GDT: Oilers 2, Wild 4 – Game 5 – 2010-10-21 @ 7:30 PM – SNET1

logo AT logo
2-2-0 Record 2-2-1
Location: Rexall Place
Date: October 21, 2010 @ 7:30 PM MST
TV: Sportsnet One

PRE-GAME

Well, we meet again. The Wild are in town tonight after chasing Bobby Lou from the net on Tuesday with a 6-2 beatdown of the Canucks. Aside from some line juggling, the thing to watch tonight will be the faceoff dot. The Oilers have struggled greatly so far in this young season and currently sit 29th. The Oilers were also lit up in Minnesota by the Wild’s powerplay and they did the same to Vancouver so one of tonight’s big keys will to be stay out of the box.

PROJECTED LINES

28.4 S/G 25.5
29.2 SA/G 33.8
55.6 FO% 40.2

LIVE GAME CHAT

[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

POST-GAME REPORT

Well, tough loss tonight. Tough because the Oilers deserved to win this one. But the wise MacT mentioned something about the life cycle of a team is that you win games you have no business winning and lose games you should win. Tonight they lost one they should have won. I think this was a game that showed the team that they have it in them to win games against good teams. I think the Oilers will turn it around, at least for the next bit here.

Anyways, best Oiler on the ice tonight is a bit of a tough call. Theo Peckham was a dominant force out there and threw 3 or 4 big hits. For the forwards, Taylor Hall.. wow… he really came alive. TOm Renney had a good post game interview. He basically quietly chastised reporters for thinking he hasn’t played well enough. He said that internally, they haven’t doubted him at all and he hasn’t had a bad game.. but tonight was certainly his best game so far (Renney’s words). Hall looked a lot better than we’ve seen him yet, making great passes (set up Horcoff with a BEAUTY, but Horcoff drilled it over the net), speeding all over the ice, and being strong on the puck. He blew past defenders at least a couple of times tonight. To me he showed a lot of promise and made me think that if he can keep up this level of play, he’ll be a great player in a few years.

All three scoring lines were fantastic tonight, after the brain fart of a first period. For the first two goals against, our 4th line was on the ice and dominated by Brodziak’s line. Stortini must’ve been so bad to the scorekeepers, because as of right now, he’s not even listed on the game sheet. I suspect that he saw somewhere around 2 minutes of ice time (Jones too) and yet they had 2 goals against. Not good. They HAVE to be better than that. But some nights some lines have problems. So it’s not something to worry about yet.

Khabibulin had a good game tonight. He was in it the whole way, and I don’t think he let in any bad goals (although the 3rd goal was a bad goal, it wasn’t his fault.. it was redirected in off Vandermeer’s stick).

Anyways, next game is Saturday vs. the Sharks. I’ll be at the game. I think it will be a good one. The Oilers have momentum going their way, despite the loss.

17 Responses to “GDT: Oilers 2, Wild 4 – Game 5 – 2010-10-21 @ 7:30 PM – SNET1”

1. Dan Moser says:

Hey folks, for those of you who will be doing the GDT chat, I’d suggest trying to post a message now so I can see it and mark you as unmoderated. I have to figure this thing out a bit better though..

edit: installed a different chat thing.. seems a little easier to use.. more simplified, but i don’t think it requires any moderation.
    We’ll see how this one goes.

Dan Moser: Hey if you like the read about the Oilers and you like the occasional laugh be sure to check this site out! Here is the latest post!NEW Oiler Spill: What R U Watching 2nite? http://oilerspill.blogspot.com/2010/10/what-r-u-watching-2nite.html

Mentioning TMZ in a post on your blog? Come on OP, come on.

In all seriousness, I wouldn’t recommend attracting an audience by coming to another Oilers blog and making your first post a direct link. At least pretend to care what’s going on here. ;-) Hey… it got me to the site though right? I probably won’t be going back anytime soon though.

Different chat thing up now. We’ll see how this one goes.. stole that idea from our blogger buddy Smokin’ Ray, as that’s what Oilers Jambalaya uses. ;)

For you mobile folks, if you get an error about screen size being too small or something, try hitting the “Full Size” link and/or going landscape mode on your phone (tilt it sideways) and refresh.

6. dawgtoy says:

Not Ipad friendly :(

dawgtoy: Not Ipad friendly :(

I think it’s flash… and yah… Apple doesn’t like Flash, if I’m not mistaken. Boo on them.

Apple will never be flash compatible, and honestly, that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

Racki: Apple needs to stop trying to make the world a better place and just accept that there is good stuff out there that uses flash

I agree with you about apple in general, but flash is inherently crappy…99% of the time that I have a problem with the internet and/or a browser crash it’s flash related. Yes there are good things that use flash, but flash isn’t what makes them good. lol…if that makes sense.

Well, mostly agree on that.. they would be better off using something other than Flash, but without the flash content they are useless. :P (my point being that while Flash may not be great, there are still big sites that use that for content that you would not want to visit their site without seeing.. ex. Youtube.. although not sure if they have a Flash alternative on their site now)

Exactly what I wanted to hear:

From Dan Tencer’s Twat: “Oilers room very disappointed tonight. Rebuild, shmeebuild if you ask the players right now. They want to win.”

13. hemmerlady says:

14. Haboiler says:

I was at the game tonite and Hall was nothing short of sensational. I thought he had a couple of great looks for his first. Glad he got the 2nd star. He made Cogs and Brule wake up a bit I think. Glad to see Renney send a message to the 4th Line. Be better or we will bring up some from the farm.

15. John says:

I agree Haboil; best game I’ve seen Hall play this year so far. He came so close to scoring a pair tonight I actually felt really bad for him :( Two more notes from tonight; that first period was right out of the ’09-’10 handbook (puke), Penner had reason to be a little grumpy but no reason to throw his stick over the glass like a child. Glad Renney benched him after his misconduct was over.

BTW, does Backstrom wear Kryptonite in his jock when he plays the Oil? Jeezus!

hemmerlady: Racki, I had already set my name – but apparently I was de-classified to anonymous. As far as I could see, I was logged on. Guess I’ll have to sign up for the thing next time

I’m guessing that you closed out or timed out or something to that effect. Your best bet is just to register on that thing and log in and then you can add your avatar and it will remember you.

Haboiler: Yah, for sure they were easily the worst line on the night and the only line that wasn’t flying.

Time on Ice:
    Stortini – 0:58 (2 shifts)
    Jones – 1:03 (3 shifts)

2 goals against.. not the way to get in the coaches good books.

17. Trogdor says:

In case anyone was interested.

Player FOW FOL
    Horcoff 15 12
    Gagner 13 5
    Eberle 0 1
    Brule 8 4
    Fraser 1 2
    Cogliano 4 3

About 60% on the dot last night which is great. Hopefully they can keep it up.