GDT: Oilers 4, Canadiens 3 (OT) – Game 24 – 2010-12-01 @ 5:00 PM – TSN

Edmonton Oilers at Montreal Canadiens
logo AT logo
7-12-4 Record 15-8-1
Location: Bell Centre
Date: December 1, 2010 @ 5:00 PM MST
TV: TSN

For many years since I was old enough to watch hockey, I was an Oilers fan first and a Habs fan second. So I’ve followed these guys for years and years as a second favorite team. That said, I’m hoping the Oilers spank them tonight. But I don’t think it will be an easy task the way Price has been playing (he will get the start tonight).

Some roster changes tonight for the Oilers. Gerber has been returned back to Oklahoma City as Khabibulin will come off the IR. Hemsky also makes his triumphant return to the lineup tonight (woohoo) and will play with Gagner and Paajarvi. I like that, because right now Penner, Cogliano and Brule are flying… you don’t want to break up a good thing, especially since Cogliano and Brule were slumping big time before. I hope that Paajarvi can be worked out of a scoring slump of his own, playing with Gagner and Hemsky.

Prediction: 3-1 Oilers

Gill – Gorges
Picard – Subban

Price
Auld

LIVE CHAT

Closed.

13 Responses to “GDT: Oilers 4, Canadiens 3 (OT) – Game 24 – 2010-12-01 @ 5:00 PM – TSN”

I like how Paajarvi is finally being giving A+ linemates. Should help him greatly.

This isn’t the first time Paajarvi has played with Hemsky though. They haven’t played much together though. I know they played two games together at least… one was vs. the Hawks where we won 7-4 (Paajarvi had 2 assists).

Hopefully they leave it this way a bit to see if they develop chemistry.

I really like the forward lines tonight.

Paajarvi-Gagner-Hemsky is a real fast and exciting line
    Hall-Horcoff-Eberle
    Penner-Cogliano-Brule we know what these two lines can do, in my mind we now have three lines that can score goals, something every team wants.

I also really like the Jones-Fraser-JFJ line, they are physical and bring energy. I really like what Jones has brought to the table this season.

On defense I hope we see Gilbert keep up his recent strong play, which has been much to my surprise. Keep Peckham and Whitney on the ice for a good amount of time, and use Gilbert, , Vandy and Foster when needed, and tonight’s game is winnable.

Great comeback by the boys. After the timeout was called they played really well. Gagner looked really good tonight, and Hemsky was on fire. I really liked the line combos and thought this was a real good win. Good work tonight!

5. john says:

Hell yah! Maybe I’m imagining things but it looks like most of the players are starting to buy into Renney’s systems & just as important they are playing with confidence. Still in the bottom 5 for a decent pick but giving us something to cheer for at the same time; very nice ;)

I’m still hopeful they can pull the season out of the fire, although for me the worst possible outcome is another 10th-ish finish in the conference… not good enough to make the playoffs, not bad enough for a good pick. Hate that.

7. NorwegianOiler says:

I will be stunned if they finish outside of the bottom 5. At this point, they’re pulling the season out of the fire with a twig. They can poke for a while, but I suspect combustion sooner rather than later. Still, I think we’ll continue to see progress, however stalled by the odd 3-8 game losing streaks we have grown to cherish. As long as we don’t bury the confidence of our young talent in the rubble, we’ll be fine.

Eberle’s still making clever little plays, Pääjärvi continues to skate hard and Hall keeps forechecking like a Thor’s Hammer. Sometimes Hall can make it seem so simple, just skating into the passing lane and picking up the puck from the defenceman. Peckham’s doing well (Greene clone), Hemsky’s growing defensively (Datsyukian potential?)…

Yah NO: Ultimately, making the playoffs isn’t going to happen (or is extremely unlikely), but with some luck, they could get out of the bottom 5 (perhaps BAD luck). Really, they’re 1 point away from being out of the bottom 5.. so I wouldn’t say they’re a shoe-in for bottom 5. I am not disillusioned to think they’ll make the playoffs either, I just think they might start righting the ship and end up in that mediocre standings spot I hate so much.

On Hemsky, yes, I’d noticed too.. he’s been one of the better defensive forwards this year (not that this is saying much). Great job by him to improve that aspect of his game while still being an offensive threat.

9. NorwegianOiler says:

‘Stunned’ wasn’t the best word to describe my sentiment, but I expect us to finish bottom 5 and see our poor special teams, weak blueline and lack of reliable defensive forwards as the main reasons (Khabibulin’s erratic netminding aside). Our young players are simply not good enough to make up for our deficiencies at the moment (like how Crosby makes any 3rd line winger look good).

It will be a ‘race’ between us and the Isles, mainly. I expect the Devils to move out of the mire and into playoff contention sooner rather than later, while Calgary, Minnesota and Toronto will keep ahead of us by virtue of losing just a bit less than we do.

Florida, Islanders or Oilers for bottom 3, perhaps?

I honestly am hopeful of it, as wrong as that sounds, just because I think there is no chance of playoffs this year. So yah, getting as high a pick as possible and a shot at Couturier (I’m on that bandwagon now, despite our need for a stable d-man.. but he sounds like the best guy available) is what I’d like to see happen. These kids will be fine in the wake of an ugly season, I’m sure. I’m not too optimistic (its wrong saying it that way, isn’t it?) that we’ll finish in the bottom 3, so I hope this year’s pool is really deep.

NorwegianOiler: Florida, Islanders or Oilers for bottom 3, perhaps?

My hunch based on goal and shot diff is that Florida moves up some. But we’ll see how that plays out.

EDIT: And just in case anyone is interested in why I think this basically look at the goal diff on this and I think where teams that are up top with a negative diff will move down, and teams at the bottom with a plus (or close to) diff will move up.

12. oilinblood says:

boston traded Sturm and his 3.5 cap hit to LA for…. unknown.

Again…. its not making sense.

Dubs for Tavares

oilinblood: boston traded Sturm and his 3.5 cap hit to LA for…. unknown.I still cant believe CLB and ANA are in the top 8 and SJ and STL are out. Doesnt make much sense to me for that. Sturm being in LA makes little sense unless LA feels they have a trade partner who can take $$$ off their hands…they might even flip sturm but that would be difficult considering he had to waive his NTC already.Again…. its not making sense.LA is sitting against the cap WITHOUT Sturm (when taking into account bonuses likely to be achieved) who will be on LTIR still with his MCL or ACL issue. ETA of 3 weeks…. but even then he will likely only be at 70% plus a fragile knee.I wish the ISles still had Mad Mike in charge. If that was the case, this would be just about the time where he would likely be shopping Tavares and we would be in the mix. He loved his goalies….Dubs for Tavares

He’s a LW and Smyth has struggled this year. Williams has been terrific though and is an UFA at year’s end according to capgeek. Savard must be closer to coming back than expected. Smyth is still signed until 2012 though.

Perhaps a trade is brewing with the extra LW’s in LA. I’m not sure about Ponikarovsky, but he’d be the guy I would single out as being tradebait if need be. I think they have space due to injuries though.