Tick tock on Souray…

By , October 5, 2010 10:22 am
What to do with this guy..

What to do with this guy..

Sheldon Souray still sits on our roster, taking up a spot, as we all know. Teams must submit their 23-man opening game rosters prior to the season starting, which is October 7th (i.e. Thursday… 2 days from now). This might force Tambellini’s hand.

Bob McKenzie already described the Oilers’ options in a fine article, so I won’t re-spew that, but I’ll summarize and re-update the options.

For starters, Souray has already cleared waivers… so it would stand to reason that regular waivers are no longer an option. So that leaves just a few possibilities here:

- Send him to the Oklahoma Barons (AHL) for at least the start of the season.
- Send him to the Stockton Thunder (ECHL) for at least the start of the season.
- Loan him to another team’s AHL club, as was done with Nylander by the Capitals.
- Assign him somewhere, then recall him, exposing him to recall waivers, where he would almost undoubtedly get claimed. The Oilers would pay 50% of his salary and have 50% of his cap hit for the remainder of his contract (2 years).
- Leave him on the roster until a trade is possible, forcing the team to assign someone to the AHL, at least temporarily.

I personally think the Oilers are going to go the recall waivers route, because I can’t see any team being desperate enough to trade for him anytime soon. Do we want to risk another player on waivers, or demote one of the rookies in order to get 50 cents on the dollar for Souray?

That said, what are your guys’ thoughts? What SHOULD the Oilers do?

What SHOULD the Oilers do with Souray if a trade can't be made by the season's start?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

87 Responses to “Tick tock on Souray…”

DropIt:
    Edmonton won, yes.I wouldnt say fleeced though. Staios’ contract obviously isnt something to be happy with, but at the time the Flamers were having dressing room problems and they went out and got, IMO the biggest voice on the Coilers’ team. When the Coil were a competing team, it was Staios that seemed to be the guy telling the other players to get their ass in gear and was breaking sticks at practise. I love that aspect of him.
    Once he gets a bit more comfortable in the Calgary setting, I think he will bring this aspect to the blue line along with Regehr.

Yah honestly, I was a Steady Steve fan. He got inconsistent in his final couple of years here though. But he’s a stand up guy. I wouldn’t say he was the most vocal guy on the team though, but I assume he’s a good locker room guy. The Oilers were rumored to have dressing room issues though between vets and rookies.. so it’s hard to say.

Souray has been loaned to the Hershey Bears of the AHL (Washington Capitals)

Racki: Souray has been loaned to the Hershey Bears of the AHL (Washington Capitals)

So does that mean he has to go through re-call waivers if they work out a trade? i.e. did they demote him and then loan him?

edit – TSN answered my question – he’s been assigned to AHL so re-call waivers would apply if they want to trade or play him.

4. Trogdor says:

And I thought Tambo would hold out until the very last minute… At least he won’t be mentoring our prospects.

5. oilinblood says:

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET! Good riddance. I hope we eat the cost of the whole year. Hey SHeldon sorry but no one wanted you for free. You suck. Ride the bus.

If he doesnt report does he become a UFA? I heard they just dont get paid if they dont report, but all in all it might make sense that the union put an out clause in demotions for its players.

7. oilinblood says:

When did they ever say anything positive about souray this season. I havent heard any of them even mention his name since pre-season started. I know some of them played pollitically correct about him when there was a chance they might have to let him into camp but from all the sources ive heard the players are happy to not have his complianing. Also Tambi talked to Ales, Horcs, Struds, Penner and Gags about this issue…and here we are. From sources inside the oilers dressing room it is known that SOuray was a complainer on and off the ice and ESPECIALLY on the bench.

2 good moves…2 moves of strong professionalism and integrity made today.

No for the re-entry debate. It doesnt do the Oilers any good to bring SOuray up on re-entrys. He is WORTHLESS. 29 other teams laughed at the thought of getting him for free. No one wants him. If the oilers bring him up on re-entrys they would still pay out a full year of his salary and take on the cap hit. sure we might not need that half cap hit we would half to carry but theres no advantage whatsoever. If he gets claimed on re-entrys we will still pay a full years salary… so let him play the entire AHL season. If you lose him on re-entrys you pay for another team to use him. Thats just asinine. The OIlers dont benefit one bit from dealing with Souray anymore. Let him sit the entire year and if someone wants him next off season they can have him. We wont be any further out of pocket than if he got claimed right now on reentrys.

Its part of my personality as a professional as well that if someone is to complain like a baby that those people get black listed and never work for a top company again. Adults only need apply.

LateNightOilFan: It’s a friggen joke, sorry.The objective of a GM is to make his team better – to ice the best team possible.The players have already said they could use Souray in the lineup.This is pure stubborness and scorned ego talking on the part of Lowebellini – not a proper business decision.Now they are paying Souray full salary to play for another NHL team’s farm team.You know if they had just sat down together with their player and talked things over, none of this would have happened.

We don’t know all of what goes on. Maybe there was more to it than just him lashing out at management. Maybe he had some locker room issues, who knows.

At any rate, I have no problem with their decision to keep a guy that didn’t want to play here as far away from our prospects as possible. I think the Oil are tired of bending over backwards for the Prongers and such and it’s time to say “go fuck yourself” to anyone that weasel’s their way out of a contract. This coming from a guy who always liked Souray right from the signing.

I would have loved to have seen them kiss and make up too, but I have no problems with this decision. I don’t know the full extent of things.

9. mrgod2u says:

I agree that the Prima Donna attitude needs to be stopped, especially with our new young stars coming up, they need to see management get tough. I sincerely hope that Souray doesn’t report, that would give us the opportunity to unconditionally waive him and be off the hook for his salary (as was the case with Sykora and the Wild). Failing that we need to keep him buried for the year so we can waive him again next summer and see if anyone is interested in him once he has had a chance to show that he still has game.

Good Job Tambo!

Sending him to the Bears was a great move. We will not be hearing a word about Souray until the off-season…AMEN!

11. Mr.Majestyk says:

LateNightOilFan: It’s a friggen joke, sorry. The objective of a GM is to make his team better – to ice the best team possible. The players have already said they could use Souray in the lineup. This is pure stubborness and scorned ego talking on the part of Lowebellini – not a proper business decision. Now they are paying Souray full salary to play for another NHL team’s farm team. You know if they had just sat down together with their player and talked things over, none of this would have happened.

I’ll have to respectfully agree to disagree. My entire viewpoint is based on the fact that the man can still play at this level. Celebrating an NHL asset being paid to play in the AHL for another team is celebrating bad asset management to me.

Tambi held out for a trade after waiving him twice, and was on record as saying he didn’t want a bad contract in return. All of that is pretty contradictory. Teams passed over him on waivers because he is overpaid, not because he no longer has skill – it’s been a big game of GM chicken as a result because everyone’s been waiting for him to go on re-entry.

From a business POV, the smartest thing the Oilers could have done (other than trying to reconcile with Souray) was to trade for a bad contract, then buy out that contract. Witt from NYI would be a good example. If they had done that it would have been cheaper in the long run and Souray would already be gone. After all, they acquired Souray for “free” via free agency so why try to hold onto him for some kind of positive return and send mixed messages by waiving him at the same time?

I don’t care to get into an OMB type debate about this so that’ll be it from me on it.

Mr.Majestyk: I agree with you LNOF. At some point things get to where there is irreparable damage. At some point it must have come to that, but in Tambi’s interview he states that the player has expressed wanting to be moved for a year and a half. From that perspective he had ample time to work out a trade for Souray when he was still held in high regard. Like when everyone wanted to put the C on him. We could have gotten something in return for him, and this whole fiasco wouldn’t have happened.Oil In Blood, maybe tone down the hostility a bit. This isn’t the Oilers Message Board remember?

Thanks Mr. M, nice to know I’m not alone in my view!

LateNightOilFan: I’ll have to respectfully agree to disagree.My entire viewpoint is based on the fact that the man can still play at this level.Celebrating an NHL asset being paid to play in the AHL for another team is celebrating bad asset management to me.Tambi held out for a trade after waiving him twice, and was on record as saying he didn’t want a bad contract in return.All of that is pretty contradictory.Teams passed over him on waivers because he is overpaid, not because he no longer has skill – it’s been a big game of GM chicken as a result because everyone’s been waiting for him to go on re-entry.From a business POV, the smartest thing the Oilers could have done was to trade for a bad contract, then buy out that contract.Witt from NYI would be a good example.If they had done that it would have been cheaper in the long run and Souray would already be gone.After all, they acquired Souray for “free” via free agency so why try to hold onto him for some kind of positive return and send mixed messages by waiving him at the same time?

I’m not sure if the OMB type debate was directed at me, since I made a comment that was a bit out of hand (the go eff yourself comment, directed at players that try to force their way out of contracts with us), but I’m not the type that would ignore what you have to say, so I can’t see this turning into an OMB debate in any way with anyone really (trust me, things won’t get to that level here). I’m not too worried about people being a bit hostile towards players, although personally I don’t like to do that… more worried about people being hostile to each other here, which will never happen.

Anyways, on topic…

I’m not celebrating that he’s in the AHL and that it got to that point, but I see it as a bit of “out of sight, out of mind” thing. My ultimate preference would have been for him to be traded somewhere, for just about anything. My next preference would have been for him to be claimed on waivers. Neither of those things seemed to be happening, so I’m happy that he has been buried in the minors, away from our players. I’m not too sure what trades were offered him, but a trade such as Redden for Souray I would never take.. there are some bad contracts I would be OK with.

The reality is that while he CAN play, he is an “asset” with negative value. So that means we know we’re taking something bad back in return, or giving up something good to move him. Really, buying out a bad contract (i.e. trading Souray for a bad contract that we buy out), while maybe the more politically correct thing to do, still affects this team negatively in that we take on a cap hit with the buyout, whereas with Souray in the minors we don’t have the cap hit.

Bottom line for me is that if Katz is cool with paying Souray $9M in the minors (2 years) to make him disappear, I’m cool with that. Unless we somehow fleeced a GM for a useable player / picks / etc., I can’t see this as being any worse an idea than trading for a player to buy him out. Instead we help stack another team, and end up eating some cap/salary.

Anyways, don’t worry about debating here. It’s one thing to get heated towards the organization / players, and another to get heated towards each other. I didn’t see anyone’s post as being hostile to anyone else here, so if I just missed it, let me know.

So according to Dan Tencer, Souray will arrive in Hershey tomorrow, practice Friday, and is going to play in the opener.

Also, good line from Gene Principe, apparently, calling what happened to Souray “the Hershey Kiss-Off”. lol

I actually respectfully disagree with this.

17. Mr.Majestyk says:

gr8one: I actually respectfully disagree with this.I think this is one of the better decisions management has made in awhile. For too long we’ve had players going public and making the organization look bad. Chasing Heatley, and other free agent players, overpaying and looking desperate.I think it’s about time the franchise stood up and said this is a proud organization, and it’s an honour to put that jersey over your head and be an Edmonton Oiler, so if you want to go public and say you don’t want to be an Oiler, fine, but if nobody else wants you either, we don’t want someone who doesn’t want to be here, and we aren’t going to take you back, even if you might help us on the ice.It also sends a good message going forward to other players that might have the inclination to disparage the orgaination to think twice about it, because it just might not work out so well for them.A+ to Tambellini for not giving away a good asset like Cogs to get rid of him, and A+ for Tambi for not taking a bad contract back to get rid of him.A+ overall for the whole Souray debacle. Don’t forget people it was Souray that caused the mess, not Tambellini, and it’s my belief that he did the best he could with the crappy hand he was dealt.

F to Tambellini for not trading him a year and a half ago when he had trade value.

We’re good Racki. The OMB type debate comment was basically a preventative measure and wasn’t directed at you. I know you wouldn’t let things get out of hand here.

Some are celebrating this decision though, and I think it’s a bit of a mob mentality to do so. This is a player who was a pretty important investment and was once greatly respected and admired by the fans here. Mistakes have been made by both sides. He should not have spoken out like he did, but he did so after trying to deal with it privately and out of frustration from not being respected by the organization.

He has said all along he would honour his contract even if a trade could not be made and is proving that by reporting as directed. He was very specific in what was bothering him and he had previously notified management about it, unlike Pronger who surprised the club and wouldn’t disclose his reasons, who was not about to honour his contract and was essentially treated better by the organization as a result.

I agree with pride and honour and all, but Souray isn’t the first player to comment about lack of communication from management. Even Pat Quinn insinuated his new role hadn’t been communicated to him. Players have been left in the cold, and we’ve lost some as a result, while management has been pursuing big names. I’m pretty sure somewhere Tambi acknowledged that Souray had spoken to him about the trade request a year before he went public so I can’t put it all on Souray for causing the mess. Mistakes have been made by both sides here.

Mr.Majestyk:

I recall last year this topic coming up on various forums… there was pretty big backlash at the suggestion that we should trade Souray while he was doing so well here. The city was ready to hand him over the key to the city and most everyone wanted him captain…. that plays a part in all of this. Tambellini wouldn’t have been very popular if he traded him then unless the return was huge. Even as good as he was playing, it always goes back to the contract and who can afford it too. No GMs these days are looking for honest deals anymore.. it’s all about them getting a deal.

Also I want to bring up that a lot of fans bring up the Pronger trade and how horrible it was.. tracking that trade as we trade away players involved in it. There is really no happy medium here. I feel a bit sorry for GMs here because it’s very damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

“Lowebellini” have learned from previous criticisms, yet fans will still criticize even when they seem to learn and do what the fans complained they didn’t do before. Examples of this would be how Comrie was handled (“we shouldn’t have been so bullying to him and gotten something for him as quick as we could!”), then how Pronger was handled (“we should have been more patient and made him sit out and got as much value in a deal as we could have!”) and then how Souray was handled… (a mix of “get rid of him now!”, “let him sit it out!” and also apparently “we should have traded him while his value was high”). Then another example would be Ryan Smyth and Shawn Horcoff. Ryan Smyth is for sure a higher end player than Horcoff (although Horcoff is a more rounded player). But I think Lowe heard the criticisms around not giving Ryan Smyth what he wanted, and assumed the fans would support giving Horcoff that similar figure that we held out with Ryan Smyth over. Anyways… fan reaction there was consistent with what we saw in the Pronger / Comrie / Souray dealings… the criticism is good for one guy, but not the next. I do understand that these scenarios are different, I’m just saying that there is a lot of similarity, and our GMs have shown that they try and make up for previous mistakes… although I think we can say that sometimes they overcompensate a bit ;)

Anyways, really it’s a lose-lose for a GM here unless things are going perfectly right.

Fans are always going to moan about something even if it contradicts fan reaction before.

LateNightOilFan: We’re good Racki.The OMB type debate comment was basically a preventative measure and wasn’t directed at you.I know you wouldn’t let things get out of hand here.Some are celebrating this decision though, and I think it’s a bit of a mob mentality to do so.This is a player who was a pretty important investment and was once greatly respected and admired by the fans here.Mistakes have been made by both sides.He should not have spoken out like he did, but he did so after trying to deal with it privately and out of frustration from not being respected by the organization.He has said all along he would honour his contract even if a trade could not be made and is proving that by reporting as directed.He was very specific in what was bothering him and he had previously notified management about it, unlike Pronger who surprised the club and wouldn’t disclose his reasons, who was not about to honour his contract and was essentially treated better by the organization as a result.

All in all, there are a couple of things that bother me in all of this fiasco. 1) it’s people ripping on our management all the time.. sometime’s its deserved.. in this case, I don’t think it is (See reasons above). This is a completely lose-lose scenario unless some GM is willing to have a lobotomy for us to trade him, or in the case of last year, the fans had a lobotomy and forgot how attached we were when they decided to trade him. 2) It’s fans ripping on former players here and forgetting how we once thought this guy was captain material, and now suddenly treat the guy like he’s a dirtbag and talk complete shit about the guy.

Really there is a bit of both going on, even just on this site alone.. I can’t imagine what it’s like on a place like the OMB where chaos runs rampant.

LateNightOilFan:
    I agree with pride and honour and all, but Souray isn’t the first player to comment about lack of communication from management.Even Pat Quinn insinuated his new role hadn’t been communicated to him.Players have been left in the cold, and we’ve lost some as a result, while management has been pursuing big names.I’m pretty sure somewhere Tambi acknowledged that Souray had spoken to him about the trade request a year before he went public so I can’t put it all on Souray for causing the mess.Mistakes have been made by both sides here.

For sure there are communication problems in the organization… that’s something they need to address. Some fans reacted harshly with Souray’s comments saying he shouldn’t have gone public… personally I felt it was the right thing to do, even though it got this ugly. Things don’t change unless you create waves, unfortunately. They probably still won’t change though, unfortunately. Anyways, Rob Daum said it before, as did others… Tambellini must be a busy man, as it seems that there isn’t enough time to fill people in on simple things like “you might want to keep your options open”.

p.s., you guys are all so respectful. LOL

22. hemmerlady says:

I think you make a good point. When Souray isn’t whining or hurt, he plays an important role.

I can see why mgmt wouldn’t want him in the Oil dressing room though, or any of the farms. I think they made the best business decision they could. It’s expensive almost every way you look at it.

BTW Trogdor, we haven’t officially ‘met’, but I have to say “Burninating the Countryside.” :)

23. oilinblood says:

I dont see what was out of line in my post. can someone please bold what should have been censored? Mr MAjestic? can you bold it please so i can refrain from using harsh language, racial slurs, sexual context etc?

As for the topic of debate. Its not a perfect scenario but it is already known that Tambi had consulted with the Oilers leadership group and had to come to a conclusion. Conclusion – Souray was asked not to come to camp, at the cost of the assets value. Done.

No one is talking about souray. He doesnt exist. The guys in the locker room apparently didnt want him back to even skate with them. Smiles all around now.

You fail to mention that when Souray made his press conference about being a good pro aand reporting to camp… it was long after Tambi had already communicated to Sheldon and his agent that he was not welcomed. By CBA rights, Sheldon actually had a right to report to camp… but then Souray would have looked even worse and even less chance of him ever playing again.

In another part you (LNOF) talked about trading him for a bad contract and then buyying the contract out. 1st of all if he goes west you have to play him and are giving your opponents a valuable asset and ridding them of one of their issues. How does that help us? Demoting Souray to Hershey just made everything dissapear without bringing in more garbage or helping an enemy team. Sourays salary is going to be wasted? kind of but we spend to cap all the time so who cares? Hey Darryl we always spend to cap … this year even with Souray in the A we will make even more profit. Sales arent going down, no income is going down and even with souray we have lower expenses. WIN! second, buy outs ended before free agency – which is when souray became tradeable. third last year Souray was choosing teams hed be willing to move his no movement clause for (even though he did ask for a trade).
    If i am incorrect about the basis of your 3 ideas please correct me. All 3 ideas are moot. Souray had selected a few teams to go to. Buy outs were before JUly 1st which was when SOurays NMC expired (and thus also first day he was able to be waived). third why help another team have a 20g defenseman AND take their trash?

Last but not least. You talk about asset managemnt. Indeed. We have about 40 assets more valuable and important than him. He is not improving, hes not a team player, hes a quitter and no one sat in front of tambi and said we want him back. When a GM asks the players and the GM says it was a concensus no and to move on without Souray… i think that says it all. Mind you this is a guy i saw take 6 slap shots in a row in a game where i am pretty sure he was trying to hit our own guys.

Did my arguements point for point make sense?

OIB: That is a good point about the buyouts, always forget that there is a period for that. Even better point about Souray having a short list of teams to accept a trade to. That’s probably the key right there. That played a big part in Tambi’s not dealing him right away. As Souray got more desperate and opened up the options, teams got less interested in him, due to him suffering another injury early in the season.

Like I said, I just don’t see these things (where players force their way out of an organization) as anything but a bad, negative situation.

25. mrgod2u says:

Sorry but I have to chime in on the “Not trading him when his value was higher” point. By that logic we should unload any player that is doing well because they might be a bad season coming up or a career ending injury on the horizon. Souray had value when he was scoring goals 2 years ago. Last year his value evaporated as soon as he went into the boards head first (assisted as it was). Was the management supposed to anticipate that? Because, as I recall, we were not unhappy with our team at that point of the year, we were actually looking at a 8-10th place team. Not the crap-show that we had even by Christmas.

Hindsight is always 20-20.

I actually did hear the quotes about the players saying they wanted Souray here too. For some reason I thought Gagner also spoke up about it too.

That all could have been lip service though. But I actually do think he was liked here by most people. He was outspoken, and led by example and stood up for his teammates. So I have no issues with his character, myself.

I just am personally saying that there is no easy way to deal with this all. It’s done now, and I think it was handled well enough. Daryl Katz gave the thumbs up to pay Souray $4.5M (x2 years) to hide him in the minors… what should I care? Yes, we did lose an asset without getting anything for him… but did anyone really think we would get much for him? He cleared waivers…. twice….. The only thing we would be getting in return for him is someone else’s headache. We know the guy has value, but GMs now make trades that are bargains for them. They won’t do a straight up talent-for-talent swap very often.

As far as the thought he was trying to injure teammates last year, that’s honestly just plain crazy. lol

Also, I don’t think we should ever pretend to think that we know all about what goes on behind closed doors. We don’t know how hard Tambellini tried to make a trade… we don’t know if he offered anything up to Souray… we don’t know how Souray handled things from his end.

28. mrgod2u says:

according to Sportsnet, Souray has indicated he will report to Hershey

Yah, Tencer mentioned that yesterday saying he was flying in today, would practice tomorrow, and then play their home opener.

18% raise for playing in the AHL… I would think he’d be happy, as long as it doesn’t impact his family life too much.

30. Trogdor says:

He might get bumped into a new tax bracket and have to dial back his rockstar lifestyle.

31. oilinblood says:

LateNightOilFan: OIB – I’m going by actual player quotes that I read stating, when they had been skating with him before camp, that they could use him (Penner) and that the only distraction would be from the media (Horcoff) not from Souray. If I missed some quotes from players stating ‘we don’t want Sheldon here’ then you’ll have to point me in the right direction.There is a second buyout period in August for clubs who have salary arbitration cases. JD, Brule & JFJ filed for arbitration (doesn’t matter if it didn’t get to arbitration). So the Oilers could have made a trade, paid less money to buy out another player and be in the exact same situation without hanging on to Souray.The NMC Souray had to July 1 was to protect him. If he wanted out that badly a year ago all Tambi had to do was work out a trade and ask Souray to approve the location. At the trade deadline 6 spots were made public, but that’s not to say Souray would have excluded other locations should a trade have been worked out at his request prior to that.As far as trading him and having to play against him, well trading him this off-season and getting something in return was #1 priority of Tambi so I don’t understand why it is now a good thing that didn’t happen. I don’t understand your cap comment when the Oilers have $13m in cap space. Even without Souray’s cap they aren’t spending to the cap.My reference to an “OMB” type debate was to your first post where you truly seemed overjoyed about the decision. Now you’re tossing in that Souray was trying to injure his teammates last year. You say he sucks but you’re afraid to give the ‘enemy’ a 20goal scorer. As Racki said it is lose-lose, it is a negative situation and there is no reason to celebrate.

Really? *slants head* Really?
    And if i may just ask… please read and comprehend my posts before slandering my quotes.

Ok ill put what i wrote previously into quicker typing./
    HEre we go
    “I havent heard any of them even mention his name since pre-season started. I know some of them played pollitically correct about him when there was a chance they might have to let him into camp but from all the sources ive heard the players are happy to not have his complianing.”
    ahem. see where i state the politically correct statements prior to camp opening ? Than Tambi had a vet meeting and guess what? NO souray/. As for sources i said my sources… as in friends in journalism that i took RTA at nait (1 1/2 years of hilarity before going into my real studies–OOOOOOKKKSSSS*shot* chug*headstand chug* burp* ) with, about 7 who are routinely talking to Tambi as a daily ritual, that tipped me off on what MC’s “mono” issue really was and that Smid wasnt the only one who smiled as an answer to TSN when they asked “how do you feel about SOuray not being allowed to camp”. HArd to quote a smile.

Arbitration. I think you need to read buy out period in the CBA concerning Sourays contract. its straightforward and not worth my time. Google is your friend.

Yeah Horcs and Hemmer came out and dissed another professional publicly. Wait, but they arent souray, so no they stayed within the guidelines of professionalism. That meeting with Hemmer Horc Penner GAgs Gilbert Smid and even Whitney was “unanimous” Tambis words…the decision… Souray not welcome

Souray had a list of teams? was it long? who knows. I can intelligently assume 1 thing. since he kept his mouth shut i imagine he likely had a slim list to start with. After the NHL witnessed him continuously injure himself his stock went way down and i imagine Souray made more teams available (id think 10 tops). THis for a 5.5 Cap player with 2 years left beyond that season and was injured all year, not exactly the best player on a 30th place team. I bet we could have got gretzky for him…oh why oh why didnt we. damn you tambi for not getting Crosby for the guy who has missed most of 3 seasons. Remember that by deadline teams have swollen caps and really are only looking for rentals. The NHL doesnt change just for Souray. Rentals or nothing at the deadline. A non rental at 5.5 cap? For 2 more seasons? and hes missed 2 of last 3 to injury? LMAO. IM sure some very smart HArvard grad GM would have seen the intelligence in that…. as a pure FARCE of hilarity/.

You say Souray is professional. I say look at timeline.
    Nice to bury the hatchet AFTER you have been strictly asked not to report to camp or the team will find an alternate address.

I stand by my statements. My statement was that no one had talked about Souray SINCE the veteran meetings with Tambi and Tambis subsequent letter to Sourays agent saying not to report to camp. In response to said letter Souray called a press conference and said he is mature enough to report to camp and bury hatchet. KAtz said ill eat his salary for the two years. Tambi laughing at Sourays PR antics takes his message of Souray not being welcome to the media as well. Tambi adds that Souray and his agent were given written communication of thios before but due to their PR shenanigans feels they may have missed the clear tone in the faxes.

I stand by all my points.
    I wont go into it any more than simple math. We have a problem. An enemy has a problem. We dump our problem to the trash and its fixed. Or we trade our problem for another problem and help another team rid themselves of their problem. Hmmm. I choose to trash my problem and let the others eat their own too.

Asset management. 1 loser asset or 40 winner assets? who to worry about?

Check the CBA buyouts for signed players is before FA.

Indeed i never said there was a cap issue with the oilers. I said who gives a crap. why would we eat half of anything for another team to use the asset. we will pay full everything and maybe sell merchandise. Plus next summer we can revisit the issue having only spent the EXACT amount we would have spent for 2 years had he been claimed on re-entrys. If he wants to not rot 2 years down there he better play REAL REAL well this year.
    And no i dont think for one second Tambi will be paying any more attention to Souray. Its done for the season. Souray isnt of interest any more.

How does this cost us money?
    This is Katz
    “hmmm i would have spent about 70Million this year. Instead my revenues are going up, jerseys up, new arena coming, bobble heads up, tv money up, merch merch merch and merch up. And I wont be spending 70 Million like i had planned? hmmm only 55? crazy… i can get a new indoor rink for the guest house where the kids have their parties. Id hate to have the rink on the 5th basement floor used too much…after all the ice maker is an entire 3 years old and getting rusty. Souray who?”
    BTW I heard all the oilers Eberle and Hall jerseys are out selling Bozak jerseys in TO where he is 4th in jersey sales for leaf players. Take that nation wide, NOrth America wide. The oilers Retro was already a top seller on a League wide basis.
    Lets agree to disagree because i find all your points invalid and nonsense. Its ok to ignore my future writings.

There is no venom in these statements. Nothing personal. read thru a few times. Couldnt find personal remarks. even edits i made had none. I ask that if you read my posts… read them fully. Thank you and god bless.

i fail to see the personal attack in here.

This is where ill step in here. Disagreeing is one thing. Insulting someone is another and not welcome here. So if there are disagreements in opinion, do it civilly. I should have to even say it. Disagree without the venom. Simple as that

33. oilinblood says:

no personal attack but alas yes some mild sarcasm.
    If this is about my statement of request for read and comprehend i stand by it. Its a pass fail analysis , one that can be qualified under assessment. I considered it a mature and unhostile request.

Also Im kind of surprised of you coming out Rack. PLease feel free to point out what i say wrong and i will keep it in my brain. And dont point out the fact that i capitalize the first two letters of most sentences. I have guitar fingers that sway over keys and its …its like a disability man!:) I give everyone the full respect i have of being able to do all and know all. Please give me manners training if thats whats needed because i am dumbfounded in a thread where Racki said curses on a public forum, that i be scolded.?

If itmakes you feel any better i thought Joaquine Gage was a good goalie.
    But seriously. No hostility intended to LNOF. I think maybe my typing comes off as having more tone than i have. Because really im doing multiple things and typing is rarely my main worry. Infact its likely not necessary to read most of my posts LNOF. Thats not personal its just to say my opinions arent everyones cup of team and although i already commented twice to all your points, after you made your interesting statememts in response to my cheering, I will beg you not to respond to it but just take it as my points reiterated and not a new dialogue. :)

I dont consider this harsh. If someone does please bold the harsh and offensive language. Apparently i have been talking this way for 24 years and no one but Oilers fans on the internet point it out as unordinary.

My nickname from this day forth will be … Puzzled look Oilinblood. My wife says i had a very puzzled look on my face and wondered what was up. So from now on im puzzle face Oilinblood … or curse words if you want to get interesting. I dont care. its all good. Its not like it hurts. :) MEh.

Aside from the comment you mentioned.. I can’t bold the comment that I found out of line, because you edited it out. Simply put… swear all you want.. disagree all you want… but don’t get to the point where you’re putting down anyone’s posts because the person has a differing opinion – “Adult’s only need apply” (and no that wasn’t the comment that was offensive.. but it applies here).

I try to keep this a fun place. There are other sites that get pretty out of hand with the interaction between posters. The one thing people have always commented about coming here is that they don’t feel like there is the same level of bickering between posters that you commonly see elsewhere. It’s OK elsewhere, but here we prefer to respect other posters, whether the opinions are different or not.

Except Steve-O and I. He of course is a dumb shit, and I will continue to remind him of that from time to time :P

I’m not easily insulted by anyone at all, and I doubt you are either OIB, but remember not everyone is like that, and the internet is a tough place to get the right tone / context across.. so choose those words carefully ;) Anyways, enjoy the site.. have fun.

If you want to continue this discussion, feel free to do so by e-mail.

Btw, I will say that while I don’t necessarily like to do it myself (except with heavy sarcasm), but criticizing players/management/coaching/etc. isn’t a heinous crime here. It’s going to happen pretty much everywhere. Just be respectful of your fellow posters, and that’s all that matters.

35. oilinblood says:

May i post this here? You can erase anyways. I know you requested email but this is not a message for you alone. I want to make it clear the comments are still up there and that no personal attack was made but rather an intelligent analysis in which i feel the original message with points was not understood so… why bother reading more of my posts. I edit alot as i type – as you likely witness in the realm of 3-4 a post- and cant see responses until i hit the reload button. The one edit i remember doing, that removed statements, was edited to make them clearer and more concise. THis was before i hit reload to see that you had responded. Then i simply moved the statement and placed it in the new box under your statement as i still wanted clarification, and added more to the thoughts to explain them in greater detail. Wanted to make sure you hadnt read a previous edit and would then miss what i had just typed in explanation.

Was the statement the one about perhaps he/she should ignore my posts? I dont think it is unfair or rude to suggest that. perhaps not only do we disagree but if also the reply to my post doesnt really comprehend what i had clearly stated in a few cases than i dont see the purpose of continuing to talk. And i simply voiced that –without “venom”. And i feel a need to point out there is no tone here other than feeling like im the kid playing detective investigating vandalism at the school park with friends as my side kicks (i was 8)… finding a can of spray paint and being busted for vandalism when a teacher sees it in my hand.

I apologize for taking up space in the thread for this but it seemed simple to me. I said some stuff…the reply was to restate stuff that actually went along with what i said but was used in argument… thus i restate, quote myself -no better person to quote i guess but a little rediculous-, and ask just not to bother anymore. Sarcasm i thought could have been read as slightly hostile i guess… but wasnt intended that way. No hostility, just dont see the point if my stated position is not understood clearly to continue discussion beyond my clarification and requoting of myself.
    gnight.
    4-0

I guess im just mr misunderstood. Maybe ill go listen to the cure and write poetry in the dark.

Seriously im buddhist (oh maybe it was the buddhist remark. i removed it because it made no sense i felt) i rarely ever get angry/upset/ north of 60/bent out of shape.

Well I’m too lazy to read what went on previous to this post Oilinblood, I usually scan/skip through them, but I can say this… In all my time here at the FOIL this is the first time its happened. What the heck happened? :P Can’t we all just play nice?

My preference would be just to let this die…

The original post has been edited a few times, and I personally am not really worried about it.

This isn’t directed at anyone specifically when I say this again: disagree with each other all you want… bash the organization and players if you must (although use tact when doing so)… but each other are off limits.

Too much may have been read into some of the posts… or maybe not. At this point it’s a bit moot to me, as all that is important is that everyone follow the bold statement above as a general rule of thumb around here (except in the case of me insulting Steve-O and vice/versa… and that’s just because he listens to Emo :P).

No more needs to be said whether it be defending one’s comments or pointing out flaws in anothers.