Monday Morning Standings

By , October 19, 2010 10:20 am

Should the Oilers look at having ice girls?

Topic of the day for the NHL right now seems to be hits to the head. I think there have been 2 fines and 2 suspensions, one being a doozy to Doan. One suspension has been rescinded as it was determined to not be a dirty hit after the fact. I for one am glad that the NHL is cracking down on this, although with the Gilbert fine it seems like they need to update their fine structure.

With the Oilers, seems as though the issue at hand right now is faceoff ability, but to a lesser extent is the inability to the third line to get anything going and how Cogliano affects that.

According to Ryan Rishaug, the Oilers may be trying out different line combos. Looks like Hall and Eberle were on different lines during today’s practice.

In OKC Barons news, looks as though they are currently sitting in 8th in their conference, and Moran leads the team with 6 points (3g, 3a). Oddly enough, Giroux and Omark lead the team with 16 pim’s each.

In general NHL news, Hossa is leading the goals and points stats, with Richards leading in the assists and plus/minus stats.

As per usual, its early but will get more interesting as the season goes along.

CONFERENCE STANDINGS

6 3
Buffalo
6 3
Ottawa
6 3

POTF Pools

Here is a quick update on the pools.

Foiled Again

Team Haboiler is currently #1, with Johnny O’Dangles and Rampage coming in #2 and #3 respectively. Trogdor sits at #6, I’m at #11 and Racki is at #12.

Foiled Again Too

YDNAR is currently #1, with dawgtoy at #2 and Racki at #3. I’m at #6.

42 Responses to “Monday Morning Standings”

1. DropIt says:

Its tuesday

Yeah…don’t you remember from last year?

Steve-O getting the MMS out on a Tuesday is actually about 3 days early. lol

I definitely propose that Steve-O should be solely responsible for providing all photographic content on this website.

A+.

I can’t take credit for that photo, that was a submission by Zackman35.

Sweet pic. Boston and I had an epic battle last week. At one point he was up 8-1 on me and then I scratched back to 6-4 and ended up 6-5-2, with Boston being 5-6-2.

This week is an odd week. Who the heck makes the schedule? There’s almost no games until Thursday and then it seems everyone is playing. That happened last week too. Some days I don’t even have a guy on the ice, then others I have too many. That’s expected for Saturdays, but the schedule is really eratic.

Chucker:

Yeah, this week is particularly bad for that, but it really isn’t that much of an anomaly, I don’t know why, but there is always more games scheduled on Thursdays and Saturdays, just never noticed it until I started playing fantasy hockey a couple years ago.

Good Job Zackman!

So I guess my “Ignore fantasy team, see what happens” strategy isn’t working?

7. Trogdor says:

I’d suggest giving the strategy another week just to make sure, but I’m not playing you this week so I will encourage you to manage your team!

Its not doing any worse than my “micro-manage the roster every night” approach

DropIt: Its tuesday

Hi, and welcome to POTF :P

The only thing you can rely on with Steve-O’s monday morning standings (aka MMS) is that they won’t actually occur on Monday.

Btw, here are today’s practice lines:

Paajarvi Horcoff Hemsky (somewhat love it..)
    Penner Gagner Eberle (fuckkkinnng love it)
    Hall Cogliano Brule (absolutely hate it.. but you never know)
    Rest of the guys

Racki: Btw, here are today’s practice lines:Paajarvi Horcoff Hemsky (somewhat love it..)
    Penner Gagner Eberle (fuckkkinnng love it)
    Hall Cogliano Brule (absolutely hate it.. but you never know)
    Rest of the guys

I like the P/H/H line the most. Horcoff and Hemsky have been the two best forwards so far (Penner too I guess) so they should be on fire, and the only thing Paajarvi needs to do is keep up.

13. dawgtoy says:

I would like the new twist on the lines if Cogs and Brule were switched. Love Horc on the top line! I’ve said that from the start of the season. Gagner moves to the second line, he might see less of the oppositions top D pairings, still retains Penner for consistency. As it sits, I have nothing positive to say in regards to the third line. Hope Hall can take his demotion with a grain of salt, which I think he will. Renney has stated the kids will be interchanged throughout the long NHL season. Cogs can’t win a face-off and doesn’t look like an NHL center. Brule should center the line, but will continue to spin his wheels on the wing as long as Cogs looks to “find” himself. So my grade will be a B- if that’s in fact what we see for lines on Thursday. I like lines 1,2 and 4. Trade Cogs for a proper third line center who actually could win a draw and my grade would be A+. Just my 2 cents folks.

14. hemmerlady says:

gr8one: I’m gonna punch somebody in the face if they keep using Cogs at center and wasting Brule’s face off skills on the wing.

I can’t say I’ll punch someone, but I will certainly pout if they keep Cogs there. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned etc.

Why don’t they put Hall at Centre? After all the controversy about his supposedly not being a “natural” Centre, which was corrected by his Spitfires coach, I thought it was settled that he was completely capable and successful at it? Correct me if I’m wrong. (I wasn’t on the Foil during that debate but I remember it being The Topic That Just Wouldn’t Die on the OMB, like Horc-hate, Horcontract, and other nauseatingly boring topics).

(BTW re: the photo: men are so easily amused…lol)

I thought you guys, and maybe some gals, would like that pic… :D There are a few more where that came from. And thank you Hemmerlady for putting up with us. :razz:

And on the Hall at center debate, it’s tough to say. When was the last time he played center? I’m sure he could manage it eventually, he’d probably have to work on his positioning a little bit. Hell, if he can become near 50% in the FO dot I don’t see why not. Playing in the show however is a completely different game than what it would be like in juniors though.

16. YDNAR says:

Wow rough start for me this week against HabOilerx2 10-0 in foiled too and all my players that are playing tonite are playing each other and my goalie left the game and his GAA is now at 9.45. Gonna be a tough week I think

17. YDNAR says:

I was going to also add that I think I would rather Brule at center on the 3rd line rather then Cogs or even Hall. I think they should look internally first before they give up on Cogs as I am not sure its a real good idea to have the rookies or any of our more offensive players on the PK all year. I have always been of the mindset that if you come back with a scoring line after a PK is better then a checking line.

18. Mr.Majestyk says:

I put the blender setting on high and came up with:

Hall-Horcoff-Hemsky
    Paajarvi-Gagner-Eberle
    Penner-Brule-Jones
    Cogliano-Fraser-Stortini

Direct. I like it. I also agree on Brule being wasted to give Cogs the chance to become what Brule already is.

we are wasting hall with that bum cogliano

Racki: That’s a little extreme, B.O. He’s not a bum. Just not being used right, in my opinion.

I keep finding myself yelling at him every game. Hall needds better linemates. Love the top 2 lines tho.

23. Mr.Majestyk says:

Hall was playing with Horc and Eberle…not good enough linemates?

I’d also like to see PP units of Hall/Penner/Hemsky/Whitney/Foster and Paajarvi/Gagner/Eberle/Brule/Gilbert

Maybe being on the 3rd line will help Hall play against lesser defenders to get some confidence. Like I said I love the Paajarvi-Horcoff-Hemsky and Penner-Gagner-Eberle lines. I think Brule and Hall could get some good chemistry going too. I hope I eat crow on Cogliano, hes gotta pick it up.

25. Ktown says:

26. DropIt says:

Yet another perfectly good conversation about fantasy hockey ruined by someone bringing up the Oilers. :P

In more important news, I beat Steve-O and the Flames won. But the best news of today is that the Wild absolutely hammered the Canucks today and Luongo continues his attrocious record when playing in the state of Minnesota.

Also, Yankees lost. Haha

DropIt: Yet another perfectly good conversation about fantasy hockey ruined by someone bringing up the Oilers. In more important news, I beat Steve-O and the Flamers won. But the best news of today is that the Wild absolutely hammered the Canucks today and Luongo continues his attrocious record when playing in the state of Minnesota.Also, Yankees lost. Haha

Yup, and Rypien went nuts in the state of Minny. If they suspend Wizniewski 2 games for a lewd gesture, how much for assault on a fan?

28. DropIt says:

Yah, I saw it today. I think the punch in the face warrants a game in itself, but assulting a fan is about the worst thing that a player could do. I think he likely gets 5 games for that, but it wouldn’t be shocking to see him get 10.

Ktown: I don’t know – I thought Horcoff had some pretty good chemistry with both Ebs and Hall. I would have liked to have seen him stick with Ebs, but I don’t think these lines are all that bad.
    I’m pretty sure Paajarvi is going to light it up on that top line, I think Penner, Eberle, Gagner looks dangerous, and I like Hall and Brule together…Odd – but didn’t Penner, Brule and Paajarvi line up together in the preseason? I think Paajarvi was on the Right wing on that line? That was a pretty potent line if I remember correctly…

The game against Tampa when Paajarvi had his hat trick, the line was:

Paajarvi – Cogliano – Penner, actually.

DropIt: Beating Steve-O isn’t as hard as it sounds, but congrats. :P

30. Ktown says:

Racki:
    The game against Tampa when Paajarvi had his hat trick, the line was:Paajarvi – Cogliano – Penner, actually.

That would certainly solve the ‘age-old’ question (or at least 4 games old) of whether or not Cogliano can be productive… I would still expect that line to be fairly potent against NHLers…

But I guess that leaves some big question marks with the top 2 lines?

DropIt: In more important news, I beat Steve-O

It takes me a couple weeks for my team to get warmed up.

Racki: In honesty, I think Penner is the straw that stirs the drink on most lines he’s on. He is good at opening ice for the smaller players. It really is no coincidence that he generally has chemistry with anyone he plays with.

And by that you mean any line that Hemsky isn’t on…because when he’s on the ice he’s the one making magic happen.

Steve-O:

Obviously excluding Hemsky’s line… although I think he helps in that regard too… but for sure Hemsky is the best player on that line.

Racki: « Sep

Yeah, while Hemsky just skates around guys and makes them chase him, usually taking two defenders away, Penner lugs it around the corners and behind the net by force taking two guys to cover him. Different styles but they both get open ice for their linemates and then themselves after they dish it off. If only we had a Milan Lucic this team would be set. Hall will develop into a guy who muscles his way around. I like what I’ve seen from the kid.

36. Ktown says:

I agree, Chucker. Hall isn’t too physical yet, but you can see, he plays with grit. It looks to me like he’s still warming up to being in the NHL.

The one thing I’ve wondered, and feel free to pipe up if you think different, but I’ve noticed that Hall is pretty humble and soft-spoken for a guy that went 1st overall. I just get the feeling that he’s not taking anything for granted, and in so doing is feeling his way into what he can and can’t do out there against the NHLers. Each game it seems he gets more and more confident with some of the things he does (as he realizes more and more that yes – he belongs).

I think as we get past the first 20 games with this kid, he’s going to know a lot more of what he can and can’t get away with, and then there’s going to be a lot more magic.

Really, he’s the least of the Big 3 right now, but he’s also the only one of them that hasn’t played against men in some capacity or another. Ebs and MPS already had a sense of their strengths and weaknesses against the pros, but not Hall.

Lots of debate going on right now about whether the Oilers should keep him up or not.

38. hemmerlady says:

Racki: I think Hall has been fine so far. I expected it would be a slow start for him, although I hoped he would fly out of the gate. He has some obvious areas to work on that Renney, Horcoff and Steve-O have all pointed out (laugh). I think he’ll be OK.I also see a pretty gritty player in there too. Someone who can handle fighting for a puck, which isn’t something we can say about most of our other young stars, as they’re best suited to avoiding the contact and sneaking their way out of the fray. He doesn’t look to be a guy who is going to be a physical player though (so don’t expect him to initiate contact often), but he can take the punishment. It’s important to remember his 18 year old frame is far from filled out yet. I think he’ll be a pretty strong player in a few years, and that alone could go a long way.

hemmerlady:
    Gotta leave Hall in and give him the experience he needs. And continue to be patient with him. He’s just a baby. 18!! I have shoes older than that. Okay, maybe I don’t but I think that expression is funny.The way I see it – we have nothing to lose…it’s a rebuilding season anyway, and I think he contributes to plays rather than detracts from them. The only problem is everyone has such lofty (and unrealistic, at least immediately) expectations for him. He’ll never live up to them if everyone keeps expecting him to be Gretzky. It’s 4 games into the season and already people think he should be sent down?I have minor concerns that Hall’s size may become an issue – just in terms of safety, taking hits etc. But I agree with you Racki that he’s a gritty player and I think he can take it.

Well, there are some people that think he should be sent down because he’s not performing well (those are the people that I will call clueless ;) ). But the majority that argue to send him down that are “in the know” want him sent down because we can perserve a year of entry-level contract, and therefore extend the date at which he turns RFA, and also extend the date at which he turns UFA. Personally, I say keep him up here and give him the best shot at his development. Delay him a year, and chances are you also delay his jump to the next level a year too.

Send him down???? Ummmm no way. I think he is going to be just fine, I notice every game that Hall plays better and more confident. Paajarvi with Horcoff and Hemsky will be unreal, and Penner will make Eberle better. I hope Cogs finds chemistry with Hall. I know Brule will.

Also, Ottawa said they are looking to make a change and they like Cogs. I really wonder if something is going on here. I doubt it, buuut never say never.

It’s just going to take Hall some time to adjust, just like it did Tavares. He went through a tough time because he was trying to do too much and had no other rookies along for the ride with him. He started off ok, then went through a slump and then finished strong. Interviews with some of the vets like Roli and Weight indicated he was putting way too much pressure on himself and they just kept talking him through it until it finally clicked to just relax. Hall has lots of support, he’ll be fine. The team is patient with him, that’s all he needs to focus on. Hopefully he doesn’t pay attention to any of the media or fan negativity/questions.

42. oilinblood says:

First off… nice picture. She would look even better in a flames jersey. I shouldnt have to explain why flames and not oilers. Im sure you can figure it out.

Second… Hall is going to be fine. In my opinion he is playing really strongly and Horc provides the insulation for him to be able to experiment.

Third… I am one of the tiny few that liked Horc being honest to media about Halls long shifts. Horc said right off the bat that, before he got captaincy, that the rooks would be insulated and tutored and everyone was happy to help… but that their are expectations involved as well which arent negotiable. In the end, horc doesnt lie and when commenting on halls play he made a few points which were already brought up in the room and well documented in the media already. Simply put, he is, if nothing else, saying the expactations put on Hall are going to be as any other nhler. He didnt call him out like some people were accusing, he was simply answering a question on hall and rookies honestly – treating the players with the respect of being pros and adults.

fourth. The COG experiment at centre is a failure and most people saw this before it ever began on the ice. To move Brule off pivot, someone proven to win a good percentage of draws, was even more horrendous. If this was to increase possible trade value for Cogs it SEVERLY, and PREDICTABLY, FAILED. To add to the fall of his already worthless trade value…he has done NOTHING with ample opportunity and talent assisting in PP time given to him and SQUANDERED.
    ——–

I really like the idea of Penner with Ebs and Hemsky with Magnum but im not too thrilled with the centre uses. To be honest Penner and Ebs i think would work best with Brule… and Gags could try to work with Hemmer and Magnum while HOrc and Hall continue but bring size and strength with Jones.

So… excuse me Racki… sorry dude… Dump Cogs and bring up Reddox for a Reddox-Fraser-Stort/Mac 4th line.

Addition by subtraction.