MMS – Start of a new season

By , October 12, 2010 11:28 am
Bringing in the new year with a bang!

Bringing in the new year with a bang!

And we are back.

Another year has started and man did I miss hockey. Hopefully everyone had a good long weekend. Oilers have just offered a 3 game mini-pack that I decided to pick up (free jersey included!) so I am now more broke than I was an hour ago.

The Oil started the year off with a bang (one that Ivanans is still feeling) and it looks as though Eberle is going to be awesome this year. I’m thinking the first game was pure adrenaline however, as we already started to see the cool off the next game and looks as thought it might get to be a tough year…but man, for one game it was like the 80’s Oilers reborn. World beaters.

In other NHL news, James Wisniewski and Sean Avery made me laugh so very very hard with their awesome game within the game yesterday. Honestly I don’t think the Wis should be suspended cause it was funny as hell, but he will be, and then Avery with his gold comment after the game “They (the NHL) won’t do anything. Imagine if I did that? They’d send me to rehab.”.

And finally, I urge everyone to read Elliotte Friedman’s 30 thoughts as its awesome as usual, and if you missed it Black Dog has a breakdown of the ’72 series which is amazing.

Again, its really early, but as the season goes on this becomes more interesting. That said, enjoy the Oil at #1 and the flames out of the playoffs while it lasts.

CONFERENCE STANDINGS

3 1
Florida
2 0
Anaheim
3 0

POTF Pools

Here is a quick update on the pools.

Foiled Again

No standings as of yet.

Foiled Again Too

No standings as of yet.

50 Responses to “MMS – Start of a new season”

I think Horcoff, Hall and Eberle is going to be one hell of a line. I’ve been impressed with them so far.

It’s certainly enjoyable seeing the Oilers 1st in the west and 3rd overall!

Wiz reportedly gets 2 games for his ‘lewd’ gesture btw.

Although we can say it was worth it, Avery gets the last laugh for now. He was talking it up in the pre-game as well. I think a fine was all that was necessary, especially if you compare to suspensions for hits that cause injury, and if you look at all the trash talking that goes on. Unfortunately Wiz got caught on tape and he has a history (11 games over 3 instances since March 2008) so I think that came back to haunt him.

5. oilinblood says:

thanks for the link Rack.
    First i will talk about the Oilers. I disagree with any standings or win/loss record talk this early in any season. Teams are getting going and training camp/pre-season always seems to cost a few players time out of the lineup for tweaks suffered. At this point of the season all that should be valuable is observations gathered by an intelligent hockey mind – not wins and losses. My prediction has always been that players will eventually find a limbering program to go with all the muscle building programs they do during the summer. If yoga or even some dancing can allow a million dollar athlete the ability to have his body ready for the constant body range movement of competitive hockey after 3 months away from the rink… than eat the pride and put on the tutu… it might even add a year or two in a very financially rewarding career.
    Horcoff Hall and Eberle will be a great line but also a trial at times. I dont think Horcoff has ever been the best person for the 10 most immediate feet in front of the net. If his shot is as hot as it can be, the hash marks seem to be his optimum point of release – and he does have a great shot. Hemsky knows this fact, as a long time Horc line mate. The good thing about Horcs though is that he doesnt think goals and he will focus on body position more than anything…which means going to the net with the rush… which makes defenders respect his approach, makes goalies deal with traffic, and gives more legs and sticks for deflections.
    I think the line will evolve its game on their own and will likely eventually start using Horcs in the hashes after the innitial rush. The great thing about this line is that it has 3 guys who think the game really well. Horcoff might not have the most talent but like Penner, he tends to put himself in useful positions which is far better than a sniper who is completely useless if not open.
    The HHE line seems to be a good cycling line so i believe it will stay together for a long time. If Eberle and Hall werent as good on the wall id expect the Penner centre experiment to be put into high gear eventually.
    Right now i really like the top two lines but Renney obviously sees problems within the third line and needs to figure out if Magnum needs better partners than COGS and Brule. He certainly needs a centreman that can get the puck possession more…cause last time i checked Brule and Magnum arent here to play defense.
    – Cogs. ai ai ai

Now to the article.
    I like Elliot but first things first… he covers the East. I like to act like i know the league like the back of my hand but i have to rely on more 3rd party sources for the east than actual first hand knowledge from games. I am always at a disadvantage with the east because it is a secondary consideration for me. Infact i likely follow the AHL, juniors and SEL more than i do the Eastern conference of the NHL, because those leagues affect my Oilers more. I can admit that i try to never miss an episode of hotstove because they talk mostly East conference issues and it catches me up on at least one or two subjects. Elliot is a great source for the north east but really he doesnt have much to teach you for the south east. 80% of his knowledge is based on things that affect Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, and Boston. If it doesnt affect those teams he doesnt really need to know. He gets paid mainly to know the Leafs, keep it in mind.
    Elliot is talking about the Souray Tambi stance but it is no fault to him that he doesnt know all that much about the issue as a whole. Elliot is an East coast centre of the world reporter. Elliot comments on Edmonton trying to maintain attractiveness to free agents and that fighting with Souray can cost them that. Elliot obviously missed the repeated statements by Tambi that Edmonton no longer has any future interest in bidding for UFAs. The track record of UFAs is known … and its innefficient and often ineffective. For every Chara there are 30 failures. Edmonton, led by Tambi, feels they have 40 assets to worry about and attention will not be taken away from those valuable assets just so 1 lone player, who could have been attained for free TWICE, irrelevant player issue can be addressed. The problem is solved now as far as the Oil are concerned and if Tambi has an answer to that problem put before him without costing attention to the 40+ valuable assets…he may give it some thought. Otherwise Tambi has not just a team but an entire organizational talent pool to over see and an NHL team that needs some internal tinkering under a new head coach. Souray will not be dealt with until a good offer is laid at Tambis feet and tambi can spare the time to read it. My guarantee is that Tambi isnt doing the looking and is far more focussed on the actual team…as he should be. Tambis job isnt to play butler to Souray. Last time i checked, no one wanted the bum anyways and Sourays agent was given the green light to try to arrange his own deals and no one wanted him.
    Keep this in mind. New jersey had no interest in him even when an idea of us eating twice his cap hit came up…which would have put them cap compliant. LOL. That is how worthless he is. Redden Finger and more to join Souray in the AHL. I feel sorry for Redden and Finger though… both are simply not playing well enough to back up the cap hit they bring which restricts the teams from getting better. Remember all those jokers who thought Redden would be a good UFA signing? LMAO

After all the blind side hit hoopla. The disgusting blind side/boarding combo check to Pominville, who had to be carried off on a stretcher, from no-name Hjalmarsson gets a penalty of two games… which is the exact same penalty handed out to The Islanders’ James Wisniewski for his meer gesture on public tv to Avery. The brains at NHL head office. I tell you… the league is in such good hands. So what if a 7 year old sees it? as a parent use your brain and come up with an explanation. in the past 5 seconds i came up with 3 easy ones. id go with salt shaker. ” oh hes doing the salt shaker to him…it means hes a bitter man” done. Grow brains parents. Anyways, i doubt most kids were up or noticed the gesture. Its rather comical its an issue of conversation and even more of an issue that the penalty severity equals a blind side boarding check to head combo. Issues like this make me real mad. Now if James’ hand had been at waist level… a game would suffice… as it stands id have laughed and not suspended. As for the CHicago black hawk no name playeer… give him 15 games. Hard to believe the NHL spent 3 million on training DVD to discuss blind side hits and talk about stricter suspensions… then dish out a 2 game suspension on that attack from some hack on a key player. So precedence is set for 2 games for a blindside/board/shot to head causing stretcher exit of victim … on the same day precedence for televised hand gesture is made. Good job NHL!

Oh and for all the talk about the Islanders game vs the rangers the Ducks vs the Blues was better, but you wont hear much about it because its not in the east. Jackman getting flicked on the chin repeatedly had me laughing my friggin ass off. His expression was more priceless than Averys comical reaction to Wisser.

Happy thanks giving everyone, belated and all

Great start to the MMS Steve-O. And Oilinblood, out of curiosity, how old are you? Age range would even be sufficient.

Not sure how a young, up and coming, high-end shut down defenseman, that played an integral role on a Stanley cup winning team, and that made headlines as the only UFA to be offer-sheeted this past offseason would be described as “no name” and a “hack”, but whatever. But even if I he were an unknown “hack”, I also have no idea how whether he is an unknown commodity or a highly skilled superstar is being brought in to the conversation regarding what punishment he gets, as I’m certain that most would agree that is a factor that should have nothing to do with what kind of punishment happens.

8. oilinblood says:

I was born the day the Oilers hoisted their first cup–two years prior. I get the impression you want a bit of my background? A few things that you might be looking for is that I became a die hard fan in 94-95 when we sucked but were fun to watch. I wasnt exactly spoiled when i became a fan. i went to Nait and took TVbroadcasting to be a sports reporter but I found out i liked editing more and that my third eye from a background in photography carried over to the videocamera lens. After a few issues where i was stalked I was more swayed to the creative behind the camera scene. I worked for CBC a bit freelance while going to university in totally unrelated studies.

Alot of the people in the media circle today of sports in canada were in the social network of broadcasting when i was involved and i still talk to many of them. I get inside info every once in a while but as much as i kick myself i hardly ever talk about it… like MC’s “mono”.
    Hockey has become a bit of therapy for me but it is really useless if the OIL arent entertaining. My sanity kind of needs them to be good this year at atleast distracting me. After basically 3 years of crap i am hoping the oilers can provide me with breaks from my own reality.

9. oilinblood says:

gr8one: Not sure how a young, up and coming, high-end shut down defenseman, that played an integral role on a Stanley cup winning team, and that made headlines as the only UFA to be offer-sheeted this past offseason would be described as “no name” and a “hack”, but whatever. But even if I he were an unknown “hack”, I also have no idea how whether he is a not very good unknown commodity or a highly skilled superstar is being brought in to the conversation regarding what punishment, as I’m certain that most would agree that is a factor that should have nothing to do with what kind of punishment happens.As for Friedman, I’d actually have to say that of all of the prominent national sportscasters that focus on Hockey, he’s probably the one LEAST affected by the eastern influence you speak of, and as someone who travels out west and covers western games/teams as much as he does, and has the access to chat with the players/management that he does, I have no problem whatsoever with his analysis regarding western teams and find it to be always concise, accurate, fair and informative, and have never felt nor seen any sort of eastern bias in his reporting.

Usually players worth on the ice IS a factor in judgement. the body of league work for suspensions supports this to a great degree.

Elliot is a good journalist, he has no real bias. Bias is different than lack of first hand knowledge. If you ever meet Elliot ask him to talk about the west with you and what he thinks. The first thing out of his mouth is always, “well from what i have heard…”. The west is not what he gets paid to know. I never mentioned or alluded to a bias. Bias is different than specialized knowledge. If I want in-depth info on the North and Central East, ELliot and Dutch are my most trusted source.

Friedman is OK in my books. He does at least acknowledge the West :P He’s a good guy to follow on Twitter too.
    Btw, OIB, this was Steve-O’s post, not mine. The MMS is a recurring weekly post, thus the standings talk you thought was too early. It happens every week. There are also 3 bloggers that post here (Me, Steve-O, Trogdor). Well.. really, 1, since the other two jackasses don’t pull their own weight :P

11. oilinblood says:

Friedman is GREAT. You can rely on him for the goods in the East. I would say that in the west we need someone like Cuthbert, Friedman and Dutch. Unfortunately the majority of the really good sources of info are either not focussed purely on hockey or if they are they are geared to the bigger media market in the east (NOT bias just pure area of expertise) which makes sense in a networks profit margin.
    I should point out that, although they dont have a wide knowledge base..certainly arent conference experts even, I do trust in guys like Tencer and some of the Sportsnet color commentators. Its the only network in the world where i feel the color guys actually have more knowledge than the leads.
    I do find it irritating that alot of the great Sports reporters in hockey seemed to have started in the West. That could be a personal bias for my own circle but… Cuthbert, Dutch, Dregs, and quite a few others were taken from our area.
    Thanks for the heads up Rack… humble apologies to Steve-O/

Ask any media personality about what they think about any subject, and the first thing out of their mouth will be “from what I have heard”.

And if you don’t think that Friedman doesn’t get “specialized knowledge” when he’s hanging out in the bowels of Rexall, Rogers, Saddledome, etc, talking to all of the players, management, trainers, and the regional media than there is some delusional ignorance going on there.

Friedman is paid to report on whatever teams he happens to be covering, including the Oilers…is there more coverage of Toronto/Eastern teams, absolutely…does he maybe focus on those teams more, probably, but to think a person as connected as him doesn’t know the west because he’s “paid to cover the leafs” is verging on ludicrous IMHO.

Even if what you’re saying is true, and he doesn’t put any effort into collecting information on western teams because he’s not paid to do that, in a league like the NHL he’d still be privy to information just via the “grapevine”.

Not trying to pick on you bud, but what you’re saying just doesn’t make sense to me…including the part where you try to say that you didn’t say or “allude” to Friedman having an “Eastern bias”, and you’re right, you didn’t use the word “bias” but…well, all I can say to that is, for someone that practices law, you should be a good enough of a communicator to realize what you initially said actually does paint a picture of Friedman of having an Eastern bias, whether intended or not. But really, we’re just getting into semantics there.

Lastly, about your comment re: players worth on the ice being a factor in disciplinary measures, that is true, but what I said was I think we all would agree that it shouldn’t be, and if it was Ovechkin(whom btw was suspended twice last year for dirty hits) or Ruutu making adirty hit, the punishment should be the same regardless, so I wasn’t sure why you brought up the fact that he was a “no name hack” in the first place.

Anyways, I ‘m not getting in to a flame war, and don’t mean tlo be singling you out, maybe just chalk it up to me not being used to having people say things around here that make little sense to me is making me a little overly sensitive to it.

So, I’ll just leave it at that. :-)

13. MetalOil says:

These standings, put this down as my prediction as to how they will be come April 11th,2011 !!! ;) Just as long a Khabby can keep up this torrid pace and a few other things happen then ya this is it !!!

14. oilinblood says:

I dont really care if you were trying to pick on me or not. Its not like your opinion would matter to me. Elliot or Mr. “Wok with Wan” is fine and dandy covering the East. He isnt even reporting anything, you may have noticed, he is simply giving an opinion based on what he has heard. Ive already pointed out the intelligent position that one only has so much time in ones life and when your life and career are in the east and centred mainly on 4 teams which you need to know better than your own family… other teams take background noise. Its not something i should have to explain beyond that. It has nothing to do with bias. A criminal lawyer wont talk about DUI or Divorce or estate issues, because some of our minds are more focussed on trying to convey to a jury that a sledgehammer wasnt used by someone to just give a gentle nudge to the head…14 times. Im sorry i didnt point this out to you or get elementary about it in explanation but its purely common sense. My argument stands pat. Elliot feels we should be careful because of UFAs. We, with experience of being in the market and living the lessons and hearing Tambi repeat it over and over… that Katz and Tambi are going with the evidence and not going to ever dip into the UFA ranks again for quick fixes. When they go to UFA it will be an option to add support members who search out the Oilers…not the other way. Tambi doesnt care, and has clearly stated it, what players outside edmonton feel about the OIlers. He wants the OILERS to love the city and team. Everyonelse is not important. Katz was first to discuss that pampering UFA targets was a mistake and that the focus should never be on mercs. Focus on the ones wearing jerseys with pride and if others want to join than we will think about it. Right now there is a bright future without need to dip into UFA.

Its the last i will discuss this very straight forward assessment that digressed into a juvenile crap fest. The original post was quite clear and concise, needing no explanation.

What?

You’re making even less sense than you did before.

And you’re a lawyer? I hope you make better, more intelligent and articulate arguments for your clients than you do for yourself. I probably won’t make the mistake of engaging you any further as it is clearly redundant.

Dismissed. ;)

16. dawgtoy says:

17. oilinblood says:

MetalOil: These standings, put this down as my prediction as to how they will be come April 11th,2011 !!! Just as long a Khabby can keep up this torrid pace and a few other things happen then ya this is it !!!

I want Magnum to get away from Cogs. For the love of Magnums career he must be moved. The problem is really do they drop Penner down to play LW or even centre (couldnt be any worse at pivot than Cogs)? Penner got 32g and you put him on the third? Do you move Gags down and have him centre Brule and Cogs and have a tiny line – plus basically demote Gags after hardly a chance? Or do you jettison Cogs for whatever and move brule in the middle and maybe bring up a RW? lOTS OF QUESTIONS. Personally I like giving Gags the chance to succeed but maybe Magnum and Hemsky work better together than Penner and Hemmer. Maybe PenneR on the RW with Cogs and Brule is what makes this roster work best (BRULE centring).

i am dissapointed in fraser too since camp opened. Thank god the wingers, including hemsky have taken on PK duties and full games. Hemsky has increased my respect for him. He is twice the player i thought he was.

18. John says:

To Steve-O; God bless you for bringing back the eye candy :) That is all for now.

I think John needed a cigarette. lol :p

20. dawgtoy says:

oilinblood: I dont really care if you were trying to pick on me or not. Its not like your opinion would matter to me. Elliot or Mr. “Wok with Wan” is fine and dandy covering the East. He isnt even reporting anything, you may have noticed, he is simply giving an opinion based on what he has heard. Ive already pointed out the intelligent position that one only has so much time in ones life and when your life and career are in the east and centred mainly on 4 teams which you need to know better than your own family… other teams take background noise. Its not something i should have to explain beyond that. It has nothing to do with bias. A criminal lawyer wont talk about DUI or Divorce or estate issues, because some of our minds are more focussed on trying to convey to a jury that a sledgehammer wasnt used by someone to just give a gentle nudge to the head…14 times. Im sorry i didnt point this out to you or get elementary about it in explanation but its purely common sense. My argument stands pat. Elliot feels we should be careful because of UFAs. We, with experience of being in the market and living the lessons and hearing Tambi repeat it over and over… that Katz and Tambi are going with the evidence and not going to ever dip into the UFA ranks again for quick fixes. When they go to UFA it will be an option to add support members who search out the Oilers…not the other way. Tambi doesnt care, and has clearly stated it, what players outside edmonton feel about the OIlers. He wants the OILERS to love the city and team. Everyonelse is not important.Katz was first to discuss that pampering UFA targets was a mistake and that the focus should never be on mercs. Focus on the ones wearing jerseys with pride and if others want to join than we will think about it. Right now there is a bright future without need to dip into UFA.
    I think the first person everyone should realize is the restraints of their own knowledge. For more knowledge in one area you take away possible knowledge in another. There is a finite amount of time and brain power.As for the hack thing. Call it a bit of disbelief that the hit gets the same penalty as the gesture. Great camera angle during the game which was in one camera position a dead side shot showing how close to billing the blind side verdict, head shot, and boarding rules all come into play on a dirty play of dirty plays to start the year. 2 games? Why even bother.

That’s rude!

21. hemmerlady says:

I liked Friedman’s article. I don’t necessarily agree that it’s as simple an issue as Tambi “burying the hatchet”. I’m sure he has considered all his options, and made the best decision he could. If there really was a viable team interested in taking Souray off waivers, then I’m sure Tambi would have gotten it done by now if only to rid himself of the sorry ordeal.

Friedman is right – I laughed at Wisniewski too, but he can’t do that on national TV with impressionable youngsters watching. I also think Wis can hold himself to a higher standard than Avery. Shouldn’t be that hard…

Gr(eight)one – long ago (in a Galaxy Far, Far Away?) I developed a defense mechanism called “skimming” (or, if extreme, “skipping”) and deploy its countermeasures anytime I face a long, confusing, sometimes off-the-mark, sometimes insulting rant, I mean, post. :)

HL: hehe, yeah..I usually employ that technique, I’m just not used to having to do it here though!

23. oilinblood says:

dawgtoy: “Today i am a lawyer and i deal with the nastier people on this planet. At times hockey and family/friends are the only thing that help me keep my sanity. Criminal Law was likely a bad choice for someone as sensitive as myself but it does make me a very strong and focussed representive of the victims whose cases i take on. Fortunately i am given ample vacations between cases so that i can try to dilute the memorys of pictures, videos, and testimony… sometimes thru use of alcohol one must admit.”OIB, glad to see that you represent the victims. I unfortunately work amongst Lawyers all too frequently within Law Enforcement, but my venom tends to be directed towards those that defend the shit rats, rather then those that attempt to put them away. Though all of us that work amongst the “devils” feel exorbitant amounts of stress, I thank you for the work you do, even though you must often feel like the victims have less rights then their assailants. Stick with the Oil as therapy, booze only in moderation while attending therapeutic Oilers/Oil Kings games.As for the Oil, my two cents are as follows. I have not been impressed with Gagner on the top line nor Cogs centering the third. I still think that Horc needs to be given first line center duties again, though I do like him with Hall and Ebs. That would move Gagner with Hall and Ebs, then Brule to center Maggie and Cogs on the wing. It’s worth a shot, otherwise the only other way to fix this is through trade. Unless I’m just being way too impatient with Gagner??? I know it’s only game three, but they’re bound to try other combinations sooner or later right? Still can’t wait till Thursday nights game though…Go Oil!

I was going to call it a night but i have to respond to this statement. Its off topic so i will try to be shorter than my normal replys. The lawyers on the other side often are good people and the majority that i know normally have the 30 mentality which is that if they can fine tune their craft on the 30 that are guilty, they can be better prepared for the one that is truly innocent. The legal system needs proper representation on bothsides. Alot of the criminal lawyers that oppose me are normal good folks. The weak tend to drop back into less mentally and emotionally taxing duties like injury law and divorce law, but the strong always seem to talk about the “30” mindset. I guess like many other people in other jobs, we are brought up with a faith in our system… and we hope the blind hand of justice acts correctly. As much as I would like to disrespect those other lawyers, and demonize them (it would likely make me a tad better at my job if i had a hatred for them), their job is a role that is necessary in a system where someone is innocent until proven guilty. Now if i have to be honest about where i carry hostility… it is to the system itself which seems to focus on headlines for petty crime and not hold enough resolve and strength to really punish the truly disgusting filth of the world. Seriously when i compare sentences for some high level crimes where victims and familys have been forever deeply affected to some jerkoff court time waster of a misdemeanor… it boggles my mind. I can admit that the legal system is as swayed to publicity as a politician. Also dont get me started on prisoner conditions for murderers who are far better off than most of the mentally ill and all of the homeless in canada.
    Also id say that, being in law enforcement, you are also in an occupation heavily affected by the publicity system. Its been a widely held belief that beat copping helps proactively stop crime, it also opens up communities to being more self aware. However, beat copping is hard for the politicians to analyze. The hazard of beat copping is purely political. The strategy of beat copping is to stop crime before it even happens… which normally politicians see as less crime which means they can cut the budget which means less cops which means end to beat copping which means crime goes back up. Same thing with tickets. Ticket Quotas. IS there anything more asinine? Well i think dumb politicians, and some old systems like the legal one that need to be tore down and rebuilt, are the issues behind both of our hostility. I dont blame the cop for giving me a speeding ticket, i dont blame the cop for giving a kid a 70 dollar ticket for crossing a street on a blinking hand, its not the officers fault. The police are put in a moronic position of having to defend their own budget to protect the public. If most average joe, property tax citizens had more time to see this at work and know that police have to justify their worth to politicians thru these measures… i think we might have constant demonstrations outside city hall (which im pretty sure many cops would like to demonstrate against as well).

While I’m all for getting supreme offense out of our top line, any way imaginable, I’m also much more for seeing Hall and Eberle succeed. I think the best way to do that is leave things as is, with Horcules centering those too. They’ve been a great line, and I’d hate to see that chemistry ruined in favor of getting a bit more production out of line 1. I think line 1 will be fine, they just haven’t hit their stride yet. Gagner seems to be a bit of a slow starter.

As far as Cogs, well, they definitely should be putting Brule at C…. only a matter of time I’m sure.

OIB: Also a bit disappointed in Fraser. I’ll reserve my judgement on him for now though. But as it stands, I haven’t really felt he’s been making much of an impact. Maybe I’m just not seeing it though. Jones has stood out on that line though.

Oh and I have no problem with Penner moving to the Brule/Cogs line, just because Penner works everywhere he goes. He’s that one piece that I think can easily fit in anywhere and improve a line. I actually wish we could put Penner with Paajarvi again though, as I think they had some good magic together in the pre-season, that one game.

25. MetalOil says:

gr8one: lol, I personally think calling out Avery on natioanl TV as a co**sucker is worth two games.

Is that what Wiz’s gesture was ? I haven’t been around the TV or Computer much the last few days and every article I have seen said he made a gesture but none of them went into details about what type of gesture he made. LOL Maybe I will try youtube!!!

26. John says:

gr8one: I think John needed a cigarette. lol :p

*puff!*

27. MetalOil says:

MetalOil:
    Is that what Wiz’s gesture was ? I haven’t been around the TV or Computer much the last few days and every article I have seen said he made a gesture but none of them went into details about what type of gesture he made. LOLMaybe I will try youtube!!!

Edit yeah youtube had it. Pretty funny stuff LOL don’t think in was worth more then a game, especially when a foul that ended up with someone getting pretty hurt up gets the same amount of games. Really what is worse???

ahaha shit.. I knew what he was doing, but when I saw it on TV, they had his whole head and hand blurred out. Just watched it on youtube too. Comical. Steve-O was actually wondering why he didn’t cup the balls though…

lol…yeah, every time I see I can’t help but laugh.

oilinblood: I was born the day the Oilers hoisted their first cup–two years prior. I get the impression you want a bit of my background?

Where is BO guys? I kinda miss his Twatwaffle updates… :P

gr8one: lol…yeah, every time I see I can’t help but laugh.I do agree totally though with EF and HL that as funny as it was, a suspension was warranted, although 1 game would have sufficed.And I do think it’s a joke that Wiz got 2 and Hjasselhoff only got 2 as well. Wiz shoulda been 1, Hjall-whatever shoulda got 4.

LOL @ Hjasslehoff.. nice.

Racki: LOL @ Hjasslehoff.. nice.But anyways, Wizzer’s 2 game suspension is totally worth it, if you ask me. That’s gold, Jerry!

A few Isles fans are saying that as well, but they’re really pissed when comparing it to other suspensions i.e. the 1 game suspension for Cammaleri and his intent to injure Nino. A stick carving to the face gesture followed by an actual slash that injured garners 1 game but this garners 2 games?

Yah, the league’s suspensions don’t always make sense. I know they do take history into consideration though.. not sure if Cammalleri had a history of doing stuff.

Anyways, Puck Daddy tweeted this top 10 list of James Wisniewski excuses a blogger came up with:

LINK.

34. oilinblood says:

zackman35: No, not really I was just wondering how you have so much time on your hands (either you have quite a bit of time to analyze the game/type or you crunch information instantly and can type like lightnin’) and why you type like you’re, well, much younger. I’m not the greatest when it comes to online expression but I was just curious to know why the opinion is so strong in you. Where is BO guys? I kinda miss his Twatwaffle updates…

well i speed read, and normally type while doing other things. Typing has become for me what throwing a ball against a wall is for some of my peers. Some of my peers even have a hockey stick and ball in their office but that takes me away from my tools. This is why i am sure Racki, and any admin of sites i have frequented, notice i edit so much. I only check what i type after i hit send. Its habit for me to hit send after my last period. I also have a habit of typing on the net the way i am thinking (as if im having a conversation). I am sure its annoying but meh. Oh and depending on whether i am on one of the laptops, the netbook, or one of the desktops i have different typing issues/deficiency specific to the set up.
    As for strong opinion… again its habit of what i do most of my breathing day.
    As i am trying to become a better peer, and trying to correct errors in my way i request clarity on what you find as strong opinion in my first post.
    Also i would like clarity from DAWGTOY, as to what he felt was rude.
    I seem to come off as a jerk but really i think most of the jerk aspect seems to be from me stating that after fully explaining a point of view, that i feel it unnecessary to go further. I dont intend to be a jerk, i have no issues with anyone, and i also – apologies- but i am not going to just try to be friendly in conceding a stance since i dont feel that makes anyone stronger… but im not here to alienate or state that i am right and you are wrong. It seems issues only come up when people didnt comprehend what i was stating word for word, misinterpret tone – which doesnt exist- to create some read between the lines subtext and then make a motion that i said something i didnt.
    Also i never have much tone in my statements. Its best to keep in mind i likely have no issue with anything someone could say to me on here and that i am likely reading files as i type responses. Even if im at an oilers game my work is with me. A big joke for people who know me is that the only time i ditched my work is for my honeymoon (notice they dont say wedding because i was on the phone for most of that day keeping tabs on the state of a case). The truth is i ditch my work WHENEVER my wife instructs me to. She is the rare person who gets my full and complete attention and she deserves every bit of it.

WHo is this twatwaffle i keep seeing reference to? is it spector? I just refer to him as douche

BTW fox sports has Oilers ranked #1 in NHL power rankings. The #1 reason? Khabi and the fact we are only going to get better.
    I would never listen to FOX but…since no one else seems to see our immediate potential, i note them here.

Twatwaffle is E-klund.

Have you guys seen the slo mo version of Wiz’s gesture?

lol…just classic.

Weird about FOX… I wouldn’t take anything they have to say as any value though either. But strange that they see us as a big threat. They must have Maggie the Macaque doing their power rankings. I see the Oilers as vastly improved, but #1 is a bit of a pipe dream.

gr8one: Twatwaffle is E-klund.Have you guys seen the slo mo version of Wiz’s gesture?lol…just classic.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM9H19LKoP4&feature=related

Not sure if this link will work but check this out:

38. Haboiler says:

Too funny LNOF… Looks like I missed a busy night on POTF!

LNOF: Now that’s hilarious!!!

Oh here’s another one…for those of you who like action shots!

gr8one: LNOF: Now that’s hilarious!!!This is a little off topic, but since we’re doing funny links, I had to share this.http://media.photobucket.com/image/sticker%20stories%20horse/BurkC/horses.jpg

Huh. I had no idea hores liked carrots. We can all stand to learn a thing or two from children.

LateNightOilFan: Oh here’s another one…for those of you who like action shots!http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u148/cherrybloom203/wiz-anim.gif

hahaa awesome

Ha! That’s funny – glad my kids always showed me their homework back when they were younger, bet the teacher had a good laugh reading that!

Racki:
    hahaa awesome

lolol…yeah, that is almost, ALMOST as good as tra-la-la-la-Luongo.

gr8one: lolol…yeah, that is almost, ALMOST as good as tra-la-la-la-Luongo.btw Racki, I think you missed it in the GDC the other day, but did you know that LNOF revealed that she is in fact a M.I.L….derr…cougar!?!?

Hey now, what happens in the GDC stays in the GDC!

46. hemmerlady says:

I saw on Sportscentre that Hjasselhoff only got a game. I’m pretty sure that’s what I heard. I hope I’m wrong. A dirty hit should be considered a “rude” gesture if anything.

Both Hjamsammich and Wiz got 2 games.

LateNightOilFan:
    Hey now, what happens in the GDC stays in the GDC!

lol…duly noted LNOF. :twisted: :-D

Racki, do you still have tra-la-la-luongo kicking around? I’d like to see it again!

HL: Yeah, it was two for both, Sportscenter must have flubbed it.

49. hemmerlady says:

Racki: gr8one: Link

Tralalaluongo is vintage. I still laugh.