By , December 23, 2010 10:56 am
logo AT logo
12-15-5 Record 19-12-1
Location: Staples Center
Date: December 23, 2010 @ 8:30 PM MST
TV: SNET ONE

Click here for TEAM CANADA GDT
First off, I will say that the two team’s records and place in the standings are quite a statement as to how hard it is to make it in the playoffs in the West. The Kings are sitting at 19-12-1… which sounds like a pretty damn good record, but right now that’s only good for 9th place in the West. Yikes. The Oilers have a long way to go if they have any hope of making it in. I haven’t completely written them off yet, and it probably won’t be long before I do… but I still have hopes right now that they win as much as they can.

Anyways, I think tonight should be a fun one to watch for us. I’m going to call this one a 5-2 win for the good guys.

CONFIRMED LINES

Hall-Gagner-Eberle
Jones-O’Marra-Omark
Penner-Cogliano-Paajarvi
Jacques-Fraser-Stortini

Peckham – Gilbert
Whitney – Strudwick
Smid – Foster

Dubnyk
Khabibulin

LIVE CHAT

Closed.

8 Responses to “GDT: Oilers 2, Los Angeles Kings 3 (SO) – Game 33 – 2010-12-23 @ 8:30 PM – SNET1”

Honestly the Oilers are idiots in the shootout. Penner and Cogliano, who both SUCK in the shootout might I add over Paajarvi? Dubnyk played great untill that dumb mistake in the shootout, but he got them a point,as he usually does. Omark’s attempt was terrible , it really was a horrible attempt. I’m begging Renney to actually work on the shootout during practices, because this team cant win them to save their lives. Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas!

B.O., take a breath before you go nuts after a game. You’re going to have a heart attack at 18 or whatever age. :P

But seriously, after every win you’re on cloud 9, and after every loss, the entire team is stupid. Settle down ;) Take a night off after each game, then post. lol

3. NorwegianOiler says:

Agree Racki.

In fact, the past two losses are the kind I can live with in a rebuilding situation (opposed to quite a few of the early defeats). They are clearly growing as a team unit, they work for each other around the boards, clear the puck out with more authority and go after their check with determination. Hall-Gagner-Eberle look like an actual first line, being a threat whenever they are on the ice (and not since the kid-line’s brilliant stretch have I seen such good puck support, especially between Hall and Ebs, who constantly pick the puck up from each other).

Now, the holes in the lineup are quite evident still, but their work is making it less glaring (I hope Tambellini does not mistake it, in his omnipotent ‘evaluation’, for an actual solution).

Shootouts are a bit of a lottery, and the only thing I can agree with is that Penner does not seem to put enough into his attempts – although the same can be said of Kopitar, for example, in this shootout. MacTavish would have asked him for more jam, and brought trouble instead. I don’t know if Pääjärvi is a much better alternative, however. Omark tried a quick surprising shot, didn’t work, fair enough. When you are renowned for your flair, doing the most simple move is the most unpredictable after all. In the shootout we’re missing Horcs and Hemsky, which are two of our best options.

Happy holidays everyone!

Sounds like I missed a good game, haven’t even had a chance to watch the highlights yet! Finishing your Christmas shopping at 3AM really sucks but thank God for 24 hour grocery stores and Wal-Marts…

However, at midnight I did think of my great friends at POTF as I was passing by the Shake Weight display in Walmart. $29.97 Rollback from $39.97!!!! I had to resist the temptation…

Merry Christmas everyone!

Shake Weight!!

OFF, to Walmart. lol

Merry Christmas everyone!! See you all Boxing Day.

N.O.: agreed with all of that. I also wanted to mention how great of a game Jones had last night. I’m not sure anyone worked harder to create turnovers than him last night. I thought Omark, O’Marra and Jones had the signs of being a capable unit. I hope that Renney doesn’t panic and split them up yet because they didn’t get any points yesterday. I’m surprised to see Jones had 5 shots yesterday. If he keeps banging away he’ll get some more goals. That line will turn out to be a pleasant surprise, I’m thinking. So now that Jones is playing well, do you think Tambellini moves him (or lets his contract expire come July 1)? I’m saying that with a bit of venom.. because of Glencross, Potulny, Brodziak, etc.. It seems like playing well in the bottom six doesn’t always earn you a long term job here.

Anyways, Penner also played really well too, and maybe that’s why Renney went with him in the shootout. Coaches often fall to their better players in games when going to the shootout. It’s not just the Oilers. Penner was a beast yesterday.

I think this team is showing a lot of signs of life. I actually have a completely new attitude this year, and if I may say so, I’d recommend to my BipOiler friend Boston Oiler to follow suit. Think of this not so much as a re-build year or a year where they have to make the playoffs. As tired as I am of Tambellini evaluating things, I think this is an appropriate year to do it. Throw these kids to the wolves and see what they can do. So far I think almost everyone can say that the kids have been fantastic. They’ve picked up the ball and are running with it. But just know along the way there will be mistakes made by rookies and also by veterans. We can’t expect perfection or even close to it every night. Just enjoy the highs and don’t focus on the lows. This team is much more fun to watch that way. You shouldn’t stress out watching a hockey game.

Like N.O. mentioned, the puck support has been there. Not just in the offensive zone, but in the d-zone too. There are lots of positives to take out from each game. Way more positives than negatives, despite the two losses in a row.

LNOF: lol @ Shake Weight… I still can’t believe that product made it onto the market and somewhere other than an adult video store.

Racki: B.O., take a breath before you go nuts after a game. You’re going to have a heart attack at 18 or whatever age. I’m not sure what “dumb mistake” Dubnyk made. He tried to stop it, but didn’t get all of it.. simple as that. Not sure what was dumb about it. He played pretty well all throughout the game.. shootout included. They should give Paajarvi a shot though… I’m surprised we don’t ever see him at all. I can only guess is that he isn’t very good at it (they do practice them too). I think Cogliano was a good choice it just didn’t work. The last shootout the Oilers had, he wired a beauty shot but it just caught the top corner of iron. I thought they needed a shooter against Quick after the first couple of saves on dekes (he got a bit deeper in the net), so I didn’t think it was bad that Cogs had a shot. Penner does seem to be a shootout failure though. lol But seriously, after every win you’re on cloud 9, and after every loss, the entire team is stupid. Settle down Take a night off after each game, then post. lol

Ahahahaha I’m thinking because it was 130 out here and I was tired to begin with I just yelled stuff out witrhout giving it thought. I just don’t like Cogliano and Penner in the shootout, and I think most would agree .Was shcked to see MP no get a shot at it, but whatever. All I saw was DD try and make a save and then the light go on, I just blamed it on him, but the next day saw it wasn’t his fault lol. I thought they played really well overal, but I though Renney made a bad shootout call, that is all.

Haha, yah I know B.O, I’m just giving you a hard time. And you’re right, most of us want to see Paajarvi out there too.