GDT: Oilers 1, Hurricanes 7 – Game 13 – 2010-11-09 @ 5:00 PM – SNET

logo AT logo
4-6-2 Record 7-7-0
Location:RBC Center
Date: November 9, 2010 @ 5:00 PM MST
TV: Sportsnet West

PRE-GAME

The Oilers dominated the Canes last year, sweeping the season series. It was only one game, but it’s a sweep! Same deal this season, so here’s hoping for another win. The Canes are currently 7-7 and most recently split a home and home with the Panthers. 7th pick Jeff Skinner has been turning some heads so far tallying 12 points in 14 games. I think he’s after our Calder.

Who’s hot? Kurtis Foster, that’s who! He’s been a point per game guy the last 5 and Gagner has also lit the lamp 3 times in the last 4 games.

No official word on line ups so far and Horcoff plus a few others are listed questionable tonight so we could see some changes.

Stab in the dark at lines

Hall Gagner Hemsky

McBain Babchuk
Harrison Carson

Ward
Peters

LIVE CHAT

Closed.

34 Responses to “GDT: Oilers 1, Hurricanes 7 – Game 13 – 2010-11-09 @ 5:00 PM – SNET”

1. MetalOil says:

What’s going on with Peckham? Does he still have the flu or is there something else going on with him?

Peckham is back in tonight.. Vandermeer out, per Oilers Nation.

Horcoff is also out tonight. Lots of line juggling, per Jason Gregor.

Btw, D-pairings are a guess on my part, based on last time all those guys were in lineup together.

4. MetalOil says:

Oh good. I suppose the team wanted to keep Peckham away from the team until he recovered fully from his symptoms. No need for a repeat of last years epidemic.

yah that was pretty brutal. Of course, some of those guys did have H1N1, mind you. But better safe than sorry.

6. MetalOil says:

7. Trogdor says:

Maybe the poor sap got a flu shot like I did. You don’t get the flu, just flu like symptoms…

MetalOil:

8. otto says:

“It was only one game, but it’s a sweep!”

Love the positivity! Lol!

9. otto says:

MetalOil: Okay close eyes of on Samsonov and Cole guys, Ummkay. Maybe Pitkanen too. He is listed a questionable I think. The Canes might wanna think about inserting POS too.

Whats the record for hattricks in a single game?

10. MetalOil says:

LOL, Actually I think it may have been a game between the Kings and Flames in the 1st round of the 1990 playoffs that I remember from the “Quest for the Silver Dream” VHS that I still own. I think 3 or 4 players had hatty’s in that game. Might be wrong though. It has been a while since I have watched it.

otto: “It was only one game, but it’s a sweep!”
    Love the positivity! Lol!In the grand scheme on things, it doesn’t really matter, but I’d like to see Dubie play more (a lot more, actually). This kid isn’t going to get any experience sitting on the bench.

I tend to agree with you but right now I do not think it would really fit. Khabby seems to be heating up a bit and therefor should stay in the net for tonight’s game at least. I would look for Dubes to get in with the back to back game nights later this week.

11. Trogdor says:

Record is 3 hat tricks in a game. Done a couple of times. Jacques Richard, Anton Stastny and his brother Peter. Wayne Gretzky, Jari Kurri, Willie Lindstrom. And Dave Taylor, Tony Granato, and Tomas Sandstrom in a playoff game if the internerd isn’t lying to me.

12. otto says:

Huh, cool. Anyone thinking the Canes can beat that tonight? Also, Pits is apparently playing tonight, from what I’ve heard.

Regarding the goalie thing: I’m of the mindset that this season isn’t about winning a certain number of games (heck I’d rather see these guys get another top draft pick this year). To me Bulin is just a plug in the net.

13. mrgod2u says:

The simple fact is it is next to impossible to guess what kind of game we’ll get from the Oilers tonight. If the goals come early it could be a rout. If they hit some posts it could be anyone’s game. We seem to be very “feast or famine” on offense so far this year. Hopefully the kids get buzzing and it goes our way.

14. oilinblood says:

Its going to be interesting to see how we do without Horcs. Carolina is pretty solid normally in the dot. I have a feeling we might be chasing all night.

We might have a good offensive night because of a shortened bench (more “feels”/”touches”for the skill players). I dont see the 4th line getting all that much ice time.

I am excited to see skinner play. i havent caught any Hurricanes games in full yet this year.

15. MetalOil says:

Trogdor: Record is 3 hat tricks in a game.Done a couple of times.Jacques Richard, Anton Stastny and his brother Peter.Wayne Gretzky, Jari Kurri, Willie Lindstrom.And Dave Taylor, Tony Granato, and Tomas Sandstrom in a playoff game if the internerd isn’t lying to me.As for Dubie, they projected the back up to get around 20 starts and they are nowhere near that pace so far, but the early games have been pretty spread out.

Yeah the Talyor/Granato/Sandstrom Hat trick game was the one I was talking about. It marked the only time in NHL history three players have had three goals in the same game for the same team.

Wayne Gretzky, Kurri And Lindstrom would have been same too… or well.. it could have been. They all played for us together. I’m guessing they all scored their hat tricks for us. If so, that’s friggen crazy. Especially Willie, who didn’t exactly score in bucketfulls for us.

Oh, and it looks like the Stastny’s and Jacques Richard would have all done it for Quebec too.

But hey, I’m just going by Trogdor’s googlepower.

17. MetalOil says:

Humm maybe the site I got that from meant in NHL playoff history then. http://kings.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=40908 (April 10th on the left hand side of page)

Excited to see Skinner play. Hopefully Shaw finishes up here quick.

and while captcha sucks on mobile, it may be easier then logging in.

19. MetalOil says:

Here something about Theo Peckham that I am sure not many of us knew about(I sure didn’t). Even his teammates didn’t know.

They interviewed him in the last game and he mentioned that actually.. or the game before.. I seem to recall him being out of the line up, so probably 2 games ago.

21. oilinblood says:

Thats pretty awesome. Burns deserves to be in there but i wont take anything away from the other very deserving inductees.

I dont know if anyone caught a recent KFoster interview where he discussed the fact he is not used to PK and defensive assignments. I had been pretty harsh regarding some of his brain cramps up to that point. Now with the reality known, that he chose edmonton because he would be given the chance to learn and work on that part of his game, i have embraced the learning curve with him.
    Im sure i could track it down if people want a link.

Before the Chi game – and Khabis domination- i thought Dubs would start this game. Any news?

22. MetalOil says:

oilinblood: i thought Dubs would start this game. Any news?

Logically I would expect to see him in net for a game in the back to backs latter this week (Thurs-Friday) but not tonight with Khabby heating up of late.

23. dawgtoy says:

What a train wreck!!!

24. otto says:

Wow! I’m glad I missed that one.

Thanks for helping us tank, ‘Bulin!

26. MetalOil says:

Renney: “I saw a team that decided because they didn’t get a penalty call, that the world was against them tonight.”

27. otto says:

It’s crazy to think that they know bad starts are killing them and yet they’re not improving in that department.

Interesting comment from Renney. The folly of a young team, i guess.

28. NorwegianOiler says:

That was humiliating. It was the ultimate test, for any recovering ragequitter…

It can only get better right???? right?

30. John says:

LateNightOilFan: All I caught were the first 2 minutes and we were down by 2 then – I think on the first 2 SOG! I recorded it, think I might delete it without watching though…oh well.

WORD!

31. mrgod2u says:

That is always a risk when you have a young team, the ups and downs and managing frustration.

In their defense that missed high stick on Cogs was absolutely brutal. The ref was maybe 4 feet away, looking right at it (the puck was right there too) and he goes down. The Oilers get puck possession while Cogs is down holding his face. No whistle. Then they go down and we take a penalty because we are playing effectively shorthanded while cogs limps to the bench.

I can’t remember which goal it was (3 or 4) but there was one play when the ‘Canes broke out of the zone, and Gags got left behind, he basically coasted up ice a full line behind the play, and Carolina had scored before he entered our Defensive zone.

I doubt there will be any shortage of things to discuss at team skate.

32. Trogdor says:

Rough game indeed. Watched the first period then decided to opt for an exciting evening of mattress shopping. Good choice, although the second half of the game was a respectable 3-1. That stick on Cogs was pretty brutal but the puck was headed to the net and the near ref was watching to see if it had a chance. The other ref or one of the linesman should have seen the stick though.

Can’t get on Khabi too much. Couple of powerplay goals against as per the usual and I saw one 4 on 2 for LaRose I think. No support results in a mercy yanking.

I was just getting used to thinking we were awesome though..

34. John says:

Yah Racki but then you realised we still have AHLer Gilbert & crotchety Strudwick on the blue line right?