Tick tock on Souray…

By , October 5, 2010 10:22 am
What to do with this guy..

What to do with this guy..

Sheldon Souray still sits on our roster, taking up a spot, as we all know. Teams must submit their 23-man opening game rosters prior to the season starting, which is October 7th (i.e. Thursday… 2 days from now). This might force Tambellini’s hand.

Bob McKenzie already described the Oilers’ options in a fine article, so I won’t re-spew that, but I’ll summarize and re-update the options.

For starters, Souray has already cleared waivers… so it would stand to reason that regular waivers are no longer an option. So that leaves just a few possibilities here:

– Send him to the Oklahoma Barons (AHL) for at least the start of the season.
– Send him to the Stockton Thunder (ECHL) for at least the start of the season.
– Loan him to another team’s AHL club, as was done with Nylander by the Capitals.
– Assign him somewhere, then recall him, exposing him to recall waivers, where he would almost undoubtedly get claimed. The Oilers would pay 50% of his salary and have 50% of his cap hit for the remainder of his contract (2 years).
– Leave him on the roster until a trade is possible, forcing the team to assign someone to the AHL, at least temporarily.

I personally think the Oilers are going to go the recall waivers route, because I can’t see any team being desperate enough to trade for him anytime soon. Do we want to risk another player on waivers, or demote one of the rookies in order to get 50 cents on the dollar for Souray?

That said, what are your guys’ thoughts? What SHOULD the Oilers do?

What SHOULD the Oilers do with Souray if a trade can't be made by the season's start?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

87 Responses to “Tick tock on Souray…”

Send him to another AHL team for the entire year.

2. gerry w says:

After what Souray said about the organization I would send him to Stockton! They aren’t really going to get full value for him anyway. Then I would buy him out at the end of this season, end of story. Somebody just might be desperate enough to make a deal during this year if he plays well & stays healthy in the ECHL!

3. YDNAR says:

I would like for the Oil to send Souray to the AHL but like Steve-O said to another team if possible and to one that OKC doesn’t play against much, cause I know if I was in his place I would want to destroy any player that is associated with the Oil. Maybe he is more mature then I am but I would hold a grudge.

4. Trogdor says:

Is loaning him to a European league an option? Keep him sharp playing in a men’s league so scouts can watch how he does? No conflict with any Oiler affiliated teams that way either.

So Tambo stated today that if Souray isn’t moved by tomorrow, he will be assigned to the minors.

gerry w: After what Souray said about the organization I would send him to Stockton!They aren’t really going to get full value for him anyway.Then I would buy him out at the end of this season, end of story.Somebody just might be desperate enough to make a deal during this year if he plays well & stays healthy in the ECHL!

Hey Gerry.. welcome to the Foil, first of all. And apologies, but somehow your message got trapped by the spam filter here for some crazy reason.

Anyways, I would bury him, but I don’t know about buying him out… that would be another $1.5M on the cap for the 2012-13 which is an ugly season for re-signings (Penner, Hemsky, Gagner, Brule, Foster, to name a few). So I would think that if he’s still here, next year they should try trading/waiving again and if it still doesn’t work.. back to Stockton, my good man! :P

Well, he did say he wanted to be in California!

lol

Anyways, he suggests Souray + Cogliano for Sarich + Glencross … thoughts?

Thoughts?

9. MetalOil says:

I am seeing Twats right now of Souray to Calgary Rumblings from Spector. He mentions Souray and Cogs for Glen X and Sarich. Tencer echo’s statement??????? This can’t be for real can it?????

10. DropIt says:

I sure as shit hope not.

But they also have picks + prospects going to Calgary as well…..

OMARK!!!

sincerely though, I dont see how the salary balances out. Would Calgary be claiming him off of re-entry for half salary? if so, then i guess it could make some sense as EDM would take on the salary we need them too.

But the thing is that Calgary was looking to get rid of Sarich so that Brodie can stay up and play with the big club. Souray seems like a lateral move to be honest

Im on the fence on that one. How is Sarich?

Calgary wouldn’t get him off re-entry waivers…

Sure his value is low, but not $2.7M low.

But good to hear it from a Calgary fan’s perspective.

The funny thing in all of this is no one treats Cogliano as anything special in these deals…

That alone should make you pitch a tent in your Ronald McDonald pants.

13. MetalOil says:

Racki: Spector twatting about Souray to Calgary. I am assuming that this is his own suggestion. But Sutter and Tambellini were talking at the last game, so there could be something there.Anyways, he suggests Souray + Cogliano for Sarich + Glencross … thoughts?I gotta say, getting those two back would be nice… however, trading Souray to Calgary could be a huge mistake.
    Anyways, Tencer talking about it now too and he says he mentioned Sarich last week.Thoughts?Trading to Calgary a disaster?? Or is our team at a state where competing against Calgary isn’t a concern??

This does not make much sense to me. Calgary needs to shed salary and this deal would add $1.6M to the Flames Cap. Plus how would Souray and Iggy co-exist. I do not think they get along all that well. This whole scenario seems far fetched to me.

14. DropIt says:

And Racki, unfortunately i have to disagree with you. I think Souray’s value IS 2.7 low and think it will happen that way eventiually. His demand to be traded
    Edmonton’s clear want to just ship him out of town
    The fact that, if he does sit on the sidelines all year, his stock cant rise in the trade market as he isnt showcasing any talenthis and is just losing his skating legs and falling out of shape

Moved all talk over here, since it was posted in two diff spots and it’s a pain in the ass to move to General Discussion (plus its just as relevant here anyways, if not more).

Anywho….

Sarich would answer our needs for a physical D-man… although yes, doesn’t make much sense from Calgary’s perspective due to salary.

As far as issue between Iggy and Souray… I’m sure we would have all thought there would be issues between Big Mac and Vandermeer too. Teammates will smooth things over. I think Souray was choked, but I think he also can figure out that while Iggy’s poke at his skates was stupid, it wasn’t intentional. I’m not sure how long the guy holds a grudge and if he’s all pissed about fighting and breaking his hand on his dome too. lol

16. DropIt says:

Bostonoiler: Im on the fence on that one. How is Sarich?

He actually gets a bad rap because he is overpaid. But in truth, he is a very solid dman that was among the Flames’ best at stepping his game up to another level when it was needed. A Playoff STUD and would bring stanley cup winning experience into your young group of players

DropIt: I like Cogliano, I have said I thought he was the best of the first set of “golden three”But we are going to take on 3 M in salary so we can have Cogliano sitting on our 3rd line all year? Its the same situation he has in Edmonton right now, he just might get better and more established linemates in Calgary.As such, Cogliano is not the kind of player you put your team in a salary bind to aquire.
    Edmonton’s clear want to just ship him out of town
    The fact that, if he does sit on the sidelines all year, his stock cant rise in the trade market as he isnt showcasing any talenthisand is just losing his skating legs and falling out of shape

18. DropIt says:

I thnk both players are aged enough and have their sights on being on a winning team. I dont know about Souray, but Iggy would more than likely welcome a player like Souray (one that helps the team skill wise) with open arms.

Not to mention, Im sure by now Souray has seen the tape and realises that the entire thing was an accident as Souray stepped on Iginla’s stick blade, which was in the area of his skates

DropIt: Im sure by now Souray has seen the tape and realises that the entire thing was an accident as Souray stepped on Iginla’s stick blade, which was in the area of his skates

… because Iginla placed it there… lol

21. DropIt says:

Racki: Yah, I just don’t think many teams would pass on him at $2.7M.. can’t see that happening. Say what you want about him, but he brings a lot to the table.

I agree, I dont think any competing team with cap room passes on him at 2.7 because he does bring alot to the table if he is healthy.

But i think everyone passes on him at 5.4, because he is a risk at that point, and cant be added to any competing team. No young team is going to want to take on Souray’s contract and want to pay him to play where he doesnt care to anymore.

DropIt:

Oh for sure people pass on him at $5.4. I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I was saying he’s a bargain at $2.7M (i.e. worth more). But definitely not worth $5.4M, no.

My point was just that Calgary wouldn’t stand a chance at getting him on re-entry waivers because $2.7M for what he brings is a helluva deal.

Straight from Darren Dreger’s twat…

@dantencer. Sarich is low on depth chart, but I’m told the Flames have had no discussions with the Oil about Souray or Cogliano.

24. DropIt says:

yah. I agree with that, definately. I would love Calgary to take this chance if they could get him at 2.7

I think the only way this kind of deal works, is if Calgary sends Kotalik or Staios back in the deal.

sounds like, on Sportsnet anyways, it would be

To CGY:

Souray
    Cogs
    pick(s)

To EDM

Sarich
    Glencross
    salary back

25. DropIt says:

sounds like a no-go

Mark Spector just told the fan he made the whole trade up in theory

^ Best i can do

26. MetalOil says:

Racki: Straight from Darren Dreger’s twat…@dantencer. Sarich is low on depth chart, but I’m told the Flamers have had no discussions with the Oil about Souray or Cogliano.

Dan Tencer Twatted that he has heard different ?????

Racki: Article is up. If the Oilers do the trade and give up anything higher than a 3rd (and even that is bad), I will be fucking pissed.http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2010/10/05/oilers_souray/

So Souray + Cogs and a pick for Sarich and Glenncross. Cogs should be enough IMHO, but a 3rd would be okay.

I feel dirty.

28. YDNAR says:

Darned spector I really don’t like that scum bag and yes o do mean Mark he is such a shabby reporter I really hope that Sportsnet cuts him and let’s him sink in his own garbage reporting

29. DropIt says:

well, you have to take into account that Cogliano would be coming back as almost a favour for the Flames taking the entirety of Souray’s contract.

I think this could be a fair deal, however there would be another player in that deal going to Edmonton or the salary doesnt even out

I don’t think he claimed that the story was legit or anything. When I heard him say it, I thought he was just speculating it.. then Tencer made it sound like it was a valid rumor based on what he heard/said before.

Spector is from Sportsnet? It really has is a shame, most if not all the guys on their panel, I automatically tune them out. The TSN panel/analysts seem far out of the sportsnet league. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy Sportsnet but rumours/analysis from them is almost Eck’ed in my opinion.

As for the Souray trade, I’d love to see Glencross back but I just don’t see that happening. To me it sounds like we are going to either have to pick up an albatross (and get a pick depending on the contract) in exchange for Souray or trade to a lower cap team and pretty much get jack squat. Prove me wrong though ST.

And Racki, I’ll email you the Z-Foil/Vintage-Foil tonight sometime. I have 2 exams/practicum/project/girlfriends bday prep this week so I haven’t been able to work on it at all. It’s pretty much complete for the most part, I’d still like to fix up a few things but it is presentable.

32. John says:

If the Flames got Souray as part of a trade then I guess I could handle it but if they get him on re-entry waivers then I’ll fucking puke! Could you imagine Souray getting paid $2.7mil by the Oilers to score on …the Oilers 6 times a year??? I’d rather see him get $5.4 mil to get 50 or 60 pts for Oklahoma than that.

Thanks Zack, but let’s just do it when it’s “done”. No rush at all.

Watching Sportsnet season preview right now….Loubardias sounds like Gilbert Goddfried. FFFFFf is he annoying.

Also, I’m switching to Shaw for everything. Telus and Bell, you’re fired.

I’d do the trade after thinking about it.

Glencross on the 3rd line would be a welcome sight again, and would shut some people up on the OMB. Sarich could play 3rd pairing minutes with Vandermeer, and be a tough group. That means we would make a second trade, moving Peckham somewhere however. I think Glencross would be a big help to the roster. I honestly could care less if Souray ends up in Calgary or not. I also heard the Rangers are looking at him…Slats is dumb enough…

36. hemmerlady says:

zackman35: Spector is from Sportsnet? It really has is a shame, most if not all the guys on their panel, I automatically tune them out. The TSN panel/analysts seem far out of the sportsnet league.

Yeah agree with that. Princi-pun drives me mental. TSN’s better, other than McGuire of course.

I don’t want to let a good pick go to get rid of Souray. I also don’t want him taking up a roster spot when we have a lot of eager young fellas up-and-coming. As far as Cogs being involved in a potential Souray trade, I like Cogs, but I don’t think he’s going to be the centre we need, nor does he seem to want to be.

Too bad the Flamer rumour seems to be just that – I had a glimmer of hope that Sutter isn’t finished making dumbass trades yet this season.

37. Mr.Majestyk says:

I can’t believe how many Oiler fans would be willing to trade Souray and Cogs to the Flames! I would way rather have him claimed by a team like Columbus on re-entry than have Souray light us up for the next couple of seasons. I guess it makes sense since most people think Souray is done, but hell, if he bounces back we’d look like fools for making this trade. Not only that but adding Cogs to the deal just makes it worse. He’s still got his entire career infront of him, I’d rather not see it be with the Flames.

Yah Cogliano with the Flames would be horrible. Souray there.. I can live with that, since we’re not in a position where we really likely will have to worry so much about the Flames in the near future (by that I mean, we’re not likely a team that will be competing for a playoff spot.. although you never know). But having Cogliano there for god knows how long.. that would be worse than Glencross there by a mile. Although like DropIt said, he might struggle getting up their depth chart.

39. Mr.Majestyk says:

Its not just whether we’re competing for a playoff spot with them, its just the idea of giving up valuable assets to the Flames. I know Souray isn’t a hot comodity right now, but he definitely has some upside and so does Cogs. What we’d be getting back from the Flames we know what they bring to the table, there is no higher level those guys are going to suddenly blossom into. Either way, I don’t like it. If we really wanted a Sarich and a Glencross we could have signed similar players in the offseason but we didn’t.

Souray would end up having another 20g 50 point season and Cogs would finally be that player to find that chemistry with Iggy!!!!

NOOOOOOOO!!

41. Mr.Majestyk says:

precisely. This is the reason teams don’t make trades with their rivals. It can come back to haunt you. Who cares if Souray has a big year on some other club, I just don’t want to be helping the Flames.

Mr.Majestyk: Its not just whether we’re competing for a playoff spot with them, its just the idea of giving up valuable assets to the Flamers.I know Souray isn’t a hot comodity right now, but he definitely has some upside and so does Cogs.What we’d be getting back from the Flamers we know what they bring to the table, there is no higher level those guys are going to suddenly blossom into.Either way, I don’t like it.If we really wanted a Sarich and a Glencross we could have signed similar players in the offseason but we didn’t.

Gotcha… that I can agree with.

But trading Souray for Cogs, as you said, is a good way to help stack the Flames.

I definitely don’t think Souray’s career is done, or anything. Maybe his fighting career is, however… :P

43. hemmerlady says:

Mr.Majestyk: I can’t believe how many Oiler fans would be willing to trade Souray and Cogs to the Flamers! I would way rather have him claimed by a team like Columbus on re-entry than have Souray light us up for the next couple of seasons. I guess it makes sense since most people think Souray is done, but hell, if he bounces back we’d look like fools for making this trade. Not only that but adding Cogs to the deal just makes it worse. He’s still got his entire career infront of him, I’d rather not see it be with the Flamers.

Oh I don’t think we should do it. I wouldn’t like to see any more former Oil on that team, and there is a habit forming when we trade Oilers away and then they start to do well.

I was just pondering the potential upside of Sutter being stuck with another crappy deal and another crappy contract, and Souray’s attitiude to boot. It would be temporarily amusing is all.

Exactly Mr.M.

I say play the hell out of Cogliano, give him prime ice time and ample PP time, let him rack up some good numbers and trade him at the deadline to a contender for a good return, instead of as a throw in to facilitate a Souray trade.

Yeah, after thinking on this, I retract my comments that said I’d be okay with a trade with the flamers.

I’ll go say a dozen “Our Fathers” and purge myself of this sin.

Hemmer Lady: Oh, I actually like Gene Prinici-pun and Kevin Quinn and Louie DeBrusk!

I know its a little out of topic but a player I would still like to have back is Erik Cole… Anyways I wonder what the trading circle could look like this deadline/next deadline? I we going to get younger yet? (Hemsky/Penner departure?)

Sshhh… everytime you talk about Erik Cole, Racki dies inside a little bit…

I would take him back in a heartbeat under a new coach.

P.S., I also love Gene Principe.. he was corny at first, but he grows on you. Great guy. And having met Kevin Quinn and Louie Debrusk, I can say those guys are incredibly awesome. Very down to earth. I think we’re lucky to have had good commentators on our local broadcasts.

49. DropIt says:

zackman35: Yeah, fairly easy listening too, unlike that Calgary announcer. I honestly don’t know how they make it through the 30 sum games on sportsnet. Tell me how do you do it Dropit? (If you’re listening) And Racki, watching the practice video, I know I should be studying.., got me pretty anxious about the vintage colours appearing..

The same way you guys could listen to Phillips ;)

Loubardias isnt actually that bad of an announcer, and he knows his shit up and down. He is just a bit inexperienced.

He gets incredibly into the game and I think is pretty split in terms of how biased an announcer can be for their home squad (vancouver)

What annoys him with all fans (calgary included) is his voice. It’s annoying until you get used to it. But what it is, and this is my own theory…

His voice gets on your nerves when your losing or when your pissed off. When your winning, you dont notice it quite so much, but when your losing and/or pissed off at your respective team you will find yourself telling Pete to go **** himself at least every 5 minutes

50. DropIt says:

Racki: Gotcha… that I can agree with.Trading with Calgary really should be punishable by death. If Tambellini didn’t fleece Sutter in the first-ever trade, I would be calling for his head. But trading Souray for Cogs, as you said, is a good way to help stack the Flamers. I definitely don’t think Souray’s career is done, or anything. Maybe his fighting career is, however…

Edmonton won, yes.

I wouldnt say fleeced though. Staios’ contract obviously isnt something to be happy with, but at the time the Flames were having dressing room problems and they went out and got, IMO the biggest voice on the Coilers’ team. When the Coil were a competing team, it was Staios that seemed to be the guy telling the other players to get their ass in gear and was breaking sticks at practise. I love that aspect of him.

Once he gets a bit more comfortable in the Calgary setting, I think he will bring this aspect to the blue line along with Regehr.