KHL Brawl round 2 – Vityaz Chekhov beat up Avangard Omsk again

By , December 10, 2010 2:47 pm

UPDATED with sparring partners (and I use that term very loosely).
A line brawl broke out in the KHL today between Vityaz Chekhov and Avangard Omsk. It looks like this is the second time this happened with the first time documented on Puck Daddy here.

I guess these two teams don’t like each other.

Hell of a line brawl this time around, as it started right off the start of puck drop. Two players were hospitalized (Roman Cervenka and Martin Skoula). Chris Simon plays for Vityaz.

Former NHLer Josh Gratton is #92 in white (Vityaz) and can be seen laying the boots to someone pretty good. #61 for white is Sergei Belokon, who is also unleashing holy terror. #7 (goes after what looks like Alexei Bondarev then goalie Karri Ramo) is scrappy Canadian Darcy Verot. #13, who probably had the fairest looking fight and ends up jerseying and working over Martin Skoula (who ended up hospitalized), is Captain Denis Sergeev. Kudos to Josh Gratton for being a pussy and jumping in to help out Sergeev in that fight after Skoula got back up, sans jersey/shoulder pads. Looks like Gratton ended up bloodying Skoula when he pulled him around (I believe Skoula hit his head on the ice). Bondarev (Avangard) is later seen watching in fear as Belokon works over someone (I believe this is Svatos). Cervenka is also seen lying on the ice hunched over, but I didn’t see who dropped him.

Ivan Larin, #43 for Vityaz, is also seen mixing it up. Suprisingly enough, I didn’t see Chris Simon in any of this mess.

As for Avangard, I see Marek Svatos was the guy getting tossed around off the start by Belokon.

Let me know if that doesn’t work.. unfortunately I had to type that by hand out from my phone since I can check that out on my work PC.

Puck Daddy reported that in the last brawl, Vityaz was heavily punished for instigating the brawl. They actually instigate it again in this one. I’m not sure if they’re the KHL’s Broadstreet Bullies or what the deal is, but I love it. lol Intimidation tactics. Meeting 3, Avangard might just decline to play.

Click here to be taken to Youtube link.

Edit:
Suspensions/etc…

Thanks to SvenskaRiga@hfboards for this info:

Avangard
- Fined 100,000 rubles (100,000 rubles = $3262 CDN)

Vityaz
-Fine 400,000 rubles (400,000 rubles = $13,048 CDN)
-Players suspended (all from Vityaz – white team): #61 Belokon-13 games, #7 Verot-12 games, #92 Gratton-15 games, #43 Larin-14 games.
-Management receives invitation to come to KHL offices to explain the reason for all this.

Meeting between KHL and Vityaz management will take place on December 16th, 2010 and additional sanctions may be imposed.

11 Responses to “KHL Brawl round 2 – Vityaz Chekhov beat up Avangard Omsk again”

These mofos be puttin’ on the foil!!!

2. MetalOil says:

Wow. And we think the Oilers have trouble sticking up for each other. Some of those guys in the black jersey’s are a bunch of pussies just standing by watching their teammates getting rocked like that.

Also in the “first time documented on Puck Daddy here” link someone is quoted as saying “”I don’t even know what to call this person. I played with Sean Avery when I was with the New York Rangers. A lot was said about him. But he was an ordinary tough guy. He followed the code” LOL.

LOL about Avery.

4. Trogdor says:

That was the peanut butter baron Jagr who was talking about Avery.

lol, that KHL fight is insane…the red team had totally pre-meditated that whole attack!

What’s the name of the black team? Team Turtle?

Team Turtle is actually Avangard Omsk, Jaromir Jagr’s team.

I thought that was Jagr’s team. Also, who was that pussy watching his teammate take bombs to the face at the beginning? He just stood there and watched. WTF is that? Go play soccer.

I mention above a bit on who were the sparring partners, but that was Alexei Bondarev, I believe. He had already taken a beating right off the start, and I guess he didn’t want any more (Edit: actually watching it again, I see he just got ragdolled.. no beating). I do think that’s cowardly too. But I found Josh Gratton’s actions to be even more cowardly.

Denis Sergeev and Martin Skoula were having a decent fight. It was a relatively fair fight. Skoula at least saw him coming and had his gloves off and got involved in the fight. He took a lot of shots and later was jerseyed, but he was in it.

He got back up for round 2 with Sergeev, and Josh Gratton comes flying out of nowhere and pulls him by his shirt to fight him and ends up throwing him to the ice (and it looks like Skoula got seriously injured after that).

I think it was a bit of a joke on all sides. There’s nothing uncowardly about anything that happened in that fight. We sound off on Avery sucker punching Smid, but this is really no different. Vityaz pretty much jumped the other team and aside from maybe one guy (Skoula), none of them really were prepared for it.

The code is to let the guy into the fight… drop the gloves, give him a fair chance to fight. They might as well have waited for the Avangard players to turn their backs, in my opinion (and in some cases they did..).

Definitely straight out of Slap Shot though.

Thanks to SvenskaRiga@hfboards for this info:

Avangard
    - Fined 100,000 rubles (100,000 rubles = $3262 CDN)

Vityaz
    -Fine 400,000 rubles (400,000 rubles = $13,048 CDN)

Yeah, pretty shit style there by Gratton. There was no need for that as the two guys were just squaring off again.

11. oilinblood says:

Pussys. I am referring to the gutless instigators. Be a man and challenge, throw off the gloves, let the person square, and go. Pussys.

If im a ref… only one side gets penalties. 5X5 minutes, 5X 10, bench major X5, 5X 2 roughings, 5X2 unsportsmanlikes.
    suspend coach, asst coach, 2nd assistant coach, trainer, doctor, 4 million fine to club, year suspension for each player with no pay.
    What losers.
    I like fights but i hate losers who arent worth dog $hit/.

I hope they got metal detectors at the next match…those fans will have their say. A few fans looked like they wanted a part… but need to go home and get what they need to drill a message home first.