Monday Morning Standings

By , November 3, 2010 8:06 am

I like Halloween.

And here we go again. This would have been up yesterday, but there was the game day going up, so here it is today. It totally has nothing to do with me being lazy or anything.

The Oilers are playing about as good as can be expected with the team they have. A win against Chicago, scoring every time they gained access to the zone (and almost letting in as many), along with some real close games. Although it has to be a concern that we feel the need to spot the other team 2 to 3 goals in order to make it interesting at the end. Renney needs to kick that fair play, everyone has fun attitude out the door so we can start winning.

In other NHL news, Parise is now out for 3 months causing pain and suffering for all of his fantasy team owners.

Quasimodo sucks, got boo’ed and then got injured…oh well.

Eberle didn’t win the rookie of the month, with that going to Neuvirth (spelling?) in Washington.

McGrattan calls Neil a pussy.

Briere doesn’t think that attempted cross checking should be a 3 game suspension.

Jordan Staal got injured again, and will now miss another 6 weeks.

And that’s all I can think of right now. Oh yeah, Hall got his first goal.

CONFERENCE STANDINGS

10 8
Buffalo
12 8
New Jersey
13 7

Pool

Here is a quick update on the pools.

Foiled Again

Johnny Odangles is now #1. Trogdor has jumped to #2 and Team Haboiler is now #3. Racki is #7, and I dropped to #9.

Foiled Again Too

Haboiler is #1 (you want to let the rest of us play too?), with Mrs. gr8one and YDNAR in #2 and #3 respectively. Racki is #6 and I’m #8.

26 Responses to “Monday Morning Standings”

I’m stinking it up in both pools. And damn it that Staal got hurt again.

The Oilers also have to start sticking up for each other too. Getting pushed over the Canucks should be “so 2007/08″, but it’s not. Hemsky got pushed around all night (although good job to him for standing up to the one check), and Cogliano got drilled by the World’s Most Dangerous Mexican. Where’s the fight in the team some nights? If you can’t get ugly for Vancouver, who can you do it for?

I’m not sure if they’re just scared about taking a penalty (Renney was pretty peeved about the PP’s we gave up – which was only 4) or what, but I’d like to see these guys wake up when someone is hit. How about we start initiating that stuff finally? Can’t wait for Jacques to come back, cause even with his sore back, I’m pretty sure he’s going to be throwing his weight around (for the short time until he’s hurt again).

It was a decent game by the Oil for the most part, btw (at least, period 2 on), just the lack of team toughness is a common thing most nights.

In the pool… I forgot to dress and bench a players for Saturday nights games. More in particular dress St.Loius + Stoll. Stoll hurt the most, think he had a three point night.

Also, is anyone else getting tired of the ex-Oiler curse?

4. pharsyde says:

chucker: Ugg. I’m still reeling from the auto draft. A week against me is like free pass week so far.Also, is anyone else getting tired of the ex-Oiler curse?

Man, and I’ve had the exact opposite luck from the autodraft. I thought for sure I’d be a basement dweller, especially with both Miller and Bobby Lou off to rough starts. But I’ve lucked out and the autodraft gave me a few players that are performing well (i.e: Chris Stewart)

5. YDNAR says:

That Parise thing really sucks I made a trade for him the day he was finally taken out of the line up! Oh well maybe in 3 months he will be able to help my team. I hope they put him on IR soon so I can at least add another player.

Another thing I know its not hockey related but sounds like we will not have the Indy in town this year I have gone to all the races I am still hoping they have it again this year.

@ YDNAR; The Indy has been a huge money loser for a couple of years. I don’t see Edmonton City council saying yes to their share again. It’s a shame because it is fun if you go, but now with the Muni crap hopefully over, maybe there will be some things happen that don’t allow accomidation of the IndY. Not sure, but lots of balls in the air.

7. oilinblood says:

Renney is starting to sound simply like a more censored Quinn. I am a little unhappy that Renney is calling out the team in such a manner. I think the Oilers need high expectations and I think they will be a great team but to teach puck possession in your end of the rink only to toss the puck away in the offensive zone and hope you win a 50/50 lotto in the corner… is kind of diverging from the whole puck possession game is it not? Are we a puck possession team or are we a dump and chase team that doesnt have the bodies to be so? What exactly is the plan? Now i am confused. Are the instructions to just continue giving the opposition the puck once we get on their side of centre after teaching ourselves to move the puck controlled out of the zone?
    I dont know what roster Renney looks at when he makes his game plan…but the OIlers arent going to be hurting anyone on the forecheck with their bodies. As a whole their game has to be built on speed and intelligence…not physical force. If physical force is a third weapon to speed and intelligence off the rush than the oilers will succeed. If Renney wants a punishing team on the forecheck hammering bodies…he might want to think about HGH supps for the whole crew, because in majority this team is NOT made for that attack.

I for one figured slow and steady for the year and right now after 10 we seem to be where i thought. Nothing to lose our heads about.

To me this team needs to be a rush team, and in those instances where players are facing a lack of pass options entering the zone… yes the support forwards need to go to cross dump areas and get the opposing d to work. The goal should be to use speed and intelligence on the rush and when facing a strong wall, to twist that wall with a solid dump in. I dont believe in the idea that a dump in is always the way to navigate thru a defence with the roster we have. It all comes from the mentality of puck possession in our own end which makes us exit with all forwards flying and puck in control. The dump in is treated as a precision pass based on the speed and approach of support players. If i start seeing an idiot, no thought, dump in game after game i will tear my hair out. I did not suffer 20 years to hear someone look at this fantastic roster and say we need to play dump and chase.

Frankly the biggest issue is not taking dumb penalties, then the special teams, then the offensive attack. learning how to stay composed, and fight years of “dump it out off the boards”, to make a controlled decision to play the puck out with precision and initiate a full group break out takes alot of learning…and penalties.

10 games and i am more than happy with all of our players, minus 2 that could be upgraded and 2 i am on the fence about, and our team.
    The rookies are performing as well as can be expected. The Goaltending has been better than expected –but will we be ready for when its not? Toughness has been actually better than expected (not just in innitiating contact but guys taking big hits like real pros).

I fail to see the reason why Renney is seemingly losing his head. Yes dumb penalties have to stop. Yes we need to make better decisions when we have support. yes the learning excuse and “feeling out” period for Hall is over and he must be a real pro and use his teammates. Yes the vets need to step up (Penner imo – stats aside he needs to lose 10lbs–btw how is horton doing ahem.). Yes we need to win draws. Yes we need people to take ownership of the PK and take pride in it.
    Hey…this IS a rebuild. Who here wasnt prepared for these issues? I think everyone was so why is renney seemingly caught off guard.

Sounds like Horcoff joins Setoguchi and Torres as boys to nail Cogs this year. Horcoff took him out in scrimmage. Cogs left and then returned. Barnes apparently asked Ren about it and Ren said… its a puck battle drill and Horcoff won. If you dont practice for keeps, you dont play for keeps. I saw nothing wrong with it.

Couple of interesting bits from Tencer’s interview with Tambellini:

He wants Penner to man up a bit more when linemates get pushed around. That, we’d all love to see… but some guys just don’t have it in them… no idea why.

9. hemmerlady says:

Racki: Couple of interesting bits from Tencer’s interview with Tambellini:He tried moving Deslauriers (thus probably why we had the 3 headed monster, and in hindsight, I can handle that).

10. oilinblood says:

hemmerlady: Interesting. I’m far from a Penner-basher, but there are times when he seems disengaged from the play. His sense of humour makes me think he leans more toward stoicism as a character trait. Perhaps Renney (and we?) are looking for a bit more passion?

im a big penner fan but share that perception about his character. He would be better if he lost 10 lbs i think but i’ll never expect him to match Nathan Horton with a full game which includes intimidation/retribution.

11. hemmerlady says:

oilinblood:

Are we really calling Penner fat again? That’s so last season. /Cher from Clueless

12. oilinblood says:

i never said fat. I would like him more weight efficient. Hemmer lost weight this summer but is far stronger, thanks to only being able to work out his lower body for a few months. Hemmer might be in the best playing shape he has ever been in. The issue with Penner imho is his speed. I would like him to get faster and get more cardio endurance. If he dropped the 10 lbs i dont think id see him panting and struggling after only 20 seconds on a pk in columbus.

As i have said, and many know, i am a Penner fan. i dont think, howevere, he should be close to Big MAcs weight when he is needed for big minutes and productive ice time. I have no doubt Penner could drop as much as 20 lbs and be STRONGER yet increase his endurance and speed as well.

Looks like Steve-o realized real NFL football and up a picture of the Pats cheerleaders. Anyway, I think Penner is gone by the deadline. He doesn’t seem like the same player, and honestly If we can get a good shut-down defender for him I’m sold. I’d flip him to LA for Jack Johnson to be honest with you. Johnson is a good developing defender.

On Hockeybuzz today, the Oilers blogger talked about the 2011 NHL draft, and how he thinks the Oilers will be a loto team (Which could happen, but I think the kids turn it around and we pick 9th). He talks about how the team should screw drafting the best player and take a center or a defender. I agree with this. No more wingers please. We have Hall, Eberle, Paajarvi and by the sounds of it Hemsky wants to re-up here (He said he likes what the team is doing and wants to be part of the future.)

I look at it like this, forget Larsson, forget Ryan Nugent Hopkins, forget the guy from the Q whose name has left my head, we simply won’t be a lottery team. The kid I really want to be an Oilers is David Musil. Hes a shutdown defender who can hit and help us on PK. Thats something we desperatly need.

On the topic of JDD, now that we hear Tambi say they tried to trade him, the whole three-headed monster is fine with me, Hes in OKC now, so lets get Dubnyk developing up here, because I think he will be ok.

I’m not sure if Penner is overweight right now (and like OIB, that doesn’t mean fat…. it means the right balance between good size and good endurance/speed), however, I think he’s been OK. Not bad, not good, but OK. He’s also seen a drop in minutes, but that might be a product of how Renney feels he’s playing too.

Anyways, I’m not worried about Penner at all… really he’s the least of our worries because while he might not be scoring as much at the moment, I think that will pick up, and he’s also not getting scored on much either. And really, that’s what the game is about… generating more offence for than against. That’s a little simplified, but really, I wouldn’t be picking on Penner specifically because unlike last year, we don’t have one line with offense.. we technically have 3 now, and the load is going to be shared across those 3, and so is the production. He also looked a bit better last game, playing with Cogliano and Brule… so just give it time.

I personally feel that our biggest issues are still defense and team toughness.

We don’t have a lot of minus players on our team right now, despite our poor record… that’s a sign of something.. a poor PK. Oh and lo and behold, now that I look at it, I see we’re 30th place in PK. Fix that, and a lot of our troubles go away. (BTW, I know not many other people think this, but Penner is actually pretty good on the PK… I see Renney is also starting to give him more time there).

What Racki said.

16. hemmerlady says:

Racki: I’m not sure if Penner is overweight right now (and like OIB, that doesn’t mean fat…. it means the right balance between good size and good endurance/speed),

Um…
    In my mind, fat and overweight are fairly synonymous. Like if my boyfriend (or crappy date?) told me I was overweight, I would drop-kick him. It’s the same as calling me fat. In my mind Penner’s weight is irrelevant.
    Questioning Penner’s fitness level is another matter entirely, which I think is what you were getting at when you referred to Penner’s size vs. speed. Each person’s body is composed entirely differently, and what matters is if that person has a strong cardiovascular system – and has muscular strength and flexibility.

(It’s not that I don’t get what you’re trying to say, it’s just I’ve seen a number of comments about Penner being a “fattie” and it’s a pet peeve of mine I guess. Overly sensitive?….ok maybe)

17. neufab says:

Hello all,

There is something hypnotic about the Edmonton Oilers!

As someone who does not post here much, most of the good ideas are usually already mentioned…
    so as a Mexican-Canadian is say… SALU ;)

The thing with Penner is that he is Dustin Penner. We can expect good production, a guy that likes to joke are around (his sense of humor is one that illustrates a thinker), and the odd night he will get a little angry. I like him with Brule and Cogliano. I like Penner and hope he’s an Oiler for a long time.

As someone who has been critical of Horcoff, I’m glad that he is the Captain of the Edmonton Oilers. He has been determined in the corners, and played his game!

When the Oilers do well, they exit their zone with speed WITHOUT two guys standing still on the blue line as they enter the offensive zone. Furthermore, building this team as the Oilers are, it is critical that the 4th line is effective. They need to be a legitimate physical threat AND be a defensive benefit. A little offense will come, so bonus. Some JFJ out there would be nice.

Other than a good #6, the defense simply needs some seasoning, and different pairings. Peckham will develop into a beast. He’s not afraid to shoot it, he likes the big hit, and has a mean streak that is much needed on this team. He will need time to develop in reading the play, controlling the puck in his own zone, and making a good pass out of the zone.

I expected more out of Foster. I wanted to see a BIG mans game. His position is one that needs to help with team toughness, while still providing the offensive threat. Foster and Smid aren’t the right pairing in my opinion. A good righted D-man is hard to find, so I’d like to see Gilbert with Foster, Smid with Peckham, and Whitney with ???(wish it would have been Souray instead of Visnovsky). Funny how we now need a good puck moving defenseman.

They’re scoring, and they’re more fun to watch than last year. I see this team growing into something that Oiler fans have waited for a long time. Although it may take a few years, I just wish it would happen sooner than I think it will.

18. MetalOil says:

I hear that Chris Pronger wants to be an Oiler again, That that majority of BC residents now support the HST and that Randy Moss is up for the NFL’s equivalent to the NHL’s Lady Bing award given to the player adjudged to have exhibited the best type of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct.

Just thought I would post this since today seems to be a great day to post false and unfounded/unsupported BS on the internet. Who is this Mark Seidel Idiot anyways?

19. oilinblood says:

Personally I like Penner alot and feel he is a smarter player than the majority give him credit for. Last season he had this no look back hand slap pass ala NHL94 which he seemed to use alot while looking into the boards reflections. He is positionally sound and I BELIEVE he likes being an oiler.

I will go to my statement in my other post that i feel with the ice time and role he has on this team… he should not be anywhere close to Macs weight.
    I also think he is a valuable PKer, but so far this year I have seen him unable to move anywhere after 20-30 seconds, because he is panting. Most forwards of his size who are effective are 20lbs lighter.
    I look at Iginla in 2006 or 7 when he decided to really build his upper body during the summer and he had a horrific slow start to the season. He pointeded out that his upper body mass was restricting his range of movement and that he worked hard during the season to try to lose some of the muscle that he had wrongly worked so hard to achieve.

As a pro athlete getting paid millions… your body is an insured asset. I think it is quite a bit different to tell a guy like Penner getting paid 5M that if he lost 10-20 lbs hed be a more dominant player. I think we all know its not fat. The question is how often does he need that 10-20 extra lbs to suplex someone or beat someone up… where that weight will actually come in handy. This season ive seen him do it 0 times. Thus that weight is only hurting what his game is.

If he suplexes Regher every game i will be happy with his weight. But i think if he was 10-20 lbs lighter hed be a 50-50-100 calibre player. I dont think its outrageous to say that considering he has high hockey IQ.
    HEs a pro athlete, weight isnt an insult its a job requirement.

Edit – I do agree he is not an issue but for some reason i brought him up or added something to it. I think he had the flu a while ago as well …?
    I like the PK and it will improve. Yes it is 30th but as far as i can tell we HAVE been reinventing the wheel (we have been telling players to maintain control and seek pass options and to support the puck rather than bang it out with out thought). Considering the amount of changes in personnel, then the attempt at erasing 10-15-20 years of “dump it hard off the boards and out”, I believe the first 10 games and the 30th place pk were to be expected. It will get better.
    Our Pk would likely be alot better if we had a RH version of Horc to go with the LH.(stoll)

20. dawgtoy says:

Dustin Penner is not overweight, nor is he in need to lose weight, nor is he in need to develop a strength regime, nor does he have a cardiovascular problem, what he does have to do is move his feet. When DP is at his most effective, he is able to out muscle defenders, drive to the net and fend off defenders with ease. This comes when he is moving. 6’4″ 245 is a mountain of a man to handle, I agree that he needs to find some nasty or at least defend the smaller line mates, but short of that he needs to want to compete every shift. That’s IMO mental, not physical.

I love DP, but I actually don’t necessarily disagree with what OIB is saying…I certainly don’t think I’d be starting a “DP lose weight” lobby group, but I could see if he lost 10-15 pounds and added some quickness/endurance to his game it very well could have a positive impact to his game…and really, a 6’4/230 lb man is still a mountain to move, so I don’t think it would affect the other aspects of his game in a an adverse way if he did shed a little mass.(50-50-100 might be a little on the overly optimistic side, but 40-40-80 is certainly reasonable IMHO)

That being said, I like his game as it currently is, and status quo is fine with me too.

Big men like Penner/Thornton often get unfairly chastised though too, their strides can be so long that it seemingly doesn’t take much effort to move around, and thus it sometimes gives an impression of being lackadaisical out there, when in fact it’s just a side effect of being a large human…whereas on the flipside to that, a player like Reddox that is small and darty, whose legs have to always be moving just to get anywhere always look like they’re working their asses off no matter what they’re doing.

22. oilinblood says:

gr8one, I am certainly aware of the bigman perception. Mario was often the same way.
    Everything i ever say seems to be taken as a negative or insult. I re-read and am still lost to why this perception is carried after my statement.
    To Hemmerlady i will point out that if your date is going to pay you a million dollars to hook a plow up to you and have you work his turnip farm… than hed have a point for analyzing weight. Otherwise he is out of line and yes you can get the steel toes to use. That is the point. A guy like Mac needs his weight cause he plays 2 minutes every second game and basically fights the biggest guys in the league. Why does penner need the same weight? A diver and a swimmer will manipulate their workouts in different ways, a feather weight and a heavy weight will have different weight distributions in their body, a top 6 15minute a night player who is capable of 40 goals a year and doesnt fight… should maybe be at less weight than the teams heavy weight who plays 2 every second night?
    I dont think its an issue of Penners work ethic, just like Iginla and LOTS of players every year he has simply put too much emphasis on building rathering than concentrating on weight efficiency.
    I stand by my thoughts that as a pro athlete you need to know your body is what gets paid. Ask any good pro and they will say exactly that. I dont think Penner needs to go anorexic but considering he isnt laying people out, doesnt fight, doesnt even seem to get mad… i believe he doesnt need the extra 10-20 lbs on his frame. Horton fights, hits, and basically eats babies and russian house wives – … he is 6’2″ and likely 125. Penner, as much as i love him, kisses kittens, pats opposing players on bums, and pots goals with no real excitement in his face… he does that at 6-4 245-250. Mac plays 2 minutes every second game and sits at 6-5 250.
    Nough said. Penner is no couch potato but id bet my house that Penner could be far better and even tougher to handle at 230-35 – with the losses coming off his upper frame. Imagine him 10-15 lbs lighter able to do more than just hold people off with his reach and trunk? what if he could actually keep his legs moving? how many players would take penalties trying to stop him? What if after pressuring the d he didnt have to pant off to the bench and could stay out for a double shift to take advantage of a tired d -corps? just a thought.,

I love Penner but like alot of players in this league, he will be better when he gets his build in-line with his actual game.

Back on topic – Fraser hasnt been the Stoll replacement or even reasoner replacement i had hoped for.
    Saw an interview with Foster who said the PK and defensive assignments are new things to him and part of why he signed with edmonton (to learn). For this statement i now understand his lapses and will accept them. He gets 40 games of steady learning allowance from me as a fan. Ill start judging him at the half mark.
    My sister took cogs out with a big hit. that leaves pretty much no one on earth who hasnt. Considering i used to like the guy and respect Racki … i try to go easy on the guy. Try try try. he makes it difficult to ignore though.

gr8one: I love DP

The missus must be pretty understanding.

24. Trogdor says:

You sure you’re in the right forum?

gr8one:

I love DP…

hemmerlady:
    Um…

Perhaps overly sensitive :P Gagner felt he was overweight and shed some pounds to be faster…. SAMMMMM GAGNER! One of the midgets on the team. Same sort of idea here. It has nothing to do about fat. It’s just simple physics – it’s easier to accelerate a lighter object.

I wouldn’t ever call Penner fat (other than in mock of people that comment on that.. if even) because that would be the pot calling the kettle black there. Penner isn’t fat. Georges Laraque battled with being overweight when he played too, and no one would think he was fat.

Anyways, like I said, “I don’t know if he’s overweight”, nor do I care too much.. just pointing out the subtle difference…. really, I think Dawgtoy said it the best. He can deal with his size, he just needs to keep the feet moving, as cliche as it is.

P.S. gr8one: you just got double-teamed by Steve-O and Trogdor.. was it good for you?

Racki:
    you just got double-teamed by Steve-O and Trogdor.. was it good for you?

lol…I think I need a cigarette.

I shoulda known better than to use those initials, lol.