GDT: Oilers 4, Flames 5 (SO) – Game 7 – 2010-10-25 @ 7:00 PM – SNET

logo AT logo
2-4-0 Record 5-3-0
Location: Saddledome
Date: October 26, 2010 @ 7:00 PM MST
TV: Sportsnet

PRE-GAME

The Oilers had back into Calgary tonight to take on the Calgary Flames. The last outing was a pretty poor one, as the Flames beat us 5-3… although the score probably shouldn’t have been that close. The Oilers played a good half of a game, at best, and were dominated yet again in the faceoff circle.

So we’re back to thinking the Oilers are a basement dweller again… welcome to the roller coaster ride. I’m going to have to figure that the Oilers put up a much better effort against Calgary tonight than the last game (both their last game – against SJ – and their last game against the Flames). I still question whether that will be enough. So I’m going to go with a 4-2 Calgary win here, although I think the Oilers will show a very spirited effort (oh god, please).

PROJECTED LINES

26.7 S/G 33.2
32.3 SA/G 27.0
43.8 FO% 46.5

LIVE GAME CHAT

Closed.

POST-GAME RANT

Well, fantastic 25-ish minute game played by the Oilers tonight. Too bad they didn’t show up until the 3rd period. The first two periods were god awful to the point that I think many Oilers fans were seen researching the top draft picks in 2011. But credit to the Oilers for battling hard in the 3rd period. You have to wonder where that fight was in the first 2 periods though. Did the Flames just tire themselves out?

At any rate, Jordan Eberle scored yet another beauty. This kid only scores gorgeous goals, apparently. Taylor Hall had an average game, at best. Paajarvi scored a wonderful partial-breakaway goal. Khabibulin was solid, if not stellar in goal for most of the night and held the fort long enough for the team to rally back.

This is one of those games where maybe you can chalk it up to growing pains, however even guy’s like Whitney were making huge mistakes. Smid and Peckham, however, each looked very solid. I thought that even Strudwick wasn’t too bad out there. But it just wasn’t the night for Foster and Whitney, early on, as they both seemed very scary defensively. I know Whitney will bounce back, but I do question Foster’s risk vs. his reward. He did score a goal tonight, be also created one on a poor pinch, as well as got burned pinching again later on (although no goal was scored the second time). I think I count at least 1 bad pinch a game… but perhaps I’m just being overly critical.

Anyways, there are lots of lessons to be learned here, but good job by the Oilers to show that they do have some compete in them with that 3rd period rally. My final note though… no Horcoff in the shootout???

Edit: Actually one more final note that I thought odd. Jason Gregor pointed out sometime late in the 3rd that the Oilers 1st two periods they were hot in the draw (mid 60s), but dropped to 40-something when they were actually playing good. Go figure.

Edit2: Ok, onnnne more fine note. I’ve always advocated Penner on the PK. I think they should keep it going more. He wouldn’t normally be the first guy you think of, but he’s a good PKer.

39 Responses to “GDT: Oilers 4, Flames 5 (SO) – Game 7 – 2010-10-25 @ 7:00 PM – SNET”

Flames again, wow including pre-season this is 5 games out of the first 9 against Cgy. Anyway, we’re 1-1 so far, let’s go ahead in the season series tonight!

Tom Renney was quoted yesterday as saying something like “when do we get to play the rest of the National Hockey League” (no joke)

3. John says:

Part of me wants to watch this game, part of me wants to watch TV with my wife instead! Unfortunately the Flamers are playing some pretty pumped up hockey right now & Kipper is totally on his game. The Oil, in the meantime, are playing like a Junior A team with goalie who would have trouble stopping a soccer ball. The only alternative is to PVR the game then FFWD through it later to see if there are any highlights worth watching. 5-2 Flamers (insert fart here)

Raitis Ivanans is still out with a concussion. Lucky for him, after tonight, the Flames and Oilers don’t meet up again until New Years Day (all kidding aside, he got rocked pretty hard, so I can see why he’d be concussed for this long).

So I’m presuming that since the game is on Sportsnet Calgary it will be blacked out in Edmonton. Is that correct or no?

It’s hard to get up for this game after the last few. Uggg. I hope they play well tonight, otherwise it will be a very, very, very long season.

Sportsnet ONE Calgary…

So hell no.. we get 82 games televised this year!

I think it’s channel 301 for Shaw folks.

301 HD, 320 SD…

(Look up Sportsnet Flames)

Sweet! Thanks Racki.

Are my posts being caught up in the spam filter Racki?

LateNightOilFan: Are my posts being caught up in the spam filter Racki?

Indeed there were a couple in there. I approved it.

LateNightOilFan: Are my posts being caught up in the spam filter Racki?

Sorry, don’t always notice those right away, but the spam filter seems to hate it when people have multiple URLs in posts… which is weird, cause it was Chucker posting the URLs, but you were just quoting. But the quoting and such aren’t native to WordPress, so I think it sees the quote link as one URL, then the other two URLs in there and just thinks “omg spam!”

Next time your message disappears into the netherworld, check to see if there are URLs in it and remove if not needed. Plan B, don’t quote that spammer Chucker!

Thanks Racki and Steve-O, next time when I quote a post maybe I’ll remove any links that are part of what I’m quoting.

Btw, some lineup confirmations…. MacIntyre is back in.

Whitney-Gilbert reunited (and it feeeels soo goooood)
    Peckham-Foster
    Smid-Strudwick

Better.

14. Trogdor says:

And we now have the Flames line up for our Calgary fan.

Gilbert and Whitney together and Vandy benched?!?! AMEN

Plus Peckham back, no less.

Apparently his hand is still “tender”. Hopefully he takes it easy on it.

17. dawgtoy says:

Peckham-Foster
    Smid-StrudwickBetter.

Thank the hockey Gods!!!

18. dawgtoy says:

19. oilinblood says:

Racki: Btw, some lineup confirmations…. MacIntyre is back in.Whitney-Gilbert reunited (and it feeeels soo goooood)Peckham-FosterSmid-StrudwickBetter.

Thats really weird. I wonder why Smid isnt with Foster. Perhaps it is IT management to keep his minutes low for PK?
    I know i call VAndermeer Douche but he is the lesser of two evils when compared to Struds. I think the SJ collapse was more about his partner than him. Its like when Ulanov got benched for the rest of the year after playing with Cross for 6 games. Cross couldnt handle the new speed in the game and i felt Ulanov kept his game simple but always had to cover for Cross AND had to eliminate Cross from his options since COry was screwing up everything. Ulanov wasnt exactly great in those games but i remember the big interceptions that everyone pointed to for him being scratched the rest of the year werent even his fault. One was a simple out let to HOrc but Horc chose to change rather than accept the pass and it went by him onto sakics stick just outside the blue and well… its sakic catching us on a line change…back of the net. The other was a simple in zone cross to Cross, an average everyday play and it was on fresh ice and it stopped suddenly in a bit of water right at the hash marks. Forechecker got their first even though Cross was far closer. Boom. goal. If Cross had skating ability he would have easily gotten to the puck and played it off the wall or back to Ulie.
    Sometimes your partner makes you look worse than you are and sometimes they make you look better.

Nice to see the reliable pairing together again. Got tix, should be good.

BTW i think they should drug test Harvey the Hound. And who the F came up with a hound as a mascot for them? Maybe if they went with a dog … an inbred Dalmation would likely work best?

RAck– DOes Puritania not post on here? I see you, John, Ktown, Chucker, BO… but where is KTG and Puritania; Adrian, OG77?

Not sure who KTG is… but Puritania does post here from time to time, yes.

21. John says:

dawgtoy: “The American Hockey League’s Hershey Bears will be without defenceman Sheldon Souray for two weeks with a hand injury. Souray suffered a broken hand Saturday in a game against Adirondack when he fought Matt Clarkson.”http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=338750

Wow, so Souray really is made of glass! I thought it was just Iginlas ridiculously huge skull.

22. oilinblood says:

Racki: Not sure who KTG is… but Puritania does post here from time to time, yes.

KeithTheGreat

23. MetalOil says:

Finally they reunite Gibs and Whits !!! Hopefully the chemistry is still there. I like that Pecks has been bumped up to the 2nd pairing. I think he deserves a chance there.

Sorry folks, correction.. this one is on regular Sportsnet… Oil sched is a bit confusing when it said “Sportsnet (Calgary)”… I guess they just meant its the Calgary feed. Who cares, just gimme the channel! :P

25. dawgtoy says:

Racki: Sorry folks, correction.. this one is on regular Sportsnet… Oil sched is a bit confusing when it said “Sportsnet (Calgary)”… I guess they just meant its the Calgary feed. Who cares, just gimme the channel!

Does that Peter Loubardias idiot do their games?

I’m thinking yes.. but not sure.

It might actually be Ronald McDonald and the Hamburglar.

27. Hockey Noob says:

Hey Racki,

Guess who just broke his hand in a minor hockey league fight? By the way, this captcha thing is a pain. You can try the Growmap spam plugin, works just as good and you only have to check a box.

Not sportsnet one, just regular sportsnet but the calgary announcers

EDIT: and about 40 min late to the party i guess

Hockey Noob: Hey Racki,Guess who just broke his hand in a minor hockey league fight?By the way, this captcha thing is a pain.You can try the Growmap spam plugin, works just as good and you only have to check a box.

The captcha is only for non-registered users, but I’ll take a look at that one. This captcha has killed all new user spam (seriously..wtf), and significantly reduced general spam too.

Steve-O: Not sportsnet one, just regular sportsnet but the calgary announcers

OLD.

30. DropIt says:

Carbon copy of last game. Calgary dominates for 2 periods and lays back in the third. They deserved the win, despite Kipper being a little shakey. Although after 2 SO he gets a bye. I disagree with Racki, however. Eberle’s first non-gorgeous goal. Pretty weak goaltending by Kipper on the shortside. I will give the Oile credit on not giving up and pushing for the 1 bonus point.

Not disapointed at all as the Flames got the points that they earned and the Oil are 1 point back of getting the top pick again lol.

31. oilinblood says:

Saw the game tonight and had a few things i wanted to ask and also a few observations.
    I should point out that i am sick of the negativity on other boards. I think its kind of rediculous to be throwing trash at the players right now. They are still implementing a new system under Renney and at least 4 guys are feeling their way into the full time NHL game, with another 3 feeling their way with a new team. Yes Penner looks slow and out of gas quickly but who knows why. He looked like a beast opening night so it might be flu. Also, the players havent been able to get into much of a groove having a month off in between games.
    Khabi was spectacular and i hate the thought of giving other goalies any time in between the pipes.
    Peckham i think is becoming very dependable and knows the targets that he wants to finish hits on…rather than trying to nail everyone. He rarely allowed Iginla to stand, once he closed in. I dont know if its consistent but he seems to not care about getting out of position to finish off guys like Stajan etc which i feel is alright. Pick your spots. The boards arent a dangerous tactical area anyways.
    Whitney and the rest of the defence continue to have me shaking my head. I dont know why we have so many lapses. If the choice is to eat board or pass an easy reception to cogs for a breakout… i feel you brace to eat boards.
    Brule had some good intensity but i really do wish that the most effective player of that line wouldnt always be the rookie thats put with them. Hell the rookie even had to glove down a waist high pass in order for the line to accomplish anything on the night. (Intersting to see im not the only one who uses his thigh as fulcrum on inclose one handed shots)
    Gags and Hemsky continue to impress me game after game. Ive bashed both for years. I dont know how the trash thrower on other boards are perceiving Hemmer and Gags as culprits for our losing. As a long time hater of Hemsky and Gags… if they had fault in their games i would have jumped on them by now… but i really dont see any. I must be blind.
    Still not sold on Foster nor Fraser. To think that Morrison was available. Perhaps like Malhotra Morrison just didnt want to be in a rebuild? I always liked the guy.

I am a fan of Conroy. He is a classy guy who can come close in class to Dougy. CLOSE.
    Kipper got thrown under the bus by Sutter for the game. This makes me mad. I think Kipper is the best goalie in the league and i am not a fan of coaches talking about, or critiquing their play/positioning. The second might have been a soft goal but there was hardly anything to shoot at. Maybe Sutter doesnt know the evalluation that Ebs is a righty and in being so Kipper has to make sure the far corner isnt forgotten. To back hand a puck into the small space of a cigarette pack is a difficult feat and im sure Kipper wouldnt dwell on it. YEs he wasnt tight to the post but Eberle can go to open blade and pick far side easier than trying to thread needle on the backhand while under pressure. Sutter should shut up.
    I like how old geezer, playoff whiffer, Jokinen picks a fight with Gags (4″ and 30 lbs smaller)-gets in the first two punches but Gags responds to pretty much give grandpa his medicine. Its one of those fights you dont win even if you “win”. Even if Olli beats on Gags… Olli is still done in 2 years…like all the flames. Nice to see Gags get it done.

I am enjoying seeing the Oilers; young, new, finding themselves, adjusting to new system, trying to find their groove, inexperience galore (basically an ahl team in transition to NHL team) keeping up with a veteran Flames team that has a window of 2 years ticking down.
    tick, tick , tick

Penner taking the last SO shot was a bad call. The guy looked out of gas and i feel in the SO speed is a must. Speed and/or release. Horcoff haters even admit he is good on the SO. I was surprised him or Magnum/Hall woudnt have been the 3rd as a strategic pick. Magnum was fired up after his goal and Hall could certainly use that kind of tap on the shoulder. If hall had scored…regardless of win or not, it could have been a release of the weight he is feeling. A real opportunity squandered. I dont question the first two choices.

So. Am i blind? Seems to me with the negativity going around we were supposed to come out of the gate as world beaters; new system, 4 rookies, new coach staff, playing hardly any games-no rhythm-, 3 new players finding their fit, a goalie and top RW that hadnt played in almost a year each, and all. Hmmmm. do i need my eyes checked?
    I hope Renney never throws Khabi under the bus like Sutter did to Kipper tonight. Kipper was fine. The fact is the flames are reliant on their system and special teams and in so are reliant on veteran execution, they will never win a game of open uncoached skill. We are finding our system, slowly. All this and they still have trouble beating us, a last place team…which is 10 mill under cap- thus likely the first call a smart gm would make if he has a big name player available.
    two years
    tick
    tik
    tic

I’m in agreement with most of the above. Haven’t been sold on Foster or Fraser either. Jones I was after the first game, and that quickly disappeared too. Even as big of a Storts fan, I’m not sold anymore on him either (yes I realize he wasn’t in the lineup yesterday – talking about other games). These guys all have to pick it up. I’d honestly make a decision on a goalie and bring Reddox up. Whitney, I suppose, is allowed an off game. Yesterday was definitely his off game. That pass to Cogliano was just awful, and he got beat at the blue line on another goal.

I’m confident that Whitney will be OK, and I’m confident that Jones, Stortini and Fraser will all have their good games now and then. However, Foster will be the whipping boy for me this year, I think.

Two guys not in my doghouse this year – Peckham and Smid. Each have been pretty solid. Smid, I somewhat expected it, but Peckham I figured would be pretty rough around the edges still (big fan.. I just figured that due to inexperience and that he would be a better d-man in a year or two). So great surprise seeing these guys off to a good start while our “top” d-men flounder around in their own zone. I still say it would be nice to ditch Vandermeer and/or Strudwick and pick up a real shutdown d-man though that can play top-line minutes against top-line competition. Smid or Peckham could be that guy in a few years, but I wouldn’t expect that yet.

Also, Penner in the shootout… agreed. Horcoff should have for sure been one of the shooters. As far as Hemsky or Eberle, you can’t really think either of those guys are bad shooters really (as you noted).. so I’d say just the choice of Penner over Horcoff was bad.

33. John says:

Well I got to go to the game last night, one of the the wierdest & most aggrevating I’ve ever been to. It was a total embarrasment the way the Oil played (or didn’t play) from the half way mark of the 1st through to the end of the 2nd, a junior team could have done as well! Seriously I have to question the Flames not just for virtually collapsing in the 3rd but the abyssmal way the Oilers were playing it should have been 6-2 by the end of the 2nd; my God between Peckham trying to go low post on Khabi & Whitney passing the puck to Backlund for the tap in by Glenx I think the Flames should be more disturbed by that game than the Oil!

Oh well, I will just choose to remember that game from the 19:00 min mark of the second ’til the end of regulation :)

A few remarks on what I saw; Penner was dog ass all night, I couldn’t figure out why Renney kept throwing him out on the PP, PK, OT & ESPECIALLY the shootout! When Penner came out of the players box for the SO I was yelling, “Thanks for giving them the game Renney!”

Eberle was ROCKIN’ last night, too bad he couldn’t beat Kipper in the SO, would have made his evening complete. Obviously there are differing opinions on his goal but I was sitting about 20 rows off the ice & almost lined up with the net; from what I saw, there was only about 2 inches of daylight between Kippers arm & the post; that’s a pretty damn sweet shot in my books ;)

Whitney/ Gilbert had some rough moments out there (but aside from #14, who didn’t?) but Gliby DID finally get a goal again & overall I was happy with that pairing together again.

Horcoff won some important FO’s & generally battled all night. No real complaints there.

Peckham played really gritty & pretty well for a while but then he just went off the rails & nearly cost us the game in regulation a couple times.

Until next time I guess.

Peckham’s shot on Khabi reminds me of this kid on my hockey team when I was like 13 or so. He decided he wanted to try and ring it around the boards from the faceoff dot to our goalie’s right. Instead he blasts a slap shot that goes just off the side of the net and back to him. Rather than learn, the dipshit tried it again and successfully blasted one past the goalie. :|

35. otto says:

Thanks for the recaps, guys! I missed pretty much all of the game except the shootout and it’s nice to read a fan perspective that was something other then “We lost! Waaaa!”

36. Trogdor says:

I don’t think Hall will get a shot until he busts his nut in an actual game. Not scoring in the shootout might beat him down even more.

Plus all the teams do a shootout drill in practice, and if he isn’t shooting I am assuming he’s not scoring all that much in that drill either.

Maybe Khabdublauriers has his number in the practice shootout. Ditto on Horcoff, who is our best shootout..er. Shootouter.

39. John says:

Trogdor: I do like that I missed most of the low lights and saw most of the highlights last night, so I can say my kid’s timing is impeccable. I really think Hall should have gotten the nod in the shootout last night, even more so after watching Penner lumber in. The kid has proven many times over that he knows what to do on a breakaway, and his NHL mojo could have used a goal to get him on track.

To say Penner was lumbering last night would be like saying Rita MacNeil is a little heavy! I hope he’s injured or sick because he showed no punch or emotion & I could have skated circles around him. I’ve been a Penner supporter ever since he came to Edmonton but last night I wanted to punch him in his beer gut.