GDT: Oilers 4, Lightning 3 (SO) – Game 28 – 2010-12-10 @ 7:00 PM – SNETW

Edmonton Oilers vs. Tampa Bay Lightning
logo AT logo
15-10-3 Record 10-12-5
Location: Rexall Place
Date: December 10, 2010 @ 7:00 PM MST
TV: SNETW

So this game of course marks the debut of another highlty-touted prospect – Linus Omark. Both Omark and Ryan O’Marra were recalled from Oklahoma City on Wednedsay, as replacements for the injured Ales Hemsky and Shawn Horcoff.

We all know Omark from his youtube videos and even a bit this year from camp where he scored quite a pretty goal on a nice individual effort. But the question mark for him has been whether he plays for himself or for the team, so hopefully he’s learned the right answer to that question in Oklahoma City. He’s been tearing it up down there though. He’s on a point-per-game pace so far with 26 points in 26 games, and an even balance of 13 goals and 13 assists. The highlight of his North American professional career came on November 7th, 2010 in an AHL game between the Oklahoma City Barons and the Toronto Marlies. Omark led the Barons to a 7-6 victory by scoring 5 goals in the game (including a goal that tied the game at 6 with under a minute left to force the game to overtime).

O’Marra is also having a good start to his year in Oklahoma City. The big, 6’2″, 200 lb. center has 14 points in 22 games so far (1G and 13A). This isn’t his first trip to the show, however. O’Marra played 3 games last year for the Oilers in which he notched 1 assist. He only took 12 draws, but won 7 of them (58.3%). I thought he played pretty good. It’s nice seeing a big pivot on our team, for once. So I’m a bit excited to see how well he can mesh with the team too. He will likely play with Omark and Jones, if yesterday’s practice lines hold up.

Stamkos has cooled off temporarily, it would seem. He has 2 points in his last 6 games, both were assists (let’s not even talk about the games before – not pretty unless you love the Lightning or goal scoring). Even though I have him in one of the POTF pools, I’m hoping he stays cold tonight. The Lightning are still fairing OK, being 6-3-1 in their last 10. The Oilers have been pretty solid in their last 10 too, with a 6-2-2 record (wowza).

Starting goaltenders tonight appear to be Khabibulin and Ellis. The Lightning like to score goals, and Ellis apparently seems to like letting them in (dropped him like a bad habit in the pool), so I suspect this SHOULD be one of the more exciting games we’ll see this year.

I’m going to call this one a 6-5 Oilers win.

CONFIRMED LINES

Kubina Jones
Clark Hedman

Ellis
Smith

LIVE CHAT

Closed.

30 Responses to “GDT: Oilers 4, Lightning 3 (SO) – Game 28 – 2010-12-10 @ 7:00 PM – SNETW”

1. Mr.Majestyk says:

I dropped Ellis today as well. I’ve got him in the lineup for tonights game, but I hope the Oilers get a big win anyway.

2. Trogdor says:

No players on either side for me in the pools, but I do have tickets tonight so I’ll be hoping to see some “Linus Omark” goals. If the other Oilers want to jump in, I’m fine with that too.

3. MetalOil says:

I too will be at tonight’s game. I got the tickets mainly to see Stamkos but little did I know I would get to see Omark’s first game as an added bonus !!!

GDT chat up. Sorry for delay.. thought I had this up already!

Tencer in regards to Renney’s comments on Omark’s flashy spin-o-rama in the shootout:

Renney says he’s not surprised at what Omark did, and he has no issue with it. Of course he doesn’t…he knew when he decided to put him in.

Renney:

If anyone has a problem with that, then take the shootout out. Simple as that. I can appreciate my opponents disappointment, but I really don’t care. If you can’t accept how the puck crosses the line, then deal with it.

Lighting called it “classless”. Come on, really? Talk about sour grapes. Who called Marek Malik’s goal classless? That was way more hotdogging. I wouldn’t call it classless.. just risky. Who cares how he scores, as long as he scores. Nothing classless about it.

TB coach said after the game that the players aren’t talking about it but they won’t forget (almost sounded like he was implying they’d do something to Omark… these guys rarely play each other, so who cares)

8. MetalOil says:

If anyone has a problem with that they can lick my balls. I myself liked Omark’s little fake shot more then I liked the spin-o-rama but I do think the spin move paved the way for the fake shot to have a greater chance at working, as it did.

The NHL encourages for creativity in the shootout and that’s what Omark brings. I was at the game and the atmosphere was unreal. If anything we need more Omarks in this leauge.

Oh and if Guy Boucher wants to throw out the word “classless” then maybe he should take a look at the play midway through the 2nd period when when Dominic Moore gave an outstanding theatrical performance faking getting hit with Kurtis Fosters apperant high stick. Talk about class, While you are there Guy Boucher you can lick my crack too.I guess people in the hockey world with the initials GB are all douches :)

I think it was Malone that called it classless, although Boucher did basically say the same sort of stuff. Sounds like a few players were ticked about it. But that’s really sour grapes. Nothing wrong with what Omark did. I think his personality rubs me the wrong way (Too cocky), but his shootout move is what the shootout is about for a lot of guys. Do what it takes to score, really. Suck it up, princess.

10. MetalOil says:

I personally think the spin move set up the fake shot great. If it was just a fake shot I do not think it would have been as effective. It’s as simple as that to me.

Yah that was my thoughts too. He said he did the spin move for the crowd, but I think that spin move had a lot to do with Dan Ellis trying to figure out what the eff was happening. Actually, I think he was still trying to figure out where Eberle went from the first shot..

At any rate, see you later Stortini. We have a new agitator, and his name is Linus.

13. MetalOil says:

Yeah I bid future opposition goalies good luck in their scouting of Omarks shootout moves. I have a big feeling he is going to be very unpredictable !!!

14. MetalOil says:

Bostonoiler: Marc Pouliot called out Omark. MARC POULIOT ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Nice goal poo……oops

Hey Poo needs to keep his nose a lil brown to keep that NHL roster spot I would imagine. LOL, Poo the Brown nosier :)

Pouliot said he was embarrassed about Omark. Good point.. I mean, him not scoring wasn’t embarrassing. Dan Ellis having a seizure on the ice when Eberle deked the fuck out of him wasn’t embarrassing. Omark doing a little spin at center ice was embarrassing though.

Cue TSN’s top 10 cockiest shootout goals tape…

That is just the epitome of Linus Omark. I mean the kid just.. the guy just has got a lot of swagger. You know what? A guy like that who plays a creative style – why not? It worked out well for us, and all joking aside it was a huge goal. And that move he pulled, when he got the shot off for the Gilbert goal – I’ve seen that a hundred times… it’s his bread and butter. Everyone else here was surprised. I was telling everyone in the room “you guys are all first timers. I mean, I’ve been seeing this all year.”

Racki: Great quote from Ryan O’Marra tonight on Linus Omark. O’Marra glowed about Omark in an interview and is really proud of how good of a player he is:

Soooooooooo happy with tonight’s game.

19. john says:

Gotta love this team; what a breath of fresh air compared to the last few seasons. Come to think of it, I don’t think I’ve ever been so proud to be the fan of a 24th place team!

20. Mr.Majestyk says:

It was funny hearing all the comments from the Lightning on how upset they were about Omark’s goal. I thought it was great, and I agree with you guys that the spin move got in Ellis’ head. A caller into Overtime Openline last night mentioned that Stamkos walked in a took a slapshot on the shot just before and how that used to be a taboo move to pull off. Now that I think of it, isn’t St.Louis the guy that dumbfounded goaltenders by skating up and turning his back on the goaltender for his signature move? I think at some point the league wanted to review it because they wanted to make sure the puck was making forward progress.

22. john says:

zackman35: Omarks’ goal was all or none, hero or zero. To be honest I was sitting on the edge of my seat wondering if he could pull something off in the show. He put on a hell of a show. Can you imagine if he missed? So many fans would be calling for his head, “you can’t do that kind of thing in the NHL“, “send him back down, he needs to develop” etc. I loved the teams reaction to his goal, from “It was a ballsy move” – Hall, to… you could feel the hair on our necks stand on end -can’t remember, O’Marra’s excitement. The biggest thing that stood out for me though is when Omark mentioned he was nervous/anxious at the beginning of the game but then became more comfortable as it progressed. What happens when this kid figures this league out?

The best part of the Omark goal was the excitement it brought to the players on the bench like you said; maybe seeing that will inspire guys like Hall & Gagner to be a little more creative in the shootouts now. Remember the first couple shootouts Gags did in his first season, the kid was sic! After that 1st season though he really seemed to dumb it down, sort of like conforming to the accepted standard.

Mr. Majestyk: Right on both comments (Stamkos did do the formerly taboo slapper from the high slot and St. Louis was the inventor of the back-turned shootout move).

Btw, as far as records go…. in the last 10 games, the Oilers have the 3rd best record (Pittsburgh and Atlanta ahead of them).

Really though, while I want to savor that moment a bit, the Oilers also had a stinky 3rd period, and I hope they address that. They also didn’t get off to a great start either. Luckily, MVP kept the team in it and stole another one.

John: I think Gagner just figured he had to re-invent himself, since goaltenders study players and know what their moves are. So he figured he’d have a tough time with the deke probably.

Where Omark learned his moves from (credit to Debrusk for the the funny joke last night):

NEWWW…

POOLLLLL…

UPPPP!

25. dawgtoy says:

Poll states shootout move on November 11th??? Am I missing something here?

26. dawgtoy says:

Love that when I go to tsn.ca – Oilers….NHL.com – Oilers….Don Cherry will have it on tonight and likely will complain, but he’s talking Oilers not Maple laughs and we get national attention. The kids have put Oiler hockey back on the map for being an exciting hockey team with a future instead of last years joke. I smile when I talk about the Oilers again, personally I love it!

dawgtoy: Poll states shootout move on November 11th??? Am I missing something here?

Oops! Fixed. Brain fart.

Did a search on Youtube for Matin St. Louis Shootout goals http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=martin+st.+louis+shootout+goal&aq=3

Hypocrite much? Fucktard. Also, saw the exact same move by Stamkos on Youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcMk5GaYiWs :P

29. hemmerlady says:

I don’t understand how the move could be considered “classless”. Cocky, flashy, show-off-y? Sure. But mostly I’d call it “effective”. And I’d call the naysayers “sore losers”.

Good story on TSN about this. http://tsn.ca/nhl/teams/story/?id=345095&hubname=nhl-oilers

Personally, I think it’s just jealousy and wounded pride. Everyone’s seen the St. Louis turn around to his backhand move. If he was a rookie doing that, would he get the same attention. I think he would.

Bottom line, he’s having fun and being effective. One comment below that story says “He’s playing hockey and he’s having fun! Who does he think he is?!” Obvious sarcasm and pretty much nail on the head. Sore losers is right hemmerlady.