here is ultimately a move that could hurt the Oilers if he gets discouraged or leaves etc.
    Whether or not keeping him there to help develop the potential 4th line grinders is more of a benefit is hard to say. Hopefully we will never again be in the position where we have to completely decimate the farm team just to fill our lines. Last season was exceptionally bad, and hopefully we have moved beyond that. In a perfect world the farm team should be able to absorb the hit when we grab one skill guy here and there as needed, just not the top two forward lines and D pairings all at the same time…

Yah I wasn’t saying don’t call up Omark (in fact I was saying we SHOULD call up Omark), I’m just saying we have to be really careful about decimating (as you say) the farm team. So it might be OK to bring him up, but I hope we don’t have to pillage them again like last year, as that’s neither good for them or for us. Management has to be really aware about what is going on in the farm once Omark is called up though. I think that’s why no one has been called up just yet. The NHL team is doing just fine without any call up, and OKC is also doing great. i.e., “if it ain’t broke…”

Calling up Omark at this point is a favor to Omark, but might negatively impact OKC in a pretty bad way without really impacting the Oilers much (but it might not too). So I can see why they haven’t jumped on the phone to call him up, is all I’m saying.

25. Haboiler says:

Don’t forget that Omark has an out next year that he can bail on the AHL and go back to SEL if he doesn’t make the big club. I’d say he will get the call up once the OKC game is over tonite. If he doesn’t get the call, I’d say he isn’t in the plans here in the future. He deserves to be rewarded for going down and adjusting to the NA game, even if its for a few weeks.

26. Mr.Majestyk says:

Call up Schremp! I mean Omark!

I think management needs to identify which players they want to be a part of the long term plan and then build around that. Omark might not be part of the future of the Oilers and if thats the case I see no reason to call him up. I personally think he’s earned a callup based on his performance in the AHL.