GDT: Oilers 2, Ducks 3 (SO)– Game 27 – 2010-12-07 @ 7:30 PM – TSN

Edmonton Oilers vs. Anaheim Ducks
logo AT logo
13-13-3 Record 10-12-4
Location: Rexall Place
Date: December 7, 2010 @ 7:30 PM MST
TV: TSN

The Oilers will attempt a different drive for 5 this year (credit to Trogdor on that one) as they attempt 5 wins in a row. They face the Ducks, whom they’ve already beaten once this year.

As mentioned in the Omark/Nomark thread, there is a rumor floating around (take it with a grain of salt though since it came from what I guess is just a forum user) that the Oilers have put in a claim for Todd White. This makes sense as to why no one has been called up (Todd Nelson claims he hasn’t been approached about a call up either). I don’t expect any roster changes for this game, however.

EDIT: This rumor isn’t true. Todd White cleared waivers today.

I’m calling a win for tonight… #5.

Oilers 5, Ducks 2

CONFIRMED LINES

(Confirmed: no changes to the line up at all tonight)

Paajarvi-Gagner-Jones
Hall-Horcoff-Eberle
Penner-Cogliano-Brule
Jacques-Fraser-Stortini

Peckham – Gilbert
Whitney – Vandermeer
Smid – Foster

Khabibulin
Dubnyk

LIVE CHAT

Closed.

25 Responses to “GDT: Oilers 2, Ducks 3 (SO)– Game 27 – 2010-12-07 @ 7:30 PM – TSN”

1. john says:

Oh boy another win would be great, more importantly the Oilers can afford another win (relative to “The Lottery” lol)& it would be even better to see Calgary lose so we could actually put the Lames solidly in 15th for now ha!

I’m the eternal optimist… or perhaps eternally delusional. I’m thinking again that the Oil have a shot at making the playoffs, so I’m hoping that they keep the winning going. It’s not likely they’ll make it, but they’re only 6 pts out right now. Chances are they will have a really tough time catching up though, even with the way things are going right now. But I’d still like to see them keep winning until it becomes painfully obvious that they are for sure out of the playoffs.

Right now things are going well, and confidence is at an all time high with some of our players here. That can change if the injury bug hits again though.

But for now, I say: keep the foot on the gas.

Hmm.. the great thing about the Monday Morning Standings that Steve-O does is we get to look back in the past to see where we were last year at this same point.

Last year at this point, we were 4 points out of a playoff spot, with one extra game played.. so roughly about the same point.

Some food for thought, I guess. Really a lot can happen in a few weeks time though. The Oilers can be in the mix, or they can end up way out of the mix (or stay about the same). So I’m not giving up hope just yet, even though they are in no better position than they were last year. But they need to keep this win streak alive, if they have hopes of a post-season.

4. john says:

Haha, I know Racki & quite frankly the players have to keep that mentality going as well but for me I think I’m getting addicted to high draft picks, especially if they turn out like Hall! My only concern is we still really need a big, gritty center with hands of silk to build a championship worthy front end & guys like that don’t fall very far down in the first round; niether do blue chip Dmen either for that matter.

We *might* be able to trade/sign one of those types though, given the plethora of cap space we’ve got. I say plethora, but it won’t always be that way though (i.e. once the big 3 re-sign). As for D, I’ve been tooting that horn for a while, but we do have some good promising guys in OKC that will be of help. So who knows.

Btw, Tom Renney has a timeline of Christmas as to evaluating whether they’re in the mix or not. I think if they’re close at that point, they’ll do what they can to STAY close (i.e. maybe some savvy deadline deals). If they’re way out of it again, then it’s time for the fire sale. I like where Renney’s head is at. He seems like a really smart coach that has everyone on the same page from players to fans. Pretty easy to buy what he’s selling.

So, you might be asking.. where were we at Christmas last year? Well, as of December 29th, we were dead last in the league, and 12 points out of playoff contention. That was a pretty obvious “we’re fucked for playoffs” moment. Let’s just wait and see where we’re at this Christmas before deciding what is best for the team. More picks will be great, for sure.. but that also sets the whole plan back a bit as well too while you wait for that new draft pick to turn it to Hockey Jesus. We’ve got a pretty solid base for the next great team. I do like “the more the merrier” approach, but there has to be a point where you go forward with what you have. This year might not be such a bad idea. We’ll see. If they’re stinking it up still come Christmas, I’m all for pulling the plug again. But if they’re in the mix, might as well do all they can to stay in the mix. And again, we can address the big center need in free agency. We also have a guy by the name of Martindale who is currently racking up points for the 67′s. He’s a big kid. There’s also Vande Velde.

But hey, I’m not 100% sold we need a big center either (big wingers would work too). I still think Horcoff and Gagner make a good duo. Horcoff has been phenomenal with the kids.. if he can keep it going, great. But if not, like I said.. there is always free agency.

UFA Centers as of the end of this year (if not re-signed):

Brad Richards is the biggest name out there..

6. john says:

I like what we have right now but without a young hotshot #1 goalie (aka Price, Fleury) in waiting, no blue chip Dman, & no #1 hotshot center I don’t see a cup in our near future. Speed & skill in lieu of size & skill can win you games in a regular night to night basis but going 6 or 7 games in a playoff series against solid teams like Detroit, Philly, or Pittsburgh requires rock solid defence & highly skilled forwards who can break through a defensive phalanx & survive long enough to get the puck in the net as well.

Free agency is definitely always an option but it hasn’t worked out very well for us in recent history. First of all most of these guys like Richards are a little long in the tooth to fit the current mold of our team & second they are always overpriced.

Yah but we’re not going for the cup tonight or anything. That stuff can be acquired. We do need improvements, for sure, but we’ll also need a strong core of vets too (again, the glue players) to make us better, and those are guys you pick up along the way. Petry, Plante and Belle are 3 solid d-men too.. theres no Lidstrom though, no.

The Flyers might be a good example though to compare against, if we think they’re good enough to make the cup final (again). Michael Leighton and Boucher are who they rode last year for goaltenders. Their top centerman is about Gagner size. They do have Carter though, but he missed half the playoffs last year. Their big d-man was acquired via trade (that douche, Pronger). I don’t think we’re as bad off as you think. Yah for sure it would be awesome to be a completely stacked team of young stars all around like say the Hawks… but that isn’t the only winning formula, in my opinion.

What I think we want to do is continue to draft as smart as we can (a la Detroit) to keep that prospect pool going, and make some very SMART acquisitions here and there to fill in gaps on this team.

Detroit also has done really well with Chris Osgood (in the past) who many would have considered a pretty sketchy goaltender. Now they’re making themselves contenders again with a goaltender who wasn’t even drafted, in Howard.

Goaltenders also take a long time to develop. Olivier Roy might be a really good goaltender, but we won’t be seeing that for quite a while.. nevermind a goaltender drafted within the next couple of years.

Free agency is also just one option. We might be able to get lucky in some deadline deals too like when we acquired Roloson (although I think Khabibulin can get the job done for now though, if he stays healthy.. but when we’re ready to compete for the Stanley Cup, he won’t cut it, no). I think we have a pretty strong core of forwards and blueliners, to be honest. I’ve been preaching the d-man for a while, but Petry and Belle really are doing wonders in OKC, and Plante is also a good defensive d-man too. So who knows. I’m just thinking that our core of players isn’t bad as many would think. I think it is something you can really build around… we just need this current group to get some good experience.

That all said, if we’re stinking it up come January, I’m all for pulling the plug on the season :P But I’ll be cheering for wins in the meantime.

(p.s.: it should be noted that I flip-flop on this stance with every dip/rise in the Oilers roller coaster ride.. lol)

Close and well played game. Both teams had chances, and we got a point so my only compliant would be these guys suck in the shootout and they really need to work on that. Horcoff getting hurt suks, hopefully its nothing too bad. Other than that they played a good game and got a well deserved point. Lets hope a close loss doesnt keep them down, and the response Friday night is important. Jones also keeps growing on me, and Hall looks great. GO OILERS

9. Haboiler says:

Renney just said looks like 8 weeks for Horcoff! MCL issues.

That Horcoff injury REALLY hurts……Ryan O’Marra on the way up?

Haboiler: Renney just said looks like 8 weeks for Horcoff!MCL issues.

OH fuck. Fantastic… :(

Nothing can go right for that guy. Same as 3 years ago when he was having a career year… ends up getting hurt.

I guess this helps us with another dive for 5, doesn’t it? ;)

Some twats:

Ryan Rishaug:

Someone will be called up tomorrow by oilers, not sure yet who. Need a centre, though brule can play there, may look at penner in middle.

Jason Gregor:

Renney might move Penner or Brule to middle. They will decide tonight and tomorrow morn. Make a shopping list and decide after.

Dan Tencer:

Horcoff: “I felt it kinda pop right away. I took a face off and went to the net and tried to stop…but there was nothing there.”

Dustin Nielson @ TEAM 1260:

Apparently Horcoff has a third degree tear of his MCL…out atleast two months..

My own personal call….. like Gregor says, move Penner or Brule to center. Then call up Omark. Leave the rest of OKC intact for now.

13. Trogdor says:

PILLAGE!!! Here we go again.

14. Haboiler says:

Does RedOX have to clear waivers on the way up? I think they might bring O’Marra as well.

Well, lottery pick here we come. Omark should get the call and maybe O’Marra too. Is O’Marra still hurt though?

Haboiler: An OKC Barons twit said he did have to clear waivers.. however it wasn’t from anyone officially in the know.

My thoughts are that no, Gingerballs doesn’t have to clear recall waivers because he is on a 2-way contract with a salary of less than $105,000 ($90k to be exact).

Here is an explanation from NHLScap on this:

Re-entry waivers – new to this CBA is the provision that certain players recalled to the NHL must clear waivers to join the team holding his NHL rights; any other team may claim said player for 50% of his cap hit and salary, with the team attempting to recall taking the other 50% of each. In general, players are not subject to re-entry [recall] waivers unless:

The player is on a 1-way contract and is subject to waivers when assigned to the minors; or
    The player is on a 2-way contract whose minor league salary is in excess of
    2007-08: $100,000
    2008-09: $100,000
    2009-10: $105,000
    2010-11: $105,000
    2011-12: $105,000

#2 above does not apply to a player who

If a goalie, the goalie has played in 180 or more professional games [NHL, AHL, or ECHL; regular season and playoffs] or, if a skater, 320 or more professional games; AND
    Has not spent more than 80 games on an NHL roster in the prior 2 seasons or 40 or more games on an NHL roster in the immediately prior season.

17. Haboiler says:

Thats what I thought. I think he only has to go on waivers is if they send him back down much like they did at the start of the year.

Haboiler: Thats what I thought.I think he only has to go on waivers is if they send him back down much like they did at the start of the year.

More info on that from NHLScap:

If a player cleared waivers and is subsequently recalled during the same year, he does not have to clear waivers again unless he has either played 10 or more NHL games or has spent 30 or more days on an NHL roster since last clearing. Otherwise, he will have to re-clear waivers to be assigned.

So from that, I guess that means it depends on how long he’s up here then, right? If they keep him for 10 games or 30 days, then he’d have to re-clear waivers, if what the above says is true and I understand correctly. Horc will be out longer than that though, but maybe they can dodge this waiver issue by only bringing him up for a short stint or something.

19. Haboiler says:

Sounds good. It will be interesting to see if they can pull it together rather than tank like this time last year.

Well I look at it this way, we played a great third period without Horcoff. I think we can survive, but remember last time Horcs was out this year we were crushed every single gay minus the New Jersey OTL. I’m just gonna stay positive because they almost (and if it wasn’t for Hiller would have) won that game last night. I think you have t ocallup Reddox or O’Marra, NOT Omark. Lets face it, Omark doesn’t fit what we need right this second. Reddox plays the PK and is an energy guy, while O’Mara is good at faceoffs and plays the pk. I would like to have Ryan O’Mara come up and see if he can handle the role if we lose Cogliano after the season. I’d also keep Brule on the wing right now.

Hall-Gagner-Eberle
    Penner-Cogliano-Brule
    Paajarvi-O’Marra-Jones
    JFJ-Fraser-Stortini

I’d role with that until something happens. Hemsky will be out for a month, and that hurts us a lot, but I think losing Horcoff for the very least two months will really hurt this team for as long as he is out. If I’m Tambellini, maybe I’m looking at a trade to pickup a center who can play the 3rd line.

My money on a callup however is on Reddox and O’Marra and not Omark.

Good points, B.O.

I’m all for bringing up O’Marra, Omark and Reddox. Demote JFJ or Stortini.

Despite being a fan of both of those guys in the past, I’m more about “what have you done for me lately” and the answer for both is “Jack and shit, and Jack left town”. I’d be a bit more hesitant to demote Stortini, but for sure Jacques I would be OK with demoting. I think they only need to bring up two guys though. I’d say if you want the two best guys avail, bring up Omark and Reddox. If you want to leave OKC with a bit of offensive help, then bring up O’Marra and Omark.

Steve-O: I’m all for bringing up O’Marra, Omark and Reddox.Demote JFJ or Stortini.

motherfucking +1.

At he very least send down Storts and bring up O’Marra and Omark…I still like what JFJ brings to the fourth line, and considering how long he was off I think he deserves some more games to get caught up.

Nobody’s gonna pick JFJ off of waivers. Send him down, bring up O’Marra and Reddox together.

I don’t get this team and their fears of other teams picking up their project players. Same crap with JDD. Nobody wanted him and nobody will (on waivers) because they have to be on the regular roster. Send him down already.