Monday Morning Standings

By , November 15, 2010 3:38 pm

Just saw Scott Pilgrim so here you go.

Again the MMS will be on time, but thats only because I’m doing this from home. I have had two weeks off to move (thanks for the help everyone!) and at this point I’m starting to look like Racki (his avatar, not the baby face).

Also you may notice that the standings today are a little ghetto, but as I am home I don’t have access to a proper spreadsheet program and as such, well you get what you see today. Note that it will not impact the selection of the pic, as I have the proper tools for that here at home.

The Home Team

With the Oilers, well they have sucked balls (unless thats your thing, then they have sucked something really unpleasant). Although in all honesty, I can’t say I’m surprised as I called for them to finish real low this year. Not last, as they seem deadset on hitting, but still real low. Looking at some quick stats here, it looks like the Oilers lead the league with goals against (4.00 per game, and for reference Atlanta is second with 3.61, LA is last (first) with 1.87). The PK is also dead last at 67.6%. Surprising to me is that we are not last in FO% or shots against.

Sunday Night Fights

Amazingly, with the brawl in New York yesterday, only Dubinsky will be fined, and no other punishment handed out…which is surprising as I believe Peckham left the bench to go after Avery prior to his fight with #22 (can’t remember off the top of my head). Then again, Dubinsky fought Fraser from the bench so thats pretty bad.

After the brawl, Tencer reports that Smid is now out with a concussion and Peckham hurt his wrist, so looks like a couple defensemen will need to be called up now. Or at least 1. I predict Plante or Petry, cause while Belle may be playing better, he’s not in the future of the team. And really at this point we need to look to the future.

Around the league

Islanders fired their head coach. Feel kinda bad for him as his team is about as stacked as the Oilers.

mc79hockey has a post up (link would be up but his site has crashed, will update later) doing some work where he highlights some of Colin Campbells dealings with referees. I’m not going to talk much about it here, but he has pissed off some mainstream media (calling him a blogger with the derisive tone) but really its is some good solid work. TSN has a link here with more details (and thankfully they just don’t bash the dude).

Hell of a fight. I mean, wow.

Carter signs a 11 year deal.

The All Star game list came out, and there are 2 Oilers. Khabibulin and Hemsky. Hemsky deserves in it.

And I can’t think of anything else…remember I’ve been a hermit for the past week here.

CONFERENCE STANDINGS

10 Houston Aeros 16 17
11 Rochester Americans 17 17
12 Lake Erie Monsters 16 15
13 Texas Stars 13 14
14 Rockford IceHogs 15 13
15 Chicago Wolves 16 13

Linus Omark is sitting 5th in the league in scoring  with 19 points, while Giroux is sitting 14th with 17 points, both in 17 games  (Pouliot is currently at 11th with 18 points in 12 games, and was just called up).

# Player GP G A PTS +/- PIM PP SHG SOG SH%

5 d0nkey.punch(gr8one) 28-27-10 66
6 Layin Pipe 29-33-3 61
7 SamusBrattus 29-33-3 61
8 Racki’s Champions 25-33-7 57
9 Metal Mulisha 20-35-10 50
10 dawgtoy 22-40-3 47

29 Responses to “Monday Morning Standings”

Crap… I saw Peckham shaking his hand after he went after Avery. It looked like he got it caught on the door or something. I figured he hurt it..

And I think it was a given that Smid was concussed… damn it.

As far as Peckham coming off the bench.. I’m still not sure Tencer knows what he’s talking about. I have a feeling that there was maybe guys coming on with expectations of a line change since the play was dead and maybe guys thought things were over with…. not sure.

2. Trogdor says:

Other tidbits

– Lecavalier out.
    – Markov out.
    – Burninators in first!

3. MetalOil says:

Teams gotta love coming to Alberta these days. 4 free points before or after the Vancouver test.

In other news, looks like I’m receiving the hind banana in both pools.

Khabi’s 8.48 GAA didn’t help too much, mind you, in Foiled Again Too. Condolensces to Haboiler for also suffering from that choice in the other pool, although at least he still won his matchup.

Also, Quebec (possibly) getting federal arena funding might help us out too:

6. MetalOil says:

Racki: Oilers are recalling Jacques tomorrow. THANK GOD. I know he isn’t the most popular player in Oil-land, but I really loved what he brought last year, outside of the failed power-forward top six experiment. He is a very good hitter and physical presence, and can agitate as well too with his hits that often border on illegal at times. I really liked how he made it a habit to hit everyone he could. He’s also a decent enough fighter… so let’s get this guy in for some games, finally!Also, Quebec (possibly) getting federal arena funding might help us out too:http://hilltimes.com/page/view/votes-11-15-2010

Yeah at this point I think a player like JFJ is the type of player we need right now in our bottom 6 provided he can stay healthy. Management seems to not wanna give up on him bu I do think this is probably his last kick at the can here though. If he can 1)stay healthy & 2) provide a physical preference then it may work out.

7. mrsgr8one says:

After being called his “Old Lady” last week, there really should be a huge headline in this post that proclaims to climb back to the top position in the league, I kicked the pants off my smack-talking, hockey-playing husband. Just sayin’.

8. dawgtoy says:

New line combos at practice. Eberle on LW with 10 and 83. Penner on RW with 89 and 4. Paajarvi with 13 and 67. As per twitter…

I like those lines.

And Mrs Old Lady, your climb up the standings and husband-asskickery did not go unnoticed!

10. dawgtoy says:

As do I, but….if Pecks hurt his wrist and is questionable, and/or Smid has a concussion, we will be placing both Vandemeer and Struddy on the blue line. Also include a struggling Gilbert and a wimp called Foster, defensively we are a mess…duh!
    I really wish we could land something via trade to shore up the bleed. Orpik for Penner, Ference for Cogliano?Not sure a call to the farm is the answer either.

Yah I’ve always liked the offensive ability of our forward lines, but really, Renney had a good interview about how there is a big problem with them not supporting the defense. Personally, I think our defense have never seen the front of our net before. But playing a tight collapsing defense would probably help this team out.. much how MacT coached in the 05/06 cup run (obviously i have no delusions that we’re making the finals any time soon… “playoffs… Playoffs? we’re just trying to win a game!”)

As for guys we could/should have picked up.. don’t get me started there :P

But given that this team is in learning mode, I have a feeling that if Peckham or Smid hits IR, we’ll see Belle or Plante called up.

Finally Chuckers Puckers has a winning week. See…..The sun even shines on a dog’s ass once in a while.

Good job Mrs. Old Lady! :P

D-pairings today were:
    Peckham – Gilbert
    Vandermeer – Whitney
    Strudwick – Foster

Seeing as how Peckham skated, I presume his wrist is OK.

Both Fraser and Peckham commented that Smid was told by Avery that he wasn’t going to fight. Peckham said Avery told Smid “No, next shift”. Smid was obviously turned the wrong way, about to skate off when that snake jumped him. Some guys like making their name by being weasels in the league.. I’ll never understand it. Avery should have joined the WWE instead.

14. oilinblood says:

Just wanted to point out that a couple of Rangers made interesting comments post game about Avery and the brawl. One of my 5 “want aquisitions” of the past 3 years; Rafalski (never going to happen) Horton Halak Anthony Stewart and Boyle; Brian Boyle made a comment on ESPN that subtly stated he was p*ed off that he had to force himself to get mad at the oilers (and thus get physical in retaliation) for something he felt they had every right to seek retribution for. Principe (who i hate) has a blog where he states that Christensen basically commented he felt Smid was sucker punched as well. A few other Rangers said they didnt see what happened but could guess at what had transpired *while rolling their eyes etc*.

I saw Pecks reaction on the bench when it happened. He was definently wanting a piece of Avery. I dont blame him. An interestingquestion that is brought up is TOrts has forced some of his own players to deal with the retribution for bad acts. He has actually told players to not stick up for people in some circumstances. If MacI takes on Avery next matchup… I dont think Boogard will be jumping to Seans defence. Something tells me that most RAngers, once they saw what happened, had no interest in defending Avery anymore. ITs one thing to react because its a game and you didnt see what started everything… but once you are witness to the initial spark, it becomes much more difficult to just cast that knowledge aside.

BTW. Fan of the MMS Girl. Old style pin up.

Yeah, the post game and next day interviews made it very clear that Avery is hated in that locker room and none of the players wants to be associated with him. Dude is a sociopath.

Tencer just said JFJ and Belle are on their way.

17. Haboiler says:

Well now its up to Belle to show he belongs! Khabby will pitch a shutout tomorrow nite as I waived him from my fantasy team!

18. MetalOil says:

The preliminary draft rankings are in !!!

ISS(yesterday, all leagues combined) http://tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=11963
    &
    CSS(today, sorted by league or Country) http://tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=27

So going by the ISS since it is the whole picture the top 3 as of now are:

1. SEAN COUTURIER C 6’3 19 QMJHL
    2. RYAN-NUGENT HOPKINS C 5’11 155 WHL
    3. ADAM LARSSON D 6’2 209 Swedish Elite

I hear that this years choice is gonna be harder the last years Taylor-Tyler debate.

Actually don’t know much on RNH so if I had to make a choice between Couturier and Larrson I would be leaning towards Larrson but these players both play positions that we are in dire need of and I am very impressed with the little I have seen of Couturier.

Oh Yeah I think we are gonna finish bottom 2 again. :( / :)

Glad to see Peckham is ok! I think JFJ is gonna help this team out. I’m with Racki when it comes to JFJ. Belle is finally getting his shot, which is good to see. Glad to see that they are correctly developing Plante and Petry too, I think that will pay off in the long run for this team. Can’t say I’d be upset with a top 3 pick. Hopkins, Larsson and Couturier fill needs on this team.

20. NorwegianOiler says:

Well, they finally take action? ;)

I suppose Belle will be favourably compared to any one of Struds, Vandermeer or even Gilbert at this time.
    Even Grebeshkov at his worst did not sink this low. Which makes me think, it would be nice to have a Grebeshkov in the lineup, given that he actually made a breakout pass or two between turnovers, opposed to…

As for a potential top pick, I can’t see us draft another sub-6 foot player (Nugent-Hopkins) simply because it will be mayhem if he does not immediately pan out. Still, draft the best player available, BUT if the difference turns out to be minute…why not address the obvious and draft a top defenceman?

Yah I hate to write anyone off, but maybe if the consensus choice is RNH when it comes time for our pick, perhaps we should trade down. I haven’t really seen him play though… so it’s hard to turn someone aside.. cause you know that will come back to haunt us!

22. Mr.Majestyk says:

Trade down and make a deal with Florida for Gudbranson. He never signed an entry level deal with them, perhaps he’s not interested in being a Panther.

Maybe.. maybe there was just no plan to bring him in this year. Of course, they still could have signed him anyway, I suppose.

At any rate, he would definitely be nice to add in here.

I wonder how many teams would deal for our top pick right now and what they’d give… lol potential #1 overall again! (and I’m not saying we should.. just wondering what people would give up for it this early in the season, with us sitting in the basement)

I’d loooooooooove to get Gudbranson. I think he’s the best D man of the draft last year. Interesting he didn’t sign with Florida.

As for The Nuge, yeah he’s small, but perhaps there is a way to swap picks if needed. Hopefully we don’t have to worry about getting the player we want and just get him without any trade shananigans.

It might be another Taylor vs. Tyler thing too (I can’t believe we’re talking about drafting in the top 3 at this stage, btw.. lol) where there isn’t much separation between two or three guys and we can draft by need.

Right now, I’d say Larsson’s resume sounds the nicest fit (scouts/reporters like to throw out the Lidstrom comparisons too readily for players though). Yah, a big centerman would be phenomenal, but I’ve always been of the belief to build from the back up.

chucker: Interesting he didn’t sign with Florida.

27. MetalOil says:

Gubranson or Larrson? Who has more upside. The WJHC should give us a better indication. Can’t wait for the JRs to start since the Oil are sharting the bed.

I look forward to the WJHC’s every year. But it will be nice to get a look of the new crop, since we might be picking one of these guys next year..

29. Mr.Majestyk says:

Steve-O: More of a contract issue I hear. Supposedly he played himself onto the team, but they sent him back to junior and won’t sign him yet for money reasons (cap or actual I don’t know).

I figured entry level contracts for top prospects were pretty standard procedure. If they sent him back to junior he wouldn’t cost them anything anyway.