GDT: Oilers 1, Maple Leafs 4– Game 30 – 2010-12-14 @ 7:00 PM – SNETW

Edmonton Oilers vs. Toronto Maple Leafs
logo AT logo
11-14-4 Record 11-13-5
Location: Rexall Place
Date: December 14, 2010 @ 7:00 PM MST
TV: SNETW

Looks like the Oilers are dressing the thug line up again tonight. Expect both MacIntyre and Stortini to be in. Also, I’d expect Strudwick in for Vandermeer, although I’m not entirely certain he’ll replace his minutes (Vandy has been fantastic lately, playing with Whitney).

The two teams are fairly equal, as far as records are concerned. The Oilers have been the hotter team as of late though, although their last two games they got lucky with the final score being what it was.

Last time the two teams faced was in November, and the Oilers came out on top with a 5-0 win. And while in the photo above, Orr is seen hitting MacIntyre in the face, this was just the starting point which set Big Mac off into destructo-mode, as the Oil won that fight too.

Prediction: 6-1 Oilers (please be true, as Trogdor and I will be at the game tonight)

CONFIRMED LINES

Kaberle – Schenn
Lebda – Gunnarson

Giguere
Gustavsson

LIVE CHAT

Closed.

49 Responses to “GDT: Oilers 1, Maple Leafs 4– Game 30 – 2010-12-14 @ 7:00 PM – SNETW”

1. Haboiler says:

Looking forward to this one tonite. My dad is here from NS and has loved the Leafs for 64 years and has never seen them play live. Its cool to see him so pumped up!

2. D-man09 says:

Load of crap they should be giving O’Marra more play time not Big Mac.

Agreed I would like to see O’Marra out there, but this is the type of game that MacIntyre is needed for in my opinion. You have a meathead on the other team that will run your best players unless you take him off the ice…therefore MacIntyre dresses.

I’d rather see O’Marra in there over Stortini.

4. Trogdor says:

Well, hopefully your dad doesn’t have too bad a time while his team gets embarrassed. My dad couldn’t make it, so now I have to suffer through the game with Racki.

Haboiler:

Steve-O: Agreed I would like to see O’Marra out there, but this is the type of game that MacIntyre is needed for in my opinion.You have a meathead on the other team that will run your best players unless you take him off the ice…therefore MacIntyre dresses.I’d rather see O’Marra in there over Stortini.

Yah Big Mac definitely needs to be in. All signs point to Stortini being obsolete, however. He could still turn things around, but right now his effort level is seemingly non-existent.

Trogdor: Well, hopefully your dad doesn’t have too bad a time while his team gets embarrassed.My dad couldn’t make it, so now I have to suffer through the game with Racki.

At least you don’t have to explain why the referee blew the play dead on an offside to the guy you’re going with. I don’t have that same luxury.

Sounds like Vandermeer will be out for 2+ weeks. Speculation is that they’ll call up Belle soon… unless Strudwick puts in a Denis Potvin-like performance, perhaps (he’s more likely to put in a modern-day Denis Potvin performance, however, god love him).

I have barely noticed the nights that Storts has played, I’m a fan of the guy but this season he has been invisible it seems on the best of nights. I really wish we had a skilled type of enforcer like Richards or Brown even… I’d love to see that type of player dawn an Oilers jersey.

Strudwick Pots’ five! Imagine that headlines on the newspapers with a Safeway winner wearing Struds jersey. I’d like to see the Oil call up Plante, just to see how his developing is going.

The Oilers should call up Plante or Petry just to develop the future team better, but I said that last time and they went with rewarding good play.

I vote for a name change. Linus to Dangles. Dangles Omark

11. oilinblood says:

zackman35: I’m a little frustrated to say the least by the Oilers police force. There were a few times where a few of the guys where pushed around and nothing was done about it, most notably was probably Hall. I don’t know what’s protecting these actions, the lack of aggressiveness of the players or the “new NHL” but if things don’t change then a few of these guys may not have jobs next season in the show. I think Stortini has to decide based on the current roster where his strengths lie, especially when Mac laces up. If he wants a future on this team then he’s going to have to start doing what he has done well in the past, agitating. He may be willing to drop the gloves but he can be a lot more effective if he can draw penalties and get under the opponents skin. It seems as though Storts has lost ‘his game’/identity and is scraping by trying to get someone to fight. Don’t get me wrong, like I mentioned before I’m a fan of the guy but if he doesn’t play to his strengths he may not play in the show for too much longer.Based off tonight’s performance I think we need a guy with a few screws loose or willing to chase down a player and beat the crap out of them for looking at the kids wrong, or anyone in that matter. I can’t remember who mentioned it but someone was saying earlier this week that teams should fear looking at the Oilers the wrong way, or making a questionable hit on a guy because “player X” will hunt them down.

I know what you are saying. Storts isnt really a fighter in my opinion but is a guy who will drop the gloves when his team needs him to. Take a look at Penners head lock on Dion. I feel if that is Storts its a fight whether Dion drops his gloves or not.
    I am starting to see Rackis point of view that Mac is not being used properly. In the old days Semenko didnt ask people if they wanted to go. If someone even hit Gretzky clean it was dealt with fast. If Semenks wasnt on the ice at the time of the incident he would certainly be on the ice the next time that opposing player got a shift.

I have issues with intimidation… I do not have any issue with retribution. If someone hits clean (Schenn), theres no call to do anything -unlike in Gretzkys days where even clean hits on him led to knock outs- but if someone sucker punches or elbows a key player…it SHOULD ALWAYS WITHOUT QUESTION be a ticket to getting your lights knocked out.

I always consider a cheap shot or elbow as an invite for a fight and feel there should be no instigatr to answering those plays. Grab the guy, whether he wants to go or not (DONT jump him, drop the gloves let him square or try to run but make it clear he is going to have to answer).
    My issue with fights only comes up when players arent square- sneak attacks, and someone jumps another person. To me once two players are square and one drops the gloves… its fair, its known, and if one runs away he is fair game to be beaten because its no longwer jumping the player. if he wants to turn his back and run knowing the fight is on thats the risk he takes. drop the gloves get er done.

Mac has to go. I hate this good guy crap. If its renneys fault for holding Mac back than i say Renney should be fired because the health of the kids is more important than his job.

For the record Mac asked Orr to go and Orr declined. Orr is a guy that wasnt running around and another part of my mentality to fights is that it has to stop being the fighters fighting. Orr has to stop being the one you ask to fight because dion did something. I dont mind Orr one bit. To me Orr is pretty respectable and i dont think Orr should have to answer for others actions. Mac should have went at Dion and knocked him out. square up drop the gloves and when dion turtles, pick him off the ground throw him into the boards and knock his brain cells to the wind.

All the teams in the NHL watch the highlights and just saw “Renneys wimps” as you can now elbow, cross check, and sucker punch our players for free even when Mac and Storts are in the lineup.

Renney is a pussy. Get rid of Mac right now… we obviously have no intention on policing how people treat our future stars. Hall will be concussed by march.

13. oilinblood says:

Bostonoiler: My god Stortini, MacIntyre and Strudwick suck. Horrible effort tonight from just about everyone (Hall, Penner, Eberle, Gagner, MP excluded). If this continues we will get that center we so desperatly need.

Nice to see you BO. Struds definently sucks and i dont see any reason to dress Mac anymore since he should have been used twice in this game and never was used for what his purpose for existing is.He is a bomb and there were a couple of incidents that begged for bomb retribution. Rennery is a puss.

I wonder how long the kids will survive now that it will be on the highlights of how a team attacked our young stars and got away with every bit of it.

Hall and Eberle then MP will be broken by March. Oilers are a bunch of wimps under this Renney puss. I can see it clearly. Hall and Eberle and MP broken and will never achieve what they are capable of.

Im starting to hope we fire Renney. Id rather the kids be healthy and he be unemployed rather than they be injured and he keeps making us look like pussys.

Highlight of the night…oilers are qwimps…open season on hall and eberle and Magnum. Hit them all you like…you will never have to answer for it.

14. otto says:

I want to bitchslap a lot of people in the Oilers organization and fanbase right now. That’s all I got until I’m less pissed off.

Agreed with the sentiment on some of the players on our team. I don’t blame the players themselves (except maybe Strudwick who just hasn’t got what it takes to keep up even when he’s in the lineup regularly). The Leafs played it perfectly with the mental game. Should have known, with Tim Hunter as an assistant. How do you piss off the other team? Well, beat up their #2 guy and don’t give the #1 guy a chance to fight you.

I hate myself for saying this, but credit to the Leafs for playing smart hockey. It sucked big time, being in the sea of Leafs fans, listening to them like they just won the fucking cup.

Ron Wilson proved that the goons on your team are only as good as the guy managing them. I love Tom Renney, but let’s face it, he got schooled in the warfare tonight. Listening on the drive home to that weasel Tencer, he actually made a good point – the Oilers had no business dressing both MacI and Stortini. It gave Orr an option. Hindsight is 20/20 though. But really, Stortini should have just suckered Orr into the penalty and turtled or something. For an agitator though, he’s too proud for something like that. I give him credit for standing in there, but I don’t think he should have fought at all.

I’ve said it before how useless the goons can be though. I like MacIntyre and Stortini, but really what purpose did they serve other than allowing the Leafs another edge. Phaneuf needed another Moreau-sized beating, but didn’t get it… although good to see Penner stand up for Hall (and not get a penalty!).

Anyways, I’ve said it a thousand times.. the Oilers don’t need 1 big nuclear “deterrent”, they need several guys in the Jacques/Strudwick/Peckham/etc. weight class that will beat the piss out of Phaneuf if he pulls that stuff on Hall. And if he runs, well take out Grabovski or something. Eye for an eye.

Edit: credit to a few Oilers on the ice that seemed to give a damn (biggest credit goes to Hall/Gagner/Eberle)

17. oilinblood says:

i hardly ever get to wear my jersey to games but because it was the leafs i chose to make sure i brought my jersey to work with me. I was pretty ashamed at how wimpy we were.

As for the guys you mentioned… JFJ, Struds, Peck… only 1 deserves to be on the team. As for Mac… he has a place but isnt used at all so why keep him. If i was coach hed be definently used and if he wasnt willing id send him to timbucktooo in the siberian league.
    Personally i like ORR, and i like Storts who was out matched heavily (anyone who knows ORR knows Storts was going to get beat). The issue that i have is i will NEVER subscribe to the notion that the Macs of the world have to pick a fight with the Orrs in order to make a statement of response to a Dion. MY perspective is dion did it… so he pays. Send out Mac and instuct the other guys to tie up their men. Mac Should be able to then beat the tar out of Dion without others trying to stop the fight.

Renney is going to get this team killed. It was a pathetic show tonight. If it wasnt for a great game by a few players, and Storts’ desire to stand up for his team against Orr… i would have been completely ashamed to be an oilers fan. Right now im just ashamed at our wimpy and schooled coaching.

18. oilinblood says:

zackman35: I might etch Peckham in there too BO, he seemed to have some lightning in the bottle tonight. I agree with pretty much all above comments on the ‘goon squad’/tough guy dept. We don’t need a guy who’s real greasy/dirty (Cooke/Avery) but a guy who can protect/punish and instill fear and hesitation into the opponent.

I am a fan of clean hockey. If hockey is clean the fighters only fight eachother for entertainment and momentum.
    Tonight was NOT clean hockey by our opponents and when that happens the coach has to send messages to other teams. The message made by renney … and displayed to the entire NHL thru highlights is that its ok to flying elbow and sucker punch our kids.
    As i said they will be done and broken by March. Our kids are dead men skating.
    If im calgary, Columbus, Vancouver…ANYOTHER team… i tell my 3rd and 4th liners to break Hall and Eberles jaws. Easy squeezy. There wont be any retribution. Hit them, pulverize them and laugh at the oilers bench after.
    Oilers are laughable after tonight. Renney should be fired.

Hire those guys that play for Vityaz Checkhov… :P

20. oilinblood says:

Racki: The only problem with MacI attacking other players is it’ll likely incur a suspension, meaning lost wages for the poor sap. They should just pay him 2x as much each year and tell him to take runs at players whether he is suspended or not. lolHire those guys that play for Vityaz Checkhov…

Not a big fan of jumping players from behind without clearly challenging and dropping the gloves. Im a big believer in squaring and dropping the gloves. If after that they run…or turn you down/debate like avery…too bad, beat them up anyways. The point is the players are aware “its on” and are given a fair chance.

I also dont see a need to respond to clean hits (schenn).

I hope you were being facetious about Vityaz . I dont see how mac gets suspended for fighting phaneuff, even if he jumps him. I CAN see Mac getting suspended if he hit someone like Kadri–but only because Kadri didnt sucker punch someone. Colin is an old school hockey guy and i doubt very much that hed even suspend Mac for knocking Kadris block off if Kadri had done a flying elbow a shift earlier. Colin knows hockey and isnt a fan of wimp hockey. I dont see colin handing down any stiff sentence for a FAIR FIGHT. Dont jump the guy, let him know its on and then its fair whether hes willing or not.

I also point our i am NOT a fan of going after Kadri just because they sucker punch hall. I fight fair. Kadri doesnt have to answer for what Dion did. Nor do i think Mac fights Orr to settle what dion did. Dion has to answer for what he did.

Also… a little tip to Smid… once you offer a fight and the guy knows its on…dont wait.

Yes, of course I’m being facetious about Vityaz ;) My comments in there were scolding them for going about it in a cowardly way.

22. oilinblood says:

Racki: Yes, of course I’m being facetious about Vityaz My comments in there were scolding them for going about it in a cowardly way.But seriously, if you’re getting your ass handed to you, might as well stir shit up. One thing I liked about MacIntyre when we FIRST got him was he started stuff on his own, such as the hit on Boyd. We need people doing that, throwing the other team off their game. Tonight Wilson played a pretty good chess match all night.I disagree with your thoughts on Renney though. The guy has done a lot with this young team. They’re going to fuck up a lot. Firing him because Phaneuf worked over Hall and the only retribution was a Penner face wash is a bit silly. Wilson did outsmart him, but it’s going to happen, unfortunately. Renney does a good job most nights in other regards, but the Oil do need to be a tougher team to play against. Guys shouldn’t need a coach to tell them that either.

I guess i am making an assumption that Renney makes the call. For example as a coach id have put Mac out as soon as dion was. Mac cant do much from the bench. MAcs there for a reason and renney chose him… then doesnt use him for the purpose he gets paid to provide.

Also my answer for Dion isnt Fraser or Gagner or Peckham. Why would i want a key component to be lost for 5? Why risk qa real player to an injured hand? Mac is the answer. This is why he exists in the NHL. Renney chose him. Renney dressed him.
    Renney.
    I go back to a good coach. What i said about Semenko; if he wasnt on the ice when gretzky took a hit hed be out the next time the opposing player was on the ice. There was no hesitation. Semenko was there for a reason. Mcsorley, krusher, brown. all there because if they break their hands its no big loss.
    Mac was there for a reason…

Personally, I think enforcers are a joke. I’m all about the rough stuff, but it just doesn’t work. Realistically, you put MacI on the ice with Phaneuf, Phaneuf avoids him. Add to that, it’s likely the other team exploits his inability to keep up and puts another puck in the net.

We’ve seen it happen time and time again not just to our team but to other teams. How many guys’ enforcers go and throttle one of the other team’s stars? It’s not going to happen. A guy like Phaneuf needs to think he stands a chance in the fight to even consider being anywhere near the guy trying to fight him. We need guys that play with a Peckham edge in bulk.

MacIntyre isn’t the answer for Dion. Get real. Orr not fighting MacIntyre renders MacIntyre useless. Stortini not fighting Orr renders Orr useless. Really, these guys are a sideshow. I haven’t ever really bought (at least in the last few years) that they prevent anything from happening… maybe they prevent the big guys from taking runs at the little guys, but I don’t think that really happens often enough anymore.

If you’re calling for Renney’s head because he dressed MacIntyre and didn’t use him to beat on Phaneuf, I’m pretty shocked. Fans be crazy here in Edmonton. Let’s go through a coach every year.. clearly that’s the best idea.

24. oilinblood says:

oilinblood: Sather would have just had Semenko chase dion down and make his wife a widow. Theres no worry about not being able to keep up. off the draw you go straight for him. Done. *shrug*. the play would be alive for 5 seconds.Personally i think we need a bit of broadstreet in us. Mac should be used every game. high hit? ” Mac get out and kill him, thank you. Boys tie up the other guys off the draw and let mac thru to get dion.”Mac was signed for retribution or Tambi should be fired because he doesnt have the skill to do anything else.

Seriously, the firing talk is b.s.

I think MacIntyre is a mistake. But fans are always calling for heads here when one thing doesn’t work out.

Enforcers are nearly obsolete though, imho. Need more middleweights, not the super heavyweights.

28. oilinblood says:

Racki: Sorry OIB, this isn’t 1985… that flew back then, but it’s a different era, sadly. I wish we could pull off the Semenko body guard stuff, but it wouldn’t happen. I’d love to see it tried though, but you get shit like the Bertuzzi incident. I will say I’m all for MacIntyre beating the tar out of Phaneuf when he does crap like that to Hall, but I just don’t see it happening. Phaneuf will be gone in a second as soon as MacIntyre comes lumbering by, and Mac will just end up getting a penalty.

Fighting is like anyother part of hockey. The game offensively and defensively evolves because players and coaches change beyond the norm. Goaltending is the same. Fighting doesnt change for some reason.

In my mind i dont care if the rules changed. What place are we in again? where do we expect to finish? a few instigators gooing to hurt us? mac suspended going to hurt us? (ondrus) cmon.

The worst coaches are always the ones confined to the box of normality. Good coaches go with their gut. We arent winning the cup anymore. I will happily take the suspensions and penalties to make teams hurt with Dions etc on their IR’s. Id gladly replace us looking like pansys on the TSN highlights (which everyone in the league watches) and replace it with Mac getting Dion brain in his knuckles.
    HEll ill take 100 minutes in penalties. Its just one game and i can kill their team for a week.
    Want to cheap shot us? you wont have a healthy lineup for a month after. Hows that? And i wont hesitate.
    Right now everyone sees the pussy sign on our jersey. The ones that will pay the price are Eberlew Hall and Magnum. This rebuild only works if they survive. Right now my money is one of them retiring from PCS by 22.
    And yes im a clean guy but if i watch the highlights tonight and im calgary i know i can kill our rebuild by taking out Eberle and Hall. and i knee them and take them out. My profits go up, my fans are happy, my competition is injured, i laugh and relax in tahiti.

29. oilinblood says:

Racki: Anyways, bed time for me. We don’t need to fire the coach and manager and the guy working the hot dog stand because MacIntyre’s type is obsolete. They just need to start hunting around for more guys who can play a full game and are tougher. More Peckham’s.. less MacIntyre’s, imho. Once you have enough of those guys, jettison MacI

MacI is here and gets paid because he doesnt play hockey he just hurts people.

I know Renney had a bad night at the office and looked real bad with how badly Wilson out coached him tonight, but fire the guy?? No way, hes done a lot with this young team and made them a BETTER team than what they were in camp. This team needs more things to it, like a top center which we hope to add through this season’s entry draft, a few more 3rd and 4th line guys which can be had in free agency, and a couple of young defenders, which are in OKC developing trhe CORRECT WAY. Renney is doing a good job with the hand he was dealt. Its clear the direction these guys want to go right now, Tambi Lowe and Renney that it, the want one more year of top 5 pick hockey to get tha tcenter, then start the process of climbing towards the playoffs. We gotta stay patient, and I agree with Racki that its foolish to think about firing him right now. I do think however that Renney was a nidiot last night for continuing to send out Mac, Storts and Strudwick when it was quite clear they weren’t doing anything. Thankfully all 3, alongs with Vandermeer and hopefully Brule will be gone this off-season and we can get some real 3rd nd 4th liners to go with Jones and Fraser.

oilinblood: And when they break their hand? MacI is useful because Ondrus is here to replace him. If penner fights Dion and breaks his hand? Penner gets kicked out of the game? Fraser fights hm and gets hurt and we are down another centre?MacI is here and gets paid because he doesnt play hockey he just hurts people.We just arent on the same page on this. I have a totally different belief in a heavyweight than most people. Your heavy weight is there to kill people who get out of line. Otherwise dont sign one. Booo is the same. Cnat play worth crap, cant skate… but if you are ballsy you play him anyways because the opposition will be put off their game just by his presence. If renney wants to make the oilers pussys, if he wants to just use MacI 2 minutes a game than use him properly for those 2 minutes and unleash his fists when deemed appropriate.I do agree that if coaches cant coach a heavy weight (most can) than they shouldnt have told the GM to sign one.

If I had my way going into next season…..

Hall-Couturier-Eberle
    Paajarvi-Gagner-Hemsky
    Jones-Horcoff-Reddox
    Ondrus-Fraser-UFA
    UFA

Whitney-Gilbert
    Peckham-Plante
    Foster-Petry
    UFA

Khabibulin
    Dubnyk

I’d deal Penner for picks and prospects because I highly doubt he will return after his contract is up. Sign two tough, but effective forwards, one which will be a 4th liner and one which will be an injury replacement. Get a defender that you are ok with playing if an injury occurs, let Petry and Plante develop in the NHL, and hope Gilbert’s play is better with Whitney, who is one of our better defenders. Peckham sticks around because hes been that good in my mind this season. Up front you rool with your two faces, Hall and Eberle, but you add in that center that this team needs so badly, one who can score, play good in his own end and is big. That is Couturier, nd we draft him and put him with Hall and Ebs. Paajarvi looks good right now and is finally finding his game, will be a top 6 guy, same with Gagner and we know what Hemmer can do. Jones, Horcoff and Reddox brnig true grit and energy to the lineup, and Fraser along with Ondrus also gives us some toughness and grit.

I like rooting for the Oilers ands watching them win, but I hope Tambi and Renney don’t rush it and let us get Couturier, who we really could use.

The only problem I had with MacI last night is he should have just grabbed Orr right when they were lining up for that faceoff when Storts had to take the draw. It was obvious Orr didn’t want to fight MacI. I would have been okay with him taking an instigator for it too.

Talking about firing Renney or Tambi is just silly. I agree with Racki about the unfortunate demise of the super heavy weight fighter. I was hoping we could sign Asham for this reason. Today you need guys who can actually play decent and do that role. If you look around the league, most of the guys who were top fighters getting lots of ice time even two years ago are now stapled to the bench or healthy scratches most games.

My opinion is that we now need more guys like Peckham. Team toughness with guys like him, both on the back end and up front.

On the Ondrus topic, I was hoping he’d make the team out of camp for his ability to actually play and provide the elements of middle weight toughness. Storts had the contract though, which I’m okay with. Ondrus is a way better skater and can be used more regularly though. Oh well, he’s a good guy to teach the kids on the farm too.

33. mrgod2u says:

mrgod2u: While I was a bit disappointed in MacI’s lack of “fight production the player I was positively furious with was Stortini.Aside from playing punching bag for Orr, he was out of the play way more than he was in it, and could have easily gotten a few more penalties than he did, mostly for weakly finishing a hit so late after the play had left his area of the ice that it was pointless to do so…But my biggest beef about him last night was that knee hit, it was a cheap shot, it was classless, and it cost us momentum and gave the leafs the go ahead goal, and they didn’t look back after that.

Yeah, terrible game from Storts. What was also embarrassing was him showboating as he went off the ice to get his face stitched back together. Bad, bad game from him last night for sure.

It was hard to see the whole knee thing from the game last night. They never replayed it at all either. It looked from where I was sitting that Stortini didn’t even hit him. But obviously you folks watching on TV had the advantage of knowing that he did hunt for the knee.

Anyways, without a doubt, Stortini shouldn’t have fought MacIntyre. As far as I’m concerned, if MacIntyre is in the lineup, and the other heavyweight wants to go, he goes with MacIntyre. Stortini’s job at that point is to bait the guy. Like I said, I think he’s too proud of a guy to do it, but he should walk away, or bait the guy into a penalty. Just let MacI handle the fighting, because thats what he’s there for.

36. oilinblood says:

I didnt catch the knee incident either and was wanting to see it on the replays when i got home but it wasnt shown on any of the networks.
    My emotional tirade gone; i have to say i still am mad that MacI doesnt pound on Dion when Storts and Orr chose to go. Maybe its the alcohol but i seem to remember MacI being right next to Dion when Orr picked Storts?
    MAcI should not be on this team anymore. Ondrus showed he can play and should be up. People like MacI will have to fight people that are below their weight class and skill…and perhaps aare also unwilling. Thats the job, if you cant do it get out. Boo never had problems taking on anyone of any size and thats why he is still the best and the one that gets in peoples heads the most.

Today is an interesting day in the NHL as Atlanta begins to respond to Bettman turning his eyes, from Phoenix and the sure sale of the coyotes, on to them. Bettmans phoenix negotiations were hostile against phoenix but the NHL to stay in arizona needed a sweetheart deal. If this deal falls thru the NHL would certainly move the team. Now eyes are on Atlanta and ATL responded with a Media gimmick slow speed chase between a zamboni and local police.

Just to reiterate, like I said, I’m all for the thuggery and would love to see Phaneuf get his ass beat down. But I just don’t think that stuff really happens much anymore. Even with Boogaard.. he’s a lot less of a factor than he used to be a teams figured out they can just skate circles around him and ignore the big oaf. He’ll still beat up your tough guy though.

As for MacIntyre being in front of Phaneuf when Orr picked Stortini… my recollection was that MacIntyre was right there with Orr, and Stortini. Orr “chose” Stortini, and Storts obliged, being the proud guy he is. I’ve always respected him for that, even though I hate seeing a player I cheer for lose a fight.

And really, why would MacIntyre go with Phaneuf at that time? For shits and giggles? Phaneuf roughed up Hall after that Stortini/Orr fight. If MacIntyre just decided to drop the gloves and wail on Phaneuf (which I’d love to see), for sure he gets suspended. Naive to think otherwise.

Really this is what had to happen:

1) When Stortini was asked to go with Orr, he should have refused. If Orr drops the gloves and Stortini takes one or two while turtling, Orr gets tossed… mission accomplished. If it’s OK for Orr to refuse to go with the equal in MacIntyre, it sure as hell is OK for the lesser Stortini to refuse to go with Orr.

2) If Orr keeps refusing to fight MacIntyre, then MacIntyre needs to play hard and physical against the Leafs… guys other than Orr. You are on the right track with your idea on pounding on Phaneuf, but that just gets him tossed, and he might not even get a shot in on Phaneuf. But he has to go around hitting anything in sight. HOWEVER, I believe MacI did attempt that. He’s just too f’ing slow and not a good enough player to keep up. That and refs instantly take everything he does as dirty, which means he’s getting penalties. Exhibit A being the roughing penalty he took.

So really, the tough thing is, in order to be effective at anything other than fighting the other team’s tough guy, there is a really good chance he’ll just end up being a liability and taking bad penalties.

The key though again, is Stortini has to agitate guys.. get them off their game, and go with the little pricks of the league and leave the big boys like Orr to MacIntyre if they’re going to have both of those guys out there.

But I really think though that guys like MacIntyre are slowly becoming obsolete, or at least more of a side show than a deterrent. That’s just the way the game has evolved.. or devolved, depending on your P.O.V..

I’m still OK with keeping a big fighter like MacI on the roster, but Wilson outsmarted us and hopefully taught us a lesson on how to use these guys effectively. I was kinda complaining about Stortini not fighting enough lately, but I see now that was the wrong idea. However, since he can keep up to NHL action (albeit to a lesser extent), it should be his job to shit disturb and play on the border like Jacques did for part of last year. And then it’s MacI’s job to pound the piss out of anyone that tries to go after him. Seems simple enough.

Edit: holy shit was that a rant. lol I should make a post about it one day…

38. oilinblood says:

I see your point and mine was that if Orr chooses to wuss out on MacI than MacI should just grab someone (Dion) and throttle him. Get suspended i dont care… we got Ondrus to call up. Also this has more to do with Dions words to the bench at this point which led to him not having to answer for it and then developing the gonads -because we were proving ourselves to be pussys- to shoot a puck at khabi after the whistle and sucker hall. You coulde literally see his balls and guts get bigger as we proved ourselves to be a welcome mat.

So in the future if Orr chooses not to take the invite (there are instances where i dont begrudge a man for not accepting a fight… for example if they are at the end of a shift or it would just be for entertainment value and nothing else).. than take the next person and let Orr watch him get knocked out to the IR.

Its very simple in my opinion. Talk smack, get Macked. Hit hall or ebs or Magnum… get used as a punching bag by Mac. Or get rid of Mac and take insurance policys out on the young 3.

Rant away…get it out.

Also i think Ondrus deserved a spot out of camp and really wanted him here but frankly i think it will be great if he stays with the young farm club -one in which he is seen as a leader- and then comes up next year with some of those boys (Petry Belle Plante Reddox Omarra). I think Ondrus is shaping himself into a Buchy type leader down there.

Ya, I’d love to see it. My point just is that it’s unlikely.. you never see teams do that.

Renney would like get fined/suspended as well for something like that. And again, it might all be for not if MacIntyre doesn’t get his hands on Phaneuf. Add to that, MacIntyre is now tossed, and if they wanted to, the Leafs could do the same thing back to Hall, Eberle, Paajarvi, etc… all for a non-conference game.

The league has changed, sadly ;) You can have the Broadstreet Bullies and the Big Bad Bruins type teams, but those are about team toughness, more than one guy running around cheapshoting other teams’ stars. Even back in the 70s, those teams were about team toughness.

I still just think we need more middle weight guys to stand up and answer for guys like Phaneuf.

Really though, I do agree that if Phaneuf roughs up Hall, MacIntyre should beat the shit out of him. Guys just don’t do that anymore. It’s been a beef of mine for a while. I guess everyone probably looks back on stuff like the Bertuzzi incident and how ugly things can turn.

40. oilinblood says:

In a perfect world Orr says no to Mac and Mac goes “ok fine” and turns to dion and beats the snot out of him while Storts returns the favor on Orr and turns Orr down. Orr can pick someonelse if he wants but Kadri is a target if they go to the feather weights.

That being said… after watching about 5 Crosby fights and seeing Gags use Jokinen as a stress reliever… im not worried about the kids in fights. I do worry about cheap shots on the ice though and yes Peckham and Storts could answer if Mac got kicked out. There is also no use whatso ever for Struds as a dman so he should be fighting.

And in my opinion its not a rant just because you wrote alot. I kind of hate half replys so good on you for getting it all out. Also, what is wrong with a rant if it has a concise message and thought behind it? Rant away.

It may not be a perfect world but in my opinion you arent truly restrained by the rules of the world. You need to do what you have to do. Have Mac teach everyone how to fight best based on their build. Everyone can fight if taught. Im sure with Halls and especially eberles lower body strength they can be coached to be pretty vicious if they used their lower body as torque. Crosby fights best when he gets a good hand hold to rag doll opponents, once the opponent is off balance he can rag doll with one hand while punching with the other. The Niskanen fight was a good example of two non fighters but Crosby has fought MClean and Ference and Zidlicky. Crosby didnt get a good hold on Ballard until the end when he took him down but even standing Crosby was worthy of the fight. Once Sid gets a hold though its in his range to win.

Again, I’m not saying MacIntyre shouldn’t lay a beat down on Phaneuf, I’m just saying it doesn’t happen anymore. Not from MacIntyre.. not from anyone really.. you just don’t see it.

Where was the retribution on Mike Richards? Well, he fought Bryan Allen later that year. Not exactly all that menacing. Richards won the scrap. He then fought Booth when Booth came back. Really, each of them maybe landed one punch before they both fell.

What about revenge on Matt Cooke for the hit on Marc Savard? OK, here we go… Shawn Thornton took him on. That should be exactly what you’re looking for here. Well, Thornton did land a pretty hard shot on Cooke that knocked him down, but I’d say all things considered, Cooke didn’t come out of it with too much wear and tear.

I won’t go on again about when Kostitsyn got his face re-arranged by Kurt Sauer. But I think that’s just an example of Laraque respecting the code way too much and being too nice of a guy… but that was the TSN turning point for me when it came to retribution.

I don’t think there was ever any payback for Glencross concussing Drury.

When Quasimodo (Phaneuf) hit Kopitar, the guys on the ice did mob Phaneuf… but as you can guess, Phaneuf came out scot free.

The list unfortunately is pretty long of guys getting away with this crap.

My solution? Be the team starting the shit. lol Remember when Mac first got on our team… aside from when he started the chainsaw on Vandy’s face, he also instigated stuff in a later game by drilling Dustin Boyd hard. And no penalty for it too. That’s what I mean. Maybe we’re saying similar things in a way, but different approaches to it. However, I’m not too confident that MacIntyre can keep up well enough though. But if he could, that’s how I’d use him. You want Orr to fight MacI… make him come to you, kinda thing (it’s got to be in a way that’ll actually work though and keep him in the game).

42. oilinblood says:

Yeah i think we are basically in agreement on what a perfect world would look like. We differ however on the issue of feeling restrained by the current system. I am of the mind that we create the system and that just like an offensive or defensive system can be obliterated by one person and a new age of hockey born… so can the policing and physical side of hockey change based on one coaches moves.
    If someone did a Cooke hit on our guys and i was coach… watch out. I would have immediatley looked to their bench to find the talent that was applauding or laughing… and then send everyone to beat on him. 5 on 1… i dont really care. Cheap shot for cheap sshot.
    I dont agree with going after skilled players- for no reason -which is why id look at the bench. Id find a reason to, a laugh, a snicker, a stick slapping the boards. Then id say to destroy him the next shift.
    My players were mad and beat some lil twerp up? Thats hockey.

The Bertuzzi incident has scared everyone but Bert was wrong. You dont shadow the guy all night and then just jump him from behind when you had other chances. You dont pile drive a player head first (your hand pushing him head first) into the ice with your whole body weight behind the movement. Personally i blame interference on others for the incident -3 people jumping on bert. Stay out of it. I hate that so many people feel the need to get into a fight. Even the linesmen are friggin stupid. Stay the f out of it.
    I also felt Naslund was to blame a bit for the play since he was reaching low and far for the loose puck. Moore didnt come out of nowhere, he hit him from forward and side – a 2 o’clock approach.

argh. I dont like seeing peoples livelyhoods taken away but if you pick the fights, if you want to play the antics, you will need to answer the bell.

Lets just say the next time we go to NYR… from the rangers own room interviews i dont think anyone will be willing to defend avery if Mac takes him aside and throttles him. Will it be worth it than to do this? Avery doesnt even deserve warning but id make it clear that Mac needs to make it clear to Avery that it is going to happen and make sure Avery faces him for the first punch.
    I dont think Boo goes after our guys…especially after him and Boyle commented on the incident. They werent exactly impressed by Avery and Boyle was on record as being a bit disgusted he had to defend Avery.
    OT buit man is Boyle a gem. ARGH how i wanted us to get him. F it.

43. Mr.Majestyk says:

I missed out on this post game conversation the other night. I didn’t realize so many people were upset about the Leaf game. I do remember having a conversation with chucker where we figured Storts probably should have answered the bell in the first period after Armstrong took that 2 minute roughing penalty for giving Paajarvi a shot in the chops after the whistle. It doesn’t seem like much, they didn’t make much of it while the game was on, but there’s definitely a mental aspect to it. He can punch Paajarvi in the face(glove on)and get away with it(we didn’t score on the PP). The rest of the game it gives the Leafs the mental edge.

I’ve been watching some Rob Schremp hockey tonight(Ducks and Islanders are on) and Zenon Konopka would have been a decent guy to have as our enforcer because he actually plays and takes faceoffs too.

Don’t get me started on this Konopka fellow… lol

Cap Hit – Player – FO – %
    2.275 – Gagner – 432 – 44%
    5.500 – Horcoff – 423 – 49%
    1.000 – Cogliano – 266 – 43%

0.600 – Konopka – 449 – 59%

Konopka is a UFA at the end of the season, if he wouldn’t mind being a fourth line center… get r’ done ST.

Konopka is a guy who could replace two guys on our roster. Hopefully Tambi is scouting the Isles.

Test: Strudwick

If Storts could re-establish his role as an agitator I think I’d like to see a line of…

Jones – Konopka – Stortini

It would open up a few roster spots for sure, send down Jacques/Mac/Fraser/Strudwick/Storts.

chucker: Konopka is a guy who could replace two guys on our roster.Hopefully Tambi is scouting the Isles.Test:Strudwick

LOL, sorry, I haven’t taken care of that yet. I just can’t be cruel to the players like that on a regular basis. Funny joke, but I won’t force everyone to call him that. :P

Racki: LOL, sorry, I haven’t taken care of that yet. I just can’t be cruel to the players like that on a regular basis. Funny joke, but I won’t force everyone to call him that.

That’s okay. I just wanted to play a little. :P