MMS – 2010/11/08

By , November 8, 2010 10:45 am
Thank you, Edmonton Sun..

Thank you, Edmonton Sun..

So with Steve-O away from work, I guess the task of this Monday Morning Standings thing falls to me or Trogdor. So, I apologize for the MMS post actually falling on a Monday. Steve-O is off for a few weeks while he packs stuff up and moves on up to a deluxe apartment in the sky…. actually, to a house he bought. But quoting the Jefferson’s theme song doesn’t make sense when you say “movin’ on up to a deluxe house in Millwoods”. Of course, most of you probably are too young to even know what “The Jeffersons” is.. so I’ll just stop talking all stupid now and get on with it..

HHOF INDUCTEES

Dino! Loved this guy as a player. He was the type that you always hated to play against. At long last (after a 9 year wait), Dino Ciccarelli has made it into the Hockey Hall of Fame. Dino Ciccarelli was undrafted, because he broke his leg at age 16, and teams didn’t want to take the risk on him. So in 1979, the Minnesota North Stars signed him as a free agent. In his first season, the team made it to the Stanley Cup Finals. He went on to rack up exactly 1200 points in 1232 games, with 608 of those being goals. Also, per TSN: he ranks 17th all-time in goals scored and is one of just 18 players in NHL history to have ever cracked the 600-goal plateau. Ciccarelli is also one of just 45 players to reach the 1,200-point mark.

Also inducted are Angela James and Cammi Granato. This is a pretty historic moment, as they become the first female hockey players to be inducted into the HHOF. Apparently female members were always a possibility, but they now have their own category as of this year, and aren’t competing with their male counterparts for a HHOF induction slot. Truth be told, I don’t watch Women’s hockey, so I’ll let TSN handle the honors of describing their careers.

CHECKING IN WITH THE OKLAHOMA CITY BARONS

This is a new thing I wanted to introduce weekly, and what better place for it than the MMS? Anyways, the Barons are currently sitting at FIRST in the Western Conference! The Barons are 9-5-1 on the season and are coming off a huge win last night against the Toronto Marlies in which Linus Omark scored 5 of the team’s 6 regulation goals, plus he earned a shootout goal. The AHL’s website describes his night as “what will stand as one of the finest single game performances of 2010-11″.

It should be noted that the Springfield Falcons were nearing the top of their Conference last year by December too until we had to pick apart their roster due to injuries. Lots can change in a short period of time, but you just know that that new franchise in Oklahoma City has a lot of happy fans right now.

Here are the points leaders for the Barons:

# Player GP G A PTS +/- PIM
23 Linus Omark 15 10 7 17 5 24
12 Alexandre Giroux 15 6 9 15 -2 22
9 Liam Reddox 15 7 6 13 6 4
20 Brad Moran 15 6 6 12 2 4
7 Shawn Belle 15 1 11 12 -5 19
3 Jeff Petry 15 2 7 9 -11 6
18 Colin McDonald 15 5 3 8 -2 18
22 Ryan O’Marra 15 0 7 7 7 19
35 Teemu Hartikainen 15 4 2 6 -8 11
19 Milan Kytnar 14 1 4 5 -2 6

MULLET MILESTONE

The Mulleteer, Ryan Smyth, hit a milestone on Saturday, playing in his 1000th career game. That is phenomenal, and I’m happy for the guy as while he was here he bled copper and blue (and in true Oiler fan fashion, we ran him out of town when he didn’t re-sign here). Also in true fashion was the goal he scored in that 1000th game… a “junk goal” on a rebound into his office – the front of the net. Good stuff. The Kings went on to win 4-1.

The Kings also held a “mullet practice” in Smyth’s honor. Video of the practice can be found here.

CONFERENCE STANDINGS

Buffalo
15 4 9 2 10
New Jersey
15 4 10 1 9

HOCKEY POOL UPDATE

Foiled Again
Odangles and Trogdor are still holding the top spots in this one. Mr. Majestyk has made a move into spot #3, and HabOiler continues his slow descent down the standings… very slow ;)

Rank Team Pts Waiver Moves
10 DirtySexyMoney 44 8 7
11 chuckers puckers 39 12 13
12 RumRunners 36 4 1
13 Boston’s Boys 36 7 -
14 Oilers Jambalaya 34 2 7

Foiled Again Too
HabOiler (stop cheating! :P) still retains #1 spot this week. Gr8one kicks his old lady out of #2 spot and “awesomeness” (not sure who that is) takes over spot #3 from YDNAR.

Rank Team Pts Waiver Moves
1 HabOilersx2 64 1 4
2 d0nkey.punch(gr8one) 61 9 9
3 awesomeness 60 8 6
4 YDNAR 59 5 7
5 mrs.gr80ne 58 4 1
6 SamusBrattus 48 10 3
7 Layin Pipe 46 7 8
8 Racki’s Champions 46 3 2
9 Metal Mulisha 44 2 7
10 dawgtoy 34 6 12

24 Responses to “MMS – 2010/11/08”

I’m still mad they didn’t induct Burns. All the others are deserving, but come on guys. Get it right while he’s still alive.

That definitely would have been nice, for sentimental reasons. Maybe they don’t think he’s worthy of the HHOF? I would think he is. His defensive systems went a long ways in making some pretty shoddy teams more effective.

Forgot to mention above that Horcoff is currently day-to-day with a leg injury, which could open the door for a guy like Omark to step in.. but I somehow doubt that.

I think when I get home from work today I’m gonna make some moves lol. I gotta pick it up!

No way BO, your going down! :razz:

6. Thumbs up on mms girl. Steveo approves.
    Also captcha sucks for mobile.

7. MetalOil says:

steveo's blackberry: Thumbs up on mms girl. Steveo approves.
    Also captcha sucks for mobile.

MetalOil: What’s interesting to me is that the Oilers currently have the NHL’s worst PK while the OKC Barons have the AHL’s best(as tweeted by Tencer).

Ya I mentioned this a week or two ago too… really our solution for the PK is in Oklahoma… somewhere. Even though success at the AHL level doesn’t always equate to the NHL level, I think the answer still is somewhere down there.

PK article

they could use that extra slot to rotate in a PKer from Oklahoma City. After Sunday’s game, the Barons had allowed only 3 power play goals in 46 penalty kills. Add to that, they had a streak of 35 kills going without a goal (ended in Sunday’s game). Something is going well there, and perhaps we use that to our advantage. Find out what is working down there. Is it the system? Or is it the players (BTW, I do believe that a successful PK strategy / team in the AHL won’t necessarily translate to the NHL.. just saying it’s worth a look). If it’s the players, as much as we’d hate to do it to OKC, maybe we bring a couple up to help out the big club. Liam Reddox always comes to mind, as does Colin McDonald.

9. oilinblood says:

People have been talking about bringing up Omark but Omark has looked good with Reddox (and id say because of the relentless puck pursuit of the ginger). From what i have seen so far Omark has the most success when working with Reddox and going to the net. Bringing both up might be best? That might mean sending a player away since JFJ is near to coming back.
    You got to look at the big picture as well. At some point players on this roster will need to be moved to allow for the advancement of more talented players.
    In a long term perspective i think Fraser, if he doesnt pick things up, will be on his way out at years end. Pitlick (next year) and OMarra have more reward in their pedigree. Reddox has had 3 years of intense training as a energy and pk player… a guy like Cogs cant compete with that instant ability to be relevant within the role and in relation – the game to game success of the oilers.

ON defense… Do we try to bring up BElle this year or leave him in OKC except for injury call up? I dont believe Vandermeer or Struds is better and eventually that will play into whether a playoff spot is a pipe dream or legitimate opportunity. I still think Vandermeer on the ice is more important to the team than struds. With Horcoff as captain, the need for other babysitters off the ice is pretty moot.

Im not a huge fan of bringing Omark up but if we do Reddox should come up as well. Its of my opinion that Reddox is a big reason why Omark has had the ppuck and space in times when they have dominated.

10. RoboNerd says:

You’re going to poke someone’s eye out with those.

The Barons are definitely looking great. A winning farm team is a great place for players to develop.

11. oilinblood says:

one of my favorite sites to read articles is back after a long off season and just had an article on souray and the differences between the minors and NHL… take a gander at this and other articles

best article to date on that site…still remains:

ill add one more of mine which involves Dion when he was still with the flamers

warning – this is ADULT Humor.

12. YDNAR says:

You know OIB I used to kind of put up with you ……but these last few links you had on this site are of very poor taste …and as for the last one I really didn’t even waste the time to check the last link and believe me I think I am happy ……most times I try to read your posts but now and here on out I will not bother to click on your posts as I deem them meaningless. I am going to refrain from getting personal now ………sure glad this gal told me to be nice ……if you want to block me from this site thats fine Racki but I thought I was nicer then needed to be

13. Trogdor says:

Didn’t read all the posted articles, but it’s a hockey satire site and if you don’t like it, well you don’t like it. I do see a warning for adult humor there. OIB is entitled to his tastes be they good or bad and it’s a public forum so he’s entitled to post/share. Thus far, nothing too inappropriate that it needed to be censored, so far as I know.

This is a Monday Morning Standings post that came out on a Monday, I think that’s what we should be focusing on here. That and starting a petition to rearrange our schedule to play the Hawks for 82 games.

14. YDNAR says:

Okay I lay off then and I beg to be forgiven. Sorry OIB if its in satire I retract my remarks and I really do try to read all posts on here I just didn’t like the posts you had before and the last one might change my mind …..like I said I didn’t check it out so I will now ……Sorry Trogdor

15. YDNAR says:

16. mrgod2u says:

How about we hire a hypnotist to make them SEE the Hawks no matter who they are playing… Then we file the expense under “sports psychologist” and go on to our best season ever.

As far as the pk differences. I think we have simply have a good AHL pk… but that won’t exactly translate to a successful PK here. They are playing a system down there and it is working, but you can’t pull one guy out (or even 2) shove him into our system and expect it to pay off in spades… Maybe the reason it is so good is that it is defending against a Powerplay put on by guys that aren’t ready for the big show, as opposed to the powerplay up in the big leagues where a team usually has it’s best players on the ice…

Just sayin’

The flip side to bringing up guys to do better on the pk is that we then move away from the relentless offense/ hard forechecking system that is allowing our young guys the creativity to develop. I hate losing games too, but I’m pretty sure the Hawks and Pen’s didn’t win the cup the year after they drafted their superstars either.

On the note of the links above that OIB linked to, the only thing offensive was the quality of writing. lol Ahhh, 8th grade humor. Sorry, I guess I just don’t get it. I couldn’t read past the 2nd article because it didn’t do anything for me. Each to their own though, and I didn’t see anything too offensive for here. Everyone has their own line not to cross, but this isn’t church :P If you don’t like it, just don’t read it. Unless it’s heinously bad / racist / etc.. (admittedly I skimmed due to the whole 8th grade thing, so if I missed something that bad, please send an e-mail to contact at this website dot com).

Anyways, I do agree with mrgod2u, that the PK can be a systems thing as much it can be a players thing. It wouldn’t hurt to give it a shot though if we had the room to call guys up. If Horcoff hits the IR, that buys us one spot. Perhaps the Red Ox, McDonald, Ondrus or O’Marra could fill in, and we can shuffle players around a bit to keep the lines having enough offensive prowess. Would be worth giving it a shot. At least our PK was a perfect 3 for 3 last game.

Personally, I’ve always said it though… Dustin Penner is a good PKer.. keep him out there. Shockingly enough, Ales Hemsky also makes a good secondary PKer too. As much as we hate to tire these guys out, there’s more to the game than just EV and PP, and they’ve got a lot of help with both of those anyways.

18. mrgod2u says:

Well there is also two ways to get through this. Either we dial up the defense and try to win games 2-1, or we dial up the skill and try to win games 6-4. Do we want to call up a defensive guy or another offensive talent. Renney knows that his guys need to develop defensively (the offensive skill is obvious even if the goals aren’t there every night). He also has the leeway to lose games as long as the team develops.

For that reason alone I think we should bring up Omark. He feels he got the shaft when they sent him down. Here’s your shot kid. Shoot the lights out and maybe it will be you staying up and Stortini or Jacques riding the bus out of town.

We all want to win games but would you rather win 40 games this year, or 56 next year.

Either way it is a tough call for Renney, plus managing the kids with their various levels of compete and excitement, lots of rookie perspective to manage.

19. oilinblood says:

YDNAR: okay I reviewed it and I don;t like it for the most part ……I am sorry you think its funny….must be my bad i guess …..its your opinion and i guess I stand by it ….even though I don’t I agreeI am in no way being disrespectful to you OIB I just don’t agree in your humor I guessThe Oil should play the Hawks 40 times this year would make for a great year eh ?

i dont take offence. I am well aware that I am not everyones cup of tea. I tried to figure out a way to still manage it to link the page without using the full link title and failed. I guess i could have put the adult humor warning before the links but it didnt occur to me.
    Its hockey satire and i figured a few might get a laugh out of it… John being 1. I think John and I have similar humors (happy gilmore, slap shot, billy madison, borat, HST etc) and rather than not share with everyone i thought id let people look if they chose to.
    I got a 2 week ban from the OMB way back because i had an article satire about KAdri. It was pretty tame (made fun of the “scarf” on their jersey, gave kadri a lisp and had him talk about other improvements he made to his own jersey -sparkles, ribbons, lacey ends, neon skate laces and bits of “flare” like ‘my little pony’ badges for the shoulders. That same day i rewarded a Horcoff hater a trophy for his great insights and to acknowledge his glorious victory in debate. Yes the trophy was chosen specifically and yes it did look like a part of the male anatomy, but i stand by ; “if its good enough to be associated with the lpga amateur event tour than its good enough for me”.

Also kind of figured there was quite alot of off topic discussion in these monday threads anyways… which is to be expected when the picture post is a half naked woman who likely doesnt even watch hockey. Figured my links were likely not as bad as posting a girl in her white see thru undies and hard nips?
    just sharing my point of view and asking forgiveness.:) I get the feeling that if it had been ANYONE else linking the articles people would have just laughed. I guess life has already taught me that I always have a tougher time winning people over when i cant talk in person, i shouldnt be surprised.

Im sure RAck isnt completely thrilled that i am on this site now-seeing how my posts only get negative and melodrama reactions-, but he did invite me over a year ago and a few others have reminded me of the site from time to time… so until I am told that i am not welcomed by any one of; Rack, trogdor, john, etc; i will continue to post. I try to keep in mind everyone when i post and as of yet still have not made a post with any intention to attack, belittle, or rant. if im asked to leave… i wont hesitate to oblige.

Bottom line is that Steve-O, Trogdor and I are the only admins (not John or anyone else, and no offense meant to John, who is a stand up dude ;) ). Really I didn’t have any problems with the links at all. I personally wouldn’t have laughed no matter who sent them. lol Just not my humor, sorry. But nothing wrong with them that i can see.

Like I said, this place isn’t church. So as long as people aren’t bordering on anything illegal, immoral, racist, disturbingly insensitive, etc… I don’t think any of us really should worry too much. The big exception is attacks on other users (which didn’t happen in this case, so no one has to worry). That should never really happen, and is probably the biggest way to get your ass kicked off the site :P

Edit: oh, also try and keep it work safe… ish. So no linking to pics of dongs or naked chicks (half naked is acceptable lol) that is going to get someone fired. To be honest, while we always have some “mms girl”, I find I’m usually just trying to dodge/scroll past it so no one catches me at work with that up :P But there’s nothing wrong with anything going on in this post.

21. oilinblood says:

Racki: Bottom line is that Steve-O, Trogdor and I are the only admins (not John or anyone else, and no offense meant to John, who is a stand up dude ). Really I didn’t have any problems with the links at all. I personally wouldn’t have laughed no matter who sent them. lol Just not my humor, sorry. But nothing wrong with them that i can see. For the sake of this site not turning into a high school playground.. if you have issue with any one’s posts, please just send a message via the contact us form, or send an email to contact at this website dot com. Like I said, this place isn’t church. So as long as people aren’t bordering on anything illegal, immoral, racist, disturbingly insensitive, etc… I don’t think any of us really should worry too much. The big exception is attacks on other users (which didn’t happen in this case, so no one has to worry). That should never really happen, and is probably the biggest way to get your ass kicked off the site Edit: oh, also try and keep it work safe… ish. So no linking to pics of dongs or naked chicks (half naked is acceptable lol) that is going to get someone fired. To be honest, while we always have some “mms girl”, I find I’m usually just trying to dodge/scroll past it so no one catches me at work with that up But there’s nothing wrong with anything going on in this post.

22. MetalOil says:

This chicks hot but I would love it if someone could dig up that Brett Farve dong pic receiving chick in this pose with that outfit(or simalar) :) :) :)

23. oilinblood says:

seriously? I cant stand fake and bake tans. Its a big pet peeve with me (especially when like the favre chick they live in Florida and have no excuse). Both the Favre girl and this girl have orange skin… so both get no interest from me. I realize im an odd one. A hot punk chick would be more my taste.
    If a woman isnt punk or goth than i see no point in caking on make up. Women look hotter if they have the confidence to not put layers of crap all over their features. Blemishes make us unique, and trying to cover them up normally leads to more blemishes.
    Also…apologies to those who didnt notice she had a face. :P. faces tend to get my attention.

oilinblood:
    I didnt mention Steve-O because i hardly ever hear from him it seems. No disrespect to Steve-O. I do apologize though, as i seem to be quite a burden and can only imagine if i read so many passionate complaints about me within the threads that many more must be hogging up your email space. IF my involvement in this forum is ever unwelcomed than just let it be known. I mention John as well because he reminded me of this site and i feel that i represent him and others who have invited me… such as yourself. Therefore, if i am becoming an issue of frustration than its best that i dont continue to bother people who gave me invite in the first place.I wont discuss this again. If i am not welcomed, i am sure i will be told so and i will quietly leave.

My point being that if you’re going to be “unwelcome” (or anyone else for that matter) it will be by Steve-O, Trogdor, or myself. You’ve had the one borderline post here a while back… it’s in the past.. I haven’t looked back, and I suggest others do the same. I don’t care what happens on other sites either, as long as you are respectful of others here (which I’d say you’ve been since that stuff happened a while back). So really it’s a non-issue.

As long as everyone is respectful of other posters, and you avoid certain obvious stupidity such as racism and other discrimination (which also has been dealt with once by a very good poster who has also since corrected the problem!), we don’t care too much.

I’m not being inundated with complaints about you either. Not everyone is going to get along with everyone… some people will rub other people the wrong way. That’s all fine and dandy. If that’s the case here, just ignore the poster.

If it makes you feel better, OIB, I think when I first signed up on the Oilers Message Board, I had a pretty abrasive personality.