GDT: Oilers 4, Ducks 2 – Game 19 – 2010-11-21 @ 6:00 PM – SNET

Edmonton Oilers at Anaheim Ducks
logo AT logo
4-10-4 Record 10-9-3
Location: Honda Center
Date: November 21, 2010 @ 6:00 PM MST
TV: Sportsnet

The Oilers play the next two games on the road. Sometimes a road trip is good for ending a string of bad luck, sometimes its even worse for it. In this case, I think it will do the team some good as they already showed signs of recovery from the last game (and the rollercoaster ride continues). It was a 4-3 shootout loss vs. Phoenix, but the Oilers got off to a rare good start in the first period and held a 3-0 lead by mid-period 2. The Oil let the lead slip away though, and lost it in the shootout. Definitely not good, but there were a lot of strengths in this game. For one, our special teams were actually good. The first goal was by Hemsky, on the PK. The second goal was on the powerplay. In the first period, the Oilers killed off 7 (nearly) straight minutes of penalties (the penalties were courtesy of Andrew Cogliano, unfortunately for him). The Oilers did allow 1 in 3 kills and only scored 1 in 4 powerplay chances, but I’d still say things looked good on special teams.

Tonight they face the Ducks at perhaps a bad time, as they are 6-2-2 in their last 10. But really, is there ever a good time for the Oilers to play a team? I’m going to go with a win this time around, as the Oilers showed a pulse last game and could use it to their advantage.

Prediction: 4-2 Edmonton

Lydman Visnovsky
Sbisa Lilja
Sutton Fowler

Hiller

LIVE GAME CHAT

Closed.

42 Responses to “GDT: Oilers 4, Ducks 2 – Game 19 – 2010-11-21 @ 6:00 PM – SNET”

The Ducks made a small time trade today:

Per NHLFlyers on twitter:
    The Flyers have acquired (F) Rob Bordson and (D) Danny Syvret from the Anaheim Ducks in exchange for (F) Pat Maroon and (F) David Laliberte.

2. Mr.Majestyk says:

Second go round for Syvret and the Flyers.

3. Haboiler says:

Interesting Rumour that BO had on Twitter a few mins ago… Pens, Cogs and Vandy for Elias. His cap hit is $6M for the next 2 yrs. He has 2-10-12 in 20 games this yr. Is this the best they could get for this package… quite possibly… but I’d think LA could give some prospects/picks instead… not sure where he got his rumour from…

4. Haboiler says:

Looks like Brule back in and Smac/Storts both out.

Haboiler.. you’re not sure where Boston Oiler got a rumor from??? Really? :P

95% of his rumors come from the source that shall not be named :P So I wouldn’t put any stock in it.

6. Haboiler says:

LMAO Racki… Was trying to be sarcastic on BO’s rumour lol. The only good thing other than what you mentioned is that his deal is up aat the same time the Big 3′s EL deals are up. But you are right I never even thought about Hemmer’s connection. A good shakeup wouldn’t hurt.

7. Haboiler says:

Btw, speaking of rumors, the Fourth Period has a different rumor on the Oilers, saying that we’re looking for a shutdown d-man (god I hope that’s true… long overdue). The rumor is the Oilers have received interest in Penner and Hemsky but aren’t anxious to give either up.

The Fourth Period is generally pretty good with their rumors as they are all based on good sources, not the Eklund Twatwaffle wheel of donuts version of trade ideas.

Haboiler: Ironically, according to Cap Geek’s really awesome tool, the Devils actually lose cap space on the deal. therefore a definite no go…

I’d say that’s proof it isn’t happening, is more like it.. unless we’re taking a D-man the other way too. Perhaps Colin White’s 3M, or better yet, Henrick Tallinder ($3.75M). That would make more sense and align with what The Fourth Period is saying too as far as our needs. If that is the case, then I definitely pull the trigger.

P.S., to Boston Oiler, just giving you a hard time buddy, so take no offense to my Eklund Twatwaffle jokes when you read that. ;)

10. Haboiler says:

You’re right if they could get one of those Dmen back then for sure lets go get it done. I’d love to get Zajac out of NJ, but I doubt they would give him up.

As for the present there are definitely some issues we should be addressing but I think ST will address this in the summer as it could be another year of evaluation (aka dive for five). I think we should play Duby as much as we can this year and either at the deadline/over the summer seek out another Roli type of deal (unless Duby can play good on a consistent basis).

As for defense I wonder how hard it would be to pry away Dan Girardi from the Rangers. Probably pretty darn hard but we should include a few prospects that have established a promising NHL career, like Girardi, in our roster.

Holy crap…I like Elias, but talk about overpayment.

No freakin’ way I’d give up Penner straight up for Elias, let along add some players…especially since Jerseys’ #1 priority right now is clearing cap space. I bet Cogs and a 3rd rounder gets LouLams’ attention.

yikes. sometimes Oilers fans undervalue our players as much as Leafs fans overvalue theirs.

and yeah, I’d love Zajac too…but the Dev’s might actually have less depth at C than we do, so yeah, I really can’t see him being dealt.

I think Elias would be a great fit for the Oilers though, but not if Penner is part of the package.

Admittedly, the trade makes a bit of sense (when a defensive d-man is thrown in), as the Devils need as much of a shake up as we do.

But if it’s just Elias for Penner/Cogs/Vandermeer, no, that doesn’t make sense at all. I wouldn’t say that’s a forward move for the Oilers at all, and is an impossible move for the Devils.

But if we’re talking about adding Tallinder in there or Colin White, suddenly the Devils are saving cap space while potentially gaining some players who can put up some offense in Penner and Cogliano. They definitely loose some defensive ability, but that has always been a strength for them, so perhaps they can afford that.

For the Oilers, we move maybe a little backwards in offense, possibly sideways (since Penner is the better player now), but take a quantum leap forward in defense, which is what this team has needed in forever. The salary coming back is tolerable for now.

zackman35: I can’t see the Oilers making any big name trades before the deadline, in my opinion that would be kind of stupid. That Oilers would be a lot more likely to get something more out of a deal with a team either going in or trying to make the playoffs. I think it’d be really smart if they go for the top three pick this year or more specifically Adam Larrson, on top of the Oilers first round pick. I’m not sure what the value of Larrson would be but its kind of scary hearing that Hemsky + Eberle was the asking price for Seguin (I think TSN reported that).

This honestly is more likely the course that the Oilers will take…. I mentioned in another thread that I think that unless the Oilers do something soon to try and fix this team (which isn’t a bad idea if you DO want to make a winning season of it), they will throw the season away again and hope for a top 3 draft pick.

But if they were going to make a deal, the deal only makes sense to me if they’re going for a blueliner with shutdown ability as well (Tallinder or White, for example).

Selanne out with groin injury tonight.

Edited post, Girardi idea. I wonder if Koivu will get more ice time now, I hope so because I need to rack up some assists for the pool.

Racki: Haboiler.. you’re not sure where Boston Oiler got a rumor from??? Really? 95% of his rumors come from the source that shall not be named So I wouldn’t put any stock in it. Anyways, Elias and Hemmer might have some good Czemistry together (I’m full of the Gene puns today), but I don’t know… a little on the old side. But at the same time, never underestimate what a veteran player can bring to a young line up. I think we’re giving up a lot for him though and would say that the Devils should be happy with that deal.And yah, I just heard about Stortini/SMac out since Parros is a sniping machine vs. us. But no word on lines yet, hey? I’d say its a fairly good bet that I got them right, however, Renney blends things almost as much as MacTavish, if not more.

Lucky for you, this isn’t an Ek rumor. Don’t be so quick to judge my firend lol

Haboiler: Ironically, according to Cap Geek’s really awesome trade tool, the Devils actually lose cap space on the deal. therefore a definite no go…

Bryce Salavador, Colin White had their named brough up as coming back to Edmonton. There will be multiple going each way according to the email I got.

19. Haboiler says:

If it were White, I’d do that in a hearbeat, not sure about Salvador. Looking forward to see what happens! Still rather have Zajac!

Bostonoiler:

Bostonoiler:
    Lucky for you, this isn’t an Ek rumor. Don’t be so quick to judge my firend lol

Just bustin’ your balls, as always :P in one of my other posts in this thread, I said I was just kidding about ribbing you.

But I’d be interested in NJ’s d-men more than anything. So White, Tallinder.. even Salvador, as you mentioned, might be interesting. He’s a big physical presence. However, I’d prefer Tallinder first, White second, Salvador a distant third. Especially if Penner is involved.

/EDIT

gr8one: I dunno…I still think You guys are undervaluing Penner…I guess my apprehension is derived from the fact that all of the players you are all throwing out there are older and in the twilight of their careers, whereas we would be sending back a lot of youth…Penner is still young, and IMHO just entering his peak years, and Cogs hasn’t found his game at all yet.I just can’t stand the though of watching Penner in 5 years putting up 80-90 point seasons while being a well rounded player and Cogs putting up 50 point seasons while being a great PK’er and seeing Elias and Co. going back to Jersey to coach them after they retire in a couple of years.If we’re going to trade away a player like Penner I’d rather see him go for a young high end D man or first round pic, than aging vets that won’t be around in 3 years. If we acquired a young d man via trade, we wouldn’t need to think about drafting Larsson as much(or draft a high end d prospect if it’s a pick we get), pick up Couturier, and our team needs look solid in all aspects going forward.Then all we need is the role player types available via free agency that suddenly would WANT to sign here./EDITIf we’re talking about NJD D men that I’d want, I’d easily put Volch on the top of that list…but I doubt since he is a recent UFA signing that he’s available, but that goes for Tallinder too.

I’m not undervaluing penner, I’m just saying what I’m hearing. Really tho, we aren’t signing Vandermeer after the season, and I think they are looking to deal off Cogliano too. In reality its Cogs and Penner for Elias + defender. Penner is good, but hes gonna walk in two years, set it in stone. Hemsky will be kept around. I like Elias and think he would be a good leader and he is a responsible two-way guy that can score goals.

gr8one: Yah really, I don’t want to see Penner go… just doing what we fans like to do here, and that’s talk rumors. But you’re right, we’re giving up more than we’d be getting, even with a d-man coming back. But I do think it’s a little closer to realistic to what would make each team better. I think that deal (with a shutdown d-man included coming our way) would make both teams better. Would we be giving up too much though? Yes, you are right.

p.s.: your use of reasoning is unwelcome here in dream land.

I agree with Gr8one when trading away “future” players for overpaid players in their twilight seasons of their career. We can acquire a veteran presence when the time is needed but I think any moves this season and or next should be lateral moves in that we acquire players that have established themselves at an early age ie. Girardi. If we can perhaps take advantage of teams like NJ and Boston that would help alleviate their cap problems.

ESPN was mentioning how Penner’s laziness very well could get him a ticket right out of Edmonton. Thought that was interesting.

I wouldn’t say ESPN is the most connected hockey crew either though. lol

B.O.:

Yeah, I wasn’t saying you, or anyone was specifically undervaluing him him, in your case I definitely realize that you were just reporting it, and not necessarily supporting it.

anyways, I can definitely see some value in trading Penner, but if we do trade him, it should be for building blocks for the future, not vets that won’t be around in a few years.

My line of thinking is much like what Zackman alluded to…it seems like every year there are a plethora of those vets that are role players like the Malhotra’s and shut down D available via UFA, and once we put together a good young team that starts winning they will want to sign here, I just think that’s a more prudent approach than trading younger for older in the midst of a rebuild, that’s just counter productive.

I honestly don’t want any players this season that improves us greatly. If we could find a player that wins some faceoffs and a shutdown D without giving up too much, that can come in and help us be a bit better(ie: not getting blown out every other game) but doesn’t improve the team so much that it takes us out of lottery pick land, I personally think would be ideal.

Build from the draft, and buy the plug and play players when they are REALLY needed.
    BTW, some of ya’ll should check out the season Marincin is having with Prince George, that pick is looking awfully good, and with his size and the ability he’s showing, once he fills out his massive frame, we just might(Oilers glasses on now!) have our own Tyler Myers in the system already.

I want Coutourior!

28. NorwegianOiler says:

Turning Penner and Cogs into Elias and a Salvador-type player resembles the way in which we turned a major talent in Pitkänen (who had his failings) into sweet nothing in just a few seasons.

I don’t think the recent weeks’ lack of competitiveness is healthy for our development at all, but I hope we’re calm enough to avoid spreading the ineptness to trades as well.

Note that I like Elias as a player, but he and his salary has little to offer this team in the near future. In the distant future, he has retired anyway.

Well said, gr8one.

Magnus drops to line 4 tonight.. ouch. Lets not forget though that a few of our players have paid their dues there (although perhaps too long in some cases, not long enough in other cases). But it still interests me that they’re doing it, because I wonder sometimes if they shelter these kids a bit too much. Lets face it, he’s been invisible. He hasn’t been bad, but he hasn’t really shown any spark at all, and maybe this will give him some jump. As I mentioned elsewhere, I hope we see him hit the PK too, since he hasn’t been bad defensively and it might help keep his legs going since he’ll be losing ice time being on line 4.

Gr8one: I heard that Couturier isn’t as fluid skater but he excels in both offensive and defensive parts of the game. On the other hand RNH is quite a superb skater. Not only that is that he is 6’0 and 165lbs, give or take five pounds. This is something that impresses me because if he can play an elite level game and is physically undeveloped what is he going to be like when he matures?

I’ll have to wait till the World Juniors however before I start making strong opinions. I’ve seen RNH play multiple times and its like he does have that sixth sense when he makes a pass at times but Couturier seems to be the complete package. It’s really early to be talking draft but at the same time if the Oilers are going to be the next elite, up and coming team I think we’re going to need at least one more top three pick in our system.

Just a thought, I wonder what a Hall – Gags – Eberle line would do. Defensively not so great, offensively though?

32. MetalOil says:

Yeah we won but I still can’t get over that Peckham delay of game penalty. The Officiating in NHL is at an all time low right now. I think Racki said that he believes it all evens out in the end. If that’s true then the Oilers must have got a ton of calls go there way in the 80′s cause we have been getting the short end of the stick since then :)

-Edit-
    According to the TSN game story

“Veteran referee Stephen Walkom ruled that Peckham cleared the puck over the glass in the Edmonton zone, but replays clearly showed that the puck went into the crowd through a hole in the glass that photographers use to get a clear shot. Walkom even asked the photographer sitting there about it, but wouldn’t reverse the call despite Peckham’s vehement protests.”

Walkom obviously never saw the play as evidenced by his asking the cameraman. To me this warrants an suspension to Walkom. He made a guess on that call and that is unacceptable. We need to set a higher standard of officiating in this league.

Nice win tonight. Dubnyk reminded me of Roli tonight, and I don’t want Khabi to return. Oilers were terribly outshot tonight, but got goals when needed, and made defensive plays when needed. This was a good win. Lets do it again Tuesday and get revenge for that bad loss against the Yotes Friday.

Oh, and one more thing, Paajarvi shouldn’t be on the 4th line. I say send him to OKC. He needs to be playing top line minutes, and he won’t be doing that with the Oilers. It will not help his production to be a 4th liner here in Edmonton, but it would help him to be a 1st liner in OKC. Bring up someone like MacDonald or O’Marra who is fit for the 4th line role, and let Paajarvi lose with Omark on the farm for a little while. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don’t screw up Paajarvi Oilers, let him develop right!

And another thing lmao, Bob Hall, manager of officials admitted that the refs made the wrong call on the Peckham delay of game penalty. The comment is on the Oilers facebook page.

36. hemmerlady says:

A win?!? Sweet. I have to say I was rather pessimistic about our chances this evening, and I am pleasantly surprised.

Typical about the blown delay-of-game call. If you didn’t see the play, why make a call like that?

I just watched the highlights on the Perry own-goal empty netter, lol…too funny! Too bad Doobie didn’t get credited with it instead of Gilbs!

Maybe that brutal call on Pecks delay of game penalty was the tipping point for the hockey gods to smile upon our franchise again a little bit!

STAY WARM HL!

MetalOil: Yeah we won but I still can’t get over that Peckham delay of game penalty. The Officiating in NHL is at an all time low right now. I think Racki said that he believes it all evens out in the end. If that’s true then the Oilers must have got a ton of calls go there way in the 80′s cause we have been getting the short end of the stick since then

I just think blaming referees is giving a team an excuse for an outcome of the game. This was no phantom hand pass (that one was horrible though and embarrassing, on Mr. Magoo’s part). Teams are all going to deal with this stuff from time to time. The referees aren’t out to get us because they don’t need to be out to get us.. we do a fine enough job of letting teams score on us with even just a few powerplays. Other teams go through this stuff too.

We’ll remember the phantom hand passes, but we won’t remember the bad calls that have gone our way too. But really, I don’t think there is a big refereeing epidemic or anything. Mistakes will be made, but it’s not likely we’re getting burned all the time.

That said, Gregson should take a look at this incident though (we generally don’t hear about it, but referees do get suspended too for making mistakes). Ironically, Stephen Walkom used to be the Director of Officiating (it’s Terry Gregson now). But honestly, I get tired of the bad officiating outs because really it’s not that bad. Stuff is going to be missed from time to time. For some reason people have this idea that referees are robots that should get every call right 100% of the time. The phantom hand pass was plain stupid judgement on McGeough’s part, but it just goes to show how quick the game is and how little time a referee has to make a decision. Consider this to be an argument for challenges that have been talked about.

39. MetalOil says:

I understand that officials are gonna make mistakes and all and I usually accept that but not in this case. What is unacceptable to me is that Walkom asked the cameraman if the puck went through the camera hole(TSN). So it’s obvious he never saw the play and as a result had no business making a call in the first place. This is why I think a suspension, fine or even just a warning is worth taking a look at. If he is gonna make a call on a play that he did not see then his decision making process should be questioned. At the very least the NHL should send out a memo to all officials telling them that they must only call infractions on plays that they actually see :)

lol love the memo suggestion :P
    Maybe Coli can send the email on it..

But seriously, yes, it does warrant a look. I just am saying that my comment in the GDT chat was more in regards to the feelings (i dont think just by you) that the refs are always out to get us. But this one should be reviewed.

41. Spartacus says:

I was just thinking that it’s weird that the Ducks fans would be booing Whitney but not Penner.

Whitney got traded through no fault or choice of his own, but Penner grabbed the contract and dumped the Ducks but no one seems bothered by that.

Maybe they’ve already forgiven and forgotten? I dunno.

I think they’ve just forgotten, since.. well.. they’re Ducks fans and probably haven’t watched for very long. OOOOhhh burnnnn