Monday Morning Standings

By , December 7, 2010 9:09 am

As requested. Plus Mad Men is a killer show.

NOTE: Today’s GDT is below.
In Oiler news, Hemsky is out a month. That is not good. Hall was 3rd star of the week. Plus 4 wins in a row. Not last overall. Those are all good news. So I’m going to have to say it was a good week. There is some talk of calling up someone, but no one is mentioning whether it will be Reddox or Omark.

In other NHL news, Crosby is being ridiculous. It’d be nice if he could share some talent with the rest of the league.

Kaleta beating the shit out of Dorsett. Great fight. Once I can find the youtube I’ll link it here.

If you have HBO, set your PVR’s to Tuesday or Wednesday night as the 24/7 re: the Pens and Caps starts. Should be good stuff. (again, once I have the actual details I’ll update this)

Rumor is that cap will be going up 3 mil. So will the floor. I didn’t realize that the Oilers are at the salary floor (not counting Souray obviously). I suppose that’s better than being a cap team and last.

Guerin retired.

25 22
New Jersey
27 18
NY Islanders
25 15

OKC Barons Update

4th in conference, Omark 10th in scoring with 26 in 25, trailed by Reddox and Giroux on the team with 23 and 22 respectively.

Pools

5 dawgtoy 49-50-5
6 mrs.gr80ne 46-47-11
7 Racki’s Champions 44-49-11
8 Layin Pipe 44-52-8
9 d0nkey.punch(gr8one) 40-53-11
10 Metal Mulisha 36-53-15

45 Responses to “Monday Morning Standings”

The Quebec fiasco is already one week old? Wow, time is sure flying here during the last part of school. Its a pretty tight bout in the pool for the middle chunk there, I need a damn goalie.

I have some suggestions for MMS girls, I’ve mentioned them in the general discussion as well but since this thread is up I mine as well post here too.

Suggestion One:

Suggestion Two:

It’s times like these where it feels like the club could finish a hell of a lot higher than a draft lotto pic but then again come draft day I’m sure we’ll have a few assets to trade away if we wanted a high pick…

I like to see Calgary that low in the standings after all we’ve been through but I hope they can improve to finish 9th overall in the Western Conference, what would only be better than that is if Edmonton finished 8th.

2. MetalOil says:

THN is projecting Eberle to take the Calder this year. They even project him to hit 70pts but I think that may be a little bit optimistic.

Yeah, as much as it is very gratifying to see the lames down and out, I’d rather they rally and finish just outside of the playoffs with a mid level pick.

As for our success, I like it, but yeah, it would be great to get another lottery pick for sure. Couturier would be fantastic.

zackman35: Chucker: I think that is a lot more likely since our number one center could be out for eight weeks. And Hemmer is out as well, I’m guessing we’ll see at least one call up with some offensive power. I think it will be good for the development of Gags since he’ll most likely take on the role. It’s going to be interesting to see how they fair now since last night they were still playing so well in the third. And Jones is on fire!

Well, Omark and Reddox already have chemistry, same with O’Marra. Perhaps Omark and O’Marra would be the right fits here. I think so.

Hall Gagner Eberle
    Penner Cogliano Brule
    Paajarvi O’Marra Omark
    Jones Fraser Jacquestini

???

Hall Penner Eberle
    Paajarvi Gagner Omark
    Jones Brule Cogliano
    Jacques O’Marra Stortini

gr8one: That lineup looks about right Racki, and based on what the coaches have done so far a very likely one.In my mind though, I thonk Omark needs to be in the top 6 to be effective, and I still think it’s a farce that Brule is slotted as a winger and Cogs is a center, so taking that in to account, what I’d LIKE to see is, oh, and Fraser can suck it too…Hall Penner EberlePaajarvi Gagner OmarkJones Brule CoglianoJacques O’Marra Stortini

Yeah, the Cogliano experiment is ruining two players at the same time. Brule and Cogs are both suffering because of this insistance that he become an NHL centreman. Brule already has those skills. Put him on the wing, make him comfy, wait until his stats look good and trade his ass. I don’t get why they put Brule out to rot on the wing.

9. Oiler420 says:

Racki – Those are the best projected lines Ive seen considering Hemmer and Horcs are out. I sure hope your right. I dont neccissarily think Omark needs to be in the top 6 to be effective. If we’re rolling 3 scoring lines and the 3rd line has some offensive skill, I dont see why Omark couldnt be on the 3rd line. But plugging him with grinders is a total waste, agree with that.

Gr8one/Chucker/Oiler420:

Yah, personally I’m absolutely against Cogliano at center, but it’s obvious that he is this year’s crazy, moronic lab experiment, and he will be at center so long as he’s in the lineup… so I’ve just kind of accepted it. As far as Omark needing to be in the top six, he’s with Paajarvi.. he would still get decent minutes if Renney rolls the top 3 lines pretty continuously.

11. Oiler420 says:

I agree with Cogs not suited for the middle. I especially like how you have Penner as the top line centre, it gives us the much needed size and skill. Ive wanted to see this experiment for a long time now. Hes decent at draws too. Makes alot of sense.

12. As per twitter omark and o’marra called up

steveo's blackberry: As per twitter omark and o’marra called up

Yeah, just saw this on Millhouse‘s twat.

LMAO!!! Just noticed how you guys put in the cyberlink to him nickname. Gold.

Calgary has placed Ryan Stone on waivers… didn’t get much in the way of points for us last year, but I thought he fit in well and gave us some OK toughness. I would love it if we could scoop him up and put him on our farm team (he’d have to clear waivers for everyone after us in the line, plus Calgary though).

My take is we don’t claim him. But the timing on the waiver is pretty good. Wrong player though. Too bad it wasn’t Ryan Potulny. He would come in handy.

Tencer figures the lines for what I posted above, with one small change, for the most part (Jones and Brule swapped):

Hall Gagner Eberle
    Penner Cogliano Jones
    Paajarvi-O’Marra-Omark
    Jacques-Fraser-Brule

16. MetalOil says:

Too Bad about Horcoff. I had Peckham as 1/4 MVP but Horcs was 2nd on my list. He provided a cushion for Hall & Ebs with his strong 2-way play and that is gonna be really tough to replace.

MetalOil: Gotta Say I am fast becoming a fan of Ryan Jones. You can just tell how much he loves playing for the Oilers and how much energy he brings to the team. What a great waiver pick up!!!Too Bad about Horcoff. I had Peckham as 1/4 MVP but Horcs was 2nd on my list. He provided a cushion forHall & Ebs with his strong 2-way play and that is gonna be really tough to replace.

Steve-O was bugging me today. Towards the beginning of the season, I had a pro-Ryan Jones post written up that got scrapped because he just couldn’t get it together early on. Now Jones is doing well, and Steve-O joked that I could release that article now.

Really I think that he’s a mediocre 4th liner, but a strong 3rd liner. He’s a bit of a hybrid player, but leaning towards having some offensive talent still and the grit for dirty goals. On the 4th line, he’s a bit limited in his role, and I don’t think it works to his assets as well as you’d think.

I almost had to laugh yesterday, but it’s great how focused when on the ice and absolutely thrilled he gets when he puts up a point.

Really sucks about Horcoff though, yes. But we’ll see what impact it has on Hall and Eberle. Horc is a solid two-way player and his offense seemed pretty good this year, but he’s not anywhere on the same plane offensively as Sam Gagner. So these 3 could explode. But.. they could also implode defensively. Guess we’ll see. I think all 3 guys are resilient enough to battle through anything though.

18. mrgod2u says:

Maybe we should make the whole team grow them… Photoshop assignment Racki?

19. MetalOil says:

mrgod2u: I too hope that the kids can keep scoring without Horcoff, maybe someone with slightly better hands can make good use of the time with them, we certainly don’t have mentor of his calibre to sit with them, and that could hurt us.
    I think that Jones is showing what a difference heart makes in a player, he gives his all and loves every second out there… If he had a bit more skill he would remind me of another mullet-head.Maybe we should make the whole team grow them… Photoshop assignment Racki?

Jones actually reminds me more of Mike Grier.

Ya Mike Grier isn’t a bad comparison, actually. Except that Grier is a lot stronger in his own zone (but offensively/energy-wise they seem similar).

Racki: Millhouse figures the lines for what I posted above, with one small change, for the most part (Jones and Brule swapped):Hall Gagner EberlePenner Cogliano JonesPaajarvi-O’Marra-OmarkJacques-Fraser-Brule

Swap Brule with Cogliano and I’d be happy. We already have beaten that to death though.

I’m thinking Stone got waived because his play just isn’t what it was before he destroyed his knee. I pass on him now. Too bad though; I really liked him for the first part of the year last season until he got hurt.

As far as the kids go, I expect they will be just fine. As Racki said, Gagner is a better puck distributor than Horcs, who is actually pretty darn good, but maybe more skills with the puck than Horc. The challenge will be puck retrieval and defensive coverage for that line. Having said that, I expect lots of experimenting going on and would be all centres play with the Ebs and Hall, including O’Marra, as for what makes the most balance once the metal hits the ice.

It’s kind of nice to be looking forward to the kids coming up meshing with the kids already here. What a difference a year makes.

Chucker: I know you meant to say Stone, but yes, Ryan Stone was waived, not Ryan Jones, of course. “You missed in the shootout last night!!! … *waived*”

I’m also interested in O’Marra with the two kids.. cause you just never know who might have chemistry together, right?

Fixed!! :P

24. mrgod2u says:

the comparison to Smytty was only in the heart department, not on playing styles, but yeah, I do see some Grier in his game…

25. Ktown says:

I’ll be looking forward to seeing Omark and Maggie together, and see what they can do… could be interesting.

I really wonder if the fans will treat Omark the same as any of our other current prospect because he’s being painted with The Brush of Schremp. i.e. Let’s say he plays and produces the same way MPS has to this point. Nothing really great there yet in terms of production. I can see a lot of fans calling him Schremp V2.0. I don’t think that’s fair. For his sake, I hope he excels when brought up just to put that side of the supposed argument to bed.

Racki: I think the majority of fans were over-supportive of Schremp though and hopeful that he would be a great player, as well as insistent that he get good ice time. I think the same will be the case for Omark. If he doesn’t produce though, there will be some that call him Schremp 2.0, but I think a lot will still be hopeful for him.Unfortunately, the “Schremp 2.0″ guys generally speak the loudest, so the majority-support might not be overwhelmingly obvious.

Yeah, it’s just annoying as hell. I’m thinking he’ll do fine anyway.

I wonder if he’ll get some looks on the PP. I would think so. Hopefully he does well there as well.

Courtesy of tencer’s twat…

@dantencer Line combinations: Hall-Gagner-Eberle, Paajarvi-Cogliano-Penner, Omark-O’Marra-Jones, Jacques-Fraser-Brule.

30. MetalOil says:

MetalOil: I know it seems that Schremp & Omark get painted with the same brush by a lot of Oiler fans. Both known for there trickery and the club seems/seemed hesitant to call both up but the big difference for me is that one(Rob Schremp) was a 1st rounder(25th overall) and the other (Linus Omark) is a 4th round pick (97th overall). Schremp had to make it in order to not be a bust while Linus has to make it to be called a steal. Also lets remember that Schremp had his troubles in the AHL and Linus has done very well.They both may be painted with the same brush by a lot of fans but they took very different routes to get on the canvas.

Good points MO. Don’t forget that Schremp did have some very good years or partial years in the AHL as well. He was an all star one year, but for sure the draft position really was a huge factor in terms of pressure and expectation on Schremp.

I like the fact that Linus went down and worked his butt off and had success at that level as well. I think the thing with Schremp was an entitlement issue as well where he had years that he pouted and didn’t produce as a result. Hopefully there are some lessons learned there on both sides.

Having said that, I fully expect him to come up and have some good games. I’m not truly worried about it at all. I think skill always has a way of coming out. I just hope he’s good without the puck as well as that was what ultimately had Schremp fall out of favour and not get onto this team. I think Linus will be much better and from his scouting reports, seems more tenacious in getting the puck back than Schremp or even Nilsson were.

I’ll be looking forward to seeing more of him in the next bunch of games without doubt. Should be fun.

Racki: Biggest concern I have for Omark is whether or not he knows he plays on a line or thinks he’s a one man wrecking crew. Guess we’ll find out. I hope for the best for him though and have confidence that he’ll do fine, however.

Yeah, this was the knock on him out of camp, and completly justified too. Maybe having O’Marra called up at the same time will help that.

34. neufab says:

Has Brule done something to piss off the coach? It may have been beat to death already, but what the hell did he do? He’s our best face-off guy for crying out loud!

Sucks that Horcoff and Hemsky are out, but it could grow this team up in a hurry, and be a boost when they come back. I think that one of the call-ups will end up staying.

Honestly, I think he must have. It doesn’t really make sense to anyone. Even coaches have their goats, and I guess Brule is Renney’s goat.

Yeah, I’ve been beating the Cogs vs. Brule drum for a while. It makes no sense to me.

Honestly, I think Cogliano makes as good of a winger as Brule makes a good center. So it’s pretty silly. But what do we know, right?

38. oilinblood says:

Cant comment on anything but the picture. i am rarely ever willing to give a red head a second glance. Christina’s one of 3 (NATURAL – dyed punk reds always hot) reds ive seen in my entire life that i could stare at/ oggle/ drewl over for hours. She looks best with scotch and a cigar/ette though. A mans woman. Ive been looking for someone like her to be MY secretary. They keep informing I cant do that… but if i find a woman that looks like that Id quit, and hire her myself.

39. dawgtoy says:

Logan couture is red hot right now in SJ. 14th Calder helper of the season, ties him for points and pulls him five ahead in goals over Hallsy. Also his most telling stat is that he’s plus six thus far on the season.

yes I’m bragging, and suffice to say, Imma lucky guy!!

/edit…

oh yeah, back off jackoffs!!!

lol

Next week’s MMS girl… Mrs. Gr8one.

Racki: Next week’s MMS girl… Mrs. Gr8one.

Send me a free Eberle Jersey for her to model for it and it’s a deal!!

lol

43. mrs.gr8one says:

Did I just get pimped out for a jersey?

44. oilinblood says:

gr8one: while we’re on the subject of the MMS girl, I gotta say I can’t believe how she pretty much has the identical figure as my wife!! If you PS’d my wifes purty face on that body it really could be her!!yes I’m bragging, and suffice to say, Imma lucky guy!!/edit…oh yeah, back off jackoffs!!! lol

Does she need a job?
    Can she type?
    Does she smoke cigars, drink scotch and dye her hair red?

joking aside; her measurements im sure are pretty close to artistic perfection with the bust and waist equal and the waist at about 2/3 to .70 bust with shoulders at 3/4 bust. Her head is about 1/9 of her body and a nice sleek neck with lower body weight nearly equaling top half (correction… approx 4″ above belly being the mid point)

45. john says:

mrs.gr8one: Did I just get pimped out for a jersey?

Depends on who gets to keep the jersey I suspect ;)