GDT: Oilers 2, Blue Jackets 3 (SO) – Game 8 – 2010-10-28 @ 5:00 PM – SNET ONE

logo AT logo
2-4-1 Record 5-3-0
Location: Nationwide Arena
Date: October 28, 2010 @ 5:00 PM MST
TV: Sportsnet One

PRE-GAME

Well, this would be the first match up between thecaptainethanmoreau and thecaptainshawnhorcoff, however, Ethan Moreau injured his hand and won’t be playing tonight. Also out tonight will be Edmonton Oiler defenceman Kurtis Foster, who is recovering from a groin injury he no doubt suffered while scrambling to recover from one of his failed pinch-ins. OK, I’ll play nice. But he is out tonight. Him and Jacques are our only injuries currently (knock on wood). When you look at the line up, we have a lot of size in the bottom 4 now… all of which are guys that have been known to use it in the past. But at least a couple of them are also known to have the speed of a fire hydrant, so we’ll see how this goes.

The Oilers are desperately struggling to keep their heads above water right now, but they are coming off a spectacular 3rd period rally against the Flames, so hopefully they can ride that high. This is where one would mention that Taylor Hall is still looking for his 1st goal, however, I’m not one to put pressure on the young players, so we’ll just breeze past that part.

I still have my rosey glasses on, so I’ll say 5-3 Oilers, although something tells me I’ll be dropping Khabibulin in the pool after tonight (not because he’s playing poorly but because the Oilers haven’t played well around him). Let’s hope for a good victory.

PROJECTED LINES

Penner – Gagner – Hemsky
Paajarvi – Horcoff – Eberle
Hall – Cogliano – Brule
Jones – Fraser – MacIntyre

Whitney – Gilbert
Smid – Strudwick
Peckham – Vandermeer

Dubnyk
Deslauriers

(Thanks to WFNY for the lineup update!)

Nash – Brassard – Voracek
Umberger – Vermette – Dorsett
Wilson – Pahlsson – Clark
Filatov – MacKenzie – Boll

Klesla – Methot
Russell – Stralman
Tyutin – Holden

Mason

LIVE CHAT

Closed.

30 Responses to “GDT: Oilers 2, Blue Jackets 3 (SO) – Game 8 – 2010-10-28 @ 5:00 PM – SNET ONE”

1. Spartacus says:

A win would be awesome, but I’ll take as little as a highlight-reel goal.

*snipped by Steve-O* Or am I just an insensitive ass?

2. John says:

Yay, go new Oilers go! There, I did my koolaid cheer for the team. In all seriousness though they should be abe to come out of there with a win tonight on account that the only 2 guys I was really worried about skewering us are either injured or traded to Vancouver.

@Spartacus: Not cool

Spartacus: A win would be awesome, but I’ll take as little as a highlight-reel goal.*snipped by Steve-O* Or am I just an insensitive ass?

Insensitive doesn’t begin to describe it.. this is the wrong site for that kind of talk. We’re not about hating life choices or belittling problems people had in the past on this site.

(p.s., it’s done, forgotten, just be a bit smarter about the comments and we’ve got no worries)

Back on track.. I wonder what the D-pairings will be like now, with Foster out. I have a feeling they’ll split up Whitney and Gilbert again so we don’t spread ourselves too thin.

6. Trogdor says:

Double shift Whitney all game, although he’s already looking worn out…

7. otto says:

It’s a relief to know we, at least, wont get bitch slapped by Moreau tonight.

8. WFNY_DP says:

Just wanted to provide you a little background (from my forthcoming preview) on tonight’s matchup. For your lineup above, Columbus’s lineup will most likely look like this:
    Rick Nash–Derick Brassard–Jakub Voracek
    RJ Umberger–Antoine Vermette–Derek Dorsett
    Kyle Wilson–Sammy Pahlsson–Chris Clark
    Nikita Filatov–Derek MacKenzie–Jared Boll
    Jan Hejda–Anton Stralman
    Rostislav Klesla–Marc Methot
    Fedor Tyutin–Kris Russell
    Steve Mason

Jackets have won four of five, including back-to-back wins on the road in Chicago and home against Philly. This is a feast-or-famine club so far through eight games, as they’ve won five, but in two of their three losses they’ve gotten totally embarrassed on home ice (5-2 against the Blackhawks, and 6-2 against the Flames). The bread and butter so far has been on defense, as when it’s good this team can keep very good teams off the scoresheet, but when they’re bad they become mired in giving up endless odd-man rushes, and they get abused.

Mason has followed that same pattern in goal. He’s either lights-out, or prone to giving up two shots from the point on a given night.

The PK has been solid of late, and the PP was wretched for most of the first six games but has come to life a bit in the last two after Scott Arniel made some sweeping line changes from top to bottom. Along those lines, moving Nash onto a line with the youngsters Brassard and Voracek–and putting #61 back at his natural LW–has paid immediate dividends. The line has teamed up for slick goals in the last two games, including one on the PP Monday night.

Injuries-wise, you all know about Moreau. It’s a tough loss, as the original checking line of Teeth–Pahlsson–Umberger was our best line through the first 4+ games before he got hurt. In addition to that, Mike Commodore is out (though it’s debateable if this is a bad thing), Kristian Huselius is out, and Kris Russell is playing his first game in five due to a groin injury; his strength is his skating when healthy, so it remains to be seen how effective he’ll be since he hasn’t been able to skate/practice in about 10 days.

All in all, I believe that if the Jackets play like they’re capable (and have played against the Hawks and Flyers the last two times out), they’re going to rudely send Edmonton on their way. But this Jackets team is capable of–and notorious for–coming out flat in games they should win on paper. And, since guys like Hemsky tend to beat out defense like they stole something, obviously anything’s possible.

Good luck, and keep up the great work here on your site!

9. Mr.Majestyk says:

Is this the game when Hall scores his first goal? Why not.

Yeah, a win would be nice. Columbus has played well though, as WFNY_DP mentioned. I still think this is the game you have to at least get a point out of. Columbus is still emerging so to speak. They are a team we SHOULD be able to win against in my view.

Also, don’t get me started on Hejda….

BTW, does anyone know why exactly we have two goalies sitting on the bench and Khabbi’s played every single game so far? How are we supposed to evaluate these two? I’m getting frustrated with the goalie scenario, but I imagine I’m in good company. Surely this would be a game where you put JDD or DD in. No?

11. Trogdor says:

We should hire this guy.

As for our two bench goalies, I thought it might be nice to give Khabi a night off in the press box and dress two back ups.

WFNY_DP: Jackets fan/blogger here… I linked up to this GDT as part of my game preview (publishes at 3 PM EDT @ the URL in my screen name).

Thanks a lot for the info! I linked back to your block in the GDT thread (where CBJ’s lineups are).

chucker: Yeah, a win would be nice.Columbus has played well though, as WFNY_DP mentioned.I still think this is the game you have to at least get a point out of.Columbus is still emerging so to speak.They are a team we SHOULD be able to win against in my view.Also, don’t get me started on Hejda….BTW, does anyone know why exactly we have two goalies sitting on the bench and Khabbi’s played every single game so far?How are we supposed to evaluate these two?I’m getting frustrated with the goalie scenario, but I imagine I’m in good company.Surely this would be a game where you put JDD or DD in.No?

Clearly we’ll have to deal with that and evaluate next year, Chucker!

Btw, I didn’t update the goalie situation yet, but word is that one of them is starting this or the next game

Edit: actually, tonight is the night… Doobie gets the start.

14. Bruce says:

Just like that, one tweaked groin and Theo Peckham slides into the top four. Or at least he should, based on merit. Scary how thin we are on the blue, but it’s a great chance for the kid. Theo had a terrific game in Calgary, let’s hope he keeps it up. The hockey gods know we need somebody to emerge on the blueline.

Hey Bruce… Peckham was in the top 4 last game too (played with Foster).

But yah, you are right, we are pretty thin on the blueline. It amazes me how we were once pretty solid in that spot, then suddenly it’s mostly gone. Of course it doesn’t help that one of your top D-men is playing on someone else’s farm team.

But Peckham sure does look good this year so far. I’ve always liked him, but I didn’t expect him to look this good just yet. Hopefully he can keep that going.

Racki: It amazes me how we were once pretty solid in that spot, then suddenly it’s mostly gone.

From what I recall it amazed Lowe too

17. WFNY_DP says:

Here’s the updated link to my specific GD preview. Thanks again!

–DP

18. hemmerlady says:

Rack, love, your GDT headline has the game on yesterday – I went home sick and have been hibernating for 24 hrs, so that could very well be.
    p.s. I like your PK play chart.

Fixed it for him…sometimes it’s hard to get good help around here.

Tell me about it, no one knows that better than me!

WFNY_DP: Here’s the updated link to my specific GD preview. Thanks again!</P

Thanks for the link! I’m from the Halifax area, always look forward to seeing Voracek play again, he was quite enjoyable to watch while I was a STH with the Mooseheads during his tenure. Really nice kid, met him a couple times, everyone called him Jake. Couldn’t speak a word of English when he arrived – well, except the swear words!

Hoping for a good game!

Chat box up now.. can’t tell if it’s working, but leaving work soon and will fix there if it’s not working

23. WFNY_DP says:

LNOF–
    Jake is one of my favorite players. He looks ready to make the leap–and hopefully playing off of Nash will continue to help–and there couldn’t be a more likeable kid.

Good game tonight, folks!

24. John says:

Poop. Another play from behind situation instead of playing at least 2 full periods of decent hockey. I’m glad Renney didn’t force Penner down our throats for the S/O like the Calgary game but why the hell won’t he throw Hall & Paajarvi out; especially Hall since he was really in a groove tonight? I don’t get it. Beginning to get a bad taste in my mouth in regards to how this team is coached sometimes.

25. WFNY_DP says:

Not the prettiest game, but it’s clear you guys have a bright future ahead of you, and it shouldn’t be that far away. I’m more sold on Edmonton being a great team in a few years than I am the Jackets, anyway. Looking forward to chatting again the next time we play!

Cheers!
    –DP

26. Ktown says:

Did anybody else notice Hemsky’s penalty killing there in the third? He was standing in front of shots, getting his nose dirty to get the puck… I was impressed. I think he’s looked pretty good on the pk so far, and to me, it really shows his passion.

I know there are worries about him going UFA and leaving, but I for one am really happy to have him as long as we can.

I did actually… I noticed him before. They haven’t played a lot yet, but him and Penner haven’t been scored on yet on the PK. They haven’t played half as much at short-handed as Horcoff and others though. But still, they’re doing well.

28. Spartacus says:

Alright SteveO & Racki, consider me suitably chastised.

On topic; I got back to my hotel just in time to miss Taylor Hall’s first goal. Not a highlight reel goal, but they don’t ask how, just how many?

You gotta like that they’re showing some fight and getting back into games, even if we’re losing it in the shootout.

Yah really I was impressed with the team last night. Not the best game they’ve played, but it was a lot better. Special teams also looked better, although it should be noted that the Jackets have struggled on the PP (even moreso than us.. although we’re sitting middle-of-the-pack).

Missed this one last night. Sounds like DD played amazingly and our D, well, not so much.

Good to see him get a game in and do well.