GDT: Oilers 6, Blue Jackets 3 – Game 31 – 2010-12-16 @ 7:30 PM – SNET1

Edmonton Oilers vs. Columbus Blue Jackets
logo AT logo
16-11-3 Record 11-14-5
Location: Rexall Place
Date: December 16, 2010 @ 7:30 PM MST
TV: SNET1

The Oilers’ roller coaster is taking us back down again. They have lost 3 of their last 4, albeit one of them in the shootout. The one game they did win (against Tampa Bay), they didn’t have much business winning, but thanks to some heroics by Khabi, they were able to stay in the game long enough for Omark to add to the list of #danellisproblems. By some miracle, the Oilers are 6-3-1 in their last 10, while the Blue Jackets are 2-5-1 in their last 10.

Hall seems to be flying high. As one critic here would likely point out, he’s made his share of mistakes, but Renney is doing a great job of loosening the reigns, and this has done wonders for his creativity. I’m not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but in that brutal 4-1 loss to the Leafs, Mr. Hall accounted for a third of the Oilers’ shots (8 shots)! He earned the third star and seems to be doing everything in his power to carry this team in the absence of Horcoff and Hemsky. He’s not alone, but there are definitely quite a few passengers as of late, as Tom Renney would say.

Anyways, there is a chance we’ll see Taylor Hall playing the PK now, according to a couple of sources. I’ve often wondered why they haven’t given him much opportunity yet. I assumed it was because in one of the games he did PK on, he circled back in the neutral zone and played keepaway for a bit to shed more time off the clock. I thought maybe perhaps the coach thought it was too risky, and he should have “dumped it in the corner”, like linemate Jordan Eberle jokingly suggested he should have done on his first NHL goal. Anyways, it will be nice if he does get some PK time, as the Oilers stupid-penalty parade is getting more popular these days, keeping Hall off the ice.

Well, I think this one is winnable. Renney seems to be decent at bringing the team back on track. So I’ll predict a 3-2 (SO) win for the home team.

CONFIRMED LINES

Klesla Methot
Hejda Tyutin
Russell Commodore

Mason

LIVE CHAT

Closed.

12 Responses to “GDT: Oilers 6, Blue Jackets 3 – Game 31 – 2010-12-16 @ 7:30 PM – SNET1”

Columbus has found out how to score goals. I think this will be a tough game for them to win.

If they can compete with Columbus, it’s a good sign. Having said that, Studwick will be in the lineup, so that’s like spotting them two goals but at least we have a fourth line that will play more minutes, so maybe it evens out.

Not sure how much of this one I’ll see. Larry King’s last broadcast is on tonight. I’ll likely be flipping back and forth.

Yah, I’m hoping he doesn’t score any tonight, but having Nash in both pools was frustrating at first, but he’s picked it up at around the mid-point of games played so far and is back to the real Rick Nash.

I’m not sure if Moreau is actually going to play tonight, but what kind of reception do you guys think he’ll get? Good to hear some good words on him from the team, but I think many people associate him with a losing mentality. I was actually happy he was waived and claimed, but I wasn’t really sold that he was this big locker room cancer (how many locker room cancers give rookies a house?). I just thought he really lost that same drive he used to have. Maybe that was due to injury.. maybe it was due to the fan-attitude dragging him down, maybe it was just due to the mental anguish of losing all the time… I don’t know. But it was good for both sides that he moved on, and I hope Edmonton treats him right if he plays tonight.. none of this booing shit we’re so famous for.

As happy as I was to see Ethan go for the same reasons, I hope he gets a warm reception. He was a very good Oiler for a long time and his community involvement was fantastic. I’m hoping he gets a warm reception. It’s not like he left on bad terms. He was waived. That’s a lot different than how Pronger left.

Zackman, are you interested in Sturm? I think I want to move him now. Maybe there’s a fit there. Let me know.

zackman35: Should be interesting to see Hall on the PK, Eberle impressed me early on I wonder if Hall will get any exciting breaks. And Racki you are looking for another center because I could really use another solid LW…

I actually was looking for a centermen in one of the pools… so feel free to throw suggestions out in trades.

zackman35: Chucker: I’ll wait till he plays his first game and see where he fits in on the depth chart. If he fits in on the top 6 and has an impact game with the Kings then I’ll consider it but otherwise its really up in the air right now, I’m not a big fan of taking guys with knee injuries.

Yeah, fair enough. I’m kinda watching him to see what he does when he comes back too. It’ll be interesting to see what other moves LA makes. Too many bodies.

Racki: Word from Jason Gregor is that Jacques has a broken nose in two places from a fight with Valabik (?) in the AHL. He speculates (and I can agree) that perhaps this is why Jacques hasn’t been as physical this year yet as he was in the past.

Well I can say for Peckham it has helped his development leaps and bounds, spending more time on ice vs in the box (because of his hand injury?). As for Jacques, well I don’t see why he still can’t be throwing his body around like he use to.

Great night from the kids, I liked some of the moves Omark pulled off too, risky but lots of them paid off.

So for anyone on last night’s GDT with me, apologies for not saying goodnight! I fell asleep! It was 6-2 when I nodded off so guess I missed a CBJ goal. Nice win, really nice to see the rookies at work! Not to often both the Isles and the Oilers get a win on the same night (that’s more of a comment on the Isles state of affairs than the Oilers btw).

No problem, thanks for stopping by anyways!