Rekhabi on IR, Gerber Recalled

By , November 18, 2010 1:16 pm
You can actually hear the groin tearing if you stare at this pic long enough...

You can actually hear the groin tearing if you stare at this pic long enough...

Old news now, but we’ve got to post on it….

Khabibulin has injured his groin and is expected to be placed on IR. Gerber has been recalled. But don’t get too excited folks, rumor is that Dubnyk will get the games and that is why Deslauriers wasn’t an emergency recall.

25 Responses to “Rekhabi on IR, Gerber Recalled”

1. Haboiler says:

Didn’t take long for Khabby to hit the IR!!! This is the reason they signed Gerber… Gerber on the way today. JDD to run in OKC.

Haboiler: Didn’t take long for Khabby to hit the IR!!!

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=543878 Yeah, the guy is an injury waiting to happen. FFS. Does anything good ever happen these days? At least Gerber is capable.

Good news, Khabbi’s back is great. Bad news, he has a terrible groin and his back is……awe forget it. Not to mention…..I give. :facepalm: <—-need one.

FYI, it sounds like Deslauriers wasn’t recalled because the intent is to play Dubnyk during Khabi’s downtime. So Jeff will carry the action in the A.

4. John says:

Wierd, when I first saw this about the injury my first instinct was of happy suprise, not total unhappiness. Hmmmmm… Well now Dubie will get some quality playing time in & there should be very little pressure on him to have big games since they were getting shelled regularly anyway!

So Khabi made it to 15 games in before the inevitable injury. I checked his priors and he’s missed 6, 10 and 12 games with groin injuries in the past (all post-lockout).

Given Khabi’s ugly stats, Dubie can’t do worse, can he?

Really LNOF, I don’t think things will change much. I don’t suspect Dubnyk will be any worse or any better. Well, he shouldn’t allow 8 goals in a game… but I don’t think he’s going to lead to more wins.

Is anyone really unhappy with this? Personally I don’t care… it doesn’t change things much at all for the team. The only good thing between this year and last year, is we have Gerber now to carry us through the goalie injuries (well, to back up, more likely) so our farm team won’t implode from the injury.

If you ask me, Khabi’s injury is a good thing.. gets Dubnyk some more games. No more favorites. We can see what he’s capable of, and he doesn’t have a tough act to follow at all, so there is no pressure.

7. Haboiler says:

I agree 100%. This forces the issue to give DD some starts and maybe even a start for Gerber. If he can handle the load then there should be a rotation starting once Khabby is back.

8. Spartacus says:

I keep asking myself why Renney rode Khabi until something finally broke. After starting 15 of the first 17 games to start the season an injury to your aging, injury-prone goaltender can’t be counted as a surprise, can it?

Are Renney and Co. totally out of it, or is this deliberate mismanagement of resources? I can’t figure out what the hell they’re up to. If some of their decisions aren’t intended to make the Oilers a worse team, then that makes the coaches’ choices seem even more bizarre.

I don’t understand the coaching decisions either when it comes to over-playing Khabi – Quinn did the same thing last year, you would think they would have learned, especially coming off of surgery that may have been the result of overplaying him last year. Just the fact he came to them with such a long injury history should have clued them in to pacing him a bit better. Then again I never understood or liked the decision to sign him in the first place, but it’s always seemed to me that they’ve started him so much in an attempt to justify the signing. I just wonder if it was entirely up to the coaches.

Also, it really wouldn’t surprise me if Dubnyk thrives under the circumstances.

I hope Dubs steals the show. I like him. I hope these guys think “Oh shit Khabi isn’t going to bail us out, we gotta try tonight”

What Spartacus and LNOF said.

Actually you bring up a good point, BO… a strange as it sounds, sometimes a team plays worse when they feel they can rely on good goaltending.

I remember my dad telling me a story about an NHL coach that yanked his team’s goaltender in the 2nd period because they were playing shitty defense. It ended up waking them up a bit. My dad even pulled that once when he was coaching one of my hockey teams too, for a shift. I honestly don’t remember how that turned out, but I’m guessing the message was received.

13. hemmerlady says:

I agree. When a goaltender carries a team, they expect him to keep doing it. Remember when Cujo was around he literally carried the team from the playoff run onward? Khabi’s been dropping more than carrying IMO but he has made some stellar saves.

I am very hopeful that Gerber gets some starts – I like what I’ve seen from him. I think Dubie has a chance to do well but honestly the way the D have been playing, I fear for his confidence.

Funny how that rumored trade in the summer that had Khabi+ going to Boston for Thomas+ that had a lot of fans screaming murder that it was trading one bad contract for a worse one is looking pretty good now eh?

lol, indeed.

17. oilinblood says:

Racki: I don’t remember my opinion on the trade at the time. But really, I have never been one for Khabi at this contract / term. I was happy to have him though, but at 2 years or so, and at a bargain. And well, I’d been on the Halak bandwagon for a long time, so I figure that one is even worse than not trading for Thomas. THey pretty much could have had a young goaltender for the future for next to nothing, and signed him to Khabi dollars if they really wanted to keep him here. Dipshits.

Mhmmm
    QFT the entire thing, word for word, from beginning to blunt end.
    I get mad thinking of the fact that 4 of my 5 wants from 3-4 years ago have since been dealt with us not getting involved (the fifth would have never come here since hes from MIch and detroit snagged him-Rafalski). A Stewart, B Boyle, Halak and Horton all aquired for pretty much nothing.
    I still think the Canadiens hindered and stalled the progression of Price by not giving him a calming backup like Roloson. Not a one for one trade, but after the Price melt down in the post season a few years ago it was obvious to me that he needed someone to just baby sit. F it.

I want to see some Gerber, but more Dubs. In three games he started two and played relief last night. In the two starts he lost in OT and the team played well defensivly in those games. (Saw him in Jersey, team actually played well that night)Last night Dubs gave up one goal, but it was on an unreal shot, and I can’t blame him. I’m looking forward to seeing how Dubs handles it. Now we will see if Tambi made the right pick between JDD and DD. I think we will see lots of DD, but a good amount of Gerber mixed in.

As far as I’m concerned… “the right pick between JDD and DD” is like picking between Morisson, Conklin and Markannen. I don’t think we’re talking about strong goaltenders here. They get the job done, but I don’t think any are particularly special. So I can’t a major difference in how those guys perform.

Pretty much bang on to what lots of us said this summer. I even thought they should have signed Niemi after Halak was gone. It just seemed like a no brainer. Give the guy a one year deal for what he was arbitrated for. Rumour is he was waiting to see what happened to Khabbi in court anyway. After it got appealed, he signed the next day with San Jose.

Our team is run by idiots as far as the goaltending goes. What happened to the good old days when we always had a top end goalie? That stopped after Salo left, and yes I know there are Roli fans in the crowd, but he was not great. He was good and had a stellar cup run like Leighton did, but he was average after that to me. Having said that, I’d totally hit the ignition on the time machine to when he wanted a two year deal and have him be here instead of Khabbi. I know I was a fan of it at the time, but only for one or two years.

Anyway, like everyone else, I’m hoping DD runs with the ball/puck and emerges to be a legitimate NHL goalie who will serve to solve our problems in net.

Now, about that D…..

Yah a few of us were fans of Khabi… but I don’t think anyone was a fan of Khabi at 4 years. Worse yet, no one was a fan of Khabi at $3.75(?)M. That is just unbelievably bad. 1 year at that price.. 2 years at that price, OK.. I could live with that. But what goaltender out there was getting that kind of money at this time? Who also thought Khabbi had 4 good years left in him? I honestly can say I didn’t think he’d be too bad a risk at 1 or 2 years, but yah.. 4 was just crazy, and I think we all knew that right from day 1. But yes, there were even options at that time too.

Even if you’re grabbing Khabi, the plan should have been to grab an up and comer. Either bring a guy in that’s already established and give him the reigns, or bring in a guy who’s just breaking into the league. No offense meant to JDD or DD, but I’ve never been sold on either really and said that from the start too. They’re backups. Love for them to prove me wrong though.

But hey, we have Olivier Roy in the system… let’s hope that he’s our savior for net.

22. Haboiler says:

I agree Racki. I think/hope Roy is as good as advertised (and I have seen him play in jrs. a few times – exceptional) then the Brodziak trade will have been a steal. DD will get his shot now. its up to him to prove he can at least be a 1B goalie.

23. John says:

I could be a Khabi fan… if he played on a different team! Of all the mistakes the management group has made & the lack of ability to fill holes & address weaknesses; the most glaring issue has been goaltending. Sure KLowe did well to bring in Roli who took us on that fairytale run but in the several years before that & since we have been blessed with nothing but lower echelon net presence.

Even a good team with mediocre goaltending will be a failure, while a good team with a top calibre goaltender can be Stanley Cup bound.

25. John says:

Racki: On Roli, even then, they almost effed that up. Roli came pretty late in the season when everyone knew how bad we were in net and we almost missed the playoffs because of the negligence. Yah, its hard to pick someone up long before the deadline, but think about the magic that year and how close we came to missing out on all of it.

Believe me I have thought about that run many times & as awesome as it was, I can’t help thinking how much better off & farther along in a top to bottom rebuild we would be by now if the Nucks would have won that deciding game thereby eliminating the Oilers from the playoffs. :/