Oilers assign Omark to Oklahoma City / Belle Recalled

By , December 31, 2010 12:47 pm

General Manager Steve Tambellini announced today the Edmonton Oilers have assigned left-winger Linus Omark to Oklahoma City of the American Hockey League.

Had to know this was coming. My advice to Omark… work on playing a team game rather than Linus Omark Hockey. Take a lesson from Rob Schremp. There is potential there though, but he has to become a better team player.

UPDATE: Shawn Belle has been recalled for the Oilers. I figured they’d call someone up, but wasn’t sure if it would be a d-man. Good to see. I assume Belle and Petry will be reunited. I’m interested in how the two fair together at the NHL level. Could be risky to pair them up though at this level.

13 Responses to “Oilers assign Omark to Oklahoma City / Belle Recalled”

I think we new this was coming. There is a player there, but at the moment, the player isn’t aware he has linemates. Sorry Linus… work on being a team player and then you’ll get another call-up, I’m sure.

I hope this also means Horcoff is back.

This is good news for the Barons too.

True, true and true!

Yeah, Omark has NHL hands and playmaking ability, but right now he’s playing a more junior/European style game that would allow for you to basically play by yourself without using your line mates.

I expect both sides will now be even more clear on what needs to be done for Linus to stay at the NHL level. Hopefully he doesn’t just look at his points and think he’s ready.

4. dawgtoy says:

Yes, I agree he needs to play team hockey, but given the state of affairs that lesson can be learned here. Renney is the perfect coach to teach him the lessons he needs to learn. He can play the game plain and simple, and we have the potential to develop a hell of a talent, yet Jacques remains?

Dawg: comparing apples to Oranges though. Jacques doesn’t have the talent level, for sure. But he is a team player, however, and that’s the statement Renney is making. I think if Jacques didn’t need to clear waivers, he would be sent down. It’s partly about asset management and partly about sending a message to a player that doesn’t get this is a team sport.

I think the better comparables to Omark are Cogliano and Brule. But both of those guys get that this is a team sport, even if their skill level these days has been questionable.

6. dawgtoy says:

I’d say given they both play wing and Jacques is holding down a roster spot and Omark is not it is apt. Furthermore if Jacques has to clear waivers….oh well, he’d clear waivers based on the fact that he is a great big marshmallow, who this year appears afraid to get injured. The message might be that Oilers management needs to find a way to deal with these type of players, I was not a fan of Schrempf, but he is playing on the third line for the Islanders and getting PP time. This is where Omark should be playing with Brule and Pääjärvi. This is based on the fact the both the third and fourth lines have been largely ineffective since Horcoff got injured. He has the skill to play in the NHL and should be learning these lessons here, not OKC. My belief is politics and a need to have OKC do well this season has more to do with this decision then this team player thing. If he starts to put the puck in the net, you watch what kind of team player he becomes.

7. dawgtoy says:

– I’m puzzled as to why, exactly, Linus Omark got his ticket back to Oklahoma City today at the same time J.F. Jacques is still here. I’m not saying Omark can’t use more seasoning, but what has Jacques shown? From ON http://oilersnation.com/2010/12/31/a-new-year-better-days-ahead

Shawn Belle has been recalled from OKC, odds are to fill Whitney’s spot. Glad to see we can get an extended look at both these guys.

Dawg: Sure, politics probably do play a part in it. I would say where the politics play a part though is in that Hall, Paajarvi and Eberle can do no wrong. I don’t really think Omark has earned his way on the roster at all though. I’m pretty content with him returning to AHL. Jacques ability right now is pretty undebatable… he’s not been physical enough this year (although I think he’s getting there, and maybe that’s why the team has some patience in him), and aside from being a decent skater, he has really no other assets than his physicality. I think the health issues make him too big of a risk to keep him around.

However, that said, I just don’t feel that Jacques and Omark are really competing for jobs. MacIntyre, Stortini and Jacques are competing for a spot alongside Fraser and Jones. I don’t really think that impacts Omark at all in any way. IMHO, it’s the same as targetting Strudwick as a player stealing a roster spot from Omark. Yes, they’re both wingers (JFJ and Omark).. but there’s little to no chance Jacques is going to hit the 3rd line, and little to no chance that Omark is going to hit the 4th. And in all likelihood, Jacques will be in the line up when neither Stortini or MacIntyre are… so yah, that’s why I don’t think Jacques being any here has anything to do with Omark not being here. I think Omark just isn’t ready yet. The guy needs some work, and there is something to be said about being able to have all that ice time to do it, while also being free of the microscope.

Anyways, if Omark and Jacques are competing for anything, it’s for spots in the press box.

One more thing (which will likely turn into a novel) on the subject:

I can definitely agree that Jacques hasn’t played well enough to deserve a spot in the line up either. Right now I think they’re trying to figure out who really should be on that 4th line though, as Stortini hasn’t done himself too many favors this year either.

If Jacques goes, that would free up a roster spot for Omark, yes.. so when I say (if I said it that way) they’re not competing for roster spots, I mean game roster (i.e. the line-up). As far as competing for line-up spots, I think that is a competition between Brule, Cogliano and Omark. To a lesser extent, you could put Paajarvi in there (but that’s where politics comes in). Asset management says though that the guy to leave is the guy that we won’t lose when we send him down.

Without a doubt though, the following players all need to be better than they have for most of the season: Jacques, Stortini, MacIntyre, Brule, Cogliano, Foster, Fraser.

Oh and O’Marra is another guy who could have been sent down, but I’d prefer him over Omark right now.

11. dawgtoy says:

We are both splitting a fine hair because I mostly feel the same as you. The difference for me is that I feel the best players, or players with the most potential at this point should be playing. That said, I feel someone like Omark and for that matter O’Marra deserve the opportunities to play and be given a fair tryout to make the team. That doesn’t mean a string of three or four games, they need a fair trial. Politics aside, how long did it take Hall to finally spread his wings…10 games maybe. Yes he’s younger,but it’s the same idea and it’s a huge jump from Swedish Elite league or Ahl to the big league. I feel Schrempf never really received his fair kick at the cat, and I don’t want to see it happen again with Omark. Given the injuries and where we are destined to finnish the season, what harm is there in it? Let them audition properly for the position, if it doesn’t work, then at least you know you tried, and we still get a lottery pick out of the deal. Same goes for Belle and so many others, let’s find out what they have now. Play Dubber, play Belle, play Omark and O’Marra. We know what Brule Jacques Stortini Smac Cogs Foster Struddy bring to the table, let’s see what the others have before someone makes a rash decision and we pull another Schrempf or Satan or Brodziak….you get my point I think.

Yes I definitely do. I think Omark could fit in well enough here if he could grasp that he has teammates. Maybe Renney is sending a hard message to him to change that he wasn’t getting before? I don’t know. You are right though, that he could fit in well here, but he’d have to change a few things. No player is perfect, but a player has to buy into a system and try and stick to it… if they’re doing their own thing… well I guess they get sent down.

Like I said, I do think there are politics involved, but I also think Renney has a bit of a belief that if you stick to the system, it’ll protect you… if not, then you will be benched during a game.. benched the next game.. or demoted.

13. dawgtoy says:

Pääjärvi gets the scratch tonight, and my buddy JF is in…houray!