Final training camp roster cuts…

By , October 4, 2010 9:59 am

Liam Reddox and Ryan O’Marra are the first names cut so far. Stay tuned for more….

Edit: Cuts are: Shawn Belle, Richard Petiot, Ben Ondrus, Liam Reddox, Alex Giroux and Ryan O’Marra. No word on Omark yet. All these guys have to clear waivers too.

Edit 2: Linus Omark and Chris Vande Velde are also cut. They don’t have to clear waivers and have been assigned to OKC. Omark none too happy about it…

This leaves our final roster at (assuming JFJ is on the IR and Souray is gone before season start):

FORWARDS (14)

6 Ryan Whitney 6′ 3″ 210 27

GOALTENDERS (3)

# Name Height Weight Age
38 Jeff Deslauriers 6′ 4″ 201 26
40 Devan Dubnyk 6′ 6″ 202 24
35 Nikolai Khabibulin 6′ 1″ 206 37

* – likely will be on injured reserve at the start of the season

58 Responses to “Final training camp roster cuts…”

Am i the only one seeing this all buggered up?

No, it was buggered up.. I had some people show up to work on something in my house and didn’t have time to fix. lol

I expected Omark to be cut… haven’t heard anything on him yet.

4. Trogdor says:

Petiot? I guess we know who is getting a roster spot.

Yup, as expected, they hung on to Strudwick. Glad they at least kept Peckham. I was starting to like Belle and I already thought Petiot was great.

Worried about Gingerballs being picked up on waivers, but that would be good for him.

All these players have to clear waivers too.

I’m choked that Strudwick still has a roster spot.

My guess is that the next two cuts are Vande Velde and Omark. (Although you still have O’Marra in the list)

Oops, removed him. My count now show 16.. I wonder if I removed someone else accidentally, because I’m not sure that is right. I’ll double check against last week’s cuts.

Edit: ahh, I missed O’Marra in the second statement above. So yes, down to 16 forwards.

2 cuts left, with JFJ looking to be starting on injured reserve when the season starts. I would think Vande Velde and Omark are the cuts too, and the Oilers have their hand forced when JFJ returns to do something with the 3-headed goalie monster.

On twitter it was just mentioned that Omark and Vande Velde got assigned.

Fucking brutal that Strudwick gets a roster spot.

I’m not happy about 3 goalies again.

12. Trogdor says:

So does this mean we’re rolling with 3 goaltenders for now? Perhaps one of them gets assigned when JFJ returns after some more evaluation time.

That being said, I look forward to seeing how OKC does with those players…I really hope they all make it through waivers.

14. Haboiler says:

I’d say they are keeping the 3 goalies until just before the rosters are set and then send one down, thus reducing the chance of them being taken on waivers, just my opinion. Also they must be waiting for Souray to get traded in case they need to take a body back so they leave a roster spot open.

I wonder if JDD’s play last night stalled figuring out the 3-headed monster… because seriously, going with 3 goalies is just stupid.

Omark and Vande Velde have also been cut.. this is the opening roster.

Omark is pissed.. according to Principe’s twitter (Tencer said similar thing):

Omark not happy about minors. Is Oil best org. for him? No comment. Difference Europe and NHL? Politics. Did he get the best chance? No response.

17. Haboiler says:

MAybe its Omark that gets packaged with Souray now…

What was Omark’s play like? I honestly didn’t see enough of the pre-season to judge. Wouldn’t he be one of the first call-ups in the event of injury? Maybe he should just step back and take time to consider that. There should always be a 24 hour cooling off period after cuts IMO, media should just leave them be.

Maybe.

I do in a way feel bad for Omark. I hate hearing guys talk badly about the organization, and well, he probably isn’t lambasting them, but he is right that it was a political thing. Paajarvi / Hall / Eberle are a big story here and Omark isn’t, which is disappointing for him.

I thought he was pretty good and played hard, although I still question whether he is a team player or the Linus Omark show.

Might be a good idea to move him though if he’s showing signs of being upset at the team.

20. Ktown says:

I think Omark got stuck in the numbers game, and there really isn’t a great spot for him with the players we have. I honestly don’t think he makes the team until/if Cogliano gets moved. I’m not on the “Run Cogs outta town” bandwagon, but that writing has been on the wall for quite awhile. Unfortunately for Linus, that’s his spot, and until then, he goes to OKC.

I really don’t think it will hurt him getting a few games down there, and I expect him to be better when he gets back to the big club later this year (my guess). But, like Racki mentions – I’m curious is he’s a team guy or a “me” guy. He strikes me (through some of his media quotes – which isn’t necessarily a great venue) as a guy who’s read a lot of his own hype. My guess is even if he comes up this year, he’s the first guy to skip town when a better offer comes along…

As for the rest of the cuts, I’m a little surprised to see both Petiot and Belle on their way down. I was hoping at least one of them would stick around due to their play at camp, but I’m guessing this was a decision that was made long before camp started…

21. Haboiler says:

Gregor pointed out a few times that his ankle was bothering him but he played ok I think. Did he get a fair shake? No I dont think he did. But to be as pissed as he was publicly, I am not so sure. If he was smart, he would have come over last year and he would have made this team already.

Its not like he is a veteran of the league. Take your lumps kid, be a pro and you will be one of the first call ups. Be a pro.

Yeah, on one hand, I do find Omark’s attitude a little troublesome, but on the other hand, I kinda like the attitude too.

He did not get a fair shake, so it’s kinda OK to be pissed off, but the part I like about it is his confidence in his own abilities, and he sort seems to have a bit of a swagger about him. I think we could use more of that around the Oilers.

Tom Renney had no problem with anything he said, which is good enough for me.

I listened to the Omark interview and you could really tell in his tone he was pretty disappointed, but there really isn’t a lot there that sounded too troublesome, I guess.. now that I’ve heard it first hand. He did say “I’m going to go to Oklahoma and do my best there and hopefully come back”.

24. Haboiler says:

I agree Racki, I will back down a bit after hearing it first hand. The one thing I didn’t like from him was the no comments when asked if this is the right organization for him.

Yeah, way overblown….

here’s a video link.

Haboiler: I agree Racki, I will back down a bit after hearing it first hand.The one thing I didn’t like from him was the no comments when asked if this is the right organization for him.

Yah that part is a bit concerning. But the guy’s at a low point right now… not a fun time to be answering questions, so you never know, I guess.

Three goalies=you don’t have one that you really love.

28. Holdy says:

The reporters were putting Omark on the spot with their questions too. Sounded to me like they wanted to hear him spew vitriol.

Holdy: The reporters were putting Omark on the spot with their questions too.Sounded to me like they wanted to hear him spew vitriol.

Welcome to the Foil, Holdy… and yes… that’s the one thing with the media.. they typically know how to ask the “right” questions. So I’m not too sure we have to worry. I typically just forget about this stuff though until it becomes a big problem. Not a big deal just yet.

Here we go, no better way to understand the context than to get it from one of the media there… Robin Brownlee does a good job of it in his latest article on ON.

31. otto says:

I’m not surprised about the three-headed goalie monster. I figured when they said they were leading in one direction that it was just bull-shit.

As for the rest of the cuts, I hope guys like Gags, Cogs, and Strudwick really step their asses up this season because there were guys who got cut that looked a lot better then them in training camp.

Reddox over Jones= poor call. Bye Bye liam!

Do we really have to think that another team wants one of our AHL goalies who still have not really proven they can be a stable NHL backup? All that for a 30th place team.

I think this is not really an issue. Goal seems set around the league already.

Oh, Flamers signed Brendan Morrison. Good signing considering the injuries down the middle there.

Hey guys, I don’t think Tambellini has had enough time to evaluate the goalies. Lets give him another year so he can make an informed decision.

chucker: Do we really have to think that another team wants one of our AHL goalies who still have not really proven they can be a stable NHL backup?All that for a 30th place team.I think this is not really an issue.Goal seems set around the league already.

I’m guessing they just don’t know who to keep up here. Really, I’ve said it before.. neither of our backups are particularly good, imho, and don’t really show enough sign to think they ever will be anything other than marginal. I thought they should have signed someone else. There is some hope down the line with Roy though, but he’s still years away.

Steve-O: Hey guys, I don’t think Tambellini has had enough time to evaluate the goalies.Lets give him another year so he can make an informed decision.

I can only assume you’re being sarcastic.. so lol

38. Mr.Majestyk says:

3 headed goalie monster is a joke. I listened to Tambi’s interview with Tencer the other day and it sounded like they knew where they were leaning. Certainly Chabot has told Tambi who he thinks should get the nod. Maybe its one of those things where Tambi didn’t like what Chabot told him so he overruled him.

Lots of good tidbits from Tencer’s twitter tonight from interview with Renney:

Renney on the blueline decision: says Petiot needs “more pop in his game” and Belle “needs to be a better athlete”.

On Reddox, Renney says he’s got a huge heart and is intelligent, but struggles sometimes to finish or stay on the check.

Renney at the end of his answer on Reddox: “We can’t shoot with a BB gun when we require bullets.”

Renney on 3 goalies: “Is it ideal for me? No. Is it ideal for the organization? Absolutely. I trust Steve (Tambellini) and his judgment.”

The comments about the goalie situation are interesting.. obviously not his decision…

The Reddox one is also an interesting comment… the crappy thing for him is you just can’t teach size, and this team is small. Simple as that.

Pissed about having 3 goalies, I’m just about done with JDD. Jones brings size that Reddox doesn’t, and thats the only reason he is still in Edmonton. I knew Peckham would make the team, I hope he has a good year. Petiot should be the #6 guy tho. Strudwick….dont get me started

I think the gap between JDD and Dubnyk is small though. Neither are exceptional goaltenders at all. Only thing is there is a 2-year age gap between them… so there is more promise for the younger Dubnyk.

42. John says:

I am still undecided between JDD/Dubnyk & appearantly Tambi isn’t much smarter than me lol. JDD was awesome on Sunday in fact I would go so far as to say that if Khabi had played, the Flames would have won that one 3-0. I understand why Petiot didn’t make the team but I really liked his game through pre-season. He made some great up ice breakout passes, cut off some good PP clearing attempts by the opponents, & just made some real nice quick decisions with the puck. Hopefully Peckham can make the most of his opportunity now.

43. neufab says:

I think the roster that they’ve gone with is the ‘safe & predictable’ route. Good for the organization, good for the media, and hopefully good for the team, “as they progress”. Should be an entertaining year.

I can see this team keep 3 goaltenders until Khabi’s case/ appeals are resolved.

@Racki; This is exactly my point. We have two guys who are marginal NHL goalies in limited backup roles, who have not proven anything to anyone that they are worth a roster spot on waivers. Just send down DD and get it over with. At least JDD knows the NHL ropes and has had a great camp (so has DD, but who cares at this point? Not me.)

I se NOBODY picking either goalie up. Send one down and free up a valuable roster spot already.

45. dawgtoy says:

Hmmm, just have to hope that the coach has made the right decisions based on camp, but also from what he saw with some players last year etc…
    Not really sold on Jones though, Reddox looked like he had more “compete level” in him.
    Omark will be an early call-up if he goes down to OKC with the right attitude and plays hard, then if and when a spot comes available in the top six.
    The rest was predictable, well except for the keepers. That will work itself out shortly I would think. Maybe coach wants to see a little bit more before making his final decision?

46. dawgtoy says:

chucker: @Racki; This is exactly my point.We have two guys who are marginal NHL goalies in limited backup roles, who have not proven anything to anyone that they are worth a roster spot on waivers.Just send down DD and get it over with.At least JDD knows the NHL ropes and has had a great camp (so has DD, but who cares at this point?Not me.)I se NOBODY picking either goalie up.Send one down and free up a valuable roster spot already.

Yeah, that works for me. Can’t argue with that logic really. Just make a decision, shit and then get the off the pot…right?

Renney’s interview leaves you believing that he wants several players in the lineup to have a physical presence. Thus Peckham over Belle/Petiot, and Jones over Reddox.

The Oilers could really use Jacques back for that reason, but aside from him it would be nice to have some guys that play a high-tempo, crash and bang game like your Clutterbuck types. They don’t even need to be able to fight, by his description, necessarily. Just want guys that can punish the other team.. I like that.

I thought initially that Renney called all the shots on the roster, but for sure he didn’t choose to go with 3 goaltenders. That’s on Tambellini. But if his decision to go with Jones and such is based on physical presence, I’m fine with that.

I, like everyone, don’t get the Strudwick fascination, but that’s something that us fans can’t really see first hand.

48. Mr.Majestyk says:

I loved what Renney had to say about ‘pushing teams out of games’. Its kind of like the conversation we had the other day about Big Mac and how the Oilers need to have less respect for our opponents. Even if we lose games, I hope all teams know they are in for a battle when they play us. No more getting pushed out of games.

49. John says:

Strudwick must be very vocal in the dressing room & helps the young guys a lot because his on ice play certainly isn’t enough to justify him taking a roster spot.

50. NorwegianOiler says:

I like Renney’s ability to address vital areas of our game, but it remains to see if he can ice a team that accounts for the issues when it counts.

The first period against the Flames last game, in particular, highlighted the problem of being pushed out of a game. The less skilled Flames players made crisp passes, always seemed to have a player open and forced us to make bad plays all over the ice. Even the ‘big’ guys were making intimidated plays, which has to be addressed if we are to go anywhere. We were swimming more than skating at times there. To me, MacIntyre type players is not the solution, though types like Jones, Jacques, Brule or Stortini might help. I hope they remember the tenacity shown during the first games under Quinn last season, in which almost all players showed the required amount of ‘pugnacity’ (to use a Burkeism :P)

I am thrilled that we open the season in two days, but can’t say I am optimistic in regard to the result…