By , November 24, 2010 9:53 am
Are you a Peter Puffer?!?

'Are you a Peter Puffer?!?'

TOM RENNEY LAYS ASS-WHOOPIN’

Some of the memorable quotes from last night’s beat down on the Oilers’ collective ego (taken from Edmonton Journal):

That was an absolute joke, a travesty. We win a game (against Anaheim Sunday, 4-2) and we figure we’re going to be hoisting the Cup. Our battle level was non-existent tonight, the pride in the jersey was not even close what it needs to be. They figure he’s (Dubnyk) going to lead them to the Promised Land, I guess, because he’s been so great.

It starts in the morning when the guys come to the skate. That’s when you get prepared. You have a night (with their dads after a golf tournament) to take a breather but when you get up the next day, it’s game day. Doesn’t matter what time it is. We’re a team that has to come to the rink every day and work on something. We had a complete lack of focus and a commitment to each other and the game plan.

(On giving Magnus Paajarvi more ice time yesterday):
He’s been a good soldier, he’s bounced around the lineup without a complaint, ever. This was an opportunity to give him more ice and the way he was handling it, I thought he get a touch or two and score (he hasn’t in 12 games). I was thinking more about him than the team. Obviously, they weren’t thinking about anything else.

Renney has been pretty supportive of the team in the face of another bleak season, so I’m surprised he went on this rant, but it is pretty deserved. This team is Jekyll and Hyde. You never know which one will show up. That’s just how it will be for such a young team, but nothing really seems to motivate these guys for very long and gets the message through their thick skulls.

Oil Change 2

Now on to Oil Change episode 2. Here are my notes from that.. bear in mind, these were done before last night’s game.. so the Renney comments are kind of a laugh now with the news of him exploding on the team.

– Ralph Kreuger likes to joke around with the players and is considered a “players coach”.
– Talking with Steve MacIntyre he says he thinks he’s getting better and isn’t a risk defensively.
– Cogliano asked Ralph Kreuger for more PK time (really timidly by the way.. kind of funny). Kreuger said it wasn’t his call, but thought he could be a great penalty killer some day. Good to hear Cogliano interested in getting better at that. Take that, you fuckin’ bastards that say he doesn’t accept a “Marchant 2.0 role”.
– The team did some great faceoff drills where they had a competition of 3(?) teams and counted up who won the most faceoffs. The losing team looked to be stuck doing pushups afterwards.
– In the SJ game in October where the Oilers started good, but got blown out later, Renney benched Vandermeer. Part way through, Kreuger asked if they should sit him for 8 minutes and then see how he responds, to which Renney shook his head.
– Kreuger asked Smid about playing the right side. Smid said “why?” … almost like he was scared about playing the right side and later admitted he wasn’t comfortable at all. Kreuger razzed him a bit afterwards asking if he can skate backwards. Kreuger seems to really be able to connect/laugh with the players, which is good to see. I don’t think many of us knew much about him, coming in. Renney and Kreuger asked the question because Foster was out, and the team would be stuck with two lefties playing together. They eventually break the news that Smid will stay on the left, much to his relief.
– Renney is a very positive coach, from what I can see. He is constantly trying to motivate these guys, even when they’re down and seems to send the message to play it a period at a time…. win the period. This may have helped the team come back vs. the Flames from down 4-1 to tie it up and force overtime and a shootout (which they lost, but just being there after being down that much is a big thing).
– They show Hall and Smid goofing around having a sparring match in practice before the game vs. the Blue Jackets.
– In an interview for this show, Hall talks about his not having scored his first goal yet, and he says he knows it will happen and isn’t worried and just hopes it will open things up once the first one comes.
– Some of Horcoff’s leadership, outspokenness and ability to motivate is really highlighted in this game vs. the Jackets, as Horcoff is mic’d up. On one play as Hall was coming in on the goaltender and you could hear Horcoff say “come on kid”, hopeful he’d score, but Hall shot was saved. Horcoff also spends some time in this game offering advice to Paajarvi on the bench and shows great patience and mentorship with him. Later in the game, Horcoff later yells “Go to the net! Here!” and Hall does so and manages to get his first goal after banging in a rebound on a shot (I think by Horcoff). At the end of the game in the dressing room, he credits Dubnyk, saying “that’s a huge first start for us Doobie, you got us a point, that’s the way.” I realize this all sounds a little silly the way I’m tooting Horcoff’s horn. But I just think it ends any questions about a rift in the dressing room between veterans and youth.
– Smid is a pretty vocal and funny guy too, always razzing other players. He says to the camera man: “Want to see the ugliest guy on the team? Storts come over here, you’re making Geico commercial”
– Renney knows his shit and it shows vs. the Hawks, giving advice to get in the face of Seabrook and Keith because they are good if you respect them, but average if you get in their face. He also points out how Turco likes to play the puck behind his net and rip it around, and the Oilers take his advice perfectly and you see examples of this working perfectly (Turco getting the puck taken away on a hard around, Seabrook coughing up the puck when pressured). This was the big 7-4 win.
– Renney is pissed vs. the Canucks. He says in a timeout (maybe TV timeout) to get in the game or get off the ice and threatens that he’d play with six guys if he has to (i.e. six guys that work and bench the rest). The Oilers lose this one 4-3.
– I’ve noticed from time to time, Devan Dubnyk isn’t your typical goaltender when it comes to personality. Most of these guys are usually off in their own world, but he’s pretty vocal and clowns around with the team a fair bit. One instance this is shown… after watching goaltender coach Fred Chabot firing pucks at Khabibulin (in which Chabot says “nice save” to Khabibulin once or twice) and it becomes his turn to practice. Doobie jokes to Chabot: “Can I get a ‘nice save’ everytime I stop one? All practice? Yah Doobie!”.
– They give a brief spot on Kim Amirault being hired as performance consultant.
– Chabot points out a stat of “66% of the goals are in the bottom half of the net”.
– Against the Hawks, Buchberger and someone else comment on something being wrong with Horcoff.. an injury they aren’t sure about. He’s out the next game due to a “thigh contusion”.
– Horcoff spots a fan wearing his jerseys in the crowd and jokes with Vandermeer about how it’s good to see he’s got support all the way in Carolina.
– Renney is stuck benching more players in an ugly one vs. Carolina. “The only currency a coach has is ice time. No one wants to sit,” Renney says to the camera crew.
– Time for an ugly one, as they show highlights of the 8-2 thumping by the Rangers. Renney supported Smid in trying to start something with Avery after Fraser was hit. While the score was ugly, Renney at least credited the team for standing up for each other in that game, and I can agree with that. It was an ugly game, but there was one positive in it to be had.

Anyone have anything else to add that I may have missed?

BELLE ASSIGNED TO OKLAHOMA CITY

Shawn Belle has been re-assigned to the Oklahoma City Barons. This was expected, as Ladislav Smid should be back for the Colorado game on Thursday.

35 Responses to “Renney lays a beating on the team + Oil Change Episode 2 Summary + Belle assigned”

1. MetalOil says:

Small addendum to the article, Shawn Belle has been sent back down to OKC. I liked him here, showed good promise. Maybe not enough for the big wigs (which I don’t get – and I’m basing this on what the media is saying, not on him being sent down, which does makes sense to do), but he has potential to be reliable here. He was called up of course on Smid’s absence. Smid should be back for Thursday’s game against Colorado.

3. John says:

MetalOil: I don’t know it it’s just me but through out that whole Oil Change segment every time I saw Gilbert on camera he had that same uninterested/I just wanna go home and cash my paycheck look on his face. Let this be a lesson to all GMs out there. Do Not give multimillion dollar contracts out to rookies coming off of one decent season. Maybe if he was given a 2 year 1.8 million dollar contract after his rookie year things would have been different because right now Gilbert looks like a player who cashed out after one good season packed it in and then laughed all the way to the bank and laughed a lil bit more afterward.

You are 100% right, you are NOT the only one who noticed. Everytime the camera panned on Gilby I was hoping someone in the locker room would notice & slap him upside the head! He appears to have a worse attitude than Souray had :(

4. John says:

Belle looked real good to me, he didn’t put himself out of position too much to try to force a play & was one of the better PKers quite often. He’ll be back for sure!

Insert eyeroll here. Come on..

I’ll dump on Gilbert when he does stuff like skate behind the goal line and get stripped of the puck, or leave the front of the net uncovered, but this is a little much, no? Judging facial expressions in the locker room? Maybe I have to watch it again to see what you guys are talking about, but I have to say it sounds a little like bashing the goat because he’s the goat.

Btw, moved these posts here, since this new thread is started about the show.

6. John says:

Sorry Racki but I won’t budge from my comment on Gilbert. I used to be one of his biggest supporters but he has quickly sunk to the bottom of my list. He has been easily the softest defenceman the Oilers have this year if not one of the softest players on the ice period. Maybe it has something to do with his extremely nonchalant attitude he is sporting these days as personafide in the Oil Change episode.

John: no need to back down from it, I just thought it was strange you guys would judge based on something like a look on a player’s face. I don’t think you can really tell from that. Especially if he’s just hanging his head in the locker room or something. I’d have to see it again, perhaps.. wasn’t something I would think would really be all that telling though. What made you guys think that? Was he giving Renney dirty looks.. or did he have $-sign contacts in? lol

8. John says:

well it’s pretty hard to have an objective discussion about it until you have a better look I guess. He has the same look on his face whether Renney is giving them shit or trying to inspire them. If looks could talk his would say; “Yadda Yadda Yadda coach, been there heard it about a hundred times & it never does any good so please fuck off & give us some peace…”

Yah you’re right on that… I’ll take a look.. but I just can’t think of there being any way I can tell that he’s indifferent or whatever unless it’s incredibly obvious, like he’s rolling his eyes at things Renney says. But I’ll give it a gander…

I just know that people get way over-sensitive to anything with Tom Gilbert. I don’t think he’s as good a defensemen as we hoped, but I don’t think there’s anything wrong with his character. I often see people saying “fucking Gilbert!” if he’s on the ice, whether he screwed up or not. That’s not to say I don’t see the problems, cause I do at times.. just I think people take it too far. This isn’t new with Gilbert… it’s happened with other players before too. It’s what we do here. I think I’ve even done it.

But you are right that we can’t discuss his dressing room aura too much if I haven’t had a close enough look. To be honest, I thought the whole dressing room looked really indifferent when Renney was speaking. Maybe a few guys didn’t. But most seemed to be doing their thing while he was talking, and I just chalked it up to they’re listening, but still busy doing what they have to do.

10. MetalOil says:

Maybe I am a judging facial expressions a bit too much (maybe not though) and I can admit to making those comments out of frustration over Gilbert’s play but I still stand by the rest of my original post. The part about mailing it in after getting that huge contract(for a rookie at least) That is by far a much more devastating contract then Horcoff’s contract is. At least in Horcoff’s case he had proved to be a reliable player over an extended period of time. There was just no reason to give someone coming off just one good rookie season that kind of pay raise.

The Oilers logic is that they have to play Gilbert the big minutes because 1) His contract dictates so & because 2) the rest of the defense probably would not fare much better. This is bad logic IMO and all that will happen by continuing to play Gilbert on the first pairing is that they will ruin him to the point of no return.

Many People are calling for Gilbert to be sent down to OKC but lets be realistic here. Gilbert does not have the tools to be a first unit defender taking on the opposing teams best players. Gilbert on the 2nd pairing might work a lil better and by not taking on the toughest competition he might slowly but surely start regaining that lost confidence. At this point we should just accept the fact that Gilbert is not a top 2 Dman and breed him into a permanent 2nd unit Dman and just wait patiently until we can acquire a top unit defender and not ruin any potential that Gilbert has.

Renney ripped into the team hard after last nights loss but he should be ripped just as hard if not harder over his handling of Gilbert. He is throwing the Kid into situations he cannot handle and it is ruining the guy and possibly beyond repair. This first unit role for Gilbert has to stop and it has to happen now.

11. MetalOil says:

Also Hemsky hurt his leg today in practice. Trainers don’t think it is too serious though. Humm 1st Khabby goes down then Hemsky potentially does, Players going through illnesses( Well just Peckham with a minor bout of the flu). Does all this sound familiar to anyone? Only difference is We sucked ass before all this went down compared to last season when we were doing alright.

Honestly MO, we’re on the same page in that regard with Gilbert. I don’t have any issues with his character and what not, I just think he’s struggling (most likely due to the pressure of the contract/fan expectations and not likely due to indifference or having his money and really wanting to mail it in). He shouldn’t be in the place that he’s in right now, no. Peckham should be getting more ice time, and I think the MSM is putting pressure on Renney to do that now with recent articles in the journal and such. So we’ll see if that changes. Even Whitney isn’t Whitney. But he’s getting a free pass, because he’s a bit more of a poster child. Remember this post, because if things don’t change, I can almost guarantee that Whitney will be the whipping boy within the year. He gets more of a free pass because he’s accumulating assists, but he’s been poor defensively this year too.

Foster has also been horrendous many a night this year, defensively.

Peckham has been the only consistent D-men, in my mind. Smid hasn’t been too bad either.

I think the problem is we only have two d-men that play the right side well (I use ‘well’ loosely’): Gilbert and Foster. And say what you will about Gilbert being bad, but Foster is SCARY bad with worse competition. I think that’s one thing people forget about. We need to force a player to be uncomfortable on the right side. Smid said in Oil Change 2 that he doesn’t want to do it. I would guess that Peckham isn’t comfortable there either… food for thought.

The only solution is the Oilers look for a guy who can comfortably play the right side with a large amount of ice time and play well defensively.

So far the injury bug is very tame this year compared to last year, so it’s not familiar yet. This is a normal team’s injury problems. But lets not jinx the team here talking about it! :P

H:How tall are you, Private?
    C:Sir, five foot nine, sir!
    H:Five foot nine? I didn’t know they stacked shit that high!

As hard as it is to watch I’d say stick with the dive for five. Give the three rookies plenty of playing time, well four including Peckham too. We can address plenty of the roster holes in the off-season/trade deadline. There seem to be quite a few free-agents this year that may have some value to us…

Forwards
    Hall – Horcoff – Hemsky
    PRV – Gags – Eberle
    Cole (2.100) – Connolly (4.200) – Brule
    ??? – Fraser – Stortini

Defense
    Eric Brewer ($5.250m) – Whitney
    Gilbert – Steve Montador ($2.700m)
    Foster – Smid/Peckham

Goalie
    Nikolai Khabibulin
    Devan Dubnyk

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
    (these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
    SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $53,600,000;
    BONUSES: $3,787,500
    CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $5,800,000

Barganing Chips Trade-deadline/Off-season: Penner, Cogs, Souray???

Top Three Draft Choices: Larrson/RNH (Toss-up), Couturier
    Possibly acquire another first round draft pick and or prospect with bargaining chip.

Realistically, I think Brewer would probably make a good case for a four or five year deal, the other players signed: Montador, Connolly, Cole would probably be a two or three year deal at most.

I think on defense you’re not taking into consideration LHD / RHD.

Brewer I believe plays the left side, with Erik Johnson on right. We need a top-tier RHD. Montador plays the right side, but I’m not sure if he’s the best bet as a top pairing. No worse than what we have, perhaps, but I think we could do better. You listed him as our second pairing, so I know you didn’t suggest him on the top pairing.. but I think we really should aim for a top pairing RHD.

I even have no issues with keeping Gilbert here. I think he’d be a lot better with less pressure on him. I don’t care about guys’ contracts as long as we have the cap space and they’re fitting in.

I’m thinking about other RHD out there. Someone mentioned Dan Girardi this week. That’s the kind of player we need, really, although I’d guess they’re types teams have a tough time parting with. But if we provide one of our better older assets on forward, it might help flush out these players, plus net us a bit more. And I think having that player to play top line minutes in a shut down role will ease the transition for defensemen coming into the league on our team. No more having to throw them into big minute / high pressure roles like we did with Gilbert.

Ah, no I didn’t really take that into account. And that was me who mentioned Girardi. So maybe something like this?

Whitney – Girardi
    Montador – Gilbert (Both RHD)
    Smid – Foster

Peckham

I just really can’t see us prying away Girardi from the Rangers though. Maybe for Penner but I doubt it.

17. MetalOil says:

gr8one: I just watched Episode 2, and I made a point to pay attention to Gilbert based on what has been said here, and I honestly gotta say that I think whoever made the comments about Gilbert having a poor attitude based on his expression’s is off base.I personally thought he looked just as engaged as anyone else, and although I agree that there were times his expressions didn’t look enthusiastic, I’d still say that considering it was always after a tough loss/and or during a Renney tongue slashing that his expressions seemed appropriate.That being said though, he has played terribly…but I honestly believe that part of his terrible play is the fact that he is being asked to be something he’s not. Let’s face it…Gilby is and always will be a finesse player, and I’m not sure he will ever be a first pairing D expected to be able to play the tough minutes. If we had a bona-fide top pairing shut down guy to play with Whitney on the first pairing and left some softer minutes and PP time to Gilby, I think he’d excel in that role.anyways…man Oil change is a fantastic series, how often are they doing episodes?

You just watched episode 2 or was it 3??? Because in episode 3 he just looked uninterested. NVM i just noticed that the first Oil Change is just listed as piliot and then 1 and 2.
    I’m in the middle of reviewing the episode and I am even more convinced now.

Here is a summary:
    @ 1:19 (Act 1)Renney is addressing the team after a loss to the flames and Gilbert is starring at the floor and brushing his hair back. I also see many other players (but not all)with their eyes focused solely on the head coach.

@ 4:11 (Act 1) There are a group of players huddeled around Renney at the boards going over a drill. He has a somewhat focused look on his face but notice who the last one on their feet at the end of the lesson is?

@2:15(Act 2) Sorry but not looking to happy to be there as he lets out a frustrated breath of air out right in the middle of another Renney speach. Again eye’s nowhere near the coach.

@3:44 (Act 2) Not to sure what to make of his facial expression there. Kind of biting his lip there.

@1:08 (Act 3) Finally Gilbert shows some emotion(Thats all I am looking for) after he scores a goal against the flames.

@6:17 & 6:25(Act 3) Gilbert is hidden behind coach Renney but once Renney steps back a slouched back Gilbert is revealed. Not good body language their and again eye’s nowhere near the coach.

They have Gilbert in a few more shots throughout and it’s the same facial expressions/Body language as before. He just looks broken to me, lost all his confidence but at the same time he does not seem to trying enough to work his way out of it and taking on a feeling sorry for himself sort of thing and that can’t be a good thing for the other guys in the room to be seeing. I would give him more of a break if I saw more emotion, dedication and focus out of him but he does not appear to be doing that, at least not in my opinion.

It’s the third episode, but called episode two, because the first episode was the “pilot”. Confusing yes, but I’m referring to the same episode you guys are. lol

/edit

I just saw your edit and raised you an edit! :p

@MetalOil:

First off, thanks for pointing out the parts you were talking about. Did my best to match up the times/acts as on PVR I don’t have much of a timing.. just the minute it’s in.. and I presume by acts you mean parts after commercial. But I just got to the ballpark time frame you appear to be talking about and watched for what you described, and I could tell exactly which clips you were talking about.

@1:19 (Act1): The clip was so short and insignificant.. the clip lasted about 2 seconds, if even, and was just of Gilbert pushing his hair back. You really can tell me that this was a sign of a bad attitude?

@4:11 (Act1): This one is laughable to me too. There’s a split second difference between other players getting up and him getting up. Pretty insignificant here.

@2:15 (Act2): Really sensing a trend here. He wipes sweat off his hair and then breathes out. I don’t think it’s anything substantial at all either. Again, this is a really short clip and there’s absolutely no way you can infer anything from it.

@3:44 (Act2): Seconds before, they show Jones with a very similar blank stare that looks like he’s soaking it in / thinking about it… same thing with Gilbert. But really, for all I know he could just have gas. Nothing here either.

@1:08 (Act3): nothing to say here, since you credit him with emotion.

@6:17 & 6:25(Act 3): OK, the 6:25 part, he maybe doesn’t seem 100% tuned in, but before that, they show Eberle looking down at the ground too, and Hemmer is sitting their tying (or untying) his skates. Soooo.. I think you’ve got nothing here, again, sorry.

I hate to say it, but this is what I am starting to see that this guy is the goat. Doesn’t matter what he does, or if someone else is doing the same thing.. if it’s Gilbert, it’s a heinous act.. if it’s someone else it’s OK. Sorry to make it sound like I’m being a dick about it to you. You’re still a respected poster in my eyes, just this particular issue we disagree on. His play stinking and needing to be better (and/or him needing to drop a spot in the depth chart).. that we agree on though.

20. MetalOil says:

The Acts come from the Oilers video player where it it divided into 7 Acts.

I was actually expecting a reply like this. Yes many of of parts that I pointed out were too small to paint a totally accurate picture but overall he does not seem to be giving it his all or focusing enough to leave me satisfied. Yeah other players were guilty of this too but to me at least it did not seem to occur near as often as with Gilbert.

Where’s the emotion? I saw absolutely none out of him that whole segment except when he scored that goal. All that I saw from Gilbert was frustration and no effort to try snap out of it and regain his form. His confidence looks shattered and he has this whole feeling sorry for himself vibe going on. I just wanna she him do everything he can to start regaining his form and his confidence. He can start by maintaining eye contact with his coach, by being the first one on his feet after going over drills in practice(even if he just briefly beats them up), first one on and last one off the ice. These are some of the things I would expect to from someone who is struggling as badly as he is.

You can tell alot of things by one’s body language, even with brief looks and Gilbert’s give me the impression that something is defiantly wrong.

Racki: @gr8one: there are 4 more episodes. I would think they’d split it up in quarters, but I guess not since that leaves one extra show. So I don’t know. I’m guessing Monthly. Yah, maybe that makes more sense..?

saving one for the playoffs

22. oilinblood says:

First… i side with DD at TSN, to a point. I believe the answers to our ills are guys like Reddox. Chances are though, that Tambi is not blind to the fact the Barons are a positive bunch and its a good atmosphere for the developing kids. I am not sold that taking away key players from the farm will be long term effective. Right now Reddox is the reason Omark is developing. Right now a guy like Ondrus is a leader and well liked rah rah peer who supports his brothers. Taking those players up to the bigs to help the Oilers will no doubt hurt the Barons and the 18 other guys left there.
    The Oilers made their bed with their decisions out of camp. They didnt pick the best players.
    Those players, including Ondrus, should be re-signed if needed in the summer and fight for jobs with truth behind “all spots are up for grabs”.

If the Oilers do much it will be injury call ups like Smid- Belle. Other than ICU I figure we might see a move or two to shore up our NHL roster in the short term. However, there are people on this team that are in our future that are playing bad and we have to show them that help is not coming… that they are expected to be better and save themselves from the situation they created. On the other hand, guys like Penner and Cogs are likely on the way out.
    Dont expect much change.
    If im tambi, i waive a few players – struds and vandermeer. I WOULD waive Foster BUT apparently we KNEW he wasnt strong defensively and PROMISED him the chance to learn and work on that. So id have to keep the promise (Im an ethical man). Despite what others may perceive, i have seen more atrocious giveaways from Whitney than all other dmen combined. I am not going to throw Whit under the bus either. Is GIlbert the problem? Smid? Whit? Foster? No, i think the problem is the bottom pairs. Get a more dependable partner for Pecks so you can increase his time.
    Perhpas the one call up that should be made is a RHD in Plante or Petry. Seeing how well Belle and Petry were doing together…perhaps call up Plante and waive Vandermeer and Struds. In my mind; if the 3rd pair is improved it will bring out a better success rate of the corps as a whole.
    Then we can get on Hall for not learning show boating doesnt work at the blue line and get on Penner for not supporting the puck better when Hemsky is taking check after check along the boards, ferociously winning battles like a hungry dog only to end up 1 on 3 no matter how hard he works and how deep he digs.

HAts off to Hemsky for making me a fan of his. Hats off to Horcoff, Eberle, Smid, Magnum, and … Gags.
    The list is short.

23. oilinblood says:

Steve-O: saving one for the playoffs

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. more like the lotto.

25. oilinblood says:

I think the best thing to do would be to find a top 4 RHD in trade and drop Foster to 3rd. Even if we bring up Plante… we will be removing a key player from the barons and basically only alleviating maybe 2 minutes off of Gilbert and 1 off of Foster? Plante is ready for it… but do we want him to be thrown in like that?
    The chances of us being able to obtain a top 4 RHD who can allow us to drop foster down and relieve Gilbert of some IT is slim. Plante is likely the only intelligent option available.
    Dont touch the rest of the farm. VV, Ondrus, Reddox and Omark should all have face to face recognition from the oilers brass that they are doing a great job and have earned long term vision from the oilers. Right now they are all very deserving of a free and unbiased competition for spots next camp (something Ondrus and Reddox, i believe, never got or they would have started the season here). Souray complained about communication… well if the oilers dont acknowledge the great things going on in OKC and those that are leading and building the atmosphere and self-pride… than i dont want to be a fan of this team anymore. Give credit where its due and maybe people will truly be inspired in this organization.

We are in complete agreement Rack. Oh and FINALLY Oil Change allows me some video evidence to the unknowledgable hockey fans… that being on your wrong side as a defenseman is a big disadvantage alot of players cant get over nor want to try. Im happy Smid just … reluctantly maybe… admitted he wasnt comfortable with it. Its tough to say no, but dont say yes just because you want to help the team. The truth; knowing your abilities and playing within them is what your team needs. Its managements job to then clog the deficiencies

I’ve always been lukewarm on Gilbert. I thought the deal he got was typical of the terrible contracts Lowe handed out. Give a guy that kind of dough and term while he really is still unproven? Come on man. Boris Mironov had better numbers lots of years.

Gilbert is not a top end puck mover. He’s the guy who is better than average but terrible in his own end like MAB, Corvo, Preissing or Schneider. He’s good if handled the right way, but he’s way too exposed here. There are no true defenssive D men on the team (good ones) to have him mesh well with the rest of the D corps. I think he’s generally just a laid back guy attitude wise. I can see how others see that as not carring too. I’ll sit on the fence on this one. I have not seen anything to prove to me that he’s a leader or a detractor, just a player on the team as far as I can tell.

He obviously gets along well with the guys though as he’s good friends with Gags and Cogs and, well, he plays rock band. (I’m on a secret mission to mention this fact at least twenty times this season in posts) :D

Nice to see Renney crack the whip a bit. He’s shown he can be more than fair. It’s also good to show that you can not be taken lightly either.

On Vandermeer, I really wonder if Renney wanted him here after camp. He made comments about not always having the say on players you’d like to send down and ones you’d like to keep up. Petiot, Belle and Plante all had better camps than Vandermeer. Heck, Petry did too. I wonder if he’s one of the guys that he may have been wanting to send down in favour of one of the above.

As for Cogs, Oil change part III, The Return of the Failure, was really eye opening into Cogliano’s state with the team. It was mentioned a once promising youngster is now just fighting to stay in the NHL. His timid request for PK time after the Oilers told him this is what they wanted to do, showed me he’s not confident enough to be assertive about it. His getting his ass handed to him in the draw game in practice was just a huge facepalm moment for me. I’ve given up on the kid for this team. It’s time to ship him out, get a pick and bring up O’Marra. Just f’n do it already.

I’m sure another team would see value in him as he’s fast and can be good on a deep team for sure. The Oilers are just not that team. His attitude seems very good, but it’s clear he’s got those deer in the headlights looks on lots of the shots in the documentary and is just not what the coaches want in a player. He should be in the AHL but he’d get claimed. He’s not an NHL player that is well rounded for now. He should be in the A dominating and being called up later.

I know I’ve defended him very recently, but I no longer can. I’d rather have Pouliot.

O’Marra is currently injured FYI.. but I think if I understood right it wasn’t going to keep him out of the lineup long (maybe back this weekend?)

28. oilinblood says:

Is there a realistic chance of aquiring that top 4 D man…maybe a pending UFA? Plante is my choice for the call up, if necessary. I got faith he can do it and it wont mess Barons top tandem.
    Any chance the Oilers finally pull the plug on Struds and Vandermeer? IS struds good nature and babysitting necessary with Horcs mentoring the kids?
    grrr.

Oh and as much as i dislike Cogs now, i am really not the kind of person to deal him or waive him after the rough week he has had. He gets some time. When his teeth are fixed id waive him.

29. John says:

Racki: OIB: Forgot about Plante.. he wasn’t on my radar a year or two ago, but his first game here last year, I was pretty impressed, and since then kept a close eye on him. I would like to see him called up too, and that would help, as you said, keep Belle / Petry together. But the Oil definitely need to get a RHD here soon so Gilbert can have his ice time decreased. Playing 23.5 Min per game isn’t doing much for him other than to give more potential for mistakes to be made. Like I said with Horcoff last year, he needs some of the reliance taken away. He’s used in all situations heavily. And I agree, and say it too.. Whitney is making a lot of mistakes. I won’t throw him under the bus either, but he hasn’t been the same so far this year. Maybe another case for some decreased reliance. PP time up, SH time down, defensive starts down too.

On Gilbert, maybe I am a little guilty of being quick to find more fault with him than he already deserves & reducing his role /minutes would put him in a better position to succeed but I wouldn’t put much money on it lol. Whitney has certainly made some mistakes that have ended up in our own net but it’s pretty hard to throw your leading points man under the bus no? At least Whits makes up for his mistakes.

Racki: John: to me that’s the difference between the two right now.. Whitney is putting up assists. OIB: I don’t see the Oilers doing it… I’d love for it to happen though, and I think it would be good for development of our D to have a workhorse on D that can handle a shutdown role. But I don’t know if Tambellini is on the same page there. As for waiving Cogs.. I think if that’s what it’s come to, it’s a pretty sad situation because he was untouchable 2 years ago but could have gotten us a good player then.

Yeah, it is unfortunate. Looking back, I think everyone would agree that the right call would have been for him to not be brought into the NHL as quickly as he was. Same with Gagner. They both were clearly rushed and it’s, in my view, clearly had a major effect on their development.

EDIT: I just saw a post on HF that made me think a bit. Is it possible that Cogs is this year’s version of a poor performing Jarret Stoll? i.e. Should I be so quick to condemn the guy because he’s having a hellacious year and could he come back to be a better player? Not sure….

Racki: Chucker: Jarret Stoll was a completely different player though. Around the time things when fans were running him out of town, he was still a hell of a defensive player, top draw man and leading or at the top of the list in hits for our team too (plus a good shot blocker.. and I believe that the effort was always 100% each night too). Cogliano is nowhere near that, unfortunately. The one thing in common though is both were completely snake bitten for a while. I think Stoll was given a lot more opportunity in the beginning to get out of that funk though, at least initially.I think Cogliano could be a decent offensive player / sniper, but that’s not what he’s being used for here. You know how I really like Cogs and have defended some of our outcast players in the past. But I think in this case it might be a mutual parting.. something best for both sides. I think we could force him into a defensive role, and he might do that well… but we could also just bring in a guy who already knows what he’s doing in that regard. How different in size are Reddox and Cogliano, really? (Reddox is listed as 5’11 190lbs, Cogs as 5’10 188lbs to answer my own question) Reddox has way more jump too his game and might not be as terrible on the dot. Just an idea. I would hate to see an asset in Cogliano wasted though… really we won’t get face value for him unless he’s scoring again, and I don’t see him scoring again if he’s not playing better minutes (i.e. playing a more prominent offensive role). Catch 22, I guess.

True. Stoll was an established NHLer with good skills who was having a terribe year after a concussion. Cogs has not yet attained the heights of pre-concussed Stoll, so your comments are fair.

I tend to agree he is a good player if he’s in the right situation, but it’s clear than he is not here. Also, you are correct in that he would likely have little trade value with his current numbers. Unfortunately, I don’t see a way for him to climb out of it given the players now ahead of him on the depth chart.

Stupid waiver rights…..

chucker:
    True. Stoll was an established NHLer with good skills who was having a terribe year after a concussion.Cogs has not yet attained the heights of pre-concussed Stoll, so your comments are fair.I was just kind of playing devil’s advocate there to see if I’m the only one who really thinks Cogs is the wrong player on the wrong team.I tend to agree he is a good player if he’s in the right situation, but it’s clear than he is not here.Also, you are correct in that he would likely have little trade value with his current numbers.Unfortunately, I don’t see a way for him to climb out of it given the players now ahead of him on the depth chart.
    Stupid waiver rights…..

Yah, I agree with all of this. In addition to waivers, the CHL/NHL agreement… both can be hindrances to player development at times.

35. oilinblood says:

Stoll leaving Edmonton had alot more to do with Visser than any direct need to jettison Stolly. Stoll was aand is an established RHC who can actually play the position and helped bring his teamn to game 7 of the SCF just 2 years before. Also included in that deal was a young RHD physical shut down dman.

Cogliano…if he lights it up for a month will still only get you a 5th rounder. If he isnt scoring hes doing nothing for you. He doesnt do much scoring…so there you are.

Yes i am of the vision that you dont learn in the NHL. Lessons here are too expensive. With rookies there are always little changes they need to make to adapt…but you dont pay someone an nhl salary to reinvent the wheel. Reddox is the guy we need… but id leave him in OKC for the year. I have no doubt Renney wanted Reddox and to cut and waive Cogs. I could tell by his use of cogs thru the pre-season and earlier in camp. I was positive Cogs was gone but as Renney pointed out… higher ups were pullling the strings and making decisions, forcing his hand. Pisses me right off. Coach..not GM should decide who stays and who goes. Want a coach respected? let him say who stays.