GDT: Oilers 3, Coyotes 4 (SO) – Game 18 – 2010-11-19 @ 7:00 PM – SNET

Edmonton Oilers vs. Phoenix Coyotes
logo AT logo
8-5-5 Record 4-10-3
Location:Rexall Place
Date: November 19, 2010 @ 7:00 PM MST
TV: Sportsnet

Tonight the Oil face the Coyotes at Rexall. The Coyotes come in fairly hot, with a 4 game winning streak. The Oilers are winless in 5 and are 2nd last in the league (since they have a game in hand on the Islanders). So there’s a good guess how this one will go.

The Oilers had a fun day yesterday in practice. They came out jerseyless, threw the sticks in the middle and then had an old school pond hockey game. They also has a strip-down shootout. The season so far hasn’t been fun at all for this team. I actually don’t mind this, as you gotta try everything to get these guys out of their funk.

However…

Jovanovski Aucoin
Schlemko Yonkman

Bryzgalov
Labarbera

LIVE GAME CHAT

Closed.

21 Responses to “GDT: Oilers 3, Coyotes 4 (SO) – Game 18 – 2010-11-19 @ 7:00 PM – SNET”

Hall / Horcoff / Eberle reunited.. love it.

Ditto line 2..

Also, line 4, I like Jacques and Stortini together again.. hopefully Jacques can awaken the beast in Storts.

2. D-man09 says:

Poor Peckham, he is going to suffer in this game because of Vandemeer. otherwise I like the lines and hope that JFJ can elevate that line and the team. I think he has that kind of impact when he plays well. Opens peoples eyes and shoot adrenaline into the rest of the team.

3. Trogdor says:

Brule a healthy scratch tonight? Not sure I agree with that. There are one or two others that could use a night in the press box ahead of him.

D-man09: Poor Peckham, he is going to suffer in this game because of Vandemeer.otherwise I like the lines and hope that JFJ can elevate that line and the team.I think he has that kind of impact when he plays well.Opens peoples eyes and shoot adrenaline into the rest of the team.

Hey D-man09, welcome to the site.. good comments over on David Staples’ blog about the D there.

Anyways, I can’t say I’m a Vandermeer fan either.

In the Journal today about smid:

Defenceman Ladislav Smid is back on his skates and while he won’t be in the lineup against the Coyotes, he will head out on the road trip Saturday with an eye on playing in Anaheim, or barring that, in Phoenix on Tuesday.

The concern now apparently isn’t so much his head, but his neck, which he had surgery on last year.

6. I just don’t get how Renney waited until Khabibulin was injured to start giving Dubnyk more of a shot. I really don’t. It really couldn’t have hurt anything, could it? The Oilers have four goaltenders in the system, and he chose to stick with him. Don’t get it.

Trogdor: Brule a healthy scratch tonight?Not sure I agree with that.There are one or two others that could use a night in the press box ahead of him.

I agree. He’s been the best Oiler forward on many nights in my eyes. I’m starting to wonder what the fuck is going on with Renney.

8. Mr.Majestyk says:

I think the reason Khabi was given so many starts is because he’s the goaltender that gives us the best chance to win games. Yes his record is atrocious and he’s let in a few softies, but the team in front of him has been abysmal. On many nights he starts out by making a few beauties and keeping the team close, but eventually he can’t turn them all aside and once we fall behind the chances against mount as the team takes chances trying to score goals. The other factor was that the schedule was such that he’d play a couple games and we’d have several nights off. We didn’t have a ton of back to back games or 3 in 4 nights.

Not surprised Brule is getting scratched. He’s got the tools to make things happen, but I fear that he’s not the greatest ‘thinker’ the game has seen, and at times he’s going to need to sit in the pressbox to get his head back on straight. Get back to the basic things that make him successful. He can be an agitating type player, but lately I wonder if he’s agitating other players or he’s just agitated with himself out there.

9. Trogdor says:

Time for fans to get pissed about Burns not being inducted this year… Shame

Trogdor: Time for fans to get pissed about Burns not being inducted this year… Shame

I got nothing against women, but I think Burns should have gotten in before them both. Its a shame he didn’t make the HOF before tihs happened. RIP Pat

11. otto says:

Bostonoiler:

Jeez, this whole stance is really starting to irritate me.

otto: Jeez, this whole stance is really starting to irritate me. It’s not because they were inducted that he wasn’t, it was because of politics. Besides, there were three other men inducted that same night – were they all worthy more then Pat Burns?

I agree, well said otto.

Thanks Pat for everything you brought to this wonderful game – we all know you are a Hall of Famer even if the powers that be did not officially recognize you as such before your last breath. Your suffering is over and you can rest in peace. Thoughts and prayers are with your loved ones left behind, unfortunately I know only too well what they have been through watching this terrible disease suck the life out of you and losing you at such a young age. God Bless.

Ony the Oilers can dominate, take a 3-0 lead, and then lose 4-3 in the shootout…….sigh, Well at least we got a point tonight!

yah the Oil threw that one away, but I liked their work ethic much more in this one than many other games this year. They showed a lot of promise and proved that they aren’t as bad a team as they’ve played. They have to take this game as a positive one now, heading onto the road for the next two games.

16. hemmerlady says:

Racki: Bostonoiler: It’s a new category. You think Pat Burns would have made a better candidate for female inductee than the two named? If anything they should have made an exception and added another male… or dumped one of the men that did make it this year… but the two female inductees had nothing to do with Burns not getting in.. zero.

Wickenheiser, Hefford, Botterill and a few others will follow suit at some point in the future, and they deserve to be inducted. They’re excellent hockey players, among the best in the world.

Another Oil loss…sad, but not surprising.

I want to see the Oilers successful but at the same time I’d like to see them pick up another top three pick. They should trade some assets this deadline (Penner, Cogliano, Brule, Khabi-if a team loses a goalie trying to make playoffs etc.), not so much for picks but maybe players that can start to fill the void.

Hall and Ebs are definitely showing some promise no doubt about it. I think Magnus should be given more time on the top two lines but other players seem to be simply outplaying him. There are a lot of holes to fill but if we can draft Courtier and or a highly touted Defensive prospect we’ll be good in the prospect/building for the future dept. Then we just need to figure out how to solidify our defense and maybe sign a 6’+ top six and FO guy.

18. John says:

Hall is impressing me too. I knew he would eventually find his way in the NHL but I have to say I’m suprised how quickly he seems to be finding his groove. Really enjoying the development of his two way game; that’s a bonus I wasn’t expecting so quickly. As for Dubnyk, I didn’t even miss Khabi last night!

Zack: I kind of wonder why Renney hasn’t put Magnus on the PK yet. He must not be very good at it, I guess. He seems to be defensively sound though. That is a good spot to put guys sometimes when things don’t seem to go right, as a sign of good faith. I also wonder why Hall wasn’t tried there, with Eberle failing. I think Renney doesn’t like Hall’s style of playing keepaway on a PK though.. too high risk. It seemed like he had him out there once, and he carried the puck up ice like he was going to break the zone, but when the team stacked up at the blue line, he circled back and passed the puck backwards to kill more time. I thought it worked well, but I’m presuming that’s not on the same page as Renney and from that point he dropped him like a bad habit from the PK.

As for Couturier, I’m warming up to the idea. I’ve always been of the mindset that you fill the back end first, but I feel a bit more confident in our defensive prospects with Petry, Belle and Plante, as well as existing players Peckham and Smid. That said, it’s still pretty hard to just pass up on “the next, next Lidstrom” (which, btw, is a comparison too commonly thrown around). Anyways, Couturier definitely has the size we need, with the skill level.

20. Ktown says:

Does Boston have Toronto’s first again this year?

If so, and they get close to the SCF without winning, it may be an option to dump some of our ‘top-end’ guys to try and swing an extra pick… don’t know if they’d be worth a top pick, but that pick would help us a heckuva lot more than the B’s who could likely use a guy with Stanley Cup experience (and a ring) WAY more than we could…

After last season, Penner played his way back into everyone’s good books, but as much of a gamebreaker as he can be, I’d be willing to broom him for a top 3 prospect if the opportunity came. I just don’t know who we could package him with to get that pick (he won’t be worth it alone).

Yes, the B’s have Toronto’s pick this year. Would I trade Penner for that pick? Most likely. I think those that know me well, know I’ve been a Penner supporter for a while. But I think having an extra shot at Couturier or Larsson would be worth giving him and a bit more for. I’m not sure if the B’s would be interested though.