GDT: Oilers 1, Sharks 6 – Game 6 – 2010-10-23 @ 8:00 PM – CBC

logo AT logo
2-2-1 Record 2-3-0
Location: Rexall Place
Date: October 23, 2010 @ 8:00 PM MST
TV: CBC

PRE-GAME

So the Oil invite the Sharks into their territory for the first time this year. The Oilers are coming off a tough 4-2 loss to Minnesota… one that somehow slipped away, mostly due to a bad start to the game. I’ll be at the game again, so I’m hoping for a good one. And I think I’ll get to see a good one. I think the last game was very positive, and the team just has to take it that way and not get down on themselves and just do what they did Thursday… except maybe keep things more simple on the powerplay.

I’ll guess 5-4 Oilers.

PROJECTED LINES

Penner – Gagner – Hemsky
Paajarvi – Horcoff – Eberle
Hall – Cogliano – Brule
Jones – Fraser – Stortini

Whitney-Foster
Smid-Gilbert
Vandermeer-Strudwick

Khabibulin

Lineups to come

LIVE GAME CHAT

Closed

17 Responses to “GDT: Oilers 1, Sharks 6 – Game 6 – 2010-10-23 @ 8:00 PM – CBC”

Hey Racki, I’m pretty darn sure that the Oilers will be wearing the vintage colours tonight because they wore the vintage practice jerseys the other day.

If you’d like you can go ahead and use that pic. :P

Here’s one more suited for the foil, just not as good res…

Stat pack — Edmonton is 29th in the League in the power kill, while San Jose’s power-play is the third best in the NHL. The Sharks have scored 8 of their 13 goals this season with the extra man.

That gave me a chuckle reading that a few minutes ago. I’m hoping they put one of the younger goalies in net tonight and I hope the energy transpires over to this game too.

2. otto says:

We’re boned.

3. Mr.Majestyk says:

otto: We’re boned.

De-boned.

Edit. Shark related humour from the pages of Maxim:

A father shark takes his son out to teach him how to feed on humans. The father says, first thing we do is find a human swimming alone, then make sure your fin is showing above the water and do a few circles around him before going in for the kill. The son asks ‘why do we have to swim circles around them first?’ and the father says ‘They taste better without shit in them’

43 in 49 out. injured hand

5. MetalOil says:

Did they say how Pecks injured his hand? Wonder if he somehow hurt it on that hit from behind in that Wild game.

Anyways I will be at the game tonight. It has been a while since I have been to a game so hopefully they can pull out a win for me.

Prediction: Oiler win 4-3 in the shootout.

The fact that the Sharks have only scored 5 EV goals in 5 games is pretty strange, and even stranger seeing them only 1 pt ahead of the Oilers in the standings. What is up with some teams only having 5 games in so far anyways?

I hope to be home for puck drop. My family and I volunteer at a haunted forest walk to support Breast Cancer, so speaking of scaring the shit out of people, as in Mr. M’s joke, I’ll be off doing that…Mwahahaha…

MetaOil: that would be my guess.. the hit from behind.

8. hemmerlady says:

D’oh, we lose again. Bad PK’s, turnovers and keeping Cogs at centre make hemmerlady cry.

I think the reality is slowly starting to settle in.

I have thrown my playoff hopes out the window and given up on the Oilers playing past 82 games this season. They are simply not good enough. This team will go NO WHERE unless they get some forwards to play the pk. Tambi tried to get those guys, but failed at it, all I can say is try harder. Keep Cogliano out of the faceoff circle, he is terrible at center.

I think at this point it is best to forget any playoff hopes. This rebuild is gonna take a few years. Lets hope for 2-3 years, with this being year #2. Adam Larsson or Ryan Nugent Hopkins would really help this team out because we need both a center and top defender on this team.

I would actually send Paajarvi down for now. Send him to OKC and let him go on a tear down there and bulid some confidence, and help his game. He is gonna be really good soon, but I think he needs some development time. Bring Reddox up and role with him on the 3rd line. Hall to the 2nd, Penner back to the 1st.

Vandermeer better be gona after this season. I think we will find somewhere for him at the deadline and give Plante the role. Vandermeer is very slow, and on one of the early Sharks goals he stood there like a pylon, something I have seen a few times this season. Hopefully they let him walk for a younger defender in the off-season.

Start JDD or DD against the Flames. Khabibulin needs a little rest, and one of these guys needs to start playing. Let it be JDD, then send DD for a stint in OKC for 2 weeks.

Its gonna be a process. I’m giving the playoffs up for this season. We all hope, hell we all KNOW that the Oilers will get better as the season goes on. They aren’t there yet and lets just get another good prospect and get keep building.

In the off-season draft a quality Center or Defender, then sign a few role players and a shutdown defender please.

11. Mr.Majestyk says:

knee jerk reaction much?

Seriously though, it was tough to watch last night. This season will be filled with ups and downs and everyone should have been expecting that.

So is Cogliano officially this season’s whipping boy?

Racki: Yah really… we’re only 6 games in. And I think everyone knew that the theme this year would be “Growing Pains”. I think the goal should always be to put together as good a team as possible and make the playoffs at this stage of the season. Sure, once it really becomes painfully obvious that the Oilers won’t make the playoffs, throw in the towel… but this is way too early for those kinds of thoughts.Cogliano was one faceoff win from 50% last night (8 draws taken). Fraser was 17% on 6 draws. I am not blaming Cogliano for losses (that line was on the ice for 1 GA last night.. not a big concern), but I do too wonder why they have him at center over Brule. But that’s not the big issue.From what I’ve seen there are a couple of problems that all point to our blue line. Problem 1: guys pinch in far too much and get beat quite frequently, leaving 1 defensemen back and MAYBE a forward. I think our luck in handling those has been OK although we can’t keep giving those up (Foster is the biggest culprit here). Problem 2 (and the big one): is that none of our defensemen know where our own net is. They stray from it with a very consistent basis.. forwards frequently get in behind them and get several chances at rebounds or clear shots on goal. I wasn’t really satisfied when the Oilers picked up Vandermeer, and I’m not going to pick on him. But the Oilers needed a shutdown d-man. Foster is OK on the powerplay, but he scares the hell out of me at even strength (he wasn’t the problem yesterday though, as he is nowhere near a PK line). I think the Oilers biggest need is a guy who can play a solid brand of D. I think they need someone other than Smid. Some people will say Peckham, but there’s no way he can shut down top players or a top PP at this stage.I wonder about Fraser as our PK / Faceoff specialist too. Last night he barely saw any PK time (him and Jones have been on the ice for quite a few of the GA on the PK previous to this game) and he hasn’t been very good on the dot to date. But some guys are slow starters, so who knows. I wouldn’t mind seeing VV or O’Marra or someone else get a shot though. But anyways, I guess we knew this is what would happen.. lots of ups and downs. But I thought the way they played against Minny that this game against the Sharks would be a good one. Especially when Eberle started the game with a shortie. Really it’s the same old story for me… the Oilers will never really be a competitive team until they start taking the defensive aspect of the game seriously and put together a 4th line / 3rd pairing of guys together who play tough hockey and solid defense. They have the offensive horses now, they just need a solid line of defensive guys.

Now just so you guys understand where I am coming from here, I’m not saying these guys are horrible and lets get the top pick, but what I’m trying to say is we have had a bad start, again, and I don’t think this team is a playoff team, I don’t. I really like how things are looking for the future, I mean come on how can’t you! Our PK and PP will lose us some games this season, heck I think they have already lost us 2 games this season. PK lost the first wild game, PP lost the 2nd wild game. Look I’m not gonna complain if we get a lottery pick, that means we get a stud defender or a top center. We need 3rd and 4th line players. Colin Fraser has been quite the bust too.

14. hemmerlady says:

@B.O. – did you really peg us for the playoffs this year? As much as I have hope and optimism for the young guys, especially Eberle who has been playing like a BEAST, we’re not going to make the playoffs – I’ve never harbored that illusion. We would need a miracle. I would be delighted if we got that miracle but I agree with Racki – until they start addressing the items that need to be addressed, we won’t be able to compete.
    That’s not to say that they aren’t in the process of addressing the issues which seem so obvious (and easily rectified?) to us.
    It’s a rebuilding year. As much as I’m tempted to get downright discouraged, I have to keep reminding myself that it’s going to take a few years. Let’s just have some fun watching the Big Three get there. Ok? :)

Edit: for clarity.

Hemmerlady, did you get my message I sent you on Twitter?

gr8one: I’d rather finish in the bottom 5 this year than make the playoff’s as a bubble team and have a first round exit.Hemmerlady, did you get my message I sent you on Twitter?

But we would see some clear improvement in making the playoffs. Its a win win.

17. hemmerlady says:

Yup, got it now. Search didn’t work (what, am I inept?) – check your messages, sent you a direct link to my FB.